Rebuttal of the dreadful doctrine of reprobation

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1 Corinthians 15
That the 'our' of v.3 applies to unbelievers within the church is evident from v.2:

By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

That it applies to the Corinthians when Paul first came to them - when they were unbelievers - is evident from v.1 and 3a.

Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand.

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance
You can post the same thing a dozen times and nothing changes.

As I have noted in many responses, what Paul exactly exhorted upon his first visit is not in view, rather the summary is in view. As I noted to you, I once preached a week at church on Our Lord's prayer in Gethsemane. Later when speaking to the Pastor by phone I reminded him of my message. No where did I have to repeat my entire message to him by phone. Why? He got it, because he was there. You are taking a few verses and then attempting to make them part and parcel of Paul's original Corinthian visit, when they are but summaries directed to "brothers and sisters" in the Lord. When you can produce the full texts of all of Paul's messages on his initial visit to Corinth, we may have things to discuss. As the evidence before us stands, you are importing more hermeneutical freight into these passages that they actually bear.

If you have the temerity to stand before a congregation in the pulpit and declare unequivocally to each and every person present, "Christ died for you!" then you have perverted the active and passive obedience of our Lord for those given to Him by God the Father. Naturally, you seem to think our Lord's humiliation and sacrifice was but something potential, not something actual, as you want to make God a debtor to those that "make a decision for Jesus" and is thereby obligated to grant them what they have decided.

Rather let your words be "all who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved and not be lost to Him". This is God's promise and He will not be made a liar.

AMR

Sonnet

You can post the same thing a dozen times and nothing changes.

As I have noted in many responses, what Paul exactly exhorted upon his first visit is not in view, rather the summary is in view. As I noted to you, I once preached a week at church on Our Lord's prayer in Gethsemane. Later when speaking to the Pastor by phone I reminded him of my message. No where did I have to repeat my entire message to him by phone. Why? He got it, because he was there. You are taking a few verses and then attempting to make them part and parcel of Paul's original Corinthian visit, when they are but summaries directed to "brothers and sisters" in the Lord.
No, he includes those who 'have believed in vain' (v.2). Such folk are actually told, 'Christ died for our sins'.

When you can produce the full texts of all of Paul's messages on his initial visit to Corinth, we may have things to discuss. As the evidence before us stands, you are importing more hermeneutical freight into these passages that they actually bear.

Your problem remains that Paul explicitly affirms: THIS IS WHAT WE PREACH AND THIS IS WHAT YOU BELIEVED (v.11).

'Preach' present tense - no alterations.
'Believed' past tense - when they were unbelievers.

If you have the temerity to stand before a congregation in the pulpit and declare unequivocally to each and every person present, "Christ died for you!" then you have perverted the active and passive obedience of our Lord for those given to Him by God the Father.

You think John Piper is such as you describe?

Naturally, you seem to think our Lord's humiliation and sacrifice was but something potential, not something actual, as you want to make God a debtor to those that "make a decision for Jesus" and is thereby obligated to grant them what they have decided.

Exactly as Jesus himself describes in John 3:14-16 - though, of course, the synergist has man acting under the influence of the HS.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
You should wish you could be used by God as Finney was for being a "full blown Pelegian heretic". Seems you choose [a freewill thing, ya know] to discredit what God does without your permission.

Finney paved the way to false salvation and an everlasting punishment for millions. I wouldn't be singing his prasises too much just because you think numbers are all that matters.

Sonnet

This is example of unsubstantiated doctrine (limited atonement - without any explicit verses) overriding what is clearly evident in scripture.

It seems it takes a child to shout out the truth:
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!"

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Exactly as Jesus himself describes in John 3:14-16 - though, of course, the synergist has man acting under the influence of the HS.

:duh:

1 Corinthians 12:3
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Sonnet

Does Paul scrupulously guard against ever preaching, 'Christ died for our sins,' to unbelievers? Does he use the language of the Calvinist? No, he doesn't. He just simply says, '...this is what we preach...'

And the Calvinist jumps through hoops trying to explain it away.