Obedience. Is obedience to God a result of salvation and not a cause of it?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
That's right! And they are ensured future salvation while they are enemies and unbelievers!
When they were enemies and unbelievers they were reconciled to God and thereby ensured future salvation though they have now been saved in the present upon being reconciled.

beloved57

When they were enemies and unbelievers they were reconciled to God and thereby ensured future salvation though they have now been saved in the present upon being reconciled.
That's right, so then you should understand that Christ did not die for all men without exception, which is limited atonement.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
That's right, so then you should understand that Christ did not die for all men without exception, which is limited atonement.
It is not true that some people Christ did not die for. It is true that not everyone will be saved.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It is true since those Christ died for are reconciled to God and ensured future salvation.
You are talking about atonement maybe? Because some people have been reconciled and some have not. Not everyone knows that Christ died for them. When they do they either may and can be saved or they are now saved.

beloved57

You are talking about atonement maybe? Because some people have been reconciled and some have not. Not everyone knows that Christ died for them. When they do they either may and can be saved or they are now saved.
False statements. Those Christ died for are reconciled to God while they are enemies and unbelievers , and they are ensured of future salvation Rom 5:10!

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
False statements. Those Christ died for are reconciled to God while they are enemies and unbelievers , and they are ensured of future salvation Rom 5:10!
Unbelievers can be reconciled to God. Ultimately this is something God does. When they are reconciled they are saved and they can then or thereby have assurance of salvation.

oatmeal

There are things we can do to be made right with God. At least, on our part. It is God who makes us right with Him in terms of our standing with and before Him. We can apologize and make things right, whether by guilt or whatnot. Then we need to obey God. To repent and believe the gospel involves that our sin debt was paid for when Christ died for us.

Yes.

Spiritually we have have been made the righteousness of God in him. II Corinthians 5:21, I Corinthians 1:30 ...

But are we living our lives accordingly?

That is how we make our lives pleasing to the Father, by living righteously in the body and soul categories, even though we are already righteous from a spiritual/legal standpoint.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes.

Spiritually we have have been made the righteousness of God in him. II Corinthians 5:21, I Corinthians 1:30 ...

But are we living our lives accordingly?

That is how we make our lives pleasing to the Father, by living righteously in the body and soul categories, even though we are already righteous from a spiritual/legal standpoint.
Are you talking about living the life a believer should live after becoming a believer?

A person should seek the scriptures to find out if they are saved, or ask someone to help them do so.

HisServant

God's commands, the Law, or the Holy Spirit.

How are you obedient to God and Jesus?

Irrelevant question, since God said he would write his laws on the hearts and minds of his children through the Holy Spirit.

The question is whether or not you are listening to the Holy Spirit.

I've been to so many different churches in many denominations... and most do not care about the guidance of the Holy Spirit all they care about is whether or not you obey their interpretation of things.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Irrelevant question, since God said he would write his laws on the hearts and minds of his children through the Holy Spirit.

The question is whether or not you are listening to the Holy Spirit.
That is a great question also. My question of you had to do with your questions of who or what you are to obey.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I've been to so many different churches in many denominations... and most do not care about the guidance of the Holy Spirit all they care about is whether or not you obey their interpretation of things.
Fair enough. But if you do not obey God and Jesus you are not listening to the Holy Spirit.

HisServant

That is a great question also. My question of you had to do with your questions of who or what you are to obey.

My opinion is that people who seek to obey are not Christians.... we obey because it is the new person that God has... obedience is effortless.

Yet, pastors and other preachers feed off of making you feel guilty because they make you feel that you are not measuring up to the standards that they say God wants you to abide by.... they are deceivers.. and probably do not know it.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
My opinion is that people who seek to obey are not Christians.... we obey because it is the new person that God has... obedience is effortless.

Yet, pastors and other preachers feed off of making you feel guilty because they make you feel that you are not measuring up to the standards that they say God wants you to abide by.... they are deceivers.. and probably do not know it.
Okay. But if you do not obey God you are not saved. You are not saved by your obedience. But since those who are saved obey, if you do not obey you can know you are not or likely are not saved.

Does this have to do with who or what to obey?

John 14:21 NASB - 21 "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."

Acts 5:32 NASB - 32 "And we are witnesses of these things; and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey Him."

Romans 8:9 NASB - 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.

Romans 13:1 NASB - 1 Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.

Hebrews 13:17 NASB - 17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.

1 Peter 1:2 NASB - 2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

1 Peter 1:22 NASB - 22 Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart,