Paul did not write Hebrews; we do not know who did

glorydaz

Ah, I knew it. The Little Flock.

Determining the audience is an important task for dispensational Bible study. The book of Hebrews hosts so large a controversy over the author that the audience is often overlooked. Just as important as the author in determining application is the audience.

Jesus called this believing audience his “little flock” (Luke 12:32). This little flock was the Jewish church at Pentecost, and after the scattering became the audience of the book of Hebrews.

Now, I can read further.

Right Divider

Body part
eye-icons-collection-vector-id1202159905

glorydaz

👀

There's some fresh eyes fer ya!
Okay, well and good. Let's put Paul aside for just a minute and talk about the writer's intent.

God has a plan for Israel, as well as for the body of Christ.
There will be Jews, saved under the kingdom gospel (if they endure to the end).
And this message in Hebrews is for those who have accepted their Messiah.

I'm wondering if God used Paul to communicate with these Kingdom Jews, for who knew better than Paul what his fellow countrymen needed to hear. I'm thinking there were very few Jews saved under Paul's gospel, so this would be Paul's opportunity to speak to God's chosen people.

musterion

Okay, well and good. Let's put Paul aside for just a minute and talk about the writer's intent.

God has a plan for Israel, as well as for the body of Christ.
There will be Jews, saved under the kingdom gospel (if they endure to the end).
And this message in Hebrews is for those who have accepted their Messiah.

I'm wondering if God used Paul to communicate with these Kingdom Jews, for who knew better than Paul what his fellow countrymen needed to hear. I'm thinking there were very few Jews saved under Paul's gospel, so this would be Paul's opportunity to speak to God's chosen people.

Peter, James, and John were fully capable of communicating this information to those to whom they were confined in ministry {per Galatians 2}, as the information is inspired. And it still doesn't explain why Christ wouldn't have Paul sign his name.

Perhaps... it's anonymous because the full application is yet future?

musterion

By the way,

2:3 – “confirmed unto US by THEM that heard Him”
Them means the 12 but also includes Paul, who heard the Lord many times.

Paul very well could have said, "Confirmed unto me by Him," because it was.

Meaning someone other than the 12 or Paul had to write Hebrews, yes?

Last edited:

glorydaz

Peter, James, and John were fully capable of communicating this information to those to whom they were confined in ministry {per Galatians 2}, as the information is inspired. And it still doesn't explain why Christ wouldn't have Paul sign his name.

Perhaps... it's anonymous because the full application is yet future?
Yeah, you're right about Peter, James, and John, but why didn't they mention their own names like they did in their letters? Or did they. I'm having a mental lapse here.

Yes, it's definitely looking for a near future coming of the Kingdom. Maybe Paul thought if he signed his name, they'd refuse to read it.
I can't help but think of that point Peter made about Paul having written to those who were scattered. Dan brought it up and I'd just heard it mentioned at another source.

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

musterion

Yeah, you're right about Peter, James, and John, but why didn't they mention their own names like they did in their letters? Or did they. I'm having a mental lapse here.
Don't know.
Yes, it's definitely looking for a near future coming of the Kingdom. Maybe Paul thought if he signed his name, they'd refuse to read it.
Maybe.
I can't help but think of that point Peter made about Paul having written to those who were scattered. Dan brought it up and I'd just heard it mentioned at another source.

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

Question: wouldn't Romans ch. 9-11 cover exactly that topic, of greatest interest to Kingdom believers?

glorydaz

By the way,

Them means the 12 but also includes Paul, who heard the Lord many times.

Paul very well could have said, "Confirmed unto me by Him," because it was.

Meaning someone other than the 12 or Paul had to write Hebrews, yes?
Oh yeah, I get it now. You're absolutely right. It can't be Paul or the 12.

3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

glorydaz

Don't know.

Maybe.

Question: wouldn't Romans ch. 9-11 cover exactly that topic, of greatest interest to Kingdom believers?
Yes, indeed. I'm sure that word got out to Jews everywhere, and Paul probably made sure it was sent to the scattered....through Peter probably.

musterion

Could be it was that section of Romans {esp. ch. 11}, or an unknown letter which God saw fit to let be lost to us, but I don't see it being Hebrews.

glorydaz

Could be it was that section of Romans {esp. ch. 11}, or an unknown letter which God saw fit to let be lost to us, but I don't see it being Hebrews.
Yeah, I have to agree. I love those little clues. Thanks, brother.
Until we meet again under similar circumstances. :)

Oh.....Peter has some more information hidden there in that bit of mention of Paul.
I'm very curious about the "wisdom" Paul wrote.
One would expect it was his gospel, but why would that be hard to understand?

musterion

Just spitballing here... but maybe it was more hard to accept than to understand?

In Romans 9-11, Paul explains why Israel was set aside after Jewish believers had every right to expect the culmination of all things. Maybe it was as tough to accept as to understand? Anyway, the mystery man would have been the one with the wisdom to fully explain it.

musterion

Ah!

v. 16 As also in ALL his epistles, speaking in them OF THESE THINGS; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Peter references Paul's writings as a whole, in which the topic of Christ's longsuffering is addressed.

And do we know people who twist to their own destruction these very scriptures about God's delay in restoring Israel? I think we do.

musterion

Also, Peter tells them...

Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things {new heaven, new earth}, be diligent that ye MAY be found of Him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

Hebrews says the same thing as this, right?

Peter could have written the content of Hebrews as it aligns with the content of his own named epistle.

But members of the Body are already spotless and blameless in Christ, and already have peace with God.

Last edited:

glorydaz

Also, Peter tells them...

Hebrews says the same thing as this, right?

Peter could have written the content of Hebrews as it aligns with the content of his own named epistle.

But members of the Body are already spotless and blameless in Christ, and already have peace with God.
Yep, we didn't have to wait, but the kingdom saints will not have their sins blotted out until He sets up His Kingdom.

Notice how Peter puts this, " Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless." We are IN HIM as you point out.

In other words, when He comes in His glory, "ye may be found".
That matches exactly what Peter tells us in Acts 3.

Things that are different are not the same.