Judge Roy Moore Allegations

Arthur Brain

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/12/28/roy-moore-spokeswoman-polygraph-test.cnn

So, even Janet Porter agrees that Moore should have taken such a polygraph test waaay before he did if these allegations were all just made up, so why didn't he? What kind of campaign team did this guy have? One who was slack jawed when he was made aware that people don't have to swear on the bible in order to hold public office. Another who ill advisedly told him to 'ride' a horse on election day and now this debacle without any clear statements on just who performed this polygraph, the surroundings, qualified personnel and questions etc. About all she's clear on is that she wasn't there among proceedings but she's sure he's innocent blah blah blah...

So, why did Moore not concede to such a thing at least a coupla weeks before election day? Heck, he pretends as though he can ride a horse in public after all...

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/12/28/roy-moore-spokeswoman-polygraph-test.cnn

So, even Janet Porter agrees that Moore should have taken such a polygraph test waaay before he did if these allegations were all just made up, so why didn't he? What kind of campaign team did this guy have? One who was slack jawed when he was made aware that people don't have to swear on the bible in order to hold public office. Another who ill advisedly told him to 'ride' a horse on election day and now this debacle without any clear statements on just who performed this polygraph, the surroundings, qualified personnel and questions etc. About all she's clear on is that she wasn't there among proceedings but she's sure he's innocent blah blah blah...

So, why did Moore not concede to such a thing at least a coupla weeks before election day? Heck, he pretends as though he can ride a horse in public after all...
It's time to move on Art, politics is dead. :chuckle:

gcthomas

Because his core demographic, the white evangelicals, didn't care about the accusations — he is a bible thumping egotist and they love him and agree with him.

Arthur Brain

Because his core demographic, the white evangelicals, didn't care about the accusations — he is a bible thumping egotist and they love him and agree with him.

I think part of Moore's problem was having such an inept 'support team' and an unbridled arrogance that with Alabama being such a conservative stronghold a Republican would win no matter what.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think part of Moore's problem was having such an inept 'support team' and an unbridled arrogance that with Alabama being such a conservative stronghold a Republican would win no matter what.
It was nearly true. When you think of having that awful a candidate do that well...But Jones is left in a poor position. If he works too closely with Republicans those who supported him might not turn out next time. If he doesn't those Republicans who sat on their hands might turn out to support any conservative candidate who doesn't qualify for a perp walk.

Arthur Brain

It was nearly true. When you think of having that awful a candidate do that well...But Jones is left in a poor position. If he works too closely with Republicans those who supported him might not turn out next time. If he doesn't those Republicans who sat on their hands might turn out to support any conservative candidate who doesn't qualify for a perp walk.

Well, in terms of where Moore was campaigning and the expectations he only did "well" in the sense that it was still some sort of race. In another jurisdiction, one not so heavily Republican he'd have been more than soundly beaten. In comparative terms, Moore and his team had a disaster. I get what you're saying about Jones although I'm sure he'd have taken the result as he'll have been fully expecting to lose the election anyway...

Again, the question remains. Why did Moore or at least his support team not get him to take a polygraph once the wheels were coming off?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, in terms of where Moore was campaigning and the expectations he only did "well" in the sense that it was still some sort of race. In another jurisdiction, one not so heavily Republican he'd have been more than soundly beaten. In comparative terms, Moore and his team had a disaster. I get what you're saying about Jones although I'm sure he'd have taken the result as he'll have been fully expecting to lose the election anyway...

Again, the question remains. Why did Moore or at least his support team not get him to take a polygraph once the wheels were coming off?
Maybe they did and it took a month of coaching to pass one. :idunno:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

It was all Jones could do to beat an alleged "molester". He barely beat Moore even with the perfectly timed smear campaign and tons of out of state liberal money.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It was all Jones could do to beat an alleged "molester". He barely beat Moore even with the perfectly timed smear campaign and tons of out of state liberal money.
No one who wasn't a legal resident of the state cast a ballot. Some lifelong Republicans refused to support Moore, senator Shelby among them. Don't overestimate the impact of outsiders or underestimate the intelligence of voters here. We're a bastion of conservatism, but that's not a blank check. My father, who would rather have a second knee surgery than vote for a Democrat, stayed home.

Arthur Brain

Pat, the fact that Jones won at all was practically unprecedented. You can't downplay the scope of what happened here like that. Alabama is one of the reddest states in America, a Republican stronghold and then some. Yet Moore lost.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Pat, the fact that Jones won at all was practically unprecedented. You can't downplay the scope of what happened here like that. Alabama is one of the reddest states in America, a Republican stronghold and then some. Yet Moore lost.
Do you think Moore would have won if he hadn't been branded a child molester one month before the election?

Arthur Brain

Do you think Moore would have won if he hadn't been branded a child molester one month before the election?

I think Moore's "responses" and his support teams inaction and ignorance did the main damage ironically. It's speculation as to whether he would have won or not without the allegations although it's fair to say he would obviously have had a better chance. That being said, Moore was already a source of controversy in politics for his hard line stances and his comments in regards to 9/11 weren't well received for obvious reasons. What he couldn't afford to do (and yet he and his support team did) was 'fight' a very lackluster campaign for the month after the allegations were made as if in hopes he'd win anyway simply for being a Republican in a Republican state. Even Porter conceded he should have had a polygraph at the time. His recent polygraph (however valid it is) is too little too late and his petty foot stamping about voter fraud has been kicked into touch.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Would a lot of voters have had a different impression of Moore absent multiple allegations of inappropriate acts relating to young women? I think so. A number of Republican leaders among them. And I'd bet that absent the allegations against O.J. a lot of people who aren't fond of him would be asking for his autograph.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Would a lot of voters have had a different impression of Moore absent multiple allegations of inappropriate acts relating to young women? I think so. A number of Republican leaders among them. And I'd bet that absent the allegations against O.J. a lot of people who aren't fond of him would be asking for his autograph.
Yeah, that's an even comparison. :carryon:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, that's an even comparison. :carryon:
Actually, I answered your question and noted that even among Republican leadership (including the other senator from our state) the opinion ran contrary to Moore's election.

The OJ comparison was offered on two points: first, perception fuels opinion. Secondly, you don't have to have been convicted of a thing for most people to believe that you're guilty of it. Or, Moore wasn't tried or convicted, outside of the court of public opinion in my state, but then O.J. was tried and found not guilty and people mostly believe he was the monster responsible for the murder of his wife and Ron.

The rest is history.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
C4-cuZpXAAAShpH.jpg

Its only a smear campaign when its directed at "patrick jane's" party of choice - its not a smear when its comes to denigrating anybody on "The Donald's" extensive enemies list -
*********************************************************************************
the FBI,
Special Council Mueller,
Former DBI Director Comey,
Hogn McCain (I like war heroes who weren't captured)
Barrack Obama (wiretapping),
"lying" Ted Cruz
Ted Cruz's father (JFK assassination),
the "fake media"
- CNN,
- MSNBC,
- New York Times,
- Washington Post,.....

Last edited: