JESUS: "Behold, I Stand At The Door And Knock" Rev. 3:20.

Robert Pate

Banned
The main theological question is what is the door that Jesus is knocking on?

If you are a Calvinist you will probably dismiss this scripture completely because it implies that man has a free will. They believe that the God of Calvinism is far greater than the God of the scriptures.

What is the door that Jesus is knocking at? It is the door of our intellect. Isaiah also said, "come let us reason together though your sins be as scarlet they can be as white as wool" Isaiah 1:18. I have heard it taught that Jesus wants us to open the door of our heart so that he can come in and make us pleasing to God. This is Catholic Romanism and is not according to the Bible.

Jesus is knocking at the door of our intellect, and of course you have the power to open the door, if God didn't give you a free will to open the door Jesus would not be knocking. Some will say that Jesus is only knocking on the door of the elect. If that were true, which it is not. Then Jesus is unjust. An unjust Jesus Can't save anyone.

The Holy Spirit is in the world and is knocking on every ones door. Some hear the knock and walk away because they love their sins more than they love Jesus. Some hear the knock and jamb a chair under the door knob so that it can never be opened. Others hear the knock and open the door and invite Jesus to come into their lives, their intellect and their heart.

"But as many as received him, to them gave he the power to become the Sons of God, even to them that believe on his name" John 1:12.

To receive Jesus is to receive his Gospel. If you do not receive his Gospel you have not received Jesus as your savior. In the Gospel Jesus comes into the world as our new Adam and representative. His mission is to do for us that which we cannot do for ourselves because we are sinners. By his holy sinless life he offers to God the Father a life of perfect obedience according to his holy law, Matthew 5:18.

That was not enough, something had to be done about our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. "For he has made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" 2 Corinthians 5:21.

Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus we now stand as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. Not only have we been reconciled unto God, the whole world has been reconciled unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. To believe and to embrace Jesus Christ as your only means of salvation is to open the door that Jesus is knocking on and receive him as your savior.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

If you are a Calvinist you will probably dismiss this scripture completely because it implies that man has a free will. They believe that the God of Calvinism is far greater than the God of the scriptures.

What is the door that Jesus is knocking at? It is the door of our intellect. Isaiah also said, "come let us reason together though your sins be as scarlet they can be as white as wool" Isaiah 1:18. I have heard it taught that Jesus wants us to open the door of our heart so that he can come in and make us pleasing to God. This is Catholic Romanism and is not according to the Bible.

Jesus is knocking at the door of our intellect, and of course you have the power to open the door, if God didn't give you a free will to open the door Jesus would not be knocking. Some will say that Jesus is only knocking on the door of the elect. If that were true, which it is not. Then Jesus is unjust. An unjust Jesus Can't save anyone.

The Holy Spirit is in the world and is knocking on every ones door. Some hear the knock and walk away because they love their sins more than they love Jesus. Some hear the knock and jamb a chair under the door knob so that it can never be opened. Others hear the knock and open the door and invite Jesus to come into their lives, their intellect and their heart.

"But as many as received him, to them gave he the power to become the Sons of God, even to them that believe on his name" John 1:12.

To receive Jesus is to receive his Gospel. If you do not receive his Gospel you have not received Jesus as your savior. In the Gospel Jesus comes into the world as our new Adam and representative. His mission is to do for us that which we cannot do for ourselves because we are sinners. By his holy sinless life he offers to God the Father a life of perfect obedience according to his holy law, Matthew 5:18.

That was not enough, something had to be done about our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. "For he has made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" 2 Corinthians 5:21.

Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus we now stand as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. Not only have we been reconciled unto God, the whole world has been reconciled unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. To believe and to embrace Jesus Christ as your only means of salvation is to open the door that Jesus is knocking on and receive him as your savior.
The Bible has many scriptures about us seeking God, that requires free will.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Bible has many scriptures about us seeking God, that requires free will.

Yep!

Like:

Act 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
Act 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Jesus is knocking at the door of one of his congregations.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." (Revelation 3:20-22)

John said, "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God" (John 1:12)

They have the right to become the children of God, but do they have the will?

The children of God are those who overcome whatever they need to overcome.

We have the power to overcome anything, especially sin.

We are our Father's children.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
BTW, the seven congregations of Revelation are grouped by works, not geography.

Robert Pate

Banned
Jesus is knocking at the door of one of his congregations.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him and he with Me. To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." (Revelation 3:20-22)

John said, "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God" (John 1:12)

They have the right to become the children of God, but do they have the will?

The children of God are those who overcome whatever they need to overcome.

We have the power to overcome anything, especially sin.

We are our Father's children.

Revelation 3:20 is to the church, but is also very personal, "I will come in to him and will sup with him" Supping means fellowshipping. I believe that it is a bit arrogant to say that you have power to overcome sin. The only one that overcame sin was Jesus Christ. He overcame it for us.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe that it is a bit arrogant to say that you have power to overcome sin. The only one that overcame sin was Jesus Christ. He overcame it for us.

Of course we can overcome sin. Why would you say we can't.

Paul named nine things the holy Spirit gives us, but there are three more he didn't name.

Paul didn't name power, truth, and life, but all three are available to us.

Our elder Brother had the power to overcome sin and we have the same Spirit.

Robert Pate

Banned

Paul named nine things the holy Spirit gives us, but there are three more he didn't name.

The fact that you think that you can overcome sin is a major flaw in your Christian doctrine.

It shows me that you are not indwelt with the Holy Spirit, 1 John 1:8.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Holy Spirit is in the world and is knocking on every ones door.

Robert, how many times have I pointed out to you that this is fake news?

Why do you persist in proclaiming something that is just not true?

"For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called." (1 Corinthians 1:26)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The fact that you think that you can overcome sin is a major flaw in your Christian doctrine.

It shows me that you are not indwelt with the Holy Spirit, 1 John 1:8.

"knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin." (Romans 6:6-7)

"Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body." (Romans 6:12)

Robert Pate

Banned
"knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin." (Romans 6:6-7)

Romans 6:6, 7. Is something that God has done outside of us in Jesus Christ. In Jesus Christ God has defeated sin, death and the devil and we are now perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. All of this is spiritual.

It gives us great strength to know that our sins have been abolished by the doing and the dying of Jesus.

However, we are still here in our Adamic bodies that are prone to sin. We have not been totally or completely sanctified in Christ yet, this is why Paul said, "The good that I would do I don't do it, instead I do the evil" Romans 7:19.

Sometimes the flesh gets the best of us. This does not mean that we are lost. It just means that we are still human.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
It gives us great strength to know that our sins have been abolished by the doing and the dying of Jesus.

Is that why the Spirit inspired Peter to say, "Repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins" (Acts 2:38)

Are we required to repent of sins that were abolished in 30 CE before we were born?

glorydaz

It's with the heart we believe unto righteousness.

glorydaz

Reading your posts is like eating at the local Smorgasbord.

"Elder brother"?

We don't overcome sin. Our Lord Jesus Christ did.

We are delivered from the law, and are now dead to sin....again thanks to His work on the Cross. Romans 7:6, Romans 6:7-8

1 Corinthians 15:56-57
56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.​

glorydaz

All Christ's work.....none of our overcoming sin in there.

In fact, it isn't until you read a bit further that you'll notice that it was obedience to the Gospel that caused us to be freed from sin. There was none of our DOING involved. It was all His doing.

Romans 6:16-18 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? 17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

When we "believe unto righteousness", we are obeying the Gospel, and we are made free from sin, and we are made servants of righteousness. "New creatures".....all things are new. Not by what we have done, but what God is performing in us. Take no credit for what God does....it's boasting, and boasting is excluded by the Law of Faith. Romans 3:27

Robert Pate

Banned
Is that why the Spirit inspired Peter to say, "Repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins" (Acts 2:38)

Are we required to repent of sins that were abolished in 30 CE before we were born?

All of the requirements for our salvation have already been met by the doing and the dying of Jesus.

We are "Complete in him" Colossians 2:10.

glorydaz

How nice. So we receive a reward for something we didn't do?

That's crazy.

I don't know what reward you think you will receive when it was nothing you did...nor could you do.

The verses you presented pointed to Christ's work....not yours.