IS GOD INFINITE ?

dialm

BANNED
Banned
Infinity is not a number. It is a concept.

The universe is not infinite. There is an end to it, although it seems to be expanding.

Hell is not infinite although it is expanding.

Sin is not infinite although it is expanding.

God is infinite but He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
YES.............

YES.............

Some people think that God is infinite

and some think that his spirit is everywhere.

Such is a 'thought' central to Spirit.

3:1.1 The ability of the Universal Father to be everywhere present, and at the same time, constitutes his omnipresence. God alone can be in two places, in numberless places, at the same time. God is simultaneously present “in heaven above and on the earth beneath”; as the Psalmist exclaimed: “Whither shall I go from your spirit? or whither shall I flee from your presence?”

3:1.2 “`I am a God at hand as well as afar off,' says the Lord. `Do not I fill heaven and earth?'” The Universal Father is all the time present in all parts and in all hearts of his far-flung creation. He is “the fullness of him who fills all and in all,” and “who works all in all,” and further, the concept of his personality is such that “the heaven universe and heaven of heavens (universe of universes) cannot contain him.”

It is literally true that God is all and in all. But even that is not all of God. The Infinite can be finally revealed only in infinity; the cause can never be fully comprehended by an analysis of effects; the living God is immeasurably greater than the sum total of creation that has come into being as a result of the creative acts of his unfettered free will. God is revealed throughout the cosmos, but the cosmos can never contain or encompass the entirety of the infinity of God.

-UB

View attachment 25428

I would consider 'infinity' itself, first (philosophically), ......then 'God' as 'infinite'.

For those interested in creative explorative ventures in 'infinity', see my Infinity Blog here (commentating on the first 12 chapters of Infinity (Book 1) by the Agni Yogi Society). - It must be so that the potential of infinity lies within the heart of man.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

The universe is not infinite. There is an end to it, although it seems to be expanding.

How do you know ? You have no evidence for these claims, as most all your claims.

Jerome84

God has to be infinite. Logically God could not be finite.

For example if God could die and "disappear"?

Of course God is infinite in all ways possible.

God has existed forever and will continue to do so.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
exploring terms...........

exploring terms...........

If by 'God' we mean the infinite Being and Principle of life/existence itself,....(prior to personification or personality-expression)...then this universal Essence which originates all substance and form, all consciousness...we traditionally assume as 'infinite'. IT is the Infinite Itself.....unborn, undying, without beginning or end, formless, undimensional (Nirguna Brahman = God without qualities or attributes)

As we assume 'God' as 'Deity' being a divine Person or personality, this infinite Being takes on more definite form, dimensionality, relatable attributes and qualities,...yet we still assume this divine personality or 'Godhead' is 'infinite' in nature, with some modifications. ( Saguna Brahman = God with qualities and attributes, form/personality)

We bring this up just to note some schools accept only an impersonal Absolute Principle, since to personify IT, would be to limit or demean it in someway, since The Absolute is beyond relating, beyond knowing even, it just IS. It is the Mother or Matrix of existence/creation.

Only temporal forms which have beginnings and endings appear to be born and die, while the unborn and deathless remains as it IS.

Absolutely, and relatively.

This is because 'God' or the Universal Principle, the Absolute itself, is prior to and the source of all existence, for all creation emerges out from 'God' into its various forms and evolutions. All 'creation' is the expression of potentiality unfolding, evolving in the playground of space-time.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Yes, Jerome !! Colossians 1:16 KJV - Hebrews 11:3 KJV -

OCTOBER23

The eyes of the Lord are in every place,
Keeping watch on the evil and the good.
----------------------------------------------
EXPLANATION:

THE BILLIONS OF ANGELS HAVE EYES TO WATCH EVERYONE AND REPORT BACK TO GOD.

eg. JACOB'S LADDER.

Genesis 28:12 And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth,

and the top of it reached to heaven:

and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The eyes of the Lord are in every place,
Keeping watch on the evil and the good.
----------------------------------------------
EXPLANATION:

THE BILLIONS OF ANGELS HAVE EYES TO WATCH EVERYONE AND REPORT BACK TO GOD.

Nonsense. You must be confusing the infinite Almighty God with some god of the Greek pantheon.

Scripture proclaims that heaven and earth cannot contain God (1 Kings 8:27), but He also fills heaven and earth with His presence (Jer 23:23–24). God is present throughout heaven and earth, yet He cannot be contained by heaven and earth. Scripture is declaring that God is infinite in that He is not confined to time and space. This concept is commonly called the doctrine of God’s omnipresence. God is not confined to any place. He is infinite, and so is present in all places at once. His center is everywhere. Though infinity may be applied to all God's attributes—he is infinitely merciful, infinitely wise, infinitely holy—yet, if we talk about God's infinity it implies God's omnipresence.

God must needs be infinite in all places at once, not only in regard to the simplicity and purity of His nature—but in regard to his power, which being so glorious, who can set bounds to Him, or prescribe Him a circuit to walk in? It is as if the drop should limit the ocean, or a candle set bounds to the sun.

AMR

OCTOBER23

MR. RELIGION said,

Nonsense. You must be confusing the infinite Almighty God

with some god of the Greek pantheon.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Religion, you Obviously do not know your Bible !!

Where in the Bible does it say that God is INFINITE.??????

It only says that his Understanding is Infinite and NOT Him.

Psalms 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power:
his understanding is infinite.
------------------------------------------------------------------

GOD is NOT OMNIPRESENT.
------------------------------------
The Bible implies that God's Spirit is Working in All but Not His Person.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Corinthians 12:6 And there are diversities of operations,

but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

1 Corinthians 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him,

then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him

that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

-------------------------------------
JESUS is NOT OMNIPRESENT.

The Bible implies that JESUS fills all with HIS SPIRIT but is not Omnipresent
----------------------------------------------------------------
Ephesians 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Zeke

Yes, I have been taught in Sunday school the attributes of God, but these arr thr things I know from His Word. God IS: He exists in 3 persons: Father, Son, Holy Spirit. All three are represented at creation, (Genesis 1, John 1, Collosians 1). The "trinity" which is not a word found in the Bible is yet seen throughout Old and New Testaments. They are one and there is no division or double-mindedness to God. He is one and unified in deed and intent: Deuteronomy 6:4, "Hear, Israel: YHWH is our God: YHWH is one:", and Matthew 28:19, "baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit", James 2:19, "You believe that God is one, you do well. The demons also believe and shudder."

Omnipotence. All are justified in believing God to be all powerful. Firstly, no one can empirically prove where the energy that is the source of all things resides. No one can prove these things either pro or con to God's claims, so since all of the prophesies in the Bible come to pass we are also justified in believing God is not a liar and can believe Him: Isaiah 44:24, "I am Yahweh, who makes all things; who alone stretches out the heavens; who spreads out the earth by myself", Hebrews 11:3, "By faith, we understand that the universe has been framed by the word of God, so that what is seen has not been made out of things which are visible", Isaiah 45:5, "I am Yahweh, and there is none else. Besides me, there is no God".

Omniscience. This we also know by prophesy and declairing of knowledge to the ancients that which we still discover. Isaiah 40:13-14, "Who has directed the Spirit of Yahweh, or has taught him as his counselor?

14Who did he take counsel with, and who instructed him, and taught him in the path of justice, and taught him knowledge, and showed him the way of understanding?", and 46:10, "Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; [I am] God, and there is none like me;

10declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not [yet] done; saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure".

Omnipresence. Here are just a few verses. Proverbs 15:3, "The eyes of the LORD are in every place, Watching the evil and the good", Colossians 1:7, "He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.", and Psalm 139:7-10, "Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me".

