If Evolution

2003cobra

As far as I'm aware, no one here that claims that Genesis 1+2 are speaking of the creation account as being literal has claimed that the entire Bible is to be take literally, every verse.

Jesus said:

[JESUS]For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”[/JESUS] - John 5:46-47 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John5:46-47&version=KJ21

Moses said:

For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. - Exodus 20:11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus20:11&version=KJ2

Moses also wrote both Genesis 1 and Genesis 2. So the question is now, "Did Moses write two different creation accounts, as inspired by God, or did he write one creation account in both chapters, but with the first chapter he provided an overview, and with the second he went into the details a bit?"

Moses was reaffirmed by Jesus as writing something that should be taken as truth. Which is more likely, Jesus being wrong about what Moses wrote, or you being wrong about what Moses wrote?
Whoever wrote Genesis 1 and 2 wrote two creation accounts with different orders and methods of creation.

Jesus wasn’t here to correct erroneous interpretations of history.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Whoever wrote Genesis 1 and 2 wrote two creation accounts with different orders and methods of creation.

Jesus wasn’t here to correct erroneous interpretations of history.

So now you're questioning the authorship of Genesis? That's a really lame excuse to get out of answering my questions above, which still need answering.

Now you have to prove, based on your assertion above in this post, that Moses did not write Genesis 1-2. If you can do that, then you might have a case to make.

Which is more likely?:

1. Jesus being wrong about what Moses wrote (which Jesus claims as something to be believed)
2. You being wrong about what Moses wrote

And here's another question for you:

In Exodus, did Moses write that God created in six days, and rested on the seventh?

2003cobra

So you have a vested interest in showing that Genesis is not to be taken literally.
Yes, as a follower of Jesus Christ, I do not want people to be turned away from the gospel by unreasonable and unscriptural ideas.
Thanks for showing your motives.
You are welcome. What are your motives?
See, Cobra, words have meaning.
Yes they do.
And the words of the first creation story clearly say that man was created after the plants and the animals.
And the words of the second creation story clearly say that man was formed before the plants and animals.
So words saying they are both literal history are literally indefensible.

If what you say is true, and Genesis 1-2 are not to be taken literally, then it removes the entire foundation for the rest of the Bible, the most important part being that there would no longer be any reason for God to have come as a Man and died and be raised from the dead to pay for our sins.
I understand you want to use that position as a way to deny the words of Genesis 1 and 2, but you are wrong.
Sin exists, from whatever source, and it separates God from man.

Your having a need, based on your presuppositions about sin, does not change the words of Genesis 1 and 2.
My question to you is this: if Genesis 1,2 are not literal accounts of the creation story, are they just figures of speech/analogies? If so, what do those figures of speech mean/what do those analogies represent?
They are stories that are obviously not literal history, as they are literally incompatible with each other and the evidence that God has given us in creation.

They do have truths, among which are:
God is the creator and
God cares for people and
Man and woman should be partners.

2003cobra

So now you're questioning the authorship of Genesis?
Why aren’t you?
The text is anonymous.

Now you have to prove, based on your assertion above in this post, that Moses did not write Genesis 1-2. If you can do that, then you might have a case to make.
How silly.
I don’t have to prove who did not write an anonymous book.

Which is more likely?:

1. Jesus being wrong about what Moses wrote (which Jesus claims as something to be believed)
2. You being wrong about what Moses wrote
And where did Jesus state definitively that He believed Moses wrote Genesis 1 and 2?

And here's another question for you:

In Exodus, did Moses write that God created in six days, and rested on the seventh?
The text is anonymous.

The Torah was referred to as Books of Moses, but that does not mean Moses wrote it all. We know parts of the Torah were not written by Moses. You are aware that the Torah includes the death, burial, and mourning of Moses in addition to declaring that no such prophet has risen since?

Deut 34 Then Moses, the servant of the Lord, died there in the land of Moab, at the Lord's command. 6 He was buried in a valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth-peor, but no one knows his burial place to this day. 7 Moses was one hundred twenty years old when he died; his sight was unimpaired and his vigor had not abated. 8 The Israelites wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days; then the period of mourning for Moses was ended. 9 Joshua son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom, because Moses had laid his hands on him; and the Israelites obeyed him, doing as the Lord had commanded Moses. 10 Never since has there arisen a prophet in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face. 11 He was unequaled for all the signs and wonders that the Lord sent him to perform in the land of Egypt, against Pharaoh and all his servants and his entire land, 12 and for all the mighty deeds and all the terrifying displays of power that Moses performed in the sight of all Israel.

I know you have adopted the tradition of Moses writing the entire Torah as a doctrine. But it is a only a tradition.

Do you think Moses wrote about his 30 day mourning period and the fact that no such prophet had arisen since?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Why aren’t you?
The text is anonymous.

How silly.
I don’t have to prove who did not write an anonymous book.

You made the claim that Moses did not write the book of Genesis.

I rest on the claim of the Talmud that, except for the last 8 verses of Deuteronomy which describe Moses' death, which was written by Joshua, Moses wrote the first five books.

The obligation is therefore yours (onus probandi) to establish your position as the better position.

And where did Jesus state definitively that He believed Moses wrote Genesis 1 and 2?

Let me repeat, since you didn't seem to read it.

Jesus said:

For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me.But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?” - John 5:46-47 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John5:46-47&version=KJ21

The text is anonymous.

The Torah was referred to as Books of Moses, but that does not mean Moses wrote it all.

I never made that claim.

We know parts of the Torah were not written by Moses.

Agreed.

You are aware that the Torah includes the death, burial, and mourning of Moses

Duh.

in addition to declaring that no such prophet has risen since?

Deut 34 Then Moses, the servant of the Lord, died there in the land of Moab, at the Lord's command. 6 He was buried in a valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth-peor, but no one knows his burial place to this day. 7 Moses was one hundred twenty years old when he died; his sight was unimpaired and his vigor had not abated. 8 The Israelites wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days; then the period of mourning for Moses was ended. 9 Joshua son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom, because Moses had laid his hands on him; and the Israelites obeyed him, doing as the Lord had commanded Moses. 10 Never since has there arisen a prophet in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face. 11 He was unequaled for all the signs and wonders that the Lord sent him to perform in the land of Egypt, against Pharaoh and all his servants and his entire land, 12 and for all the mighty deeds and all the terrifying displays of power that Moses performed in the sight of all Israel.

That Moses was a prophet like no other is not in dispute, so what's your point?

I know you have adopted the tradition of Moses writing the entire Torah as a doctrine. But it is a only a tradition.

Then you need to establish that that tradition is wrong.

Do you think Moses wrote about his 30 day mourning period

It is possible that he did so, as God could have told Moses what will happen (no, I'm not saying God knows the future, I'm saying that God's ability to predict things is beyond our comprehension) to him after he died.

and the fact that no such prophet had arisen since?

I don't dispute that a prophet has not arisen who was like Moses.

Nor would it go against my beliefs that Moses could write that "Never since has there arisen a prophet in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face," as, keeping in mind that God is the one who gave Moses (assuming it's Moses who wrote) the information he needed to write the five books, God had used Moses to do mighty things that He would not need to ever do again, and considering that God was writing a much larger story that went beyond what Moses wrote.

What Moses did in his lifetime was such that no other prophet would need to do.

Lon

Obviously, there are many things in the Bible that are not literally true, and many stories that are parables. The Bible itself says so.
Back on topic, Genesis, Moses tells us, is literal Exodus 20:11 (The Bible itself says so). Anybody trying to say different isn't listening. I realize a good many Catholics get caught up in what science (fallible men) says. I'll question fallible men WAY before I question Moses and, as you said, it is also a good reason for the Reformation. Matthew 4:4 is literal. There is no 'wiggle' room for me and most Protestants.

Discussion then, is to take one's foundational suppositions and try to convince the other they are the right ones.

Lon

Nor would it go against my beliefs that Moses could write that "Never since has there arisen a prophet in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face," as, keeping in mind that God is the one who gave Moses (assuming it's Moses who wrote) the information he needed to write the five books, God had used Moses to do mighty things that He would not need to ever do again, and considering that God was writing a much larger story that went beyond what Moses wrote.
For either one convinced of Foreknowledge or omnicompetence, I think it amounts to the same thing that the front is united by all Protestants and a good number of Catholics on this point.

2003cobra

JR writes:

You made the claim that Moses did not write the book of Genesis.

Before we go further and I respond to the rest of your post, please quote my saying that.

I think you have read into my posts something that was not said.

I am sure that you want to doublecheck and be sure you are honestly representing my posts.

2003cobra

Back on topic, Genesis, Moses tells us, is literal Exodus 20:11 (The Bible itself says so). Anybody trying to say different isn't listening. I realize a good many Catholics get caught up in what science (fallible men) says. I'll question fallible men WAY before I question Moses and, as you said, it is also a good reason for the Reformation. Matthew 4:4 is literal. There is no 'wiggle' room for me and most Protestants.

Discussion then, is to take one's foundational suppositions and try to convince the other they are the right ones.

The text does not say that Genesis is literal.

In fact, if you accept the 6 days of creation from the first creation story as literal history, then the second creation story from Genesis 2 cannot be literal. The second creation story has a different order and method of creation.

2003cobra

For either one convinced of Foreknowledge or omnicompetence, I think it amounts to the same thing that the front is united by all Protestants and a good number of Catholics on this point.

Imagining all Protestants are united on this point is inaccurate.

Simply google “who wrote Genesis” and the first thing to pop up is

Tradition credits Moses as the author of Genesis, as well as Exodus, Book of Leviticus, Numbers and most of Book of Deuteronomy, but modern scholars increasingly see them as a product of the 6th and 5th centuries BC.
Book of Genesis - Wikipedia
Wikipedia › wiki › Book_of_Genesis

6days

Imagining