Israel (the modern country)

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not in the slightest.
You think it's not the same? Are you saying you know for sure this was or wasn't a surprise? Do you know for sure if Hamas is cutting off baby's heads or not? Are you sure you know if, on net, Israel oppressing the Palestinians or working with them to relieve their poverty?

There are a great number of things we don't know one way or the other, which would dictate how we should react. Both theaters have this identical problem.

One thing is for sure, our involvement in Ukrainian politics, particularly before the war, has made things worse. And we haven't made things better involving ourselves in middle eastern politics, either. Both are the same.

That being said, I do understand that if the Palestinians were to stop fighting, there would be peace, and if the Israelis stopped fighting there would be violence until the muslims pushed them into the sea. But that doesn't mean we can make things better by getting involved in another middle eastern war, especially since all the wars we've gotten ourselves into over there have made things worse.

Gary K

Banned
You think it's not the same? Are you saying you know for sure this was or wasn't a surprise? Do you know for sure if Hamas is cutting off baby's heads or not? Are you sure you know if, on net, Israel oppressing the Palestinians or working with them to relieve their poverty?

There are a great number of things we don't know one way or the other, which would dictate how we should react. Both theaters have this identical problem.

One thing is for sure, our involvement in Ukrainian politics, particularly before the war, has made things worse. And we haven't made things better involving ourselves in middle eastern politics, either. Both are the same.

That being said, I do understand that if the Palestinians were to stop fighting, there would be peace, and if the Israelis stopped fighting there would be violence until the muslims pushed them into the sea. But that doesn't mean we can make things better by getting involved in another middle eastern war, especially since all the wars we've gotten ourselves into over there have made things worse.
Not only worse but much worse. Between us and the duplicity by the Brits the Middle East is basically a full time war. Every time we interfere it creates more solidarity between Arab nations and now between Arabs and Muslims. Lindsay Graham and the majority of Republican politicians want to get us into a nuclear war with Iran as for some reason they think it would be a simple matter to go bomb Iran into dust.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not only worse but much worse. Between us and the duplicity by the Brits the Middle East is basically a full time war. Every time we interfere it creates more solidarity between Arab nations and now between Arabs and Muslims. Lindsay Graham and the majority of Republican politicians want to get us into a nuclear war with Iran as for some reason they think it would be a simple matter to go bomb Iran into dust.
While true, and although I'm loathe to defend a horrible leader like Trump, he fought the Democrats and most of the Republicans in an effort to de-escalate in the middle east. It's not because he had any principles against war and killing, but a number of other reasons.

The point being, don't forget to mention the almost complete support of war/murder/slavery by the democrats (at all times and all places) when you name republicans that want to get us into a nuclear war.

Gary K

Banned
While true, and although I'm loathe to defend a horrible leader like Trump, he fought the Democrats and most of the Republicans in an effort to de-escalate in the middle east. It's not because he had any principles against war and killing, but a number of other reasons.

The point being, don't forget to mention the almost complete support of war/murder/slavery by the democrats (at all times and all places) when you name republicans that want to get us into a nuclear war.
Why would I forget that? I also remember that Trump is hated because he said we needed to talk to the Russians. The best that can be said for Trump is that he is a leader. He's not someone to be led around by the nose by polls. However, I have never trusted him since he gave the OK to "warp speed" vaccine development.

Jasmine

I think it is different because the holocaust and world war two and our shared Judeo-Christian cultures create a unique close bond between us and Israel that can never exist with the Ukraine. Israel holds a special place in our hearts, our history, and our faith that the Ukraine does not.

Thats one reason. More to come . . .

way 2 go

.https://www.coffeeandcovid.com/p/jilted-friday-october-13-2023-c-and?utm_source=profile&utm_medium=reader2

The Wall Street Journal ran an intriguing story yesterday headlined, “Hamas Militants Had Detailed Maps of Israeli Towns, Military Bases and Infiltration Routes.” The sub-headline added, “Documents found on Hamas militants show scale of planning behind deadly attack.”

image 12.png

Nothing like this has ever happened before. Michael Milshtein, a former Israeli military intelligence officer and head of Palestinian Studies Forum at Tel Aviv University, confirmed “There is nothing close to this level of planning in any steps Hamas had done in the past.”

The newly-discovered plans suggest more sophisticated actors must have been involved. One 14-page document described in the article was labeled “top secret” in Arabic and dated June 15, 2023. It described a detailed plan for infiltrating Mefalsim, one of the small collective communities near Gaza (called a kibbutz), and taking its residents hostage. The document included maps and aerial pictures of the town, and disclosed intel that the kibbutz held 1,000 “civilians” guarded by a volunteer security force.

It is increasingly difficult to imagine that Hamas coordinate the attack by itself.