NFL 2017

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You know it's bad when Tony Romo is giving good advice.

Romo was right, it that situation, Big Ben should have done a fade route, and nothing else. Either you make the TD, or you kick the field goal to tie the game. Throwing the ball in the middle was the stupidest thing Big Ben could have done.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
He caught the ball...made a football move....the ball crossed the plain...TD.

James caught the ball, maintained possession after he hit the ground, turned his body up field at which point the catch is complete, and reached the ball across the plane at which point the play is over.

Diving for the end zone after making a catch, is not the same as diving to make a catch.

Last edited:

drbrumley

I have no dog in this fight, but after looking at it, if I am a ref, that's a TD. BUT!!!!

it was the correct call of an awful rule

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In the words of Chuck Noll, to be a winner you must play better than the refs ref.

Leaving Gronk with single, undersized man coverage on the 2 point conversion was poor coaching by the Steelers.

If the Pat's don't make that 2-point conversion, the Steelers kick a game winning field goal instead of all the drama after Ju Ju Smith's reception.

The loss really hurt, but on a positive note, the Steelers switched to man coverage, and rushed four on Brady. This was a significant improvement from the previous meetings.

Now, if the Steelers can figure out how to cover Gronk man-to-man (which is hard to do when all your defensive backs are 5'-8"), the Steelers may have a chance if they face the Pat's in the playoffs.

Anything can happen. If the Steelers win their next two games, and the Pat's lose a game, the Steelers get the #1 seed.

So, today's loss hurt, but it's not like losing a playoff game. The season isn't over. The postseason lies ahead.

Just hope Antonio Brown makes it back for the playoffs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sounds about right...say, (New England) 27 - 24.
Final score? 27-24 :D

And the TD that wasn't, wasn't, by the rules. Don't get too upset about it. The Steelers pulled a miracle out of their hats to get in the position to begin with...a decent week. I'm 10 - 5 going into tomorrow. I missed Den/Ind, SD/KC as the Chiefs did better and the Chargers worse than imagined, I didn't see the Titans losing to SF (a team beginning to show signs), I was too optimistic with New Orleans and got blind sided by the size of the Jags win over Houston. Killed the Pats game and called the home folding of the Seahawks. Took the marginal upset of GB (which was a daft point spread anyway)

So if TB keeps it closer than 6.5 tomorrow I'm back to 11...if not, a decent week anyway.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
In the words of Chuck Noll, to be a winner you must play better than the refs ref.
Or just understand the rules. Ask the qb of the Raiders about that one.

Leaving Gronk with single, undersized man coverage on the 2 point conversion was poor coaching by the Steelers.
Maybe someone blew an assignment?

The loss really hurt, but on a positive note, the Steelers switched to man coverage, and rushed four on Brady. This was a significant improvement from the previous meetings.
They know they were playing them close and could have won. Not winning the way they failed could be good for them come playoff time.

Now, if the Steelers can figure out how to cover Gronk man-to-man (which is hard to do when all your defensive backs are 5'-8"), the Steelers may have a chance if they face the Pat's in the playoffs.
They can't cover him consistently unless they soften against the run. They have to get creative with blitzes when it's third and big or an obvious go-to.

Anything can happen. If the Steelers win their next two games, and the Pat's lose a game, the Steelers get the #1 seed.
I'd have felt better about that possibility if the Pats played Buffalo in Buffalo and the Jets on the road instead of vice versa, but after the way the Jets played yesterday...who knows? It's possible. And you've got the Texans and Browns, which should be Ws.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Meanwhile, if nothing changes, the most likely outcomes for the playoffs...

The most likely SB is NE vs...Rams or NO, with the barest edge to LA. Either way it's a pick'em game with resonance. Either the Rams get to do to Brady what he did to them toward the beginning of his run or Brady considers retirement having come full circle with them.

NE is the more likely SB winner at this point, but some minor performance corrections between now and the playoffs could completely change these scenarios. Baltimore getting in over a faltering Buffalo, by way of example. Or a hot handed Detroit sneaking into an up for grabs NFC, depending on how you see the Saints and Rams.

Only an error free Steeler performance and a hiccup by NE, or a KC streak at their best could upset the AFC applecart for the Pats. The NFC is a lot less settled. Philly has shown they can battle even without the difference maker, but are they ready for the Saints if they need to slug it out on the scoreboard? And can anyone handle the Rams at present? Can the Steelers overcome themselves? Will a dark horse pull an Eli?

The last couple of weeks have rarely been this important.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sounds about right...say, 27 - 24.

Final score 27-24

I don't know how you do it TH.

Anyways,

Brady, Brees, Flacco, and Roethlisberger all have rings, not to mention Russell Wilson. Usually the experience helps in the playoffs.

However, I'm going to go out on a limb, and predict some new blood in this years Super Bowl.

Jacksonville vs. LA Rams

P.S. if Dallas somehow gets in, I don't think anyone in the NFC can stop them now that Wentz is out, and Zeke is back. That "gift" from Oakland last night, just might have put them in the playoffs.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I don't know how Pittsburgh lost that game. On a good note, it sounds like Brown will be back for the tournament.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't know how Pittsburgh lost that game. On a good note, it sounds like Brown will be back for the tournament.

Well, if the Steelers can get a first round bye, then their first playoff game would be in 4 weeks. AB's injury, according to the experts, takes 2-4 weeks to recover.

IOW, the Steelers really need to win both of their two remaining games to have at least the #2 seed, or hope Jacksonville loses a game.

That first round bye, and home divisional game is such an advantage in the postseason.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Well, if the Steelers can get a first round bye, then their first playoff game would be in 4 weeks. AB's injury, according to the experts, takes 2-4 weeks to recover.

IOW, the Steelers really need to win both of their two remaining games to have at least the #2 seed, or hope Jacksonville loses a game.
'Shouldn't be a problem, given their opposition. :)
That first round bye, and home divisional game is such an advantage in the postseason.
Yup.

Jerry Shugart

P.S. if Dallas somehow gets in, I don't think anyone in the NFC can stop them now that Wentz is out, and Zeke is back. That "gift" from Oakland last night, just might have put them in the playoffs.

You got it right that the Boys will be a dangerous team if they make the play-offs but the chance of them making the play-offs even if they win their final two games is not very good. I still think that the Steelers will win it all this year, much to my dismay!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You got it right that the Boys will be a dangerous team if they make the play-offs but the chance of them making the play-offs even if they win their final two games is not very good.

This weeks Seattle vs. Dallas is basically a playoff game for both teams. The loser is done for the season.

I still think that the Steelers will win it all this year, much to my dismay!

I just don't see them doing it with the defense they have.

Even with Joe Haden coming back, the defense is just not good.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You got it right that the Boys will be a dangerous team if they make the play-offs but the chance of them making the play-offs even if they win their final two games is not very good. I still think that the Steelers will win it all this year, much to my dismay!
Dallas has had to learn how to play without Elliot, and I think they'll be even better once he's back. Hopefully he's been intensely training himself during his suspension.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I just don't see them doing it with the defense they have.

Even with Joe Haden coming back, the defense is just not good.
They played NE well enough to hope for a win over them in the tournament, even in Foxboro. They just have to work on high pressure situations more, so they don't pull what they did this last game. That was dreadful that they didn't at least tie that game and force overtime, and it was because of a qb/coaching fail. That can be fixed.