Muslim here. Ask me a question..

fzappa13

I generally overtly scrutinize anything coming from Texas (not really, trying to say it may not be the best information, I don't believe Texas gives a leg up, but it does remind me of couple of great jokes).

Ahem :Clete:

Reactions: Lon

Apple7

Are you saying that E.W. Lane is a professor, religious scholar, theologian, or modern expert in Arabic languages?
:chuckle:
Sure.....

I guess you're just going to keep dodging the question, "Why do no living professors, theologians, religious scholars, or language experts agree with your translation?"
:rotfl:
I can't imagine why :think:

What's the matter...can't you google any dirt on Lane?

:cigar:

Apple7

Hmm....maybe you didn't get my point. It was that the idea that Allah and/or God are actually references to El the Canaanite deity (your moon god) is not accurate. It is not accurate for God, or for Allah. That might be because God and Allah are the same thing.
You obviously should know this, but perhaps you don't: "Allah" is simply "God" translated into Arabic. More accurately, "God" is the translated version of "Allah," as Arabic is far far older than English.

Again...show us a verifiable googled reference.

How hard can this be...?

No one wants' to keep hearing your ignorant assertions, over, and over, and over...

Apple7

More ignorance...

More ignorance...

My assertion that God and Allah are the same stems mostly from the Quran itself.

You know as much about the Koran as a preschooler knows about driving an eighteen wheeler.

The 'allah' of the Koran is NOT Yahweh.

It claims that Allah is the God of Abraham, and they revere Jesus greatly.

Where?

In fact, he us second only to Mohammed in their eyes.

According to the authors of the Koran, 'Muhammad' is an epithet describing the Biblical Jesus Christ to begin with.

Again...complete and utter ignorance on your part.

The difference between Islam and Christianity when it comes to Jesus is that Muslims believe he never died and was never divine, but was instead a great prophet and had his soul sucked up to Paradise while on the cross (averting much suffering and death) while his body remained behind in a sort of vegetative state. They believe that worshipping Jesus is idolatry, and claim that he never wanted this.

The Arabic of the Koran informs the reader the very same as that of the Holy Bible, from which it copied itself from....that Jesus was crucified until death upon The Cross.

You need to stop believing in everything that you google from the web.....it makes you look ignorant...

Apple7

When Arab Christians speak of God, in Arabic, it is "Allah." As I read, there seems to be controversy specifically because Arabs still speak Arabic. It may not seem a big deal, but for instance, taking Sherman's post that it refers to the moon god, and perhaps even Apples referring to Lord of the Jinn, it could be that the name had at one time applied to them (This is by no means my area of expertise, just from my readings).

Lon,

The very first clue that the Koranic 'allah' is not Yahweh comes from the lexical definitions of each term.

'Allah' is derived from the same root word as other pagan Arab idols.

Yahweh, on the other hand, does not share any root word.

Reactions: Lon

Greg Jennings

Lon,

The very first clue that the Koranic 'allah' is not Yahweh comes from the lexical definitions of each term.

'Allah' is derived from the same root word as other pagan Arab idols.

Yahweh, on the other hand, does not share any root word.

Yahweh isn't a real word! We only know of the consonants YHWH and have no real clue what letters were between them, and thus have no clue what the pronunciation of the word was! It was a word that was forbidden to be spoken for 2000 years, and lost its known pronunciation due to that.

Shouldn't such a great expert in languages like yourself know such a thing?

Last edited:

Greg Jennings

You know as much about the Koran as a preschooler knows about driving an eighteen wheeler.
I think I get it now. I can name call, but only if I attack your knowledge and not your character. In that case, your intelligence is sorely lacking.

The 'allah' of the Koran is NOT Yahweh.
"Allah" is Elohim, who I think we both agree is YHWH.

Jesus is al-Masih in the Quran, though there are other titles given to him as well.

According to the authors of the Koran, 'Muhammad' is an epithet describing the Biblical Jesus Christ to begin with.
Got any evidence of that? Seeing as he's individual from Mohammed in the Quran itself, and that Muslims (which you obviously have never met a one of) greatly revere both Mohammed and Jesus, I think you're very incorrect here

Again...complete and utter ignorance on your part.
Still projecting....and adjective-ly name-calling. Maybe I'll go to whine to Sherman about it and get you banned

The Arabic of the Koran informs the reader the very same as that of the Holy Bible, from which it copied itself from....that Jesus was crucified until death upon The Cross.
You can't be serious....

You need to stop believing in everything that you google from the web.....it makes you look ignorant...
Actually, most of my commentary comes from my Muslim friends, who are (in case you couldn't figure it out) Muslim. Some also comes from the Quran, and some comes from credible online sources. Not your answeringislam garbage

I wish you luck in the New Year trying to convince people of things that are not true

Greg Jennings

Again...show us a verifiable googled reference.

How hard can this be...?

No one wants' to keep hearing your ignorant assertions, over, and over, and over...
From a biased Christian site:
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/allah.html

From a credible source (yes, wiki has a 97.5% accuracy rate. Plus sources are provided at the bottom of every article with footnotes telling you exactly what information came from where):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

And just one more Christian source confirming it:
http://www.equip.org/article/allah-does-not-belong-to-islam/
"In fact, Arab Christians existed before Islam appeared on the scene. Christians who worship Allah number in the millions, and their biblical version of Allah differs from the Qur’anic version. To demean or demonize the word for God in another language does a great disservice to believers who speak that language. Opportunities to win a hearing or dialogue between Christians and Arabic-speaking Muslims vis-à-vis Jesus Christ are also minimized."

Now what will you do? Will you finally answer the question I've asked and you've dodged nearly 20 times?

Greg Jennings

What's the matter...can't you google any dirt on Lane?

:cigar:

I have told you two times now that Lane uses "lord of the jinn" but in a context that you ignore. Freelight's excellent post has been used by himself and I to refute you four times. I'll be happy to re-post it once more if you like.

For what must be nearly the 20th time now: Why do no living professors, theologians, religious scholars, or experts agree with your translations?

Dodge away :chuckle:

Apple7

Yahweh isn't a real word! We only know of the consonants YHWH and have no real clue what letters were between them, and thus have no clue what the pronunciation of the word was! It was a word that was forbidden to be spoken for 2000 years, and lost its known pronunciation due to that.

Shouldn't such a great expert in languages like yourself know such a thing?

Once again, you are googling the wrong websites.

Yahweh is used by many Hebrew scholars.

Greg Jennings

For someone who has yet to ever post a link, you sure criticize others' info a lot. And make wrong assumptions about where much of it comes from. But I digress....

It's used today. We don't know what the pronunciation actually was originally because, as I said, it wasn't permitted to be uttered for 2000 years.

If I'm wrong, find one site that says we definitively know what the vowels between Y-H-W-H were and post it here.

The favored spelling option by scholars I believe is "Yahwah"

Apple7

Allah" is Elohim, who I think we both agree is YHWH.

Nope.

Jesus is al-Masih in the Quran, though there are other titles given to him as well.

Jesus is God in the Koran.

Got any evidence of that? Seeing as he's individual from Mohammed in the Quran itself, and that Muslims (which you obviously have never met a one of) greatly revere both Mohammed and Jesus, I think you're very incorrect here

The premise starts with defining the term, itself.

You were shown this with رب العلمين

Now, its a simple matter of first defining محمد

Apple7

Actually, most of my commentary comes from my Muslim friends, who are (in case you couldn't figure it out) Muslim.

80% of Muslims don't know a lick of Arabic.

Further, most have never even read their Koran.

So, you have some great resources at your fingertips. Not!

Some also comes from the Quran, and some comes from credible online sources. Not your answeringislam garbage

I have no need to use 'answeringislam'.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Perhaps instead of insulting his intelligence and calling him names, you could actually prove your point by taking the time to post links to what you imply are the correct websites.

Apple7

From a biased Christian site:
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/allah.html

From a credible source (yes, wiki has a 97.5% accuracy rate. Plus sources are provided at the bottom of every article with footnotes telling you exactly what information came from where):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

And just one more Christian source confirming it:
http://www.equip.org/article/allah-does-not-belong-to-islam/
"In fact, Arab Christians existed before Islam appeared on the scene. Christians who worship Allah number in the millions, and their biblical version of Allah differs from the Qur’anic version. To demean or demonize the word for God in another language does a great disservice to believers who speak that language. Opportunities to win a hearing or dialogue between Christians and Arabic-speaking Muslims vis-à-vis Jesus Christ are also minimized."

Now what will you do? Will you finally answer the question I've asked and you've dodged nearly 20 times?

Did you even bother to google past the first page of hits?

Not a single solitary one of your googled links shows anything other than unscholarly opinion.

If you feel otherwise, then pick their very best argument and defend it, yourself....that way we at least know that you actually read what you googled.

Apple7

I have told you two times now that Lane uses "lord of the jinn" but in a context that you ignore.

You don't even know the terms under discussion.

Freelight's excellent post has been used by himself and I to refute you four times. I'll be happy to re-post it once more if you like.

Rather than hiding behind another person, it would be great for you to address it directly, yourself.

Lon

I think you meant to say 'interesting' or 'disappointing'.

I love it when people misuse the word 'ironic' in their criticisms of someone else's language use!

Look it up, Lon. It doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/21/ironic-correct-meaning_n_4824144.html
Done. I'm not sure you know what irony is and such can lead to ironic assessment concerning your own wordsmith prowess.. Spend a little more time with your dictionary and a little less time worrying about what the Huffington Post thinks (although they do correctly identify meaning, you don't/didn't). Irony, is indeed "a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character." (apologies you were not a member of the more astute audience when I employed it, correctly). There is no "must use the first two definitions and not the third" rule (in fact Huntington gives 6). Context would rule which was employed. There was indeed irony on a couple of levels and you missed them. Then wrongly attempted to corrected me. That's....ironic.

Apple7

For someone who has yet to ever post a link, you sure criticize others' info a lot. And make wrong assumptions about where much of it comes from. But I digress....

The last link I posted directly to you, resulting in you running away for six weeks...

It's used today. We don't know what the pronunciation actually was originally because, as I said, it wasn't permitted to be uttered for 2000 years.

If I'm wrong, find one site that says we definitively know what the vowels between Y-H-W-H were and post it here.

The favored spelling option by scholars I believe is "Yahwah"

The onus is on you, as you are the only one to have issue with it in the first place...