Purpose of Water Baptism

turbosixx

Today baptism is almost a thing of the past. I was wondering what is the purpose of water baptism from other peoples perspective. I would like to know what scriptures lead you to that conclusion.
If your understanding isn't based on scripture, where did you get it from? Pastor? Parent?

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Today baptism is almost a thing of the past.

So is NT Christianity from which many have fallen away.

It was predicted. Jesus said to not let anyone deceive you. He said even the elect would be deceived if possible.

People have embraced a gospel about Christ but not the gospel of Christ.

turbosixx

So is NT Christianity from which many have fallen away.

It was predicted. Jesus said to not let anyone deceive you. He said even the elect would be deceived if possible.

People have embraced a gospel about Christ but not the gospel of Christ.

I agree. It's clear Jesus commanded water baptism and all the apostles, Paul included, practiced it upon conversion. I find is disturbing that people don't understand what the bible says about baptism. I've met many a "Christian" that doesn't have a clue what the bible says about it. They sure can quote from the book of imagination though!

bling

Today baptism is almost a thing of the past. I was wondering what is the purpose of water baptism is from other peoples perspective. I would like to know what scriptures lead you to that conclusion.
If your understanding isn't based on scripture, where did you get it from? Pastor? Parent?

Water baptism is not a “requirement” for salvation since God does the saving, but is something Christians get to do in order to help them.
New Christians may not tap into everything that is available to them to help them experience the transformation:

I know that I needed everything God could provide to assure me of my conversion, both outwardly and mentally. God wants you to physically feel the experience of what is going on Spiritually.
You need to add to your conversion a definite time place and physical experience, which God has provided for you. We talk about being “Born again”, which comes from Nicodemus encounter with Christ (John 3 :1-21):

Being “born again” is what Jesus told Nicodemus he need to do. This requires some thinking, because Jesus does not address the questions or comments that are verbalized, but directs his comments to the persons next step in their personal spiritual development (what is on their heart spiritually). Jesus is not making some general philosophical statement (like Buddha might make) but is always addressing the audience He is talking to. We have to get into the context.
What did Nicodemus need to do next in his spiritual development?
What does Nicodemus need to be doing next? (study the Old Testament, become one of the followers of Jesus right then and there, Confess, repent, etc.)
The first thing Nicodemus might do at least is what he already knows he should do? Is that not where you would start? So what is that?
Since Nicodemus is still part of the Sanhedrin, he would not have been immersed baptized by John’s baptism. That would have got him thrown out of the Sanhedrin, but being smart Nicodemus would know he should be baptized.
John’s baptism would have been a hot topic among the religious scholars, yet the answer was obvious and they all know it (remember Jesus using it against them and causing them to quit asking him questions?)
Jesus is not going to hand out the answer to Nicodemus, since Nicodemus knows the answer, but he will make Nicodemus think about it hard, since it would already be on his mind.

Christian water baptism as seen in scripture seems to fit the “born again” scenario Christ was talking about since it: Is always adult (there are only two examples that “might include infants” but nothing definite, all the others are adult believers) water immersion to be a physical outward representation of what had or is happening spiritually in the person being baptized. It is mainly to help the individual being baptized to better grasp what is going on, but it can “witness” to others observing the baptism. It has the elements of going down under the water (burying the old man), placing your dependence in another; the person baptizing you (surrendering your life to God), being washed (having your sins washed away), rising out of the water (rising from the old dead body), and stepping forth out onto the earth (a new person). The person is walking out into the hugs of his new family. It is also a sign of your humility, since it is a humbling act anyone can simple allow someone to do it to them (so not a work) and since humility has been shown in the accept of charity (God’s free gift of undeserving forgiveness) it should just support and add to the memory of that acceptance. To refuse Christian water baptism when it is readily available might mean you are not ready to handle other responsibility like having the indwelling Holy Spirit and you are hurting yourself.

turbosixx

Water baptism is not a “requirement” for salvation since God does the saving, but is something Christians get to do in order to help them.
New Christians may not tap into everything that is available to them to help them experience the transformation:

I know that I needed everything God could provide to assure me of my conversion, both outwardly and mentally. God wants you to physically feel the experience of what is going on Spiritually.
You need to add to your conversion a definite time place and physical experience, which God has provided for you. We talk about being “Born again”, which comes from Nicodemus encounter with Christ (John 3 :1-21):

Being “born again” is what Jesus told Nicodemus he need to do. This requires some thinking, because Jesus does not address the questions or comments that are verbalized, but directs his comments to the persons next step in their personal spiritual development (what is on their heart spiritually). Jesus is not making some general philosophical statement (like Buddha might make) but is always addressing the audience He is talking to. We have to get into the context.
What did Nicodemus need to do next in his spiritual development?
What does Nicodemus need to be doing next? (study the Old Testament, become one of the followers of Jesus right then and there, Confess, repent, etc.)
The first thing Nicodemus might do at least is what he already knows he should do? Is that not where you would start? So what is that?
Since Nicodemus is still part of the Sanhedrin, he would not have been immersed baptized by John’s baptism. That would have got him thrown out of the Sanhedrin, but being smart Nicodemus would know he should be baptized.
John’s baptism would have been a hot topic among the religious scholars, yet the answer was obvious and they all know it (remember Jesus using it against them and causing them to quit asking him questions?)
Jesus is not going to hand out the answer to Nicodemus, since Nicodemus knows the answer, but he will make Nicodemus think about it hard, since it would already be on his mind.

Christian water baptism as seen in scripture seems to fit the “born again” scenario Christ was talking about since it: Is always adult (there are only two examples that “might include infants” but nothing definite, all the others are adult believers) water immersion to be a physical outward representation of what had or is happening spiritually in the person being baptized. It is mainly to help the individual being baptized to better grasp what is going on, but it can “witness” to others observing the baptism. It has the elements of going down under the water (burying the old man), placing your dependence in another; the person baptizing you (surrendering your life to God), being washed (having your sins washed away), rising out of the water (rising from the old dead body), and stepping forth out onto the earth (a new person). The person is walking out into the hugs of his new family. It is also a sign of your humility, since it is a humbling act anyone can simple allow someone to do it to them (so not a work) and since humility has been shown in the accept of charity (God’s free gift of undeserving forgiveness) it should just support and add to the memory of that acceptance. To refuse Christian water baptism when it is readily available might mean you are not ready to handle other responsibility like having the indwelling Holy Spirit and you are hurting yourself.

I appreciate your comments. You make a lot of points here but I was hoping those who respond would make a point and then provide a scripture that supports said point. If what we understand about baptism doesn't have scripture to back it up, then where is our understanding coming from.

Bradley D

I heard that baptism for the Christian was the dying to the old self (going under the water) and becoming a new person (when rising back up out of the water). Jesus was baptized by John. We know Jesus had no sins to be cleansed of. It seems to have indicated Jesus' start of His ministry.

turbosixx

I heard that baptism for the Christian

I'm curious where you heard it.

I don't disagree with your comments but I would simply suggest to understand baptism, read what the bible says about it. For example, your point here is from Romans 6.
baptism for the Christian was the dying to the old self (going under the water) and becoming a new person (when rising back up out of the water).

Rom. 6:3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for he who has died is freed from sin.

This is what I believe we should all be able to do. State what we believe and then point to a scripture where we get that understanding.

If we can't find it in scripture, then where does it come from.

Robert Pate

Banned
Today baptism is almost a thing of the past. I was wondering what is the purpose of water baptism is from other peoples perspective. I would like to know what scriptures lead you to that conclusion.

Water baptism is nothing more than a public profession on ones faith in Christ. We identify with the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. When we go down into the water that is his death. When we come out of the water that is his resurrection. Outside of that all that it does is get one wet.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus was baptized by John. We know Jesus had no sins to be cleansed of. It seems to have indicated Jesus' start of His ministry.

The law required a priest to be anointed. The holy Spirit in the form of a dove landed on Jesus to anoint him as Priest.

We are anointed as priests by the laying on of hands after being baptized in water by the Spirit.

turbosixx

Water baptism is nothing more than a public profession on ones faith in Christ. We identify with the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. When we go down into the water that is his death. When we come out of the water that is his resurrection. Outside of that all that it does is get one wet.

What scriptures do you get that understanding from? Without scriptures it's just your opinion.

turbosixx

There is very little scripture about water baptism. Paul made light of it, 1 Corinthians 1:14, 17.

I'm not sure what you call little. Most people will form an opinion of truth on just one verse. There is definitely more than one verse about water baptism.

What do you mean Paul made light of it?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is a ceremonial cleansing for those looking forward to salvation. To get water baptized after hearing the word of truth is to fall from grace.

oatmeal

Today baptism is almost a thing of the past. I was wondering what is the purpose of water baptism from other peoples perspective. I would like to know what scriptures lead you to that conclusion.

Water baptism, that is John's baptism, is a thing of the past.

As both John the B and Jesus C foretold and Luke repeats, it was replaced by a greater baptism.

That baptism is the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Or as it was called after the original outpouring on the day of Pentecost, the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ.

Acts 1:5 is one verse.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why would it be a fall from grace?

The short answer is Paul said so. The longer one is that clearly they do not believe they are dead to sin. To fall from grace does not mean losing salvation. It is the same as saying he missed the boat.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm curious what scriptures you would use to come to that conclusion?

What do you think washing with water was for? I am not going to debate the Bible any longer with people who have not read it. You are falling into that category with your question. It has been some time since I took TOL more serious.

musterion

Today baptism is almost a thing of the past.

No it isn't. Pretty much every Protestant and Evangelical and independent denomination or church has some form of water ritual. Every one of them will, at minimum, consider you to be sinning and will refuse fellowship if you question or refuse their version. Many will not believe you can possibly be forgiven without it. Catholics and the other cults go without saying.

There's pretty much only one tiny group that does not subscribe to any form of water ritual. You get one guess what it is.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Water baptism, that is John's baptism, is a thing of the past.

As both John the B and Jesus C foretold and Luke repeats, it was replaced by a greater baptism.

That baptism is the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Does this baptism of the holy Spirit take place in the mind without ceremony?

It seems marriage takes place in the mind of many with no ceremony. It used to be called shacking up.

Is spirit baptism analogous to shacking up, i.e., no ceremony?