Is Calvinism Wrong?

john w

Hall of Fame
Dad gum it. That fits right in with Total Depravity. :think:

Robert, the Gospel is the POWER OF GOD UNTO SALVATION. Romans 1:16

This is why we preach it. This is why man is without excuse. We believe because we HEAR. If your claim is that God must intervene before we are able to hear, then you're preaching what the Calvinists do. Paul say we are sealed AFTER we heard and believed.

Eph. 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Yes, GD, Pate protests vehemently against Calvinism, Catholicism, but he talks like them-they talk like him. He is a poser, oblivious to his contradictions, forgetting what he had just posted minutes ago.

As the great Andy Griffith would say, "Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful....."

glorydaz

Yes, GD, Pate protests vehemently against Calvinism, Catholicism, but he talks like them-they talk like him. He is a poser, oblivious to his contradictions, forgetting what he had just posted minutes ago.

As the great Andy Griffith would say, "Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful....."

Heck, I forget the names of my own grandkids.....but at least I listen when I'm reminded.

glorydaz

The Pharisees followed the religion of the law. The law is found in the first 5 books of the Old Testament. The answer is yes.

They thought that Stephen had committed blasphemy and was worthy of death.

That wasn't the law's fault or religion's fault. It was because of their own unbelief.

Rosenritter

No you don't have to understand all that I posted, but if you do understand it you will not be led away by false doctrine. We are saved by simple child like faith in Jesus.

Calvinist and Catholics do not have child like faith. If they did they would not need their religion.

That seems like an awfully broad generalization.

Rosenritter

I won't be able to sleep tonight, with all these meanies, ganging up on me. Stop it!!!

How did I do?

You actually had a pretty good constructive criticism a page back: you showed a contradiction just by quoting back the original words and it spoke for itself. I tried to give it a + mark but the page crashed... it shows up as #0 but it's between 1389 and 1391.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
If you have faith in the work and the person of Jesus Christ for your salvation you will not need a religion. Religion is an indication of the absence of faith.

No it isn't.

It could perhaps be an indication of a lack of faith but not the absence of it, at least not to the extent that all relgious people aren't saved by virtue of their religious beliefs. Your stance here turns religious belief into the unpardonable sin! That's just ridiculous.

Believing false doctrine does not overcome the blood of Christ. If you believe "the gospel" as I laid out before (I'll post it again below) then I don't care what else you believe, you will be saved - period. False doctrine will deprive you of blessing here on Earth and of rewards in Heaven but it will not remove you from the hand of God once you have accepted Jesus as your savior and believed that God raised Him from the dead.

• God exists. He is the Creator of all things and He is holy, perfect and just.
  • We have, by doing evil things, rebelled against God.
  • We, having rebelled against the God who gave us our life and is Life itself, deserve death.
  • God, being unwilling that all should perish, provided for Himself a propitiation (an atoning sacrifice) in the person of His only begotten Son, God the Son, whom we call Jesus.
  • Jesus willingly bore the sins of the world and died on the cross on our behalf.
  • If you call upon the name of the Lord (i.e. acknowledge your need of a savior and that He is that Savior) and believe that God raised Him from the dead, YOU WILL BE SAVED.

Last edited:

Robert Pate

Banned
Dad gum it. That fits right in with Total Depravity. :think:

Robert, the Gospel is the POWER OF GOD UNTO SALVATION. Romans 1:16

This is why we preach it. This is why man is without excuse. We believe because we HEAR. If your claim is that God must intervene before we are able to hear, then you're preaching what the Calvinists do. Paul say we are sealed AFTER we heard and believed.

Eph. 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Many hear the Gospel but do not believe it, Hebrews 4:2. Only those that hear and believe the Gospel are given the Holy Spirit. You must believe that Jesus atoned for your sins, Romans 10:9-11. We that are saved are continuously trusting in Christ to save us. It is not a one time thing, it is a continuous trusting and believing process.

Robert Pate

Banned
No it isn't.

It could perhaps be an indication of a lack of faith but not the absence of it, at least not to the extent that all relgious people aren't saved by virtue of their religious beliefs. Your stance here turns religious belief into the unpardonable sin! That's just ridiculous.

Believing false doctrine does not overcome the blood of Christ. If you believe "the gospel" as I laid out before (I'll post it again below) then I don't care what else you believe, you will be saved - period. False doctrine will deprive you of blessing here on Earth and of rewards in Heaven but it will not remove you from the hand of God once you have accepted Jesus as your savior and believed that God raised Him from the dead.

• God exists. He is the Creator of all things and He is holy, perfect and just.
  • We have, by doing evil things, rebelled against God.
  • We, having rebelled against the God who gave us our life and is Life itself, deserve death.
  • God, being unwilling that all should perish, provided for Himself a propitiation (an atoning sacrifice) in the person of His only begotten Son, God the Son, whom we call Jesus.
  • Jesus willingly bore the sins of the world and died on the cross on our behalf.
  • If you call upon the name of the Lord (i.e. acknowledge your need of a savior and that He is that Savior) and believe that God raised Him from the dead, YOU WILL BE SAVED.

Jesus did far more than atone for our sins and the sins of the world. You have half of the Gospel but not the whole Gospel. Not only did Jesus die for us, he lived for us. In our name and on our behalf he offered to God the father a life of perfect obedience according to God's Holy Law. When God accepted Jesus into heaven we were accepted in him. This is how we are justified. Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5. He justifies the ungodly by doing for them that which we cannot do for ourselves.

Right Divider

Body part
Many hear the Gospel but do not believe it, Hebrews 4:2. Only those that hear and believe the Gospel are given the Holy Spirit. You must believe that Jesus atoned for your sins, Romans 10:9-11. We that are saved are continuously trusting in Christ to save us. It is not a one time thing, it is a continuous trusting and believing process.
So you believe that being sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise is not really sealed?

First you use the past tense "saved", but then you show that you really don't believe that.

Which is it?

P.S. This is the kind of confusion that you get for not rightly dividing.

Robert Pate

Banned
So you believe that being sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise is not really sealed?

First you use the past tense "saved", but then you show that you really don't believe that.

Which is it?

P.S. This is the kind of confusion that you get for not rightly dividing.

We are saved and sealed with the Holy Spirit by hearing and believing the Gospel. Not by going forward in some religious crusade to give your heart to Jesus. Listen to Ephesians 1:13.

"In whom you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, THE GOSPEL OF YOUR SALVATION: in whom after that you believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise"

There are many on this Forum that do not believe the Gospel, but think that they are Christians.

In the Gospel. Jesus defeats, sin, death and the devil, Hebrews 1:3. In the Gospel Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5. In the Gospel Jesus fulfills all of the demands of God's Holy Law, Matthew 5:18. In the Gospel Jesus atones for our sins and the sin of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. In the Gospel Jesus makes us complete in himself, Colossians 2:10. In the Gospel we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. In the Gospel we are accepted because Jesus is accepted.

john w

Hall of Fame
Perhaps you ought to speak for yourself, I know that's not a good choice, however, you're the only one that was available. :banana:

More fluff, cotton candy, from TOL's Mr. Irrelevant, who cannot resist back-to-back, to-back, to-back, to back,...................."posts," that say nothing, critiquing the troops, from the bleachers.

john w

Hall of Fame
For such a little man, you sure are feisty. :chuckle:

Little man, you quip, old man? Of course, you'd not say that to my face, would you, gramps? Lack confidence? Fell better, old man? Let go...Release yourself....Free yourself....

Mr. Fluff "poster"(loosely employed here) has weighed in, again, from the sidelines, bleachers. Let the soldiers do the heavy lifting, gramps, as the bible is a rough book. War is rough. Just stay out of the way, less you risk getting your feelings hurt.

Can you dig it, geezer? Good!

john w

Hall of Fame
I kinda think you're placing yourself in a high position of 'personal importance.' I think you may have outreached yourself, W of John. :doh:

I "kinda" think you need more medicine, gramps. To wit:

Your page:
This page has had 3,731 visits

tumbleweed.jpg

Vs.

The great, humble saint John W, the TOL Rifleman's page:

This page has had 16,782 visits

huge-crowd-0011.jpg

Contrasts

Right Divider

Body part
We are saved and sealed with the Holy Spirit by hearing and believing the Gospel. Not by going forward in some religious crusade to give your heart to Jesus. Listen to Ephesians 1:13.
You have a bad habit of always FALSELY accusing people of things.

"In whom you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, THE GOSPEL OF YOUR SALVATION: in whom after that you believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise"

There are many on this Forum that do not believe the Gospel, but think that they are Christians.
Too bad for them.

In the Gospel. Jesus defeats, sin, death and the devil, Hebrews 1:3. In the Gospel Jesus justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5. In the Gospel Jesus fulfills all of the demands of God's Holy Law, Matthew 5:18. In the Gospel Jesus atones for our sins and the sin of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. In the Gospel Jesus makes us complete in himself, Colossians 2:10. In the Gospel we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. In the Gospel we are accepted because Jesus is accepted.
You just keep parroting certain falsehoods as if they are truths.

Your idea that Jesus "kept the law for us" is one of those falsehoods.