Robin Williams commits suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doormat

Doormat and SOZO, two peas in a pod.

Don't forget this M.D., too!

Now, this notion of the “chemical imbalance” has been much in the news lately, and a lot of misinformation has been written about it—including by some doctors who ought to know better 2. In the article I referenced, I argued that “…the “chemical imbalance” notion was always a kind of urban legend—never a theory seriously propounded by well-informed psychiatrists.”1 Some readers felt I was trying to “re-write history”, and I can understand their reaction—but I stand by my statement.

Of course, there certainly are psychiatrists, and other physicians, who have used the term “chemical imbalance” when explaining psychiatric illness to a patient, or when prescribing a medication for depression or anxiety. Why? Many patients who suffer from severe depression or anxiety or psychosis tend to blame themselves for the problem. They have often been told by family members that they are “weak-willed” or “just making excuses” when they get sick, and that they would be fine if they just picked themselves up by those proverbial bootstraps. They are often made to feel guilty for using a medication to help with their mood swings or depressive bouts.

So, some doctors believe that they will help the patient feel less blameworthy by telling them, “You have a chemical imbalance causing your problem.” It’s easy to think you are doing the patient a favor by providing this kind of “explanation”, but often, this isn’t the case. Most of the time, the doctor knows that the “chemical balance” business is a vast oversimplification.​

Do you disagree with Dr. Pies above? Simple question.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Now, this notion of the “chemical imbalance” has been much in the news lately, and a lot of misinformation has been written about it—including by some doctors who ought to know better 2. In the article I referenced, I argued that “…the “chemical imbalance” notion was always a kind of urban legend—never a theory seriously propounded by well-informed psychiatrists.”1 Some readers felt I was trying to “re-write history”, and I can understand their reaction—but I stand by my statement.

Of course, there certainly are psychiatrists, and other physicians, who have used the term “chemical imbalance” when explaining psychiatric illness to a patient, or when prescribing a medication for depression or anxiety. Why? Many patients who suffer from severe depression or anxiety or psychosis tend to blame themselves for the problem. They have often been told by family members that they are “weak-willed” or “just making excuses” when they get sick, and that they would be fine if they just picked themselves up by those proverbial bootstraps. They are often made to feel guilty for using a medication to help with their mood swings or depressive bouts.

So, some doctors believe that they will help the patient feel less blameworthy by telling them, “You have a chemical imbalance causing your problem.” It’s easy to think you are doing the patient a favor by providing this kind of “explanation”, but often, this isn’t the case. Most of the time, the doctor knows that the “chemical balance” business is a vast oversimplification.​

Do you disagree with Dr. Pies above? Simple question.

All I know is that medication helps me.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Do you disagree with Dr. Pies above? Simple question.[/QUOTE

Yeah?

S0ZO

In case you missed it SOZO, care to answer this?
Arthur, pragmatism is not science. surely you know this. There is no test to determine causation, so you are just interfering with symptoms. You can alter anyone's thinking/behavior with a drug or a lobotomy.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Don't get off your meds unless it is OK'ed by your doctor.

Doormat introduce me a book "potatoes and not Prozac". It explained how chemical imbalance occur. So author is not denying chemical imbalance. she found natural way to balance brain chemical.

I am on this diet and it seems to be working so I will try to take meds off if I can live without it. Then I will know that there is natural way to balance chemical if that works.

I just started this diet only a few months ago. I will let you know how it is working and if I can live without meds.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Because SSRIs do what they are supposed to do.

As you know from experience now, a potato can work, too.

You haven't tried just the potato method alone yet.

I will know if it is really working without meds. I am still on meds.

drbrumley

All I know is that medication helps me.

And that's great. But don't rule out something better IMO..

Do you or a family member suffer from attention deficit disorder (ADHD), autism, mental depression, post-natal depression, autism, schizophrenia, anorexia, bipolar disorder or any behavior disorder?

It’s a fact that most people with chronic mental problems would like to wean themselves off of psychiatric drugs commonly prescribed for these conditions, but just precisely how to do that is the question.

Before you learn more about this topic, ask yourself an important question: who would you listen to for advice about weaning away from psychiatric drugs?

Would you listen to a well-qualified PhD who has studied more than 25,000 patients with mental disorders and who has obtained over 3 million chemistries from blood, urine and tissue samples from over 25,000 patients over a 35-year period?

Would you listen to a man who has studied every behavioral disorder ranging from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, autism, depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, all the way to severe cases of violent behavior exhibited by toughened criminals (including chemical analyses obtained from more than 25 serial killers and mass murderers)?

My bet is you would certainly listen to what a man like this has to say. And that man is William J. Walsh PhD, a recognized expert in the field of nutritional medicine and founder of the non-profit Walsh Research Institute in Naperville, Illinois. Medical examiners, coroners, Scotland Yard and the FBI have also listened to him.

Weaning Away From Psychiatric Drugs – Finally a Way Out

Maybe for you, maybe not. :idunno:

Arthur Brain

Arthur, pragmatism is not science. surely you know this. There is no test to determine causation, so you are just interfering with symptoms. You can alter anyone's thinking/behavior with a drug or a lobotomy.

There's enough proof that medication helps schizophrenics. When he stopped taking his meds, within the space of a week he reverted into a state where actual reality was blurred into his hallucinatory state. It was impossible to have a conversation with him because he was on a completely inward and separate tangent. He thought people were aliens. He was picked up by the police wandering outside a supermarket with no shoes on talking gibberish. The same police came to my house and I told them he was on haloperidol and that he'd stopped taking it.

They had him sectioned in a psychiatric hospital under the mental health act for a month where he recovered with the re-introduction of his medication along with monitoring and help from psychiatric nurses both in the hospital and for two years after he was released.

It was distressing for all concerned and the simple fact is his meds work. They help him to be aware of his actual surroundings and reality if they don't actually cure his affliction. So what would you suggest? That he stop taking them?

S0ZO

There's enough proof that medication helps schizophrenics. When he stopped taking his meds, within the space of a week he reverted into a state where actual reality was blurred into his hallucinatory state. It was impossible to have a conversation with him because he was on a completely inward and separate tangent. He thought people were aliens. He was picked up by the police wandering outside a supermarket with no shoes on talking gibberish. The same police came to my house and I told them he was on haloperidol and that he'd stopped taking it.

They had him sectioned in a psychiatric hospital under the mental health act for a month where he recovered with the re-introduction of his medication along with monitoring and help from psychiatric nurses both in the hospital and for two years after he was released.

It was distressing for all concerned and the simple fact is his meds work. They help him to be aware of his actual surroundings and reality if they don't actually cure his affliction. So what would you suggest? That he stop taking them?
There are literally thousands of people with similar erratic behaviors in this world, and you are asking me to tell you how to deal specifically with someone I've never met, but I won't. I will say this, I would have never put him on psychotropic meds to begin with, but it is also dangerous to just stop taking them.

There is no evidence that his behavior is associated to what you call schizophrenia (since there is no such thing). In fact, it's just a nmae given to unexplained behaviors so that drugs can be prescribed. You need to provide a complete history in order to make some analysis as to why the erratic behavior. I know that you will scoff, but it is entirely possible that it is spiritual in nature. It could be an actual brain trauma. It could be a food allergy. Just because drugs change someone's behavior to a functional state, does not prove anything.

Arthur Brain

There are literally thousands of people with similar erratic behaviors in this world, and you are asking me to tell you how to deal specifically with someone I've never met, but I won't. I will say this, I would have never put him on psychotropic meds to begin with, but it is also dangerous to just stop taking them.

The reason why he was put on medication is because his awareness of the real world was descending into hallucination. If you'd denied him such you wouldn't have been able to talk to him, counsel him or reason with him. There's a reason why these drugs are prescribed in such cases, because they help. With other afflictions they don't and I'm not an advocate of pills as a be all end all solution to all ails anyway. I'm not going to deny that in plenty of cases they're necessary.

There is no evidence that his behavior is associated to what you call schizophrenia (since there is no such thing). In fact, it's just a nmae given to unexplained behaviors so that drugs can be prescribed. You need to provide a complete history in order to make some analysis as to why the erratic behavior. I know that you will scoff, but it is entirely possible that it is spiritual in nature. It could be an actual brain trauma. It could be a food allergy. Just because drugs change someone's behavior to a functional state, does not prove anything.

I'm not sure how you can call someone being unable to recognize reality as a 'behaviour' frankly. You may as well say that a victim of dementia is choosing to forget stuff...

If it was spiritual in nature then how come the medication he receives helps him to stay grounded in actual reality?

S0ZO

Arthur, I addressed all these questions about why drugs alter thoughts and behavior. Go back and read them. Cocaine can help people to cope by altering the brain and giving the subject a false sense of reality so that they function in a "normal" state. A person can have a brain tumor and experience severe headaches that lead to the inability to think or function. You can give them pain medications to function "normally", but have done nothing about the tumor. Understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.