JESUS IS NOT YHWH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
My faith in the resurrection of the Lord Jesus from the dead on the third day (Ro10:9KJV), is what compels me to accept that the Catholic Church is the One visible church today, that Jesus Christ Himself built upon Peter (Mt16:18KJV), and the One visible church today for which the Apostles labored so much to continue building (Eph2:20KJV). As such, I believe that every infallible teaching from Rome (all of it found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church) is the true verbal expression of the One Christian faith (Eph4:5KJV).

I accept freely and openly that Jesus Christ is YHWH, because I believe in the Church's magisterium to teach the truth, but there are teachings with which I must contort my mind a bit to accept, with faith. I don't think I'm alone in that my mind races to fill in every position I hold to, with words that support it. These words constitute my theology, and if I'm not wrong about everybody being somewhat like me, then your theology is also your own words that to you, supports your faith in the things that you believe.

I believe arianism in any forms is incorrect, but I cannot reject as a true sibling in Christ anyone who believes as I do, in the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ from the dead on the third day. :idunno:

Reactions: Lon

marhig

So Paul was in error when he answered this question?:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:30-31).​
So you honestly believe that all as you have to do is say I believe and that's it?

Once we repent, we are saved from our past sins, then we are to live by the will of God!

daqq

So you honestly believe that all as you have to do is say I believe and that's it?

Once we repent, we are saved from our past sins, then we are to live by the will of God!

Yep, that does appear to be what he believes, (we were just discussing it).
But according to James 2:19 the demons also believe, (and shudder).

It does the soul good to hear somebody mention repentance, which is integral to faith, which there can be no salvation without. Repentance, bottom line, involves agreement with God as to the issues. People who don’t agree with God, will, for instance, take salvation, without obedience, take a Savior but not a Lord? Just forget about it, this a false, demonic gospel.

What has always seemed so weird, there has long been this "one verse wonder" mentality. How many sermons have you heard on one Bible verse, a sentence from the word of God, then somebody bloviating pages of psychobabble for a half hour? While all scripture is truth, one verse is not the whole gospel. If the Lord had meant the gospel to fit in a fortune cookie, we wouldn't have a New Testament with so much more He has to say. The one verse mentality, which is, actually, unrepentant, hence contentment in ignorance, is going to damn many, many who thought the Christian faith easy believism and that grace, the blood of Jesus Christ, is cheap, that God is somehow mocked, that one is saved with the likes of the demons' confession.

James 2

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Of course, those who rip whole pages from the Bible these days say these verses are for Jews only, like all scripture is inconvenient and for Jews only that commands repentance, obedience, fruit of the Spirit, that is, the worship of God in spirit and in truth, John 4:23-24, Matthew 15:8. (Let’s not consider it’s Christian scripture, from a Christian on the mission to teach Christianity, as is the entire New Testament.)

To the cheap grace crowd, the faith is one verse, like touching your TV set for Billy Graham, getting your "get out of hell free" card, done deal, then back to mean as snakes or drinks all around at the bar. Truly, the demons also believe and tremble, at least they sense enough to tremble, anyway.

All roads to hell begin with unrepentance, Luke 18:10-14, Matthew 5:3-4. And some things nobody can fake, Hebrews 4:12-13, the Holy Spirit not poured into a dirty, unrepentant vessel in the first place, Mark 2:21-22.

Matthew 7

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

KingdomRose

Re. Lon's post #229....

OK, so I am an "ignoramus" and "wicked" according to you. I have to say that I could continue to break apart your fallacious statements in great detail, but I can see that whatever I say is dismissed by you out of hand. After all, you have all non-trinitarians on "ignore," as you said. I don't know why you don't ignore me; that would be nice.

I do not live to spread "snippets" of the WT literature. I strive to help people understand what the Bible REALLY teaches, and I read it every day. I can see very clearly what it teaches, and it is NOT what you spew forth. You act like you KNOW how I think and what I do. That is quite interesting that you have such a measure of pomposity and arrogance.

BTW....You challenged me to find "any" Jehovah's Witness that can read a passage written in Greek and tell me what it means. Well, there are 29,000 Greek Jehovah's Witnesses that can do just that.

Lon

Re. Lon's post #229....

OK, so I am an "ignoramus" and "wicked" according to you. I have to say that I could continue to break apart your fallacious statements in great detail, but I can see that whatever I say is dismissed by you out of hand. After all, you have all non-trinitarians on "ignore," as you said. I don't know why you don't ignore me; that would be nice.
You can put me on ignore if you wish. I have those on ignore that have expressed their flesh in ugly manners.

I do not live to spread "snippets" of the WT literature. I strive to help people understand what the Bible REALLY teaches, and I read it every day. I can see very clearly what it teaches, and it is NOT what you spew forth. You act like you KNOW how I think and what I do. That is quite interesting that you have such a measure of pomposity and arrogance.
Hello? "Kingdom" Rose??????
:doh: You are not even fooling yourself. :nono:

BTW....You challenged me to find "any" Jehovah's Witness that can read a passage written in Greek and tell me what it means. Well, there are 29,000 Greek Jehovah's Witnesses that can do just that.
I've never met one. I had the regional director in my house. He could 'pronounce' Greek but like CT Russell, couldn't but 'pronounce' words, and under oath, didn't know what "reading" meant. Neither do most JW's. It is an arrogant statement of non-factuals.

That is NOT reading Greek. I challenged you to get a Greek Bible, go to any one of them, and ask them to tell you what a passage of your choosing means. The regional director could not. He left embarrassed, calling me names, because of 'his embarrassment and lack' in front of one of his best. That member agreed with me, that the behavior of the regional director was poor and that he could not, in fact, as he stated, read Greek. One of the Arians on TOL uses a Greek program. I asked him to translate. I knew he was using a program, because I purposefully made syntax errors and he did catch one of them :( For your own good, hold them suspect until they can prove their claim to you. You don't want to be following flim-flam artists and charlatans. If they are at all found untruthful in a little, they will be found untruthful in much. Tip of the icebergs are all lies. Again, in service to you. I have no desire to brainwash you at all. Just think for yourself and pray God to guide you. -Lon

KingdomRose

So Paul was in error when he answered this question?:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:30-31).​

Oh no, Paul was not in error. He just didn't include EVERYTHING that it takes to be saved. Indeed, James said: "Faith without works is dead." That must make you very frustrated. Well, it's not frustrating if you blend the two scriptures together. Both are correct.

"14 What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,' and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? 17 Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead being by itself. 18 But someone may say, 'You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith BY my works.' 19 You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder. 20 But are you willing to recognize, you foolish fellow, that faith without works is useless? ...24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 In the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead."

(James 2:14-26, NASB)

KingdomRose

Re. Lon's post #267....I do not personally know any Greek JWs. There are 29,000 of them in Greece that, I'm sure, know that you are full of torrid vapory.
:jolly:

Lon

Re. Lon's post #267....I do not personally know any Greek JWs. There are 29,000 of them in Greece that, I'm sure, know that you are full of torrid vapory.
:jolly:

:plain: You are ignorant on this too. And seriously? "Hot mist" is the best you could come up with? :doh:

Nihilo just above me is correct. It would be akin to you trying to read Gaelic.

Look, you can believe as you like, of course you can. The problem is whether it is what God wants you to know or not. Deal with Him, not me or another. We outnumber you 600 to one. Chance are, one of us knows what we are talking about. Again, that too is between you and God. I've nothing but information for you. You have to be changed by God or be changed by yourself. Don't let a kingdom hall do it to you without some of your own study. -Lon

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
John 1:1, understanding the philosophical concept of 'logos' is key.......

John 1:1, understanding the philosophical concept of 'logos' is key.......

There are tons of scriptures that address you. John 1:1 encapsulates our belief in one verse as well as addresses your question directly: "Both."

John 1:1 does not prove Jesus is YHWH. It would be a rather weak 'proof-text', since all it indicates is that the 'logos' (idea, thought, logic, wisdom, word) of 'God' is divine like 'God',...since the 'logos' is derived from 'God', one with 'God'. It is very clear that "in the beginning" this 'creative word',...the spoken word of God is what brought all things into being, for that creative principle is God's creative VOICE, it is that THRU which God creates, brings things into existence. The 'logos' is divine, because it is God's VOICE, logic, creative word, divine wisdom expressing, that designing intelligence which orders/orchestrates creation, his MIND-program, purpose, plan, articulator.

That the logos is 'a' god, or 'divine', or 'a' God (of God) is what the verse indicates, NOT that the logos itself is The Father-God, since 'God' and the 'logos' are clearly distinct and different entities. The 'logos' is WITH 'God', NOT 'God', but only 'theos' as being 'of' theos, being the offspring of Theos. The 'logos' is God's agent/agency,....and not God himself,...which would be an absurd and illogical contradiction.

~*~*~

Among 207 Bible translations.....42 render a different translation than the traditional "and the word was God"....showing there are other possible and logical ways to contextually translate this passage. Context is key as well. See here.

Some acceptable translation variations
-

"The Logos existed in the very beginning, the Logos was with God, the Logos was divine."

-James Moffat Translation

"When time began the Idea already was. The Idea was at home with God, and the Idea and God were one."

- Cotton Patch Version (Jordan)

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god."

- New Testament being the English Only (Kneeland 1823)

"In the beginning was the plan of Yahweh, and the plan was with Yahweh, and the plan was Yahweh’s."

- The Book of Yahweh: The Holy Scriptures (Hawkins 1987)

"In the beginning the Word already was. The Word was in God's presence, and what God was, the Word was."

- Revised English Bible

---------------------------

Philo's view of 'God' and the 'logos'
are also significant here as contemporaneous philosophical belief systems and influences near Jesus time.

While one's Christology may include the logos being Jesus, or the 'logos' as being an impersonal power, principle or subordinate entity,....of course Jesus is the Messiah-Son, who serves as the Agent-Word of the Father, so the Lord-Messiah is the vehicle of the divine-logos, in its plans, purpose and program orchestrating man's salvation/liberation. There are other ways to understand and incorporate the 'logos' in one's Christology, besides a traditional-orthodox Trinitarian model. In this way, I've a predisposition for a more greek philosophical orientation, with some gnostic-pagan infusions from the Alexandrian school, and other archetypal traditions.

"In the beginning was the wisdom, logic, Idea of Deity,....this was with God, and so by relation was divine like God" - a paraphrase ;)

Lon

:doh: paraphrases. Do you ever read anything beside your own verbose shallow musings?
I covered all of this and you honestly didn't read for content. Worse, your posts to us nearly always contain something blasphemous about our God that is offensive and rejected, all from your make-believe blasphemous moon-beam mind.

John 1:2 calls Logos "He" :dizzy: You are remiss in allowing the God of the universe dictate to you. You trying to dictate to God is judgement seat material. You will stand there and give an account for doing this awful thing.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

da8d695081070196237b75aa6e5a5abd.jpg

In en the beginning arch? was eimi the ho Word logos, and kai the ho Word logos was eimi with pros · ho God theos , and kai the ho Word logos was eimi God theos .He houtos was eimi in en the beginning arch? with pros · ho God theos.All pas things were created ginomai by dia him autos, and kai apart ch?ris from him autos not oude a single thing heis was created ginomai that hos has been created ginomai .In en him autos was eimi life z??, and kai that ho life z?? was eimi the ho light ph?s of ho men anthr?pos .· kai The ho light ph?s shines on phain? in en the ho darkness skotia, and kai the ho darkness skotia has katalamban? not ou understood katalamban? it autos .There came ginomai on the scene a man anthr?pos sent apostell? from para God theos, whose autos name onoma was John I?ann?s .He houtos came erchomai as eis a witness martyria to hina bear testimony martyre? about peri the ho light ph?s so that hina everyone pas might believe pisteu? through dia him autos.He ekeinos was eimi not ou the ho light ph?s, but alla came to hina bear testimony martyre? about peri the ho light ph?s .The ho true al?thinos light ph?s, · ho which hos enlightens ph?tiz? everyone pas anthr?pos , was eimi coming erchomai into eis the ho world kosmos .He was eimi in en the ho world kosmos, and kai the ho world kosmos was created ginomai by dia him autos , but kai the ho world kosmos did gin?sk? not ou know gin?sk? him autos .He came erchomai to eis that ho which was his idios own, but kai his ho own idios people did paralamban? not ou accept paralamban? him autos .But de as many hosos as did accept lamban? him autos, to them autos he gave did?mi the right exousia to become ginomai children teknon of God theos , to those ho who believe pisteu? in eis · ho his autos name onoma ,who hos were born genna?, not ou from ek human haima stock or oude from ek a physical sarx impulse thel?ma or oude by ek a husband’ s an?r decision thel?ma , but alla by ek God theos .And kai the ho Word logos became ginomai flesh sarx and kai dwelt sk?no? among en us h?meis, and kai we gazed theaomai on · ho his autos glory doxa , glory doxa as h?s of the only monogen?s Son from para the Father pat?r , full pl?r?s of grace charis and kai truth al?theia .John I?ann?s testified martyre? about peri him autos and kai cried kraz? out, saying leg? , “ This houtos is eimi he of whom hos I said leg? , ‘ He ho who comes erchomai after opis? me eg? is ginomai greater emprosthen than I eg? , because hoti he existed eimi before pr?tos me eg? .’” - John 1:1-15 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John1:1-15&version=MOUNCE

does not prove Jesus is YHWH. It would be a rather weak 'proof-text', since all it indicates is that the 'logos' (idea, thought, logic, wisdom, word) of 'God' is divine like 'God',...since the 'logos' is derived from 'God', one with 'God'. It is very clear that "in the beginning" this 'creative word',...the spoken word of God is what brought all things into being, for that creative principle is God's creative VOICE, it is that THRU which God creates, brings things into existence. The 'logos' is divine, because it is God's VOICE, logic, creative word, divine wisdom expressing, that designing intelligence which orders/orchestrates creation, his MIND-program, purpose, plan, articulator.

John 1:1 alone does not prove Jesus is YHWH, true.

Which is why it's important to not look at singular verses alone for proof text. You have to read the surrounding verses for context, hence why above I have provided the Greek/English interlinear translation of John 1.

In John 1:1 We see that the Logos was in the beginning, and that the Logos was with God, and was God.

In John 1:2 We see that He (so we know that the Logos is a person) was in the beginning with God.

In John 1:3 We see that the Logos made all things, and apart from Him, nothing was made (or created) that was made.

In John 1:4 We see that in Him was life, and that life was the light of men.

In John 1:5 We see that the light (of men) shines in the darkness, and the darkness does not understand it.

In John 1:6-9 We see that John the Baptist was sent by God as a witness to bear testimony of the light, so that everyone might believe through him, and that John is not the light, only that he bears testimony that the light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.

In John 1:10 We see that the Logos was in the world, and that the world was made by Him, but the world did not know Him.

In John 1:11 We see that the Logos came to His own (Israel, God's people), but they didn't receive Him.

In John 1:12-13 We see that those who did accept Him and believe in His name He gave the right to become children of God, who were born by God, and not of human stock or physical impulse or by a husband's decision.

In John 1:14 We see that the Logos became a man (flesh) and dwelt among us (mankind), and we gazed on the glory of the Logos, the glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

And in John 1:15 We see that John testified of the Logos, who comes after John, but is greater than him, because the Logos existed before John.

I could go on through the rest of the chapter, but that would take more time than I have currently, and I think those first 15 verses make it abundantly clear that Jesus, in fact, IS the Logos.

Now, who else could John the Baptist be talking about, BUT JESUS? No one.

That the logos is 'a' god, or 'divine', or 'a' God (of God) is what the verse indicates, NOT that the logos itself is The Father-God, since 'God' and the 'logos' are clearly distinct and different entities.

There's a rule called the Granville-Sharp rule, which states thusly:

"Two nouns connected by kai* (και), the first with the article and the second without it, are by the article identified as one and the same individual or class."

For example, when I say, "the father and the husband," it implies that I'm talking of two separate persons. However, if I say, "the father and husband," it's a very clear indication that I'm talking about the same person, but two titles were attributed to him.

Please, go read this (if any of it, read 4A):
http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/egreek/egreek05.htm

The 'logos' is WITH 'God', NOT 'God', but only 'theos' as being 'of' theos, being the offspring of Theos.

The Logos is with God and is God, as John 1:1 clearly states.

The 'logos' is God's agent/agency,....and not God himself,...which would be an absurd and illogical contradiction.

The only absurd and illogical contradiction is you saying that the Logos is not God Himself.

---

Among 207 Bible translations.....42 render a different translation than the traditional "and the word was God"....showing there are other possible and logical ways to contextually translate this passage. Context is key as well.

Which you apparently ignored throughout the first half of your post. If context was important to you, then you would have known right away that the Logos is Jesus is God.

See here.

Some acceptable translation variations -

"The Logos existed in the very beginning, the Logos was with God, the Logos was divine."

-James Moffat Translation

Divine implies that the Logos is God, because only God is divine. Ergo, the Logos is God.

"When time began the Idea already was. The Idea was at home with God, and the Idea and God were one."

- Cotton Patch Version (Jordan)

While "logos" can mean idea, it is clear that in this passage it is referring to the Word of God, who is a person, and that that person is Jesus Christ.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god."

- New Testament being the English Only (Kneeland 1823)

Again, using the Granville-Sharp rule, we know that "the Word was a god" is an incorrect translation of the phrase.

"In the beginning was the plan of Yahweh, and the plan was with Yahweh, and the plan was Yahweh’s."

- The Book of Yahweh: The Holy Scriptures (Hawkins 1987)

"the plan was Yahweh s"
Is that "s" supposed to indicate possession? Or just a typo?

The original greek does not indicate anywhere or in any way that the Word "belonged" to God, it states that the Word was (and is, because Jesus still exists) God.

"In the beginning the Word already was. The Word was in God's presence, and what God was, the Word was."

- Revised English Bible

"and what God was, the Word was"
This translation fails to convey the same meaning as the original text, which is that the Logos was God.

---------------------------

Philo's view of 'God' and the 'logos'
are also significant here as contemporaneous philosophical belief systems and influences near Jesus time.

Why would you use Greek philosophy to interpret the Bible? The Greeks were polytheistic pagans.

While one's Christology may include the logos being Jesus, or the 'logos' as being an impersonal power, principle or subordinate entity,....of course Jesus is the Messiah-Son, who serves as the Agent-Word of the Father, so the Lord-Messiah is the vehicle of the divine-logos, in its plans, purpose and program orchestrating man's salvation/liberation.

Jesus is the Logos is God. That's how simple it is.

There are other ways to understand and incorporate the 'logos' in one's Christology, besides a traditional-orthodox Trinitarian model.

Thats only if you don't consider the context of what is being said, which you clearly do not.

In this way, I've a predisposition for a more greek philosophical orientation, with some gnostic-pagan infusions from the Alexandrian school, and other archetypal traditions.

No wonder you're having so many problems. Do you think, Freelight, that if God wrote a book, He would make easy to understand the message contained therein? That we wouldn't need philosophers to try to understand it? Certainly He would hide things, because He likes it when we dig into His Word, to find out more about Him. But they wouldn't be hard to understand once we found them...

So again, why would it be necessary to use, of all things, a paganistic view of the Bible to interpret it? It goes against the very essence of the Bible.

"In the beginning was the wisdom, logic, Idea of Deity,....this was with God, and so by relation was divine like God" - a paraphrase ;)

Why paraphrase, especially if the result is something that doesn't match scripture? It's so simple that there's no need to paraphrase.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

SimpleMan77

da8d695081070196237b75aa6e5a5abd.jpg
While "logos" can mean idea, it is clear that in this passage it is referring to the Word of God, who is a person, and that that person is Jesus Christ.

The Word became a person at the incarnation. Prior to that point, the "word" referred to God projecting His will, His purpose, His nature, His power from the invisible, eternal realm into the tangible, temporary realm. The Word was God projecting Himself. God turned the revelation of Himself into a human, and Himself became a man. He limited himself in Christ, but never stopped being the infinite, omnipresent God of eternity.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

daqq

John 1:18a ASV
18a No man hath seen God at any time;

1 John 4:12a ASV
12a No man hath beheld God at any time:

PERIOD. :)

SimpleMan77

John 1:18a ASV
18a No man hath seen God at any time;

1 John 4:12a ASV
12a No man hath beheld God at any time:

PERIOD. :)

"His name shall be called... the Mighty God". Period.
You can't take one verse and get a true picture. You have to take all the scriptures together.

daqq

"His name shall be called... the Mighty God". Period.
You can't take one verse and get a true picture. You have to take all the scriptures together.

Nope, it says, "And he shall call His name...Mighty God", and additionally what you are essentially saying is "Just close your eyes and blind yourself to those two passages you quoted so we can agree." And to that, I say, no thank you. :)

Isaiah 9:6 YLT
6 For a Child hath been born to us, A Son hath been given to us, And the princely power is on his shoulder, And He doth call his name Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Father of Eternity, Prince of Peace.

The emphasis is on the One who is upon his shoulder, (mSARah: the Arche - Princely Power).

SimpleMan77

Nope, it says, "And he shall call His name...Mighty God", and additionally what you are essentially saying is "Just close your eyes and blind yourself to those two passages you quoted so we can agree." And to that, I say, no thank you. :)

Isaiah 9:6 YLT
6 For a Child hath been born to us, A Son hath been given to us, And the princely power is on his shoulder, And He doth call his name Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Father of Eternity, Prince of Peace.

The emphasis is on the One who is upon his shoulder, (mSARah: the Arche - Princely Power).

I could quote dozens of others, but I doubt you'd be interested...

CherubRam

Commentary on John 1:1.

Pantheion

Greek pantheion, from pan 'all' + theion 'Divine Eternal-s' (from theios 'divine.')
From Greek aion, meaning Eternal, for an infinite amount of time Pantheion: Pan/the/ion. All Divine Eternal-s. The word “All” makes it plural.

aeon or aion or eon
1. An immeasurably long period of time. From Greek, Aion, an infinitely long time.

Greek word TON and THEON.
From the Scripture4All program. Link: www.scripture4all.org/

The Greek word "TON" is translated 1583 times as "the;" And 18 times as "the -one." It is used before nouns to mean a {certain-one-person-s,} or place, or thing. However, different translations of Greek do not always agree. That is the reason for my interpretation of John 1:1 as "the only Divine Eternal." In English the word “one” can also be translated as “only.” TON: The only. THEON: Divine Eternal.

John 1:1

Greek:
en arche en ho logos kai ho logos en pros ton theon kai theos en ho logos

Interlinear:
en (in) arche (beginning) en (was) ho (the) logos (Word) kai (and) ho (the) logos (Word) en (was) pos (toward or with) ton (TON is a special definite article "the" meaning the one and only, it appears as TON instead of O in the Greek) theon (Divine Eternal) kai (and) theos (Divine) en (was) ho (the) logos (Word)

In English we have:
In beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the (one or only) Divine Eternal, and Divine was the Word.

The defining article "a" must be supplied for the English language, to define that there is another Divine that is not the "Divine Eternal."

Why do translators drop off the definite article TON (the one or only) before Divine Eternal?

Theon and Theos
They both mean Divine, but in different cases. Theos is the nominative, Theon is accusative. Another form is Theou, which is genitive.

John 1:1 reads: “In [the] beginning was the Word, and the Word was with [τὸν θεὸν, (TON THEON) literally, the only Divine Eternal], and the Word was divine. [θεὸς].”

In the first instance (“the Word was with the only Divine Eternal”) it is in the accusative case and thus is spelled θεὸν [theon] But in the second occurrence it is in the nominative case, and so it is spelled θεὸς [theos]
Ton Theon was also applied to Zeus, meaning "The Only Divine Eternal."

Eon or Aeon; a very long time.
The word aeon, also spelled eon or æon, originally means "life", and / or "being", though it then tended to mean "age", "forever" or "for eternity". It is a Latin transliteration from the koine Greek word ὁ αἰών (ho aion), from the archaic αἰϝών (aiwon).

In Homer it typically refers to life or lifespan. Its latest meaning is more or less similar to the Sanskrit word kalpa and Hebrew word olam. A cognate Latin word aevum or aeuum (cf. αἰϝών) for "age" is present in words such as longevity.

Although the term aeon may be used in reference to a period of a billion years, its more common usage is for any long, indefinite, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.