Jehovah Witness Teaching compared with The Bible

NWL

I mentioned to a JW on another thread, that I agreed with the JWs on some of their teachings, but that I disagreed with quite a few of their other teachings. I hope to present some of these differences in this thread, and I hope we can take this steadily, without jumping to every topic at once. Possibly as each topic is reasonably covered we can either agree, or disagree, but our respective positions will be reasonably covered. I hope to learn from this interaction.

Topic 1: The return of our Lord Jesus Christ from heaven
Acts 1:9-11 (KJV): 9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. 10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
Acts 1:9-11 (NWT 2013): 9 After he had said these things, while they were looking on, he was lifted up and a cloud caught him up from their sight. 10 And as they were gazing into the sky while he was on his way, suddenly two men in white garments stood beside them 11 and said: “Men of Galʹi·lee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus who was taken up from you into the sky will come in the same manner as you have seen him going into the sky.”

My understanding of the above is that Jesus is to return to the earth in a similar way to that mentioned above, literally, visibly and as a result Jesus will be actually upon the earth, and no longer in heaven. I also believe that the return of Jesus is still future and when this occurs it will result in the overthrow of the kingdoms of men and be the start of the establishment of the Kingdom of God upon earth that will last for 1000 years.

My assessment of the JW position is that Jesus will not literally return to the earth. I will let them explain their position, but it could be that Jesus returned invisibly in 1914, but is still in heaven. There may be other reasons why they claim that he will not literally return or that it is not possible for Jesus to return to the earth.

Kind regards
Trevor

I have not read through all the post made by Soc or KR so forgive me if you have been asked this point already.

I can see you state Jesus returns "literally, visibly and as a result Jesus will be actually upon the earth", when you say he literally returns, doing so visibly, are you stating he will return as he appeared to making back in the 1CE in human form? If so I can highlight a number or reason as to why this would be incorrect according to the bible and why the scriptures demands that Jesus return be invisible.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
I have not read through all the post made by Soc or KR so forgive me if you have been asked this point already.

I can see you state Jesus returns "literally, visibly and as a result Jesus will be actually upon the earth", when you say he literally returns, doing so visibly, are you stating he will return as he appeared to making back in the 1CE in human form? If so I can highlight a number or reason as to why this would be incorrect according to the bible and why the scriptures demands that Jesus return be invisible.

The mama bird is the WatchTower that has you duped into being its eternal slave.

The baby bird is you.

The worm is lies you have learned.

TrevorL

Greetings again NWL,
SoC discussed Acts 1:9-11 fairly thoroughly and in the process there was some discussion on the resurrection of Jesus and whether he was visible or not. I suppose he has similar views as your understanding, and I gave some answers, but I am happy to consider this with you. You stated in the other thread “JW's teach the plain truths of the bible without the need to twist, or further define such texts”, and I see the need for both of us to seek to determine what the Bible teaches in the various texts, and try to avoid imposing our previous concepts upon each text. I am sure that you will catch me out on some of these, and I hope to learn from this.

Topic 1: The return of our Lord Jesus Christ from heaven (cont’d)
I am stating what I understand Acts 1:9-11 teaches in clear simple language. They had companied him to the Mount of Olives, and he was taken up from them visibly. The angels stated that this same Jesus would return in the same manner as they had seen him go. He had substance and they saw him go. When you speak of “human form”, this is part of JW terminology and teaching. Jesus was born a human, he lived say 33 years, was crucified and died. He lay in the tomb for 3 days and then he was resurrected and his mortal body was changed to an immortal body, a spiritual body, and I believe still visible and substance, with the body that was in the tomb changed not replaced. So in appearance, a human form, but now a spiritual body Acts 2:25-28.

The following also gives some indication of how Peter understood these words by the angels:
Acts 3:19-21 (KJV): 19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
Acts 3:19-21 (NWT 2013): 19 “Repent, therefore, and turn around so as to get your sins blotted out, so that seasons of refreshing may come from Jehovah himself 20 and he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus. 21 Heaven must hold this one within itself until the times of restoration of all things of which God spoke through the mouth of his holy prophets of old.

He speaks of the future time when Jesus will return from heaven. I would also like to add Zechariah 14:4 which indicates that in the future Jesus will stand upon the Mount of Olives and this appears to be a strong link with Acts 1:9-11.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

The topics already discussed in this thread are:
Topic 2: When and where will Jesus sit upon the Throne of David
Topic 3: Jesus will subdue and convert Israel and the nations at his return and then reign over them.
Topic 4: JW Teaching Environment, Literature and The New World Translation
Topic 5: Who is the King of the North?
Topic 6: The return of the Jews to the Land of Israel

While discussing Topic 1 there was mention of the resurrection of Jesus and whether he was visible or invisible as a result of the resurrection. I would like to start another topic on the resurrection of Jesus.

Topic 7 The resurrection of the human body of Jesus
Peter on the Day of Pentecost teaches concerning the resurrection of Jesus:
Acts 2: 22-31 (KJV): 22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: 23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: 24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it. 25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved: 26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope: 27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance. 29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
This is a large quotation, but it gives the overall picture. Each part contributes to a correct understanding of this subject.

Verse 24 says that it was not possible that Jesus should be held in death, and my understanding of this is it is partly because he had not sinned, and death was introduced as a result of Adam’s sin. Therefore the sinlessness of Jesus is a reversal of the sentence of death in the garden. I also believe Jesus was raised because of God’s love and fellowship with His Son.

Verse 26 says his flesh would rest in hope, and this teaches that Jesus would rest in the grave until God raised him from the grave, but note “his flesh” is synonymous with himself, his flesh was to be raised from the grave, but this seems to be different to some JW teaching, as they do not teach the resurrection of the human body of Jesus.

Verse 27 states that his soul would not be left in hell. Now I share with the JWs that man does not have an immortal soul. I believe that Genesis 2:7 is where the soul is firstly defined and is applicable here. When Adam was created he was formed from the dust and God breathed into his nostrils and he became a living soul. When Jesus died he became a dead soul, and was in the grave. So v27 is teaching that once again his soul, his body and life would be raised and he would again be a living soul.

Verse 27 also states that his flesh would not see corruption. Adam and all his descendants have been under the sentence of death, and Genesis 3:19 describes this by saying that Adam was dust and unto dust he would return. But here Jesus had not sinned and as a result he would not return to the dust, and his flesh would not corrupt, but be raised from the dead. The JWs seem to claim that Jesus was raised a Spirit, and as a result Jesus left behind his human body in the tomb. They are forced by the fact that the tomb was empty, and because of this statement concerning the body not corrupting, to speculate that the body was preserved. This is clearly contrary to what is being taught here.

Verse 30 teaches that when Jesus sits upon the throne of David that Jesus will be a descendant of David, and that this connection with the flesh of David will be evident in his son, the Lord Jesus Christ. In other words Jesus as a Spirit being does not supersede the human body of Jesus, but his body was raised from the dead and changed into a spiritual body. The whole concept of visible and invisible, human body and Spirit creature taught by the JWs does not have a basis in Apostolic teaching.

Kind regards
Trevor

NWL

SoC discussed Acts 1:9-11 fairly thoroughly and in the process there was some discussion on the resurrection of Jesus and whether he was visible or not. I suppose he has similar views as your understanding, and I gave some answers, but I am happy to consider this with you. You stated in the other thread “JW's teach the plain truths of the bible without the need to twist, or further define such texts”, and I see the need for both of us to seek to determine what the Bible teaches in the various texts, and try to avoid imposing our previous concepts upon each text. I am sure that you will catch me out on some of these, and I hope to learn from this.

Topic 1: The return of our Lord Jesus Christ from heaven (cont’d)
I am stating what I understand Acts 1:9-11 teaches in clear simple language. They had companied him to the Mount of Olives, and he was taken up from them visibly. The angels stated that this same Jesus would return in the same manner as they had seen him go. He had substance and they saw him go. When you speak of “human form”, this is part of JW terminology and teaching. Jesus was born a human, he lived say 33 years, was crucified and died. He lay in the tomb for 3 days and then he was resurrected and his mortal body was changed to an immortal body, a spiritual body, and I believe still visible and substance, with the body that was in the tomb changed not replaced. So in appearance, a human form, but now a spiritual body Acts 2:25-28.

The following also gives some indication of how Peter understood these words by the angels:
Acts 3:19-21 (KJV): 19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
Acts 3:19-21 (NWT 2013): 19 “Repent, therefore, and turn around so as to get your sins blotted out, so that seasons of refreshing may come from Jehovah himself 20 and he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus. 21 Heaven must hold this one within itself until the times of restoration of all things of which God spoke through the mouth of his holy prophets of old.
He speaks of the future time when Jesus will return from heaven. I would also like to add Zechariah 14:4 which indicates that in the future Jesus will stand upon the Mount of Olives and this appears to be a strong link with Acts 1:9-11.

Firstly, no where in scripture does it state that Jesus spiritual body comes back with the appearance of his previous human form. I've been trying to think of a passage or scripture that might lead you to such a thought but have been unable to do so, although I'm sure if there is one I'll know about it in your next post to me.

Since your whole premise relies on Jesus, as a spiritual person, returning visibly with the appearance of his human body, but not being human, I ask you to provide the scripture(s) that you believe show this before we continue. I think you can appreciate that since scripture states Jesus is the "exact representation" and "Image" of God (Hebrews 1:3, Col 1:15) and that God is invisible (Col 1:15, 1 Tim 1:17) that Jesus too is invisible. If this is the case, then I think you'd firstly need to establish "Jesus visible spirit nature", which is contrary to scripture (as far as we've established), prior tackling the issue of whether his return be visible or not. If it can be proven that Jesus is in fact invisible, as the scripture appear to clearly outline, with no apparent scriptural backing that he is visible, then the whole argument as to whether he returns visibly is lost in my eyes.

You said "So in appearance, a human form, but now a spiritual body Acts 2:25-28" , do you see acts 2:25-28 as showing Jesus has the appearance of a human form, but a spiritual body, if so, do you care to explain exactly how it shows this.

TrevorL

Greetings again NWL,
Firstly, no where in scripture does it state that Jesus spiritual body comes back with the appearance of his previous human form. I've been trying to think of a passage or scripture that might lead you to such a thought but have been unable to do so, although I'm sure if there is one I'll know about it in your next post to me.
When Lazarus was raised from the dead, it was Lazarus. When Jesus was raised from the dead it was Jesus. When the faithful are raised from the dead it will be the faithful. I cannot see any reason to speculate that we will not be able to identify each individual from what we have known of them in the past. There is certainly mention of a renewing, and I imagine we may look younger because of this process. The major difference seems to be is that the JWs believe that those resurrected are invisible. I cannot see any evidence of this. I take the transfiguration of Jesus to be some indication of what Jesus now looks like in immortality. I also believe that Jesus is able to subdue his glory, in the same way as the angels when they appeared were at first thought to be men.

As in the transfiguration, the bodies of the faithful will also be glorious. The following speaks of transformation not of replacement:
Philippians 3:20-21 (KJV): 20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
Philippians 3:20-21 (NWT 2013): 20 But our citizenship exists in the heavens, and we are eagerly waiting for a savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our humble body to be like his glorious body by his great power that enables him to subject all things to himself.

Since your whole premise relies on Jesus, as a spiritual person, returning visibly with the appearance of his human body, but not being human, I ask you to provide the scripture(s) that you believe show this before we continue. I think you can appreciate that since scripture states Jesus is the "exact representation" and "Image" of God (Hebrews 1:3, Col 1:15) and that God is invisible (Col 1:15, 1 Tim 1:17) that Jesus too is invisible. If this is the case, then I think you'd firstly need to establish "Jesus visible spirit nature", which is contrary to scripture (as far as we've established), prior tackling the issue of whether his return be visible or not. If it can be proven that Jesus is in fact invisible, as the scripture appear to clearly outline, with no apparent scriptural backing that he is visible, then the whole argument as to whether he returns visibly is lost in my eyes.
My premise is based on the simple clear reading of Acts 1:9-11, so you are diverting from that scripture. I do not believe that God the Father is invisible. He dwells in glory, remote from us, while Jesus has been revealed before and after his crucifixion, and Paul saw Jesus in glory on the road to Damascus. I disagree with your use of the word “human” in the above. In my understanding Jesus is still a man, and thus human. He is a glorified human being. He is still a man:
1 Timothy 2:5 (KJV): For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
1 Timothy 2:5 (NWT 2013): For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus,

You said "So in appearance, a human form, but now a spiritual body Acts 2:25-28" , do you see acts 2:25-28 as showing Jesus has the appearance of a human form, but a spiritual body, if so, do you care to explain exactly how it shows this.
My explanation in my previous post #64 adds up to this conclusion, while the JWs usually teach that the body of Jesus was not raised, but somehow preserved as if this is the meaning of to not “see corruption”. It is the JWs in my opinion who have introduced an extraneous idea here. 1 Corinthians 15:51-52 also uses the word changed for those who are alive at Christ's coming, again not replaced.

Kind regards
Trevor

NWL

Greetings again NWL, When Lazarus was raised from the dead, it was Lazarus. When Jesus was raised from the dead it was Jesus. When the faithful are raised from the dead it will be the faithful. I cannot see any reason to speculate that we will not be able to identify each individual from what we have known of them in the past. There is certainly mention of a renewing, and I imagine we may look younger because of this process. The major difference seems to be is that the JWs believe that those resurrected are invisible. I cannot see any evidence of this. I take the transfiguration of Jesus to be some indication of what Jesus now looks like in immortality. I also believe that Jesus is able to subdue his glory, in the same way as the angels when they appeared were at first thought to be men.

As in the transfiguration, the bodies of the faithful will also be glorious. The following speaks of transformation not of replacement:
Philippians 3:20-21 (KJV): 20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
Philippians 3:20-21 (NWT 2013): 20 But our citizenship exists in the heavens, and we are eagerly waiting for a savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our humble body to be like his glorious body by his great power that enables him to subject all things to himself.

My premise is based on the simple clear reading of Acts 1:9-11, so you are diverting from that scripture. I do not believe that God the Father is invisible. He dwells in glory, remote from us, while Jesus has been revealed before and after his crucifixion, and Paul saw Jesus in glory on the road to Damascus. I disagree with your use of the word “human” in the above. In my understanding Jesus is still a man, and thus human. He is a glorified human being. He is still a man:
1 Timothy 2:5 (KJV): For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
1 Timothy 2:5 (NWT 2013): For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus,

My explanation in my previous post #64 adds up to this conclusion, while the JWs usually teach that the body of Jesus was not raised, but somehow preserved as if this is the meaning of to not “see corruption”. It is the JWs in my opinion who have introduced an extraneous idea here. 1 Corinthians 15:51-52 also uses the word changed for those who are alive at Christ's coming, again not replaced.

Kind regards
Trevor

Before I reply back to this could you clear up three things so I can better understand your position.

I know you've stated Jesus is a spirit but do you believe Jesus has a body of flesh in heaven "as a man" because of 1 Timothy 2:5?

Do you disagree that the Father is invisible as outlined in 1 Tim 1:17 and Col 1:15? What does invisible mean to you?

Is Jesus the "exact representation of his [Gods] very being" and the very "image" of the Father? (Hebrews 1:3, Col 1:15)

Last edited:

TrevorL

Greetings again NWL,
Before I reply back to this could you clear up three things so I can better understand your position.
I know you've stated Jesus is a spirit but do you believe Jesus has a body of flesh in heaven "as a man" because of 1 Timothy 2:5?
I suggest that your view of “a spirit” is different to my view. I believe that Jesus is a spirit in the sense that he has a spiritual body, a body that is sustained by the Spirit of God, no longer requiring food, water and air and operating on blood to exist. This spiritual body is the same body that Jesus possessed during his mortal existence, but it has been restored and raised from the death state, then changed from mortality to immortality, but having much of the semblance of his original body. It is ambiguous to call this changed body “a body of flesh”, but it is a spiritual body with substance and still identified by Paul as a man in 1 Timothy 2:5, the man Christ Jesus.
Do you disagree that the Father is invisible as outlined in 1 Tim 1:17 and Col 1:15? What does invisible mean to you?
Adam and Eve were made in the image and likeness of God. Were they created invisible? Jesus fulfills the role for which Adam and Eve were created but failed. Jesus was in the moral image of the glory of God during his ministry John 1:14, and he is now fully in the moral and physical image and likeness of God.
Is Jesus the "exact representation of his [Gods] very being" and the very "image" of the Father? (Hebrews 1:3, Col 1:15)
Yes, to the extent that this is meant by this expression. Jesus is the full moral and physical glory of the Father. I do not believe that God the Father is invisible in the sense that he has no substance or matter. He is a glorious substantial being, and Jesus in the body of a glorified man sits at his right hand in heaven. We have not been given a full description of what God looks like, but to me the word invisible in relation to God, does not convey the concept of having no substance. Rather God has not been directly revealed, and man in his sinfulness and mortality cannot directly look upon God. When we are immortal we may be privileged to see God Matthew 5:8, as the angels who stand in God's presence can see God now.

Kind regards
Trevor

KingdomRose

There is only one word necessary to speak to a JW and that is repent. Anything further is sin. See my signature.

What do you say to a JW after he tells you that he HAS repented?

Surely you say SOMETHING, because the Bible tells us to give people the reason for your hope. (I Peter 3:15)

KingdomRose

I mentioned to a JW on another thread, that I agreed with the JWs on some of their teachings, but that I disagreed with quite a few of their other teachings. I hope to present some of these differences in this thread, and I hope we can take this steadily, without jumping to every topic at once. Possibly as each topic is reasonably covered we can either agree, or disagree, but our respective positions will be reasonably covered. I hope to learn from this interaction.

Acts 1:9-11 (KJV): 9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. 10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
Acts 1:9-11 (NWT 2013): 9 After he had said these things, while they were looking on, he was lifted up and a cloud caught him up from their sight. 10 And as they were gazing into the sky while he was on his way, suddenly two men in white garments stood beside them 11 and said: “Men of Galʹi·lee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus who was taken up from you into the sky will come in the same manner as you have seen him going into the sky.”

My understanding of the above is that Jesus is to return to the earth in a similar way to that mentioned above, literally, visibly and as a result Jesus will be actually upon the earth, and no longer in heaven. I also believe that the return of Jesus is still future and when this occurs it will result in the overthrow of the kingdoms of men and be the start of the establishment of the Kingdom of God upon earth that will last for 1000 years.

My assessment of the JW position is that Jesus will not literally return to the earth. I will let them explain their position, but it could be that Jesus returned invisibly in 1914, but is still in heaven. There may be other reasons why they claim that he will not literally return or that it is not possible for Jesus to return to the earth.

Kind regards
Trevor

First of all, if we really look at those verses you quoted, Jesus was caught up from their sight by a cloud so that they could no longer see him. That clearly shows to me that he will not return visibly. In fact, he said that "the world will see me no more," that is, visibly. (John 14:19) How the world "sees" him is with eyes of understanding. (See Matthew 16:9)

He began his Kingship in 1914, though not taking over control of the world as yet. This will happen when he comes back at Armageddon. He "returns" in the sense that he is carrying out a special and particular thing that affects the earth. He doesn't need to be literally here on the earth to do what he needs to do. After all, he said he would be "with" his followers from the time he went back to heaven, up to now. Yet he is IN HEAVEN. (Matt.28:20) He now resides in "unapproachable light," a glorious spirit person in the spirit realm with his Father, who is a Spirit (I Timothy 6:16; John 4:24) He is too magnificent now to return literally to earth. He would blind anybody who looked at him, like Moses practically did when he came down from Mt. Sinai with his face glowing.

TrevorL

Greetings again KingdomRose,
First of all, if we really look at those verses you quoted, Jesus was caught up from their sight by a cloud so that they could no longer see him. That clearly shows to me that he will not return visibly. In fact, he said that "the world will see me no more," that is, visibly. (John 14:19) How the world "sees" him is with eyes of understanding. (See Matthew 16:9)
The reversal of the Acts 1:9-11 experience would be that he (this same Jesus KJV, or this Jesus NWT) returns, initially obscured in clouds, and then witnessed to descend from the clouds (in the same manner KJV,NWT), possibly onto the Mount of Olives as Zechariah 14:4 suggests. He will thus be visible when he returns to the earth. The “world” is not talking of the physical world, but the Jewish world, the Jewish order of things, the Jewish world hated him John 17:13-18. Jesus had enacted his departure from the Jewish world in John 12:35-36 after his last words to them at the conclusion of his public ministry.
He began his Kingship in 1914, though not taking over control of the world as yet. This will happen when he comes back at Armageddon. He "returns" in the sense that he is carrying out a special and particular thing that affects the earth. He doesn't need to be literally here on the earth to do what he needs to do. After all, he said he would be "with" his followers from the time he went back to heaven, up to now. Yet he is IN HEAVEN. (Matt.28:20) He now resides in "unapproachable light," a glorious spirit person in the spirit realm with his Father, who is a Spirit (I Timothy 6:16; John 4:24) He is too magnificent now to return literally to earth. He would blind anybody who looked at him, like Moses practically did when he came down from Mt. Sinai with his face glowing.
Acts 3:19-21 teaches that he will no longer be in heaven. I believe that Jesus will be able to subdue his physical glory when necessary as did the angels when they appeared as “men”. When Jesus ascended he did not reveal the fullness of his glory, and the Apostles were not blinded. When he returns he will not blind those who observe his return (in same manner Acts 1:11).

Kind regards
Trevor

Truster

What do you say to a JW after he tells you that he HAS repented?

Surely you say SOMETHING, because the Bible tells us to give people the reason for your hope. (I Peter 3:15)

If anyone is converted then they are repentant. They will leave whatever denomination or cult they belong to.

"Therefore produce fruit worthy of repentance." Matthew 3:8​

NWL

The bibles teachings of Jesus and his risen state proves that he will not visibly return at his coming. We know Jesus does not have the same body that he had on earth since it was his body that he sacrificed and sacrifices demand something to be lost, it is the very meaning of the word and is irrefutable.

Jesus gave both his blood and body on mankind’s behalf as a ransom, he sacrificed those things. If he sacrificed them then they are gone and are unable to be taken back without nullifying that sacrifice.

(Hebrews 10:10) ”..By this “will” we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time..”

(Luke 22:19, 20) “..Also, he took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them, saying: “This means my body, which is to be given in your behalf. Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” 20 Also, he did the same with the cup after they had the evening meal, saying: “This cup means the new covenant by virtue of my blood, which is to be poured out in your behalf..”

If one of your family members was in huge debt and you decided to pay that debt off on their behalf, sacrificing your money so that they could be debt free, if after going to the debtor and handing over the money and making your family member “officially debt free” you asked for that money back, has the debt been paid and have you lost out on any money? No, you’ve in effect sacrificed nothing as you still have the very thing you said you were giving up and moreover the debt is still outstanding.

Likewise Jesus stated he was sacrificing his body and blood on behalf of mankind’s sins. If Jesus gave his body, was dead for three days, but then proceeded to take it back, then he has in effect lost and sacrificed nothing, he still retains the flesh he had prior to the sacrifice. Has the debt been paid? No because he took back the thing that was meant to pay for our sins the same way the money in my analogy was meant to pay for the debt, at no point could you ask for the money back without the debt becoming outstanding again.

Again, the meaning of sacrifice in both Greek and English demand the same thing, for something to be lost, forfeited and given on behalf of something. You won't find a single example in the Bible where something is a sacrifice and the thing that is sacrificed is NOT lost.

Taking these things into account it was impossible for Jesus to be raised having the same body he forfeited without him nullifying the ransom. This Jesus must have been raised in a spiritual body with that spiritual body being something different in essence to his fleshly one. Since the bible teaches Jesus was not flesh prior coming to earth it would make sense he took that same type of non-flesh form that he had previously, I will touch on this later.

Simply taking the ransom into account it is impossible for Jesus return to be visibly in a human form since it was his human nature that he forfeited in exchange for mankind.

Greetings again NWL, I suggest that your view of “a spirit” is different to my view. I believe that Jesus is a spirit in the sense that he has a spiritual body, a body that is sustained by the Spirit of God, no longer requiring food, water and air and operating on blood to exist. This spiritual body is the same body that Jesus possessed during his mortal existence, but it has been restored and raised from the death state, then changed from mortality to immortality, but having much of the semblance of his original body. It is ambiguous to call this changed body “a body of flesh”, but it is a spiritual body with substance and still identified by Paul as a man in 1 Timothy 2:5, the man Christ Jesus.

Your understanding of a spiritual is not found in scripture. In 1 Cor 15:44 for instance it makes a clear difference between the "physical body" (Greek word def: tangible)and a "spiritual body". If the spiritual body was also "physical" then it makes no sense for the writer to make the comparison between physical bodies and spiritual bodies if in essence they are the same thing apart from the latter being immortal, an immortal spiritual body that is physical is still physical according to you.

Also, it is my understanding that the reference of Jesus being a "man" in 1 Tim 2:5 is speaking of Jesus in the past tense. 1 Tim 2:5 was written after Jesus ascension, just like the bible writers called Jesus "a man" when speaking of him on earth the writer of 1 tim 2:5 was also talking of Jesus in this sense. This is apparent from the context, "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all". As you can see it spoke as Jesus being a man who then gave himself as a ransom, the verse it not talking about the Jesus as being a "Man" in his risen state.

Adam and Eve were made in the image and likeness of God. Were they created invisible? Jesus fulfills the role for which Adam and Eve were created but failed. Jesus was in the moral image of the glory of God during his ministry John 1:14, and he is now fully in the moral and physical image and likeness of God.

Adam and Eve being in the likeness of God is in reference to possessing the same attributes as God, the thing that separated us from the animals in the creation account, it was not talking about physical appearance or body make up. Remember Phil 2:5,6 states that Jesus was existing in the same form of God, scripture states "God is a Spirit" (John 4:24), Jesus after emptying himself "took a slave’s form and became human" (Phil 2:7). Note that Jesus prior coming to earth was not in appearance and form of a human/slave. John 1:14 states the same thing saying that Jesus "became flesh" when coming to earth expressing that he was NOT flesh prior to becoming flesh.

I see you asked in reference to Adam and Eve "where they created invisible?" as a rhetorical question as part of your reasoning that God is not invisible. Again, the reason why they were not invisible was because they were "images of God" in a different sense to Jesus. You can't have two opposing statements that are both true, once you note a contradiction in scripture it means that part of your reasoning or understanding is not sound somewhere. The scriptures plainly state God is "invisible" not defining what that means other than what it could be understood as upon face value. Thus, we must understand the text to mean God is literally invisible in his natural state. If your understanding is that Adam and eve were literal images of God but they of course weren't invisible then it should be a clear indicator that something with your interpretation is incorrect and needs further thought since again, you cannot have two opposing statements that are both correct. Since being "an image of God" can be understood in a different way, but God having an attribute of being "invisible" cannot, it should be clear as to which understanding is out of touch.

Yes, to the extent that this is meant by this expression. Jesus is the full moral and physical glory of the Father. I do not believe that God the Father is invisible in the sense that he has no substance or matter. He is a glorious substantial being, and Jesus in the body of a glorified man sits at his right hand in heaven. We have not been given a full description of what God looks like, but to me the word invisible in relation to God, does not convey the concept of having no substance. Rather God has not been directly revealed, and man in his sinfulness and mortality cannot directly look upon God. When we are immortal we may be privileged to see God Matthew 5:8, as the angels who stand in God's presence can see God now.

The extent to which Jesus is like God goes as far as Jesus being exactly the same thing God is, since that is literally what the verse states, that Jesus is "the exact representation of his very being", thus if God is invisible then Jesus too is invisible, if Jesus is not invisible then he can't be "the exact representation of his very being". Would you agree with this basic logic? If your answer is a no then I'l have to ask you how is it possible to be the exact image/representation of something and yet not be the exact image/representation of that person at the same time?

