Religion Masquerading as Science

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What would you say if a guy told you there was mathematical proof that relativity was bunk?

Here is an interesting article where a group of people essentially want to stone people who do not hold their belief.

This has happened before. Once, there was a man named Galileo who believed that the planets orbited the Sun, not the Earth. His view ran counter to the prevailing view of the day, which was that the planets orbited the Earth. Because he held a dissenting view, he was placed under house arrest until his death. While we may think that being jailed for holding a different scientific opinion is a historical footnote, some modern people and groups hold the exact same mentality.

Today, if you talk about climate change and you may strike an emotional chord. Groups that support climate change want to prosecute those who hold believe something else. Belief, while extremely important in religion, is not scientific. The very notion that people want to prosecute those with differing points of view is dangerous. If any group — whether a supporter or a dissenter — cannot defend a position on scientific grounds and instead has to resort to punishment to advance their ideas, they cannot be called scientists.

They go by another name: zealots.

In Disruptive: Rewriting the Rules of Physics, I not only challeng[e] Einstein’s theory of relativity, I show why it is wrong and where Einstein made specific mistakes. There is no ambiguity or room for “interpretation.” This book challenges the prevailing view. If left to the people who authored this letter, I would face arrest, prosecution, and punishment.

Are ideas so frail that they cannot withstand challenge? Should theories be elevated to the point where they are unquestioned laws?

No. Scientific theories and interpretations of data must be able to withstand any challenge and question. We must never stifle ideas, even those that we disagree with.

source

Robert Pate

Banned
Many religious people have closed minds, that is exactly what it is CLOSED.

"Dont confuse me with what the Bible says" some say.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
What would you say if a guy told you there was mathematical proof that relativity was bunk?

Today, if you talk about climate change and you may strike an emotional chord. Groups that support climate change want to prosecute those who hold believe something else. Belief, while extremely important in religion, is not scientific. The very notion that people want to prosecute those with differing points of view is dangerous.

I have to say i do not care much about relativity, or mathematical proofs. At one time I studied higher math, but that was long ago.

As to the climate issue, I call all that bunk, and it never occurs to me anyone can, or even care to, interfere with my opinion.

I think making the statement. " I do not believe in climate change" gives it some credence, but to say nothing does not. For me, there are many issues I read about, which are irrelevant.

Stuu

I would say: "Look, here is my house, and here is my GPS. The GPS system has relativity programmed into it, to account for the relative motion of the relevant objects (satellites and the planet). Come for a long drive with me and let's see if the GPS can get us back to my house again".

Stuart

Stuu

I have to say i do not care much about relativity, or mathematical proofs. At one time I studied higher math, but that was long ago.

As to the climate issue, I call all that bunk, and it never occurs to me anyone can, or even care to, interfere with my opinion.

I think making the statement. " I do not believe in climate change" gives it some credence, but to say nothing does not. For me, there are many issues I read about, which are irrelevant.
What else are you in the habit of denying?

Stuart

Wick Stick

Drive car into garage. Leave running. Close garage door. Sit back and wait. Soon you die. The atmosphere surrounding the earth is like a garage with a closed door only bigger.
Only if your garage is full of plants and being constantly bombarded by radiation.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would say: "Look, here is my house, and here is my GPS. The GPS system has relativity programmed into it, to account for the relative motion of the relevant objects (satellites and the planet). Come for a long drive with me and let's see if the GPS can get us back to my house again".

Stuart

What if he answered that the same system programmed with his model would make your device more accurate?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Try this:

Every time you read the words "Holy Spirit" in Genesis, replace them with the words "Holy Process."

It comes close to seeming like a physics treatise.

Stuu

What if he answered that the same system programmed with his model would make your device more accurate?
I'd say that my GPS would be hundreds of metres wrong without it yet it has returned to the same position, within perhaps a metre, and so relativity works fine as it is for that purpose and probably much more accurately than that in theory, and that therefore there must be enough ambiguity to show his claim in the OP to be ridiculous.

Stuart

Stuu

Try this:

Every time you read the words "Holy Spirit" in Genesis, replace them with the words "Holy Process."

It comes close to seeming like a physics treatise.
Try replacing God in Genesis 1 with 'gravity'. That works surprisingly well.

Stuart

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
It's in the atomic clocks on board the satellites, isn't it.

Stuart
OK, point taken. The atomic clocks in the GPS satellites have been slowed down so that they tick at the same apparent rate as the atomic clocks on the GPS ground stations. Without this correction for relativity effects the GPS system would be useless.

chair

Whoever claims that will have to deal with experimental evidence that says relativity is not bunk.

I for one do not plan on buying this gentleman's book to see what his claims are.

Edit: He does present his ideas on his site. Some have actually bothered to analyze his math.

I am not sure why relativity bothers some people so much, or why this is a religious issue.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd say that my GPS would be hundreds of metres wrong without it.
What if there was a replacement model?

Relativity works fine.
What if a replacement is found to work better?

what implications would that have?

Whoever claims that will have to deal with experimental evidence that says relativity is not bunk.
Experimental results based on a mathematical model can show good results, but that does not mean the model is necessarily the best, or even correct.

I for one do not plan on buying this gentleman's book to see what his claims are.
Of course you don't.

I am not sure why relativity bothers some people so much, or why this is a religious issue.
It's not a religious issue, and I'm not sure why this discussion is bothering you. :idunno:

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
12033177_1642935789282264_1709538674340364486_n.jpg