Obeying Jesus' teachings or commands is requirement for salvation.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And GT as Romans makes very clear you and all men were sinner's, committed to evil prior to being awakened to Jesus.
This completely contradicts your statement above.

And GT you have also made it known, ( in previous post ) you do not "SIN" . You are doing the same now. I thought you grew through this but apparently have not.

"He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.” Luke 24:45

In this post :
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4459335&postcount=769

you state one must "Repent and obey" to be saved. But this is impossible. As one must first be enlightened to the truths of Jesus, before they can repent, then obey.

Look GT, It is better to admit we make mistakes, ( I certainly have ) , so that we can make corrections.

"I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’" Acts 26:17-18

Fellow Brothers and Sisters.....
"For this reason we... do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power,  for all patience and longsuffering with joy;
 giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of  the inheritance of the saints in the light.  He has delivered us from  the power of darkness  and  conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,  in whom we have redemption  through His blood, the forgiveness of sins." Colossians 1:9-14

Repent is to turn from ones past life without Christ to one which regards Him and what He says.

One can not be saved if not obeying what Jesus says to do.

If you think Christ obeyed His Father so you do not have to, then you will perish.

Heb 5:9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

LA

God's Truth

GT, there is quite a bit more to Romans than you presented. I do not see Romans 6:16 , as easily explained in a single scripture as you postured it....

From Slaves of Sin to Slaves of God
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!

16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?.....

But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

Note, Of doctrine which you were delivered. Hence, delivered by the doctrine, word of God, which saved you. Setting you free from sin, ( by salvation) .

I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.

For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.

What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death.

22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death,

but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

You are doing works before you are saved; whether works of sin or works of obedience.

Before you are saved you are either doing EVIL WORKS OF SIN, or you are obeying Jesus to be saved.

Romans 6:16 PAUL says, "...whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness..."

God's Truth

And GT as Romans makes very clear you and all men were sinner's, committed to evil prior to being awakened to Jesus.

Not all men only do evil all the time.

You need to be careful what you say, for what do you mean to be "awakened" to Jesus?

Could you give the scripture that speaks of an awakening?

We hear about Jesus and read about him in the Holy Bible. Is that what you call an awakening?

This completely contradicts your statement above.

Again, when Jesus says to obey him, he was not being ironic.

He was not teasing people he knew he was or was not going to 'awaken' first.

You have been misled by false teachers.

And GT you have also made it known, ( in previous post ) you do not "SIN" . You are doing the same now. I thought you grew through this but apparently have not.

Since you insist that I sin, it must mean that it is you who sins. Tell me, what sins are you doing that you do not stop doing?

Do you think that the scriptures are mistaken?

1 Peter 4:1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin.

According to you Peter is lying.

According to you John is lying too.

1 John 3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

Why do you put the scriptures in dispute? How do you think anyone will believe the rest of the scriptures when you say there are some scriptures that are not true?

"He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.” Luke 24:45

As I have always said, Jesus gives understanding to those who obey him. Do you think those people in Luke 24 did not obey him?

In this post :
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4459335&postcount=769

you state one must "Repent and obey" to be saved. But this is impossible. As one must first be enlightened to the truths of Jesus, before they can repent, then obey.

What do you mean they must be "enlightened".

No one will be enlightened unless they obey Jesus.

Again, Jesus was not being absurd when he tells us to repent.

Why do you think that about Jesus? I believe you were taught that by false teachers.

Look GT, It is better to admit we make mistakes, ( I certainly have ) , so that we can make corrections.

I hope that you really have made corrections in your false beliefs, and I hope that you will continue to even now.

"I now send you, to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’" Acts 26:17-18

In Acts 26:17 Jesus tells Paul he is sending him to the Jews and Gentiles to OPEN THEIR EYES and turn them from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God. How do you think Paul is going to open the eyes of the Jews and the Gentiles? Remember, faith comes from hearing the word, and Jesus sent Paul to preach the gospel. 1 Corinthians 1:18 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel–not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Paul is going to open their eyes by preaching to them.

Fellow Brothers and Sisters.....
"For this reason we... do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power,  for all patience and longsuffering with joy;
 giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of  the inheritance of the saints in the light.  He has delivered us from  the power of darkness  and  conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,  in whom we have redemption  through His blood, the forgiveness of sins." Colossians 1:9-14

God gives understanding to those who obey Him. Read the scriptures more carefully. Humble yourself and resign to not knowing anything. Give up your false teachings.

God's Truth

Jesus tells us all to obey and was not being ironic.

There are many calling themselves "Christian" who think that Jesus says for everyone to repent, but that he really knows that no one can repent unless he makes them do it in some supernatural way.

That teaching is nowhere in the scriptures.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Jesus tells us all to obey and was not being ironic.

There are many calling themselves "Christian" who think that Jesus says for everyone to repent, but that he really knows that no one can repent unless he makes them do it in some supernatural way.

That teaching is nowhere in the scriptures.
Obey?

Obey what? His teachings?

The ironic thing is we rarely take him seriously. We don't stress his ethical teachings or his Kingdom of God parables. We are violent and judgmental. We worship mammon instead of the Father. We put down and marginalize the poor and the immigrant and the stranger. We participate daily in the ungodly operations of an empire that far surpasses the Roman Empire in Jesus's day. We have become the very powers and principalities that Paul and his fledgling communities were in conflict with.

We seem to think it is much more important to regard Jesus AS "born of a virgin," "Messiah," "Savior of the World," etc.

Is being a Christian all about being made to give our approval and assent to these dogmatic theological statements of ancient times?

Does repeating them and telling them to others do any good at all?

If so, I do not see it.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Greetings Meshak,
I agree obedience is certainly critical to each believer, Disciple. Obediance fosters greater intimacy. So does praise to God.

You are praising God whey you obey Him. Obedience to God is the most important thing for His people.

it is that simple, friend.

lifeisgood

Jesus does not tell everyone to do that.

Do you really think that Jesus wants everyone in the world to sell all they have?

However, YOU vociferously say that YOU OBEY EVERY word that Jesus spoke.

So, now YOU need to repent of saying that you OBEY EVERY word that Jesus spoke.

EVERY is EVERY, not just certain.
YOU say EVERY word that Jesus spoke YOU OBEY, which you just said YOU DON'T, which makes you what?

God's Truth

YOU say EVERY word that Jesus spoke YOU OBEY, which you just said YOU DON'T, which makes you what?

Jesus does not tell us to sell everything. Jesus said that when he was on the earth to those who would join his traveling ministry.

lifeisgood

Jesus does not tell us to sell everything. Jesus said that when he was on the earth to those who would join his traveling ministry.

musterion

How do you determine what He said only to those who were with Him, and what He said that applies to/must be obeyed by you?

glorydaz

It makes her a hypocrite....an actor....a pretender. :chew: