PETA wants lion hunter put to death

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
PETA wants dentist who killed Cecil the Lion put to death

July 29, 2015

For the past few days the sad, awful story of Cecil the Lion, who was allegedly lured from his sanctuary in Zimbabwe and illegally shot by Minnesota dentist Walter Palmer, has been everywhere.

Palmer has been rightfully condemned for his actions and will hopefully face legal consequences, nevertheless PETA’s official statement, direct from its president Ingrid Newkirk is shocking. In it Newkirk decries the illegal killing of Cecil the Lion but, disturbingly, appears to advocate an eye-for-an-eye approach to justice, saying of Palmer: “He needs to be extradited, charged, and, preferably, hanged.”

The statement from PETA reads in full:

For Immediate Release:
July 28, 2015

Hunting is a coward’s pastime. If, as has been reported, this dentist and his guides lured Cecil out of the park with food so as to shoot him on private property, because shooting him in the park would have been illegal, he needs to be extradited, charged, and, preferably, hanged. To get a thrill at the cost of a life, this man gunned down a beloved lion, Cecil with a high-powered weapon. All wild animals are beloved by their own mates and infants, but to hunters like this overblown, over-privileged little man, who lack empathy, understanding, and respect for living creatures, they are merely targets to kill, decapitate, and hang up on a wall as a trophy. The photograph of this dentist, smiling over the corpse of another animal, who, like Cecil, wanted only to be left in peace, will disgust every caring soul in the world.

— PETA President Ingrid Newkirk

Read more:
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/257559/peta-wants-dentist-who-killed-cecil-the-lion-put-to-death/

If only the granola crunching-tree hugging liberals became half as excited about the murder and selling of unborn baby body parts as they do when a animal is killed.

On a related note: I'd love to have a trophy room like this:

trophyroom4.jpg

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Can Lion Trophy Hunting Support Conservation?

A number of mainstream scientists, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and some conservation groups—including the World Wildlife Fund (which has not returned a request for comment on the Cecil issue)—support regulated trophy hunting. Supporters say regulated hunts raise much-needed money for conservation and help manage populations, since game officials typically try to make sure hunters target animals that are no longer able to breed or that might inhibit the reproduction of others around them.

Earlier this year, the Dallas Safari Club auctioned off a permit to shoot a black rhino and used the proceeds for conservation. The club did not have anyone available for comment Wednesday but said in a statement: “Lawful, ethical, vigilant hunters play an important role in public acceptance of sustainable hunting as a vital tool for modern wildlife conservation and management.” Club president Ben Carter previously told National Geographic that regulated trophy hunting is a tool that wildlife managers use to keep animal populations healthy and strong. “By removing counterproductive individuals from a herd, [populations] can actually grow," Carter said.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/07/150729-lion-trophy-hunting-conservation-animals-cecil/

Yet PETA would rather see these animals starve to death than be hunted.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, Cecil, the peace loving lion would probably have eaten the PETA gentleman on an off day. :chew: That said I find hunting any animal you don't eat, from a distance and with a high powered rifle, to be contemptible.

Now if you do it with a hunting knife I have no problems. If you can drop one that way more power to you.

glassjester

I do find it odd how they are approaching this. "All lives are sacred... we should kill em!"

It does seem very hypocritical.

Besides, if killing lions is a capital crime, then shouldn't PETA have been already calling for the execution of Cecil the Lion, who has undoubtedly "murdered" other lions?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well, Cecil, the peace loving lion would probably have eaten the PETA gentleman on an off day. :chew: That said I find hunting any animal you don't eat, from a distance and with a high powered rifle, to be contemptible.

Now if you do it with a hunting knife I have no problems. If you can drop one that way more power to you.

Walter Palmer used a bow and arrow, although from what I read he lured the lion out with bait.

Keep in mind that hunting permits are given out for numerous reasons (as shown in my 2nd post) :

" [to] help manage populations" is one of them.

Selaphiel

Wanting the death penalty for him is obviously ridiculous. That said, killing a beautiful animal for the sake of some braindead macho posturing is abhorrent behavior. Sure it took great courage taking down that lion with those preparations and equipment...

Lions obviously are ferocious animals, but at least they do not kill for sport. The rate at which humans causes extinction of species is alarming to say the least.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
The rate at which humans causes extinction of species is alarming to say the least.

Are lions on the endangered species list? (No). Permits are given to hunt lions for reasons I showed in my 2nd post. Palmer didn't go about it the right way, had he, he wouldn't be getting death threats from nutcase animal supposed rights activists.

Selaphiel

They are not on the endangered species list. They are however listed as a vulnerable species. Trophy hunters targeting alpha male lions is a problem, as it affects the genetics of the lion population. The problem with that is that new pack leaders tend to kill the cubs of the dead pack leader thus removing the pack leaders genes. This affects the species, pair that with habitat destruction, it can become problematic.

The lion killed was a pack leader.

Arthur Brain

Wanting the death penalty for him is obviously ridiculous. That said, killing a beautiful animal for the sake of some braindead macho posturing is abhorrent behavior. Sure it took great courage taking down that lion with those preparations and equipment...

Lions obviously are ferocious animals, but at least they do not kill for sport. The rate at which humans causes extinction of species is alarming to say the least.

Yeah, PETA's rather a nutball outfit and probably do more to hurt animal welfare than help. With regards to the rest then my sentiments exactly. Anyone who derives pleasure from killing an animal for supposed "sport" is a piece of work, so no particular surprise that Connie would like a 'trophy room' full of dead animals.

On the plus side, given his aim and if Connie were to actually go on a hunting spree, the only things in any real danger would be his own feet...

Jose Fly

In October 2014, the US Fish and Wildlife Service proposed the African lion be listed as a threatened species. AFAICT, that proposed rule has not been finalized. The USFWS sites on this are down today, likely because of this story.

Nazaroo

... I find hunting any animal you don't eat, from a distance and with a high powered rifle, to be contemptible.

(1) So how do you guys feel about military snipers?

(2) And if ISIS made a video beheading a lion, would that anger anyone?

Quetzal

(1) So how do you guys feel about military snipers?

(2) And if ISIS made a video beheading a lion, would that anger anyone?
Not a fair comparison. A military sniper is engaging a hostile target that can cause damage. If ISIS decided to take up a campaign against lions, I... I am not sure what would happen. It is a bizarre thought, really.