Proof that Paul didn't preach a different gospel than Peter

Zeke

He opposed Peter not because he was preaching something contrary to what Peter was preaching but for the fisherman compromising his own opinions by eating with Gentiles, something he had done before a company of Jews came for a visit. It was about hypocrisy not separate doctrines. It put at risk the unity of the Church and so Paul had to expose him publicly.

Nonsense, Paul goes into the works of the flesh vs spirit in the rest of the letter. Acts 21, if one still excepts this questionable letter as being factual, shows the earthly (Matt 11:11, Galatians 3:10, 4:24) based Mosaic law is being taught by the James gang verses the liberty and more excellent way of the Divine Born Seed Galatians 4:26 1Cor 13, 1Cor 9:20, 10:23, Luke 17:20-21 etc........The only divide in scripture is 2Cor 3:6 concerning the temple of God Ephesians 2:22, reconciling the two natures not two literal groups of people in history which is the killer.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
If we are to conclude that Paul did not preach a different gospel than Peter, what do we do with Paul's statement "I opposed Peter to his face."

Paul's letter to the Galation church clearly shows he was fighting against a faction of Jews that did not recognize Jesus as (perhaps) divine. When he finally met with the "super apostles" (as he sarcastically referred to them) he found himself under attack.

To me this fact is revealed many times by Paul. Because all we have is Paul's letters, it is admittedly difficult to find out more details about the opposition. It is rather like listening in on a phone conversation and only hearing one side.

Bottom line, I think it is more than evident Paul was having real differences with those who actually followed the living Jesus (Peter, John and Jesus' brother James).

Because this is a conflict of theologies, I doubt that most traditional believers will accept such things in the text. I see the apostles (even Paul) as real human beings with real concerns and problems. But that view is far from regarding the apostles as somehow magically channeling the true voice of Jesus.

Danoh

James says faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone.

James says that even the demons believe God is One, and then they do something---they tremble!

Boy is that one fool bit of logic "they do something - they tremble."

And never mind that James is following the Law, as the Israel of God was supposed to, given its identification of them as a peculiar people:

Deuteronomy 4:
5 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it.

6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.

7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for?

8 And what nation is there so great, that hath statutes and judgments so righteous as all this law, which I set before you this day?

"And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law:" Acts 21:20.

"James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting." James 1:1.

When it is so cold outside that you tremble - are you doing something by an act of your will, or is it just your body reacting to the cold on its own.

When you almost get struck by some object, like an automobile - do you tremble by an act of your will, or does your body simply respond on its own in response to the threat of great pain.

You are one confused Energizer Bunny; you just keep going, and going, and going... down your confused path.

Works - an act of our will - are unacceptable because they are an act of our will.

"For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the Scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness." Rom. 4:2,3.

"So then, it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth; but of God, that showeth mercy." Rom. 9:16.

Yeah, yeah, I know; your ignorance will now jump up out of you to assert "that is ceremonial works."

You are that confused - devils do something. What ceremonial works is that.

You are... confused.

Work away, Energizer Bunny...

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

James says faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone.

Here is how James says that people are saved, and that applies to the Gentiles as well as those who lived under the law.:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (Jas.1:18).​

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
Prove that you are one of "the elect," like your "spiritual" brother Judas, and like the Lord Jesus Christ.

I haven't thought about me being the elect. I don't care about me but God loves me anyway. I havd no idea how to boast.

john w

Hall of Fame
I haven't thought about me being the elect. I don't care about me but God loves me anyway. I havd no idea how to boast.

I did not ask you whether you "thought about" being the elect. I asked you to prove it, since one of the foundations of our Clavinism/Calvinism is "elect to salvation/justification"

I will wait-for an eternity.

Puppet

BANNED
Banned
I did not ask you whether you "thought about" being the elect. I asked you to prove it, since one of the foundations of our Clavinism/Calvinism is "elect to salvation/justification"

I will wait-for an eternity.

The elects are saved sounds good to me.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Anyone--

How do you explain the boasting of Paul that he is just as good as the "super apostles" in Jerusalem? And also, the clear literal words that he "challenged Peter to his face."

Doesn't most of Galatians confirm that Paul was struggling in a real conflict with "another gospel"--the one taught by Jesus' actual and original followers?

john w

Hall of Fame
The elects are saved sounds good to me.

Translated: You were not qualified to step into the ring, as you...

giants-punter-matt-dodge-in-action-2010-farrell-a1041cd370d9e9ef.jpg

oatmeal

In a previous thread started by heir, heir closed the thread because she knows that 2 Peter 3 completely destroys her "two gospel" theory.

Here is the post that upset heir so much, that she closed the thread:

Paul said the following to the Galatians:

(Gal 1:8 KJV) But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Peter also wrote an epistle to the Galatians:

(1 Peter 1:1 KJV) Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

According to heir, Peter's epistle to the Galatians is a different gospel than Paul's epistle to the Galatians.

But, Paul tells the Galatians if anyone preaches a different gospel he preached to them, that they are to be accursed.

So, pretend your a Galatian in Galatia circa 55AD. A letter comes to your city from the Apostle Paul, and the letter says that if anyone preaches a different gospel, they are to be accursed. Then a letter comes to your city from Peter (that heir claims is a different gospel).

If what heir claims is true, then Peter, and anyone who preached what Peter sent to the Galatians would be accursed if it was really a different gospel (heir's claim)

So, it's impossible that Peter and Paul preached different gospels to the Galatians. Yet, that is what heir claims.

heir likes to quote 1 Cor 15:1-4, but she apparently doesn't read past verse 4

(1 Cor 15:11 KJV) Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

Peter's epistle and Paul's epistles addressed different issues, but God alone was the author of both.

Peter did not preach a different gospel, but he did address issues that Paul did not.

Both epistles are true, though the content of each is different.

Much like the gospel to the circumcision differs from the gospel to the uncircumcision because the needs and some the issues differed, but overall they are the same gospel that taught the same lord Jesus Christ, the same death, resurrection, grace....

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Here is how James says that people are saved, and that applies to the Gentiles as well as those who lived under the law.:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (Jas.1:18).​

James 2:10 KJV - :nono:

glorydaz

Anyone--

How do you explain the boasting of Paul that he is just as good as the "super apostles" in Jerusalem? And also, the clear literal words that he "challenged Peter to his face."

Doesn't most of Galatians confirm that Paul was struggling in a real conflict with "another gospel"--the one taught by Jesus' actual and original followers?

Is stating a fact boasting? And, I'm pretty sure it was Paul who the Risen Lord revealed Himself to on the road to Damascus. And much more.... There was no "struggle" about the Gospel from Paul's end.

2 Cor. 10:13KJV
But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you.

God's Truth

That does not mean we do not have to obey. James says faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone.