ECT Job 23

nikolai_42

What is being said here :

My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined.
Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.
But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.
For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him.
Therefore am I troubled at his presence: when I consider, I am afraid of him.
For God maketh my heart soft, and the Almighty troubleth me:
Because I was not cut off before the darkness, neither hath he covered the darkness from my face.

Job 23:11-17

JosephR

Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.
But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.
For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him.
Because I was not cut off before the darkness, neither hath he covered the darkness from my face.

it is actually saying something very radical ,and Jesus said the same thing.

but thats my personal take on it. the key point for me is this..

"But he is in one mind, and who can turn him?"

oatmeal

Job is expressing his awe, his reverence of God.

JosephR

Job is expressing his awe, his reverence of God.

could it not be that Job is exspessing that Satan was not only testing Him but the mind of God in himself?

I see here Job saying He and the Father are One,just like Jesus did..

but very few realize this..Job and Jesus are a few that did..

Truster

Job is being brought to a place of realisation of the sovereignty of Yah Veh in all things. Job had practised religion to a point of obsession and had to be shown that there was a different requirement and a justness/righteousness that was not by the ideals and works of man, but via the promised Redeemer.

It took the greatest speech of Sovereign Independence to wake Job up, but when he was woken he said, ''I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes''.

The speech can be found 38:1 to 42:6 It is impossible to read this portion of scripture to often.

Job points out he's been upright in his life, wonders what is going on, but, at the same time, realizes God is inscrutable and sovereign in all things, not One to debate with, to try and "turn."

Job realizes the things happening to him are within the framework of God's sovereignty, that God does His wishes, that Job's terrors are somehow appointed by God, and, bottom line, this fills Job with fear of such an awesome God he can't completely know, understand, why God would appoint the dark events that came to Job, when Job can't see himself deserving this darkness, as his "friends" would claim because he's sinful. Yet what can Job really say to Almighty God, who is allowing this darkness? This would be something disturbing and fearful to anybody.

I see these verses as all about the limited understanding and smallness of the creature, before the Creator, Almighty God, Who, bottom line, we must have faith in, no matter what, and not according to our own limited understandings. This becomes the lesson of the book of Job. Who are we, that God should answer to us? We must have proper fear of God, simply trust Him.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
God tested Job's faith to see if he would persevere and overcome his trials. He did and was blessed.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Job is being brought to a place of realisation of the sovereignty of Yah Veh in all things. Job had practised religion to a point of obsession and had to be shown that there was a different requirement and a justness/righteousness that was not by the ideals and works of man, but via the promised Redeemer.

It took the greatest speech of Sovereign Independence to wake Job up, but when he was woken he said, ''I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes''.

The speech can be found 38:1 to 42:6 It is impossible to read this portion of scripture to often.

I said
Very good.

nikolai_42

What a blessed place to be (though utterly awful)! Isaiah knew that as well.

nikolai_42

Job points out he's been upright in his life, wonders what is going on, but, at the same time, realizes God is inscrutable and sovereign in all things, not One to debate with, to try and "turn."

Job realizes the things happening to him are within the framework of God's sovereignty, that God does His wishes, that Job's terrors are somehow appointed by God, and, bottom line, this fills Job with fear of such an awesome God he can't completely know, understand, why God would appoint the dark events that came to Job, when Job can't see himself deserving this darkness, as his "friends" would claim because he's sinful. Yet what can Job really say to Almighty God, who is allowing this darkness? This would be something disturbing and fearful to anybody.

I see these verses as all about the limited understanding and smallness of the creature, before the Creator, Almighty God, Who, bottom line, we must have faith in, no matter what, and not according to our own limited understandings. This becomes the lesson of the book of Job. Who are we, that God should answer to us? We must have proper fear of God, simply trust Him.

It must truly be a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God. The passage also hinted strongly at the unchangeable and unchanging nature of the Almighty - something which (on its own) must be a terrible thing to see for us changeable creatures.

It must truly be a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God. The passage also hinted strongly at the unchangeable and unchanging nature of the Almighty - something which (on its own) must be a terrible thing to see for us changeable creatures.

In my experience of this life, the more I've grown in faith, the lower I feel, in many ways as if an ignorant and unclean animal. We've been around a few years, learned some things, hopefully more and more, day to day, only for this increase in knowledge to reveal how little we actually know of things infinite, of questions as yet unfathomable, and of another world, a heaven, where God dwells, which we can only imagine and darkly so, hardly even see the true nature of life as it is meant to be experienced. The day we die, we're just infants. Seeing my own smallness, compared to the Lord's greatness, does leave me in the dust, the older I get, any pretense, pride of life, going out the window. I like what you said, so true, "What a blessed place to be (though utterly awful)! Isaiah knew that as well."

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Being exposed to Majesty has one effect. You see yourself as filthy, vile and undone.

I said
If a person can keep that image they can keep the Fear of God.

Luke 1:50
50 And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
(NKJ)

Truster

Being exposed to Majesty has one effect. You see yourself as filthy, vile and undone.

And from that moment on, whatever vile thing anyone calls me, they always fall short of what I have seen of myself.

Last edited: