Is marital rape scripturally defensible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genuineoriginal

A covenant cannot be broken no matter what.
Covenants can be broken.

Deuteronomy 31:16
16 And the Lord said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.​

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Something that has no name?
Is it something you at least condemn, even if you also condemn a woman saying no in the first place?

again, in a Christian marriage, that is between the husband and the wife and God

not the secular authorities

not anna or rusha or bybee

genuineoriginal

Something that has no name?
Is it something you at least condemn, even if you also condemn a woman saying no in the first place?
Maybe you can explain why I would need to condemn either of those, since neither is a sin?

Isn't it the married couple's business how they handle their sex life?

It definitely is not the business of the police department and the criminal courts nor is it the business of the tattlers and busybodies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Maybe you can explain why I would need to condemn either of those, since neither is a sin?

It definitely is not the business of the police department and the criminal courts nor is it the business of the tattlers and busybodies.

What about physical abuse?

genuineoriginal

again, in a Christian marriage, that is between the husband and the wife and God

It definitely is not the business of the police department and the criminal courts
not the secular authorities

nor is it the business of the tattlers and busybodies.
not anna or rusha or bybee

Looks like we are saying the same thing.

Arthur Brain

If someone is being abused behind closed doors then it becomes the business of the police. A husband forcing sex on his wife is flat out rape your whacko opinions notwithstanding.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What else is only between them and God? Is physical abuse?

Eh, apparently if the physical abuse and adultery (and worse actions) are committed by a Christian husband or against someone he despises, it doesn't count.

bybee

Looks like we are saying the same thing.

Spend some time in an Emergency Room and see the women who are beaten to a pulp by their husbands. Broken bones, internal injuries, lacerations, burns. Some men are so enraged when their wives become pregnant that they deliberately punch them in the stomach to induce a miscarriage. Some husbands keep their wives pregnant even going so far as to climb into their hospital beds immediately after delivery and forcing sex on them.
Oh yes, these things happen and more.

genuineoriginal

What about physical abuse?
I can find nothing in the Bible that commends or condemns physical abuse between spouses.

What I believe, based on Exodus 21:26-27, is that any physical abuse that ends with a physical injury like a tooth being knocked out, an eye put out, a bone that needs to be set with a cast, or a wound that needs stitches, becomes sufficient grounds for a divorce, regardless of which spouse did it.

That said, it would be very difficult to find any marriage that does not have one or most likely both of the spouses rebelling against their marriage before any physical abuse takes place.

In those cases, the only duty of the police and criminal courts is to aid the couple in either reconciling or swiftly dissolving the marriage.

Criminal charges should only be brought on the surviving spouse if the physical abuse results in death (including brain death).

genuineoriginal

Spend some time in an Emergency Room and see the women who are beaten to a pulp by their husbands. Broken bones, internal injuries, lacerations, burns. Some men are so enraged when their wives become pregnant that they deliberately punch them in the stomach to induce a miscarriage. Some husbands keep their wives pregnant even going so far as to climb into their hospital beds immediately after delivery and forcing sex on them.
Oh yes, these things happen and more.
Yes and the courts should be involved in dissolving those marriages.

genuineoriginal

A husband forcing sex on his wife is flat out rape your whacko opinions notwithstanding.

When he ended up falling asleep on her bed, she changed into pajamas and climbed in next to him. Soon, he was putting his arm around her and taking off her clothes. ‘I basically said, “No, I don’t want to have sex with you.” And then he said, “OK, that’s fine” and stopped. . . . And then he started again a few minutes later, taking off my panties, taking off his boxers. I just kind of laid there and didn’t do anything — I had already said no. I was just tired and wanted to go to bed. I let him finish. I pulled my panties back on and went to sleep.’”

Six weeks later, the woman reported that she had been raped.

If the wife reports she had been raped and gives this story, should anyone listen to her.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I can find nothing in the Bible that commends or condemns physical abuse between spouses.

What I believe, based on Exodus 21:26-27, is that any physical abuse that ends with a physical injury like a tooth being knocked out, an eye put out, a bone that needs to be set with a cast, or a wound that needs stitches, becomes sufficient grounds for a divorce, regardless of which spouse did it.

That said, it would be very difficult to find any marriage that does not have one or most likely both of the spouses rebelling against their marriage before any physical abuse takes place.

In those cases, the only duty of the police and criminal courts is to aid the couple in either reconciling or swiftly dissolving the marriage.

Criminal charges should only be brought on the surviving spouse if the physical abuse results in death (including brain death).

All but the last sentence may make some sense. I tell you any battery between two persons, married or otherwise, is a criminal offense, based on common law, which has its roots in scripture.

genuineoriginal

All but the last sentence may make some sense. I tell you any battery between two persons, married or otherwise, is a criminal offense, based on common law, which has its roots in scripture.
That is a valid point.
Thank you for bringing it up.

My counter is that if one of the spouses chooses to press charges against the other, then the courts should immediately dissolve the marriage at that point, with the final disposition of the divorce to be made based on the outcome of the criminal trial.

A married couple should never be on opposite sides of a criminal trial, especially if one is the defendant and the other is the plaintiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.