These are all verses anyone can find in a rudementary Google search. But these are attributes nonetheless, of which He has many. There is His Holiness, His Righteousness, His Perfection, Wisdom, Knowledge, Patience, Kindness, Love, and Mercy. Yes, those last two are indeed my favorites, as they have direct application to me, besides this one: God is a Person and Personal. And back to the Trinity we go: He IS Persons, and personal. God has a personality...Thee Personality. He is close and knowable, he put on flesh and blood and poured out His life for me, and you.

Jesus sat and ate with men. He held them and taught them. He said He knocks and whomever opens He will sup with. His Spirit is ever close, His kingdom within us. This is not a distant God. He is no far away force, but He is closer than a brother. He has a heart, emotions, and can be grieved. He is more than loving, but is THE definition of love itself. He is more than truthful, but the source of all truth. He is more than living, but is the source of all life, and this life He gives without merit in and through the Son.

The question may truly be not, "Is He infinate?", but "in how many ways?" He is the source of all that is good, and like the source of a great river we may not comprehend the depths of His plentitude, but may ever drink of His glory: the glory shown in the face of our Lord Jesus Christ, the fulness of the Godhead bodily. God bless you.

The Divine thought/vision isn't made of the visible but the creation process of that imagination/ becoming visible is made from the world of matter that the Divine expresses it self through from the micro to the macro.

You want to boast that God is the source of all the goodies and shy away from the Bad God is also responsible for in this school of duality. The thunder and lightning of matter OT, precedes the still small voice of the Spirit, NT.

OCTOBER23

ZEKE said,
You want to boast that God is the source of all the goodies and shy away from the Bad God is also responsible for in this school of duality. The thunder and lightning of matter OT, precedes the still small voice of the Spirit, NT.
GOD GOT RID OF THE BAD GUYS.

Maybe you want a World Full of Sodomites who may come after you

just as they came after LOT and his household ???
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zeke

ZEKE said,
GOD GOT RID OF THE BAD GUYS.

Maybe you want a World Full of Sodomites who may come after you

just as they came after LOT and his household ???
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're still around so he missed one.

I don't see where there is any doubt God is infinite on simple logical grounds. He created this vast universe we have yet to plumb the depths of, stars we can't number, and we also know another world on the other side of that veil of space darkness called heaven, His abode. So, this given, you can approach the question from the other side of it, that is, is the God who created all that limited in the worlds He could create? Can you come up with some number of worlds, where the power of eternal God would end? Is there any reason eternal God couldn't engage in creating, for eternity, if He willed? Cannot God do all things He wills?

The obvious answer is that He could, therefore He is infinite. Just the concept of the eternal is an infinite concept: God's very nature is infinite, period. It's only the concept of anybody having no beginning or ending, the concept of unlimited vastness, to small creatures born in time, is something hard to grasp, but this has no bearing on the existence of the infinite.

Draw a circle, then ask yourself where the beginning point and ending point is on a circle line, or even how many points you could have that makeup that circle line. Divide 22 by 7 and try to find where the pattern of numbers after the decimal place repeats, or simply divide 10 by 3 and ask yourself where the last 3 is to the right of the decimal. This, and many other examples, are even arithmetic evidence of the infinite in front of our noses, and anything eternal has no bounds, unless you can provide an answer to when eternity ends.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse.

Psalms 19

1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Some people think that God is infinite

and some think that his spirit is everywhere.

and some think that God is a Solid Radiant Being who gives off energy.

What is the plain truth of the Bible. ?:chew:
-------------------------------------------------------
Job 22:5 Is not thy wickedness great? and thine iniquities infinite?

Psalms 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Nahum 3:9 Ethiopia and Egypt were her strength, and it was infinite;

Your God is not infinite. And will cease to exist in a few years time when he doesn't turn up on October 23rd to prove that you were such a cool adherent.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

God is infinite but He is the same yesterday, today and forever.
Ever since the historical appearance of Jesus, God has been effectively removed from his throne up in heaven.

God has “come down to earth.” He is no longer a remote, angry and jealous figure outside the universe, occasionally dipping in and out to effect some miracle.

As always, he can only make himself known to us through the laws of nature and physics that have been consistent through time.