Paul did not write Hebrews; we do not know who did

glorydaz

Could be it was that section of Romans {esp. ch. 11}, or an unknown letter which God saw fit to let be lost to us, but I don't see it being Hebrews.
To be honest, I can't imagine Paul saying anything different than the Gospel he preaches. Someone mentioned maybe Paul had a dual purpose and message, but I really think we can rule out Paul as the author of Hebrewsl. I also think we can rule out this Timothy as being Paul's close companion. He's a brother in the Little Flock.

Heb. 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.

Brother Vinny

@Lon

Paul says that his name is in ALL of his epistles. And it's there in ALL of them but Hebrews?
Sorry for the grave-dig, and I too believe Paul wasn't the author, but it's possible (supposing he was the author) when Paul wrote 2 Thess, that it was true he'd used his name in all of his epistles up until that point in time. If Hebrews was written later by him, it doesn't make his statement in 2 Thess less true.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Sorry for the grave-dig, and I too believe Paul wasn't the author, but it's possible (supposing he was the author) when Paul wrote 2 Thess, that it was true he'd used his name in all of his epistles up until that point in time. If Hebrews was written later by him, it doesn't make his statement in 2 Thess less true.
Fact.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is what I get for looking. The author excluded himself. He was told by others. Paul was told by the Lord Jesus Christ himself. The reason it is a topic is to pervert the gospel. I see the last post was in May, and it took a minute for someone to bring this up. But it's really simple. Paul withstood Peter to his face, because he was to be blamed. He called out James in his letter for spying. Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them

3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him,

It doesn't matter who the author was, it is for the Hebrews, And if Dan P thinks Paul wrote it, he has brain damage like Joe Biden, or appears as an angel of light, and wants to create doubt after earning trust,

Right Divider

Body part

Hoping

Banned
This is what I get for looking. The author excluded himself. He was told by others. Paul was told by the Lord Jesus Christ himself. The reason it is a topic is to pervert the gospel. I see the last post was in May, and it took a minute for someone to bring this up. But it's really simple. Paul withstood Peter to his face, because he was to be blamed. He called out James in his letter for spying. Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them

3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him,

It doesn't matter who the author was, it is for the Hebrews, And if Dan P thinks Paul wrote it, he has brain damage like Joe Biden, or appears as an angel of light, and wants to create doubt after earning trust,
Where did Paul say James was spying?
I agree it doesn't matter who wrote Hebrews, but I feel we all can learn things from it whether we are Jewish or Gentile believers.
Chapters 4, 6, and 10 are especially pertinent to all the lovers of Christ Jesus.

Right Divider

Body part
Galatians

Galatians 2:4 KJV
And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:

Galatians 2:12 KJV
For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I agree it doesn't matter who wrote Hebrews, but I feel we all can learn things from it whether we are Jewish or Gentile believers.
Chapters 4, 6, and 10 are especially pertinent to all the lovers of Christ Jesus.
No one here would ever suggest that there isn't anything to learn from the books of the bible that weren't written by Paul. The entire Old Testament, the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels and the New Testament books from Hebrews through Revelation are all scripture and "profitable for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Tim. 3:16). No one is suggesting that we throw these sections of scripture out the window but merely that we read them in context which means that we have to bear in mind not only what is being said but who its being said too. Basically, when you read Hebrew or James or whatever, in order for it not to cause confusion, it must be kept in mind that you're reading someone else's mail.

Hoping

Banned
Galatians

Galatians 2:4 KJV
And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:

Galatians 2:12 KJV
For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Do you really think James, a "pillar", was a false brother or spy?
I don't.
And I don't think the visitors were spies either.

Hoping

Banned
No one here would ever suggest that there isn't anything to learn from the books of the bible that weren't written by Paul. The entire Old Testament, the teachings of Jesus in the Gospels and the New Testament books from Hebrews through Revelation are all scripture and "profitable for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Tim. 3:16). No one is suggesting that we throw these sections of scripture out the window but merely that we read them in context which means that we have to bear in mind not only what is being said but who its being said too. Basically, when you read Hebrew or James or whatever, in order for it not to cause confusion, it must be kept in mind that you're reading someone else's mail.
I'll remember that when I read the letters to the Galatians, Ephesians, Collosians, etc.
And I won't ever consider those, or any letters, not to be for me too.
I will also do all I can to heed the exhortations and admonishments of all the other letters to other foreigners.
I am a "foreigner" too, you know.
Not of this world.

Hoping

Banned
Just read the scripture. I never said that James was a false brother or a spy. That is just you misrepresenting what I said. The perfect Hoping is lying again.
I didn't say you said "James is a spy", so quit the falsity.
I asked a question because you answered my question to Mark M.

Right Divider

Body part
I didn't say you said "James is a spy", so quit the falsity.
Do you really think James, a "pillar", was a false brother or spy?
Though you asked it as a question, it's clearly an accusation and a false one at that. Stop falsely accusing.
I asked a question because you answered my question to Mark M.
I simply quoted scripture that spoke of people "spying out their liberty" that were sent by James.
I NEVER said:
  • That James was a spy
  • That James send people to spy

So you should STOP making FALSE ACCUSATIONS.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'll remember that when I read the letters to the Galatians, Ephesians, Collosians, etc.
And I won't ever consider those, or any letters, not to be for me too.
I will also do all I can to heed the exhortations and admonishments of all the other letters to other foreigners.
I am a "foreigner" too, you know.
Not of this world.
This is the sort of flippant stupidity that got you ignored in the first place. Are you simply incapable of substantive discussion?

The believers that Paul wrote too were all in the same group as you and I and so they apply directly. The epistles written by Peter, James and John were written to the Circumcision (See Galatians 2:6-9) and since you aren't of the Circumcision (i.e. Israel) then those writings can only rightly be applied in an indirect manner. When Christ returns to Israel, the reverse will be true.

Hoping

Banned
Though you asked it as a question, it's clearly an accusation and a false one at that. Stop falsely accusing.

I simply quoted scripture that spoke of people "spying out their liberty" that were sent by James.
I NEVER said:
  • That James was a spy
  • That James send people to spy

So you should STOP making FALSE ACCUSATIONS.
I know you didn't write that James was a spy, as it was written by Mark M in post #64.
You cut in with your comments: comments nor meant for you.

Last edited:

Hoping

Banned
This is the sort of flippant stupidity that got you ignored in the first place. Are you simply incapable of substantive discussion?

The believers that Paul wrote too were all in the same group as you and I and so they apply directly. The epistles written by Peter, James and John were written to the Circumcision (See Galatians 2:6-9) and since you aren't of the Circumcision (i.e. Israel) then those writings can only rightly be applied in an indirect manner. When Christ returns to Israel, the reverse will be true.
By ignoring exhortations and admonissions to the believing Jews, you harm yourself greatly.
As some here have stated, there is no longer "Greek or Jew, etc", and all are one in Christ.
Why segregate any one group saved by the grace of God from another part of the same group?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
By ignoring exhortations and admonissions to the believing Jews, you harm yourself greatly.
I haven't ignored anything. I haven't suggested that anyone ignore anything.

You knew that when you wrote this. You are therefore a liar.

So much for fools who claim sinless perfection.
As some here have stated, there is no longer "Greek or Jew, etc", and all are one in Christ.
That's true of those in the Body of Christ. It was not true of those in the Kingdom, who were of Israel, who were of the Circumcision.

Why segregate any one group saved by the grace of God from another part of the same group?
I didn't. God did. I'm simply reading what the bible says and applying it accordingly.

Galatians 2:6 As for those who were held in high esteem—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism—they added nothing to my message. 7 On the contrary, they recognized that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised. 8 For God, who was at work in Peter as an apostle to the circumcised, was also at work in me as an apostle to the Gentiles. 9 James, Peter and John, those esteemed as pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the circumcised.​
How much more explicit do you need it to be?