IS GOD INFINITE ?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
drop the dating game.....

drop the dating game.....

Your God is not infinite. And will cease to exist in a few years time when he doesn't turn up on October 23rd to prove that you were such a cool adherent.

Funny thing is,...'God' cant show up anywhere, because He is already everywhere.

As an added bonus, NOT EVEN JESUS knows the specific day or hour of his 'coming', only The Father. - those who have named dates for his "appearing" so far, have been proved wrong.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Funny thing is,...'God' cant show up anywhere, because He is already everywhere.

As an added bonus, NOT EVEN JESUS knows the specific day or hour of his 'coming', only The Father. - those who have named dates for his "appearing" so far, have been proved wrong.

Jesus knows now

as a man there might have been some limitations

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
God is all..........

God is all..........

MR. RELIGION said,

Nonsense. You must be confusing the infinite Almighty God

with some god of the Greek pantheon.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Religion, you Obviously do not know your Bible !!

Where in the Bible does it say that God is INFINITE.??????

It only says that his Understanding is Infinite and NOT Him.

Psalms 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power:
his understanding is infinite.
------------------------------------------------------------------

GOD is NOT OMNIPRESENT.
------------------------------------
The Bible implies that God's Spirit is Working in All but Not His Person.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Corinthians 12:6 And there are diversities of operations,

but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

1 Corinthians 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him,

then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him

that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

-------------------------------------
JESUS is NOT OMNIPRESENT.

The Bible implies that JESUS fills all with HIS SPIRIT but is not Omnipresent
----------------------------------------------------------------
Ephesians 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

----------------------------------------------------------------

By way of infinite Spirit, Energy and Consciousness.....'God' is omnipresent. 'God' is infinite in 'presence', before space and time, including all space and time....with and without dimensions.

If you'd like to specify any particular personality or form of 'God' as being limited or defined in 'form', then that may be in a relational sense as that 'form' or 'personality' RELATES and inter-acts with other forms and personalities. Yet these differentials of form and personality are still indwelt, pervaded by and encompassed by the infinity of God, the universality of God-presence and consciousness. All dimensions appear in and spring from the undimensional.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
By way of infinite Spirit, Energy and Consciousness.....'God' is omnipresent. 'God' is infinite in 'presence', before space and time, including all space and time....with and without dimensions.

If you'd like to specify any particular personality or form of 'God' as being limited or defined in 'form', then that may be in a relational sense as that 'form' or 'personality' RELATES and inter-acts with other forms and personalities. Yet these differentials of form and personality are still indwelt, pervaded by and encompassed by the infinity of God, the universality of God-presence and consciousness. All dimensions appear in and spring from the undimensional.

didn't you get the memo?
there is no space
there is no matter
it is just an illusion of a non dual nature
but
it is real

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Jesus knows now

Some might question that, since that assumes that he didn't know at one time, but now does. What proof can you provide that he NOW knows?

as a man there might have been some limitations.

And traditional-orthodox Christian theology still assumes Jesus is fully 'man', even if he is glorified in resurrected form. Could perhaps this Jesus still be limited in some way, but much less than when he was incarnated? ;)

truthjourney

Yes I believe God is infinite.

God is everlasting. Ps. 90:2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, you are God. Isa. 40:28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. Hab. 1:12 LORD, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die....

He is eternal. Gen. 21:33 Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there he called on the name of the LORD, the Eternal God. Ps. 93:2 Your throne was established long ago; you are from all eternity.

No limitations, nothing impossible for God. Gen. 18:14 Is anything too hard for the LORD? I will return to you at the appointed time next year, and Sarah will have a son." Jer. 13:17 "Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you. Matt. 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible. Ps. 147:5 Great is our LORD and mighty in power; his understanding has no limit. Ps. 145:3 Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.

Jeremiah 23:23-24 "Am I a God who is near," declares the LORD, "And not a God far off? "Can a man hide himself in hiding places So I do not see him?" declares the LORD "Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?" declares the LORD. Ps. 139:7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?

Lam. 3:22 The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end;
Job 36:26 How great is God--beyond our understanding! The number of his years is past finding out.
Isa. 40:8 The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever."

1Tim. 1:17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
He is God

you may not have gotten that part

Well,...its a part that has been the subject of church council debates for many centuries,....I don't think they proved it, but rather just all agreed to make it the accepted doctrine of the church-state at the time, making it 'orthodox' by their standards ;)

Lets be reminded again, Jesus said no one knows the exact time of his appearing but the Father. Why or how has that changed?

daqq

Some might question that, since that assumes that he didn't know at one time, but now does. What proof can you provide that he NOW knows?

And traditional-orthodox Christian theology still assumes Jesus is fully 'man', even if he is glorified in resurrected form. Could perhaps this Jesus still be limited in some way, but much less than when he was incarnated? ;)

Well,...its a part that has been the subject of church council debates for many centuries,....I don't think they proved it, but rather just all agreed to make it the accepted doctrine of the church-state at the time, making it 'orthodox' by their standards ;)

Lets be reminded again, Jesus said no one knows the exact time of his appearing but the Father. Why or how has that changed?

:thumb: If the Master says he did not know at that time, but the dogma says he knows it now, then it seems a contradiction has been forced by the dogma:

Matthew 24:35-36
35. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
36. But of that day and hour knoweth no one, not even the angels of heaven, neither the Son, but the Father only.

If we say he knows it now then his former words from this very statement have "passed away" because the dogma says that these words are no longer effectual, (this is also the problem with the historical "one time only fulfillment of Bible prophecy" mentality). And since the above statement is to each in his or her own appointed times, (and none shall be alone in his appointed times) the statement then stands for all time, until time is no more, (each in his or her own appointed times when a "child" becomes a "son" and joint-heir of all things, Galatians 4:1-2).

2 Corinthians 12:2-4
2. I knew an anthropos-man in Messiah from-above fourteen years: whether in the body, not I know, or whether out of the body, not I know, (Elohim knows it!) such a one, [toioutos-character] was harpazo-caught up to the third heaven.
3. ALSO I know an anthropos-man, such a one, [toioutos - separate character id-entity] whether in the body, or apart from the body, not I know, (Elohim knows it!)

4. How that he was harpazo-caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Where Paul herein above writes "God knows" or "God knows it" he appears to be pointing the reader to another place where this occurs in the Scripture, and that is, not only when the Master makes mention of it in the previous Matthew passage quoted above but also the Prophet Zechariah:

Zechariah 14:7
7. But it shall be one day, (YHWH knows it) neither day, nor night: but it shall come to pass that at evening there shall be Light.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
clearing the mud............

clearing the mud............

:thumb: If the Master says he did not know at that time, but the dogma says he knows it now, then it seems a contradiction has been forced by the dogma:

Matthew 24:35-36
35. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
36. But of that day and hour knoweth no one, not even the angels of heaven, neither the Son, but the Father only.

If we say he knows it now then his former words from this very statement have "passed away" because the dogma says that these words are no longer effectual, (this is also the problem with the historical "one time only fulfillment of Bible prophecy" mentality). And since the above statement is to each in his or her own appointed times, (and none shall be alone in his appointed times) the statement then stands for all time, until time is no more, (each in his or her own appointed times when a "child" becomes a "son" and joint-heir of all things, Galatians 4:1-2).

2 Corinthians 12:2-4
2. I knew an anthropos-man in Messiah from-above fourteen years: whether in the body, not I know, or whether out of the body, not I know, (Elohim knows it!) such a one, [toioutos-character] was harpazo-caught up to the third heaven.
3. ALSO I know an anthropos-man, such a one, [toioutos - separate character id-entity] whether in the body, or apart from the body, not I know, (Elohim knows it!)

4. How that he was harpazo-caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Where Paul herein above writes "God knows" or "God knows it" he appears to be pointing the reader to another place where this occurs in the Scripture, and that is, not only when the Master makes mention of it in the previous Matthew passage quoted above but also the Prophet Zechariah:

Zechariah 14:7
7. But it shall be one day, (YHWH knows it) neither day, nor night: but it shall come to pass that at evening there shall be Light.

Bingo. I don't see how any assumption that "Jesus is God" really proves anything really. There is ample evidence that Jesus is not 'God'(proper), but the 'SON' of 'God', although his divinity is supported of course, but by certain qualifications. This is further complicated by the orthodox 'assumption' of his both 'human' and 'divine' natures, which appears to be a necessary 'con-fusion' with the whole mystery of the 'Trinity' anyways. Jesus just happens to get 'stuck' in the mess.

You have heard Me say to you, ‘I am going away and coming back to you.’ If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, ‘I am going to the Father,’ for My Father is greater than I.

- Jesus

Lon

Some people think that God is infinite

and some think that his spirit is everywhere.

and some think that God is a Solid Radiant Being who gives off energy.

What is the plain truth of the Bible. ?:chew:
-------------------------------------------------------
Job 22:5 Is not thy wickedness great? and thine iniquities infinite?

Psalms 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Nahum 3:9 Ethiopia and Egypt were her strength, and it was infinite;
Use a concordance, regardless what version you are using. It makes sense of this quickly. Yes, God is infinite (has no limits).

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
What happens when a limitless, infinite consciousness collides with a limited, finite consciousness?

The answer is to be found in the interpretations of men.

Here on earth, God's work must truly be our own.

glorydaz

Bingo. I don't see how any assumption that "Jesus is God" really proves anything really. There is ample evidence that Jesus is not 'God'(proper), but the 'SON' of 'God', although his divinity is supported of course, but by certain qualifications. This is further complicated by the orthodox 'assumption' of his both 'human' and 'divine' natures, which appears to be a necessary 'con-fusion' with the whole mystery of the 'Trinity' anyways. Jesus just happens to get 'stuck' in the mess.

There is NO SAVIOR but God. Has He hidden Himself from you?
What is Isaiah saying?

Isaiah 43:11
I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no savior.

Isaiah 45:15
Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.

Isaiah 45:21
Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the Lord? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.​

Jesus Christ....the SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD. The Lord our God is ONE LORD.

John 4:42
And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.​

What is Thomas saying here?

John 20:28-29
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.​

Reactions: Lon

glorydaz

What happens when a limitless, infinite consciousness collides with a limited, finite consciousness?

The answer is to be found in the interpretations of men.

Here on earth, God's work must truly be our own.

They don't "collide". The Holy Spirit comes to dwell in us when we believe. The Bible makes this very clear....the "interpretations of men" have nothing to do with the word of God.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
They don't "collide". The Holy Spirit comes to dwell in us when we believe. The Bible makes this very clear....the "interpretations of men" have nothing to do with the word of God.
Thank you. You are absolutely right. A better word would impart a little more softness and grace like God (not all of him, of course) indwelling in humankind.

Words DO matter.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
God as impersonal and personal......

God as impersonal and personal......

~*~*~

Another thought for your pondering. Consider.....if God is truly infinite, there is a part of God that is ever unknowable. The finite can never reach, contain, comprehend or fathom the Infinite in its totality, but shares in some dimension of its ever yielding potential, as far as can be realized in each sphere of existence or order of creation.

~*~*~

A Theosophical View:

We can take this even further from a Theosophical perspective and hold that the term 'God' is not a proper name for The Infinite, since the word 'God' is often laden with anthropomorphic features and human qualities, which actually demean and degrade what is truly absolute, since the absolute and infinite reality is not personal, finite, relative, human or any such limiting description, for IT is truly beginningless, endless, boundless. In Theosophy then,....the One Eternal Thing (which is actually No-Thing)....is the Infinite potentiality, the absolute abstract space, absolute matter, absolute consciousness, absolute duration from which all manifest existence comes forth then returns back into since this universal space-matter-energy is eternal. There is no 'God' or gods involved in the process, but only imagined by men in various belief systems.

See: The Impersonal Divine
A FINITE PERSONAL GOD OR THE UNCONDITIONED ABSTRACT ALL?

~*~*~

From another POV, the Urantia Book reveals God as a divine Personality, and the source of all personality in the cosmos. In fact personality itself is one of the unique revelations in the papers. To hear Paper 1 on this subject go here. As a student of both these schools and other traditions, my concept of 'God' includes all that is personal and non-personal. 'God' is essentially a term for the eternal, infinite, omnipresent, energy, essence, consciousness of life, pure spirit, pure light. 'God' personalized is a form of God we personally imagine and relate to on a personal level, while The Infinite ALL is ever so much more.