ECT SALVATION: OLD TESTAMENT VS NEW

Matthew 22

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Luke 16

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Matthew 22

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

so you just quote scripture

and that proves what?

Did you understand the passage? If so you would have known.

And who can improve on God's clear, pure word? I could never, and the issue is always,

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Spending one's life in vain bickering is also just a senseless waste, actually a sign of borderline sociopathic issues, not spirituality.

Levolor

It just happened...

In Christ is in His Body as a member of the Church...

Christ in us is the key to the puzzle...

But what is the difference between Christ in us and an Old Testament Saint being saturated with the Holy Spirit? I do not think that there is some experiential measure we have that can judge the difference... So it is not experientially discerned from personal experience... At least at the beginning...

Paul writes we have the Nous of Christ...

What does that even MEAN??

We do know that having the Nous of Christ is contingent upon holding the Mystery of the Faith (of Christ) in a pure (purified or cleansed) conscience... But in the Ekonomia of Christ, where he sends forth His Apostles to disciple all the Nations, teaching them ALL THINGS that He has commanded them to be carefully and precisely observing [the obedience of doing Christ's will in His Body, the Apostolic Church], and baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, what exactly has to happen in order that we come into possession of the Nous of Christ?

Because at some point, you see, Paul can say: "Not I, but Christ IN me..." And this in the Discipleship of denying one's self and taking up one's Cross daily, and following Christ, as this is discipled by the Body of Christ in obedience to Christ...

So it is a big deal...

Mind you...

Good night!

Arsenios

Good Afternoon to you! :)

Yes. I totally agree; it is a big deal.

... what exactly has to happen in order that we come into possession of the Nous of Christ?

This leads me into asking you something that I have wondered for the past couple of days what the Orthodoxy answer would be, and have had the intention of asking you. Sure, I could have googled, but the time has now presented itself! Praise God~Hallelujah! Isn't that just like God?

Does Orthodoxy have anything to say about the dark night of the soul wherein (here comes the answer to your question...) the soul that sins dies? (Ezekiel 18:20a)

Blessings to you always.

TFTn5280

What is the difference between Salvation in the Old Testament and that found in the New Testament?

Christ said that the least in the Kingdom of Heaven is greater than the greatest of the Old Testament Prophets, John the Baptist...

What was Salvation in the OT?
What IS Salvation in Christ?

Are they different?
The same?

Arsenios

In the OT faith was credited to Abraham as righteousness. Via that illustration, we realize that it was the same faith that was credited to all the OT saints (see Heb 11), righteousness credited to them as well. But what was the substance of that faith, and of that righteousness? Post haste after the declaration that his faith had opened the door to righteousness, Abraham asked God for some kind of evidence that HE, God, was serious about this faith concept, so in response God told Abraham to prepare a "blood-cut" sacrifice, separating the pieces that they might pass through them, thereby establishing a covenant between them that would NEVER be broken and would find fulfillment in Abraham's seed (sperm). Abraham did what God requested and cut the pieces. But at the time that they were to pass through the pieces, establishing the covenant between the two of them, God caused a conscious stupor to fall upon Abraham. Abraham, conscious but unable to move, watched as two representatives passed through the blood-soaked ground of that offering. There the Father established a covenant with his Son ~ the Son representing Abraham and through him all the nations, thus everybody ~ that would never be broken.

I am certain that Abraham came out of that experience knowing full well that the Son would go to his death for him and those whom he represented in his seed, the Son, his Seed, being the representation of both himself and the blood-soaked sacrifice of that offering. We may know this via Hebrews 11 where we learn that the faithful obedience that led Abraham to sacrifice his own son of promise, was shrouded in his belief that Isaac God would resurrect, the Seed promise must having to pass through him to find fulfillment.

Via St Paul in the NT we meet that "Seed" sigular in Jesus Christ, he the one who fulfilled the covenant, establishing its everlasting substance, the substance of OT faith, Christ himself being the fidelity of the wavering faith both of those OT saints and ourselves by faith in him. In the same context that Paul writes of Christ being that Seed (sperma), he writes these words: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith, the faithfulness of the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me" (my translation: Gal 2.20).

In the startling words of St Paul our hunches are confirmed: the blood-cut covenant between God and Abraham was Unilateral in nature. God himself in the underlying hypostaseis of Father and Son acted in unison to bring to fulfillment the covenant cut with us all, via Abraham in our own stupor. By faith we all enter into the covenant already vicariously fulfilled on our behalf by the faithfulness of the Son of God to his Father.

Therefore there is but one salvation: that provided for us, fully fulfilled in Jesus Christ. Now in that fulfillment we may rest in surety via the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that our faith too is reckoned to us as righteousness, in the faithfulness of the Son of God who loves us and gave himself for us, Christ being the substance both of our faith and our righteousness.

Last edited:

Krsto

Everyone needed it. Righteous or un-righteous. It makes no difference when we understand the scriptures are referring to Adam's transgression NO MAN could rectify because all mankind was born "unqualified" to do so. If you need to know why all of mankind was "unqualified" perhaps we can discuss it.

My good man, if you will read the relevant passage in Romans regarding "original sin" you will see that the ONLY thing Adam's transgression determined was the penalty for sin, which was death. Jesus' teaching reveals that that death is not eternal for all men. He taught those who love God and love man will inherit eternal life. Eternal life starts today. Funny how there is no such term as "eternal death". Ever wonder why?

Arsenios

Before [Adam] committed the deed, God was not present
else why would He coming looking for Adam?

God did not come looking for Adam until AFTER Adam 'committed the deed'...

Nothing is ever hidden frpm God when He wants to find you.

God never needs or wants to find you - You are always before Him...

It is YOU who NEED the FINDING of God...

Sin loves to hide...
As Adam hid...
And covered himself...
In shame...

God did not ask "Adam where ARE you?" because He did not know exactly where Adam was, but did so for ADAM's benefit... But Adam remained unrepentant...

With Jesus, it would also would have been unnecessary for the angels to come and minister to Him after 40 days of being left alone..

Not in His HUMAN NATURE...

Human nature needs ministering...

Arsenios

Arsenios

:baby:
Eph 4:1-6 KJV I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, (2) With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; (3) Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (4) There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; (5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism, (6) One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
I guess that Paul missed that one gospel thing. Maybe he was late to class that day.

Those words ARE the ONE GOSPEL...

NEXT!!

Arsenios

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
My good man, if you will read the relevant passage in Romans regarding "original sin" you will see that the ONLY thing Adam's transgression determined was the penalty for sin, which was death. Jesus' teaching reveals that that death is not eternal for all men. He taught those who love God and love man will inherit eternal life. Eternal life starts today. Funny how there is no such term as "eternal death". Ever wonder why?

have you heard about the second death?

what do you think that is?

Arsenios

after that sin, no salvation was available until Jesus did what He did

So then is David speaking falsely when he asks God to RESTORE unto him the JOY OF THY SALVATION??

what are you thinking?

You have not accounted for the Salvation which David had, then lost when he sinned, and regained when he repented...

Back at ya!

A.

Arsenios

Good Afternoon to you! :)

You woke up finally...

Yes. I totally agree; it is a big deal.

'Tain't gittin' no smaler neither...

This leads me into asking you something that I have wondered for the past couple of days what the Orthodoxy answer would be, and have had the intention of asking you. Sure, I could have googled, but the time has now presented itself! Praise God~Hallelujah! Isn't that just like God?

Does Orthodoxy have anything to say about the dark night of the soul wherein (here comes the answer to your question...) the soul that sins dies? (Ezekiel 18:20a)

Blessings to you always.

The LXX reads literally: "The sinning soul shall die." It is referring to the fate of that soul at the Last Judgement... Where the wicked shall be deprived of God's Right Hand... It is the second death... The first is separation from body... The second is separation from God... We are baptized into the first... And through obedience to Christ in the Faith of Christ, we do not taste of the second, nor even the first, though we die a martyr's death in the teeth of wild beasts...

I have gone through the "dark night of the soul" in this life, and gave up my life there, and was reborn... But the real rebirth came when I was baptized into Christ...

And the difference was NOT the presence vs absence of the Holy Spirit... And it is this difference that this thread is about...

Arsenios

Arsenios

first you have to account for the so called salvation he had

I did that - I quoted you the words he himself wrote in Psalm 51 [our Psalm 50]... He cannot say those words without having HAD the Joy of God's Salvation before he was DEPRIVED of it when he committed murder and adultery...

OK - Then you do not have a basis to say that there was no Salvation in the Old Testament...

Arsenios

TFTn5280

I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Job 42:5

Before the end of the book of Job, Job has only known of God by others speaking of Him. Here at the end of the book, Job understands because He sees Him for himself/Job.

What does Job understand? Job did ask many questions and he came to understand the answers. One thing for sure, Job came to know is not to fear. Job 3:25

A related verse to Job's seeing:

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2

Somewhere we must work these words into our narrative. In the middle of his story, Job declares, "For I know that my Kinnsmen Redeemer lives (go'el and he shall stand at last on the earth. And after my skin is destroyed, this I know: That in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another. How my heart yearns within me" (Job 19.25-27).