Roanoke schools end Christian ministry to football players

Jose Fly

Roanoke, Roanoke County schools end Christian ministry to football players

Roanoke and Roanoke County public schools have put a stop to an outside group’s Christian ministry to football players following at least two complaints.

The Freedom from Religion Foundation sent letters to both school districts last month that called attention to the Roanoke Area Fellowship of Christian Athletes’ “watermelon ministry.” The foundation asked the districts to halt the practice of allowing religious leaders to meet with students during school activities.

Officials from both districts said that until the letter arrived, they were unaware of the watermelon ministries, where staff from the Fellowship of Christian Athletes brought watermelon slices to share with football players during summer practices. During the visits, fellowship staff talked with students about their faith, according to Facebook posts from the Christian group, some of which date to 2008.

Both districts said they have ended the practice and talked with coaches and staff about what is allowed.

“Roanoke County Schools believes in the separation of church and state,” Superintendent Greg Killough said. “We want to maintain and ensure that that practice is being followed.”

“When this information came to our attention, we responded immediately,” according to a Roanoke City Public Schools statement issued by spokesman Justin McLeod. “We met with the appropriate people and made it very clear that separation of church and state is the law of the land. We feel the matter is under control and we will monitor this very closely.”

Good call. Nice to see school officials taking appropriate action once they realized what had been going on. :up:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Good call. Nice to see school officials taking appropriate action once they realized what had been going on. :up:

Gosh Mr. Fly, with all of the murders going on in schools these days one would think that things like "Love thy neighbor as you'd love yourself" would be appreciated being taught on school grounds.

Regarding the lie regarding "Separation of Church and State" : You are aware that the Bible was used in public schools throughout US history aren't you?

oatmeal

Gosh Mr. Fly, with all of the murders going on in schools these days one would think that things like "Love thy neighbor as you'd love yourself" would be appreciated being taught on school grounds.

Regarding the lie regarding "Separation of Church and State" : You are aware that the Bible was used in public schools throughout US history aren't you?

Well stated.

Reminds me of a story I read about school shootings. A child prays to God, "Why didn't you stop those evil people from murdering those children?" God replies, "I am not allowed in schools anymore."

The Supreme Court made a huge mistake on how they interpreted the First Amendment.

The authors of the Constitution depended on Biblical literacy and understanding among the population.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
What about the fact that most members of a football team pray to the Father to help them win the game?

Where do you get your "facts" from? I highly doubt that you've ever been in a team prayer huddle, but it never involves praying to God for a win. Amongst other things coaches and players pray for the safety and well being (health) of both teams.

Both sides do that, and it certainly is a good thing: Every game played tells us who God is really rooting for. The opposite team has to be from Satan.

You've really outdone yourself with this asinine post.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Where do you get your "facts" from? I highly doubt that you've ever been in a team prayer huddle, but it never involves praying to God for a win. Amongst other things coaches and players pray for the safety and well being (health) of both teams.

Why is it asinine to note that each team prays for victory?

And to assert that football games "NEVER involves praying" for a win is silly on the face of it.

And what about Tim Tebow praying ostentatiously on the football field? (Especially when Jesus said to "Pray to the Father in secret")

Jose Fly

What about the fact that most members of a football team pray to the Father to help them win the game?

That's independent student-initiated speech, and is totally fine.

Both sides do that, and it certainly is a good thing: Every game played tells us who God is really rooting for. The opposite team has to be from Satan.

Just ask Aaron Rodgers. :chuckle:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Why is it asinine to note that each team prays for victory?

How would you know what goes on in "each teams" prayer huddle?

And to assert that football games "NEVER involves praying" for a win is silly on the face of it.

You don't know what Christian prayer involves do you?

And what about Tim Tebow praying ostentatiously on the football field? (Especially when Jesus said to "Pray to the Father in secret")

And Russell Wilson...

seahawks-pray.jpg

Tell us that if you're a "good Christian" Jesus would want you to hide your faith in Him.

Arthur Brain

Well, to be fair you'd know after your own clanger:

It's human nature for the guilty to be nervous, the innocent know that the police are their friend and wouldn't be nervous if they were telling the truth.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4473407&postcount=83

No way a bona fide cop would have spouted anything so asinine, so no real wonder you tried to sleaze your way out of it and then just ran off the thread altogether.

:mock: aCW

Last edited:

The Berean

You don't watch much sports do you? The athletes that I know pray to have a good game and not get injured. They rarely ever pray for victory. This is a common prayer before football games.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
You don't watch much sports do you? The athletes that I know pray to have a good game and not get injured. They rarely ever pray for victory. This is a common prayer before football games.

I mainly keep track of the Seahawks. I don't agree that a "victory prayer" is nonexistent.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
How would you know what goes on in "each teams" prayer huddle?
Hardly anyone outside the huddle knows what is really "going on."

You don't know what Christian prayer involves do you?
It involves repentance and forgiving others--according to the Lord's Prayer.

And Russell Wilson...

seahawks-pray.jpg

Tell us that if you're a "good Christian" Jesus would want you to hide your faith in Him.
No I don't--if I understand you correctly. Tim Tebow does not hide, nor do other players on all teams.

I don't see God as some divine vending machine, however. I look at God as a holy mystery. The definition of faith in Jesus's day simply meant trust--not belief.

shagster01

The authors of the Constitution depended on Biblical literacy and understanding among the population.

Even churches can't agree amoungst themselves on the understanding of the bible. If the founding fathers depended on the general population being able to, they were pretty stupid.