Marijuana legalization: LESS government?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pitfalls Abound as Legal Pot Sales Begin

Colorado and Washington state are launching the world's first legal recreational marijuana markets in 2014. Though pot has been sold for three decades at coffee shops in the Netherlands, the two states are the first to regulate and allow a full industry.

Being first to allow growing it, processing it and selling it doesn't come without risks. The states face plenty, from a potential crackdown over a drug that's still illegal under federal law to threats to public health.

A look at some of the pitfalls the two states will want to avoid as Big Weed tries to go mainstream:

YOUTH USE: The U.S. Department of Justice has told the states it won't interfere with state marijuana laws as long as they keep the drug away from those without permission to use it. Top of that list: children. Neither state will allow people under 21 to buy pot.

HEALTH: Some doctors warn that increased marijuana use will result in more emergency-room visits. There's not enough data to show if that is happening, though some hospitals have reported spikes in child admissions for pot overdoses. With no Food and Drug Administration oversight, the two states are producing their own product-safety standards to make sure pot is as potent as labeled and doesn't contain harmful molds or other contaminants.

SMUGGLING: The states have also been told they must keep legal pot out of other states and off federal property. That's no small task in Western states with huge swaths of federal property, such as parks and ski areas. The states will allow visitors to buy pot, but also warn them about where they can and can't take it.

CRIME: Legalization opponents say residency requirements won't prevent criminal cartels from setting up straw-man growing operations. The states also have tracking systems to make sure what is grown ends up sold legally. Colorado, however, also allows people to grow pot at home, making it impossible to keep track of where it is coming from and where it's going.

DRIVING: The states set up marijuana analogies to drunk-driving laws, setting driver blood limits for pot's psychoactive chemical, THC. The laws are new, and it's too soon to say whether legal pot has made highways more dangerous in Colorado and Washington. Both states report seeing more positive driving-high tests, but it's not clear whether that's because of increased driver use or increased testing.

TAXES: Nobody knows how and at what level to tax pot. Too low, and the states won't be able to afford intense regulatory supervision of the industry. Too high, and pot users may stay in the black market.

DEMAND: Guessing marijuana demand is a tricky proposition. Colorado growers warn that early demand could lead to sky-high prices and shortages, with state production caps still uncertain. In Washington, regulators are taking a new look at supply needs after a recently released study produced a demand estimate that far outstripped earlier guesses.

BANKING: Marijuana legalization hasn't taken away one black-market aspect for the drug in Colorado and Washington: Cash runs the business. Financial services as simple as checking accounts and credit cards are off-limits because of federal guidance to financial institutions. Colorado officials say they're optimistic the U.S. Treasury Department will loosen those rules next year, but it's unclear what that would look like.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/pitfalls-abound-legal-pot-sales-begin-21361387

And here I thought that you Libertarians were for LESS government.

MjAxMy1kYjExNzc1YTM3Y2YyY2Zi.png

JosephR

Well ok if you want a serious response. The criminalization of weed was wrong because of the marijuana tax stamp..lots of history to the story actually. It goes back to hemp and how it was affecting rich foresters because hemp is a superior product in all cases and can be grown easier and cheaper.Lobbied into law by a man who stood to loose alot of money.

It means less government when something is not illegal... cmon you know this.
The money spent on housing people in the penal system for low level marijuana offenders could feed the hungry.No more court hours and police arrest for small amounts. I mean cmon all this is common knowledge.

California had made alot of money of the taxation of medical marijuana.
Then there is this study by 300 economist.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/17/economists-marijuana-legalization_n_1431840.html

Billions..

There is the fact that it would not be the gateway drug anyore because you wont have to deal with a criminal drug dealer to buy the plant.

Im no spokesman for NORML but the facts and evidence seems over whelming to meet your OP.

Jabin

Colorado will be growing at least ten times what Colorado resident smoke.

Like with gambling, which went from taboo to national very quickly, so will pot (and homo "marriage"). The states without legal pot will want to cash in on the pot revenues that Colorado will be enjoying (but, homo "marriage" is going national by decree of mostly Jewish judges).

At least there won't any homo nazis forcing everyone to support pot smoking nor teaching your children in school to give it a try.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
It means less government when something is not illegal... cmon you know this.

The OP article didn't show me where legalizing marijuana would lessen the amount of government, in fact it increases it substantially.

This will be an extremely short thread, as no one will be able to refute the OP.

On that note:

When I heard that a dope smoker from Madison Wisconsin died from lung cancer, I broke into a cold sweat for fear that it was my 2nd bestest friend in the whoooole wide world that had perished from his beloved weed.

Fortunately my good friend is still blogging on TOL and should be here shortly to attempt to refute the OP.

Prominent marijuana activist Ben Masel, 56, dies of cancer

April 30, 2011

Ben Masel, prominent marijuana activist and professional rabble rouser, died Saturday from complications due to lung cancer. He was 56.

Diagnosed in January, Masel had recently made it through 25 radiation treatments for the disease, but was too weak to face chemotherapy. He died just before 9 a.m., surrounded by family at a nearby hospice center.

He made a point of living at the front lines and fighting for his rights," said Semilla Anderson, Masel's daughter. "He will be remembered for that."

Masel was born in the Bronx and grew up in New Jersey. He moved to Madison in 1971 and quickly became a fixture of the counter-culture, known specifically for acts of civil disobedience in the cause of legalizing pot...
http://host.madison.com/news/local/...cle_68fbe4a4-7385-11e0-b755-001cc4c002e0.html

4d82743ab1aa9.preview-300.jpg

Granted, Ben was a cigarette smoker as well. So instead of blaming his cancer on the smoke filled THC that he held in his lungs for hours on end throughout his life, let's blame it solely on the tar and nicotine from cigarettes.

On a bright note: Where Ben is residing for eternity, he'll never need to look around for an open flame to light up a joint.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Colorado will be growing at least ten times what Colorado resident smoke.

Source? And don't forget all of those pot heads coming in from out of state to get hiiiiigh.

Like with gambling, which went from taboo to national very quickly, so will pot (and homo "marriage"). The states without legal pot will want to cash in on the pot revenues that Colorado will be enjoying (but, homo "marriage" is going national by decree of mostly Jewish judges).

So states will be pushing drugs in order to make a profit. Should we get politicians a wardrobe to meet their new role in government?

hat_seller_tale_03.jpg

At least there won't any homo nazis forcing everyone to support pot smoking nor teaching your children in school to give it a try.

Obviously you didn't read the OP. How is legalizing marijuana creating LESS government?

JosephR

aCW, I have thought about what you said. It does increase gov of the regulation but gov control within the legal system far outweighs it.. But on this subject and many others your mind is made up and you will not even try to see any other side or different perspective,, btw a decent study shows all the cancer fighting properties of cancer, I am sure your friend was a tragic loose and you are emotionaly involved in your ideals but facts and science are not concerned with feelings....

Sorry for your loose of a friend, sincerely
Joe

Last edited:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
aCW, I have thought about what you said. It does increase gov of the regulation but gov control within the legal system fr outweighs it..

So you agree that the size of government will grow (substantially) due to your love of dope and it's legalization?

So tell me how making marijuana legal is going to benefit all of those children that are using it?

Marijuana Use Spikes Among U.S. Teens

Dec. 14, 2010 -- Federal health officials say they’re alarmed by a sharp rise in marijuana use among American teens, blaming the increase on medical marijuana campaigns.

The increase is particularly stark among eighth graders, suggesting that attitudes about the risks of marijuana may be becoming more relaxed in adolescents thinking about using drugs for the first time.

The national survey shows that marijuana use in eighth, 10th, and 12th graders is up across the country. By some measures the increase over last year is 10% or more, says Nora Volkow, MD, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Marijuana use among teens has been on the way up over the last three years. But new data, taken from the 46,000-student “Monitoring the Future” survey, shows the increase is accelerating, particularly in younger students...
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/20101214/marijuana-use-spikes-among-us-teens

But on this subject and many others your mind is made up and you will not even try to see any other side or different perspective,,

I've seen the "other side" for decades now. Attempted persuasion by evil doers didn't work on me back then, it won't work on me now.

btw a decent study shows all the cancer fighting properties of cancer,

So cannabis is an antioxidant now? Heck, sprinkle a little bit in your corn flakes in the morning instead of blueberries and you're cancer free!

I am sure your friend was a tragic loose and you are emotionaly involved in your ideals but facts and science are not concerned with feelings....

Sorry for your loose of a friend, sincerely
Joe

My 2nd bestest friend in the whoooole wide world is still around, pushing dope like never before.

That being said: The loss of my beloved nation to immoral behavior has been tragic Joe.

JosephR

So you agree that the size of government will grow (substantially) due to your love of dope and it's legalization?

So tell me how making marijuana legal is going to benefit all of those children that are using it?

Marijuana Use Spikes Among U.S. Teens

Dec. 14, 2010 -- Federal health officials say they’re alarmed by a sharp rise in marijuana use among American teens, blaming the increase on medical marijuana campaigns.

The increase is particularly stark among eighth graders, suggesting that attitudes about the risks of marijuana may be becoming more relaxed in adolescents thinking about using drugs for the first time.

The national survey shows that marijuana use in eighth, 10th, and 12th graders is up across the country. By some measures the increase over last year is 10% or more, says Nora Volkow, MD, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

Marijuana use among teens has been on the way up over the last three years. But new data, taken from the 46,000-student “Monitoring the Future” survey, shows the increase is accelerating, particularly in younger students...
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/20101214/marijuana-use-spikes-among-us-teens

I've seen the "other side" for decades now. Attempted persuasion by evil doers didn't work on me back then, it won't work on me now.

So cannabis is an antioxidant now? Heck, sprinkle a little bit in your corn flakes in the morning instead of blueberries and you're cancer free!

My 2nd bestest friend in the whoooole wide world is still around, pushing dope like never before.

That being said: The loss of my beloved nation to immoral behavior has been tragic Joe.

See I knew you would go there and label me like this, I am not surprised,and you took what I said and twisted it to mean the opposite..

ah well thats shame on me twice...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
See I knew you would go there and label me like this, I am not surprised,and you took what I said and twisted it to mean the opposite..

ah well thats shame on me twice...

Yeah, I must have misread your words like I did in the homosexual thread.

Yep, it must be because I fell off the turnip truck yesterday.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I'm just thinking, if marijuana was legal across the country, there would be a need for people to grow, process, and distribute it. That might create some jobs.

JosephR

I wish you would educate yourself and not include the seed bearing plant marijuana that God provided for medicine in the book of Gen.. with dope..and drugs..

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I wish you would educate yourself and not include the seed bearing plant marijuana that God provided for medicine in the book of Gen.. with dope..and drugs..

I see that Joe has been visiting websites that use the Bible to push harmful drugs on people.

In the Holy Bible
Book of Genesis:

1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food.

1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and behold, it was very good…

So, if the “Creator” tells us that He has given us “herb bearing seeds” then no man should have the right to prohibit any of them from us. God permits us to consume all plants with seeds.
http://www.godgaveuscannabis.com/

How about the poppy seed Joe? While man has to make the needle and syringe to shoot heroin into his veins, Genesis obviously is promoting heroin use isn't it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium

Besides, this thread is about recreational drug use, and if you don't know what Scripture says about intoxicants, then here it is:

http://www.bibletruths.net/Sermons/BTSO072.htm
http://www.gotquestions.org/sin-drugs.html