Since the Bible does not further define what it means for God to be called invisible are you stating that the scriptures are incorrect when it states God is invisible when compared to the everyday definition of the word?

What does being invisible mean to you?

TrevorL

Greetings again NWL,
The bibles teachings of Jesus and his risen state proves that he will not visibly return at his coming.
I appreciate your response. It is late Saturday night here in Australia and I will be busy tomorrow. I have a few thoughts on your statements concerning sacrifice, but it may take an extra day or more to present this in a way that is satisfactory, even to my own way of thinking. I do suggest that your bold statement above and reasoning on sacrifice has in effect nullified the clear teaching of Acts 1:11, "this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven". In other words, reasoning should not override clear, simple basic verses such as this. It is a foundation verse.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

Greetings again NWL, (Part 1 of 3)
The bibles teachings of Jesus and his risen state proves that he will not visibly return at his coming. We know Jesus does not have the same body that he had on earth since it was his body that he sacrificed and sacrifices demand something to be lost, it is the very meaning of the word and is irrefutable.

Jesus gave both his blood and body on mankind’s behalf as a ransom, he sacrificed those things. If he sacrificed them then they are gone and are unable to be taken back without nullifying that sacrifice.

Taking these things into account it was impossible for Jesus to be raised having the same body he forfeited without him nullifying the ransom. This Jesus must have been raised in a spiritual body with that spiritual body being something different in essence to his fleshly one. Since the bible teaches Jesus was not flesh prior coming to earth it would make sense he took that same type of non-flesh form that he had previously, I will touch on this later.

Simply taking the ransom into account it is impossible for Jesus return to be visibly in a human form since it was his human nature that he forfeited in exchange for mankind.
I have also touched on the “form” of Jesus later. Firstly we should not use our logic to override both the narrative and what Peter preached on the Day of Pentecost. Regarding the narrative, there was the resurrection of Lazarus, and the details seem to be a precursor to the resurrection of Jesus. Jesus’ tomb was empty, the grave clothes were folded, he appeared to Mary, then to Peter and the Apostles, and then he showed his wounds to Thomas, all indications that he was in the same body that was crucified, but now risen. Then Peter quoted Psalm 16 to say his soul or being would not be left in the grave and his body would not see corruption. There is no indication that it was not the same body, the same body that was now risen from the dead. There is no hint that the body of Jesus was separately preserved, an attempt to explain the clear teaching that his flesh would not see corruption. The JW suggestion on this is a clever work-around, but not relevant or taught. Unlike Lazarus, who had started to seriously decompose by the 4th day, together with Martha’s comment to emphasise the fact, and the fact that David did corrupt and his tomb was there in Jerusalem, Jesus’s flesh would not corrupt. But it says more than this, it identifies him still as God’s Holy One who would not see corruption. He was holy because he had not sinned and he was united with God in dedication and righteousness. Thus God’s Holy One in this very body of flesh would reverse the sentence in Eden Genesis 3:19 and be raised from the dead and granted immortality, elevated to sit at God’s right hand, as Psalm 16 and 110 teach.

Concerning giving his blood and body as a ransom, please consider that he also gave his life and himself as a ransom, and yet regained “life” and regained his identity, “himself”, as he was made alive again.
Matthew 20:28 (KJV): Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
1 Timothy 2:6 (KJV): Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

There is a danger of taking a word with a range of meaning in a context and demanding a wider or particular meaning which is not of necessity supported in the immediate context or in the historical facts.

Again, the meaning of sacrifice in both Greek and English demand the same thing, for something to be lost, forfeited and given on behalf of something. You won't find a single example in the Bible where something is a sacrifice and the thing that is sacrificed is NOT lost.
The word sacrifice must be considered in the context of Scripture. There were the sin, trespass, burnt and peace offerings using sacrifices, and all of these pointed forward to Jesus. To simply use the word sacrifice in the common sense and use this as a basis to then claim that Jesus’ body must remain dead and preserved is not Scriptural. Because of his love for His Father and the world, Jesus sacrificed his own will, and gave himself fully to do God’s will, even unto the death on the tree. He is also the Passover Lamb but this Lamb in symbol at least, reappears after the sacrifice in both a sacrificial appearance and glory Revelation 5:6, 14:1.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

Greetings again NWL, (Part 2 of 3)
Your understanding of a spiritual is not found in scripture. In 1 Cor 15:44 for instance it makes a clear difference between the "physical body" (Greek word def: tangible) and a "spiritual body". If the spiritual body was also "physical" then it makes no sense for the writer to make the comparison between physical bodies and spiritual bodies if in essence they are the same thing apart from the latter being immortal, an immortal spiritual body that is physical is still physical according to you.
Defining the word as physical or tangible is not what Paul is stating. He is speaking of a natural (KJV) body and a spiritual body. The natural body is a direct allusion and quotation of Genesis 2:7 which uses the word soul, man became a living soul. The natural body is to be changed to a spiritual body, not replaced.

Also, it is my understanding that the reference of Jesus being a "man" in 1 Tim 2:5 is speaking of Jesus in the past tense. 1 Tim 2:5 was written after Jesus ascension, just like the bible writers called Jesus "a man" when speaking of him on earth the writer of 1 tim 2:5 was also talking of Jesus in this sense. This is apparent from the context, "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all". As you can see it spoke as Jesus being a man who then gave himself as a ransom, the verse it not talking about the Jesus as being a "Man" in his risen state.
I take it as being now as a mediator. A mediator represents God to the people, and he can do this because he is the Son of God, and he represents the people to God, because he is a man. These two aspects are also similar to Jesus as the High Priest, representing God to men and men to God. He has to be a man and the Son of God.

Adam and Eve being in the likeness of God is in reference to possessing the same attributes as God, the thing that separated us from the animals in the creation account, it was not talking about physical appearance or body make up. Remember Phil 2:5,6 states that Jesus was existing in the same form of God, scripture states "God is a Spirit" (John 4:24), Jesus after emptying himself "took a slave’s form and became human" (Phil 2:7). Note that Jesus prior coming to earth was not in appearance and form of a human/slave. John 1:14 states the same thing saying that Jesus "became flesh" when coming to earth expressing that he was NOT flesh prior to becoming flesh.
I do not believe that Philippians 2 is speaking of Jesus before he was born and similarly John 1. In Philippians 2, I believe it is speaking of his disposition of mind before and during his ministry. The form of God is an allusion to Genesis 1:26 and the events in the garden when Adam and Eve grasped at equality with God. Jesus was born in the image and likeness (hence form) of God, but did not grasp at equality, but humbled himself as a servant, (the form of a servant, same word form), becoming obedient unto death.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

Greetings again NWL, (Part 3 of 3)
I see you asked in reference to Adam and Eve "were they created invisible?" as a rhetorical question as part of your reasoning that God is not invisible. Again, the reason why they were not invisible was because they were "images of God" in a different sense to Jesus. You can't have two opposing statements that are both true, once you note a contradiction in scripture it means that part of your reasoning or understanding is not sound somewhere. The scriptures plainly state God is "invisible" not defining what that means other than what it could be understood as upon face value. Thus, we must understand the text to mean God is literally invisible in his natural state. If your understanding is that Adam and eve were literal images of God but they of course weren't invisible then it should be a clear indicator that something with your interpretation is incorrect and needs further thought since again, you cannot have two opposing statements that are both correct. Since being "an image of God" can be understood in a different way, but God having an attribute of being "invisible" cannot, it should be clear as to which understanding is out of touch.
I believe that the theme in the image and likeness of God commences in Genesis 1:26 and continues throughout Scripture and finds its ultimate fulfilment in Jesus. Now that Jesus is glorified he fulfils this in a greater degree, but it is not in a different sense.

The extent to which Jesus is like God goes as far as Jesus being exactly the same thing God is, since that is literally what the verse states, that Jesus is "the exact representation of his very being", thus if God is invisible then Jesus too is invisible, if Jesus is not invisible then he can't be "the exact representation of his very being". Would you agree with this basic logic? If your answer is a no then I'l have to ask you how is it possible to be the exact image/representation of something and yet not be the exact image/representation of that person at the same time?
Perhaps an incomplete answer, but God the Father is greater than our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

Since the Bible does not further define what it means for God to be called invisible are you stating that the scriptures are incorrect when it states God is invisible when compared to the everyday definition of the word? What does being invisible mean to you?
The literal translation of the word from the NT is “not seen” or “unseen”. A normal dictionary for the word invisible gives: “Not capable of being seen, on account of remoteness, lack of size, external conditions, insubstantiality etc.” You seem to be latching onto this last meaning. The Scriptures teach that the Angels now see God and the glorified faithful will see God. Moses saw part of God’s glory, and this was not indicating that God is invisible in the sense that you are suggesting. He was told in Exodus 33:20 that Moses was not allowed to see His face, and if he did he would die. Jesus in glory was not invisible to Paul on the road to Damascus, as Jesus exceeded the glory of the midday sun. The Apostles also saw the transfiguration, which was a foretaste of Jesus in glory 2 Peter 1:16, and this reference indicates that Jesus will return to the earth in glory, not invisibly.

Kind regards
Trevor

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever
[MENTION=13959]meshak[/MENTION] ... Welcome Back