Liberal White Women Learn How Racist They Are

PyramidHead

Frederick D. Patterson and Mary McLeod Bethune felt differently in 1944. Their legacy lives today.

My wife felt differently when she was one of a few black students in a Mississippi high school and people called her negro because they would get in trouble using the other word. Many young black people hate the color of their skin growing up, and loaded language in regards to race has its roll to play in that. 1944 was a while ago, my friend. That word still carries a great terrible weight for people of color in this country.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
My wife felt differently when she was one of a few black students in a Mississippi high school and people called her negro because they would get in trouble using the other word. Many young black people hate the color of their skin growing up, and loaded language in regards to race has its roll to play in that. 1944 was a while ago, my friend. That word still carries a great terrible weight for people of color in this country.

Long past time to get over it and move forward, leave the baggage behind.

PyramidHead

Long past time to get over it and move forward, leave the baggage behind.

I hope by that you don’t mean black people should just accept being called words that they justifiably find hateful and offensive. Because I agree, on a way, that it’s time to leave the baggage behind. That word belongs in that baggage.

ok doser

I hope by that you don’t mean black people should just accept being called words that they justifiably find hateful and offensive. Because I agree, on a way, that it’s time to leave the baggage behind. That word belongs in that baggage.

ok doser

Time to move past being offended by words. Time to grow up, put on your big boy pants and join adult society.

PyramidHead

Time to move past being offended by words. Time to grow up, put on your big boy pants and join adult society.

Or you could quit using offensive words. It does not take much effort to not refer to people with racial slurs, man. You cannot defend calling people things they find offensive, based on their race, and also agree with that video of Morgan Freeman wishing we could see past race. They are mutually exclusive values.

The Berean

Umm...when did the word "negro" became a bad word? :idunno: Granted, it's an old word that isn't used very much today. But it is used. It can be an offensive or neutral word depending on context like:

The United Negro College Fund

The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum

As for the use in this thread doser and I use it as an in-joke between the two of us that goes back probably at least 10 years. It is said in jest and not in an offensive way. I certainly do not use the word in a racist way. I grew up in a Spanish speaking home and I had aunties who called me "mi negrito!" which kind of translates as my dark nephew. I wasn't offended by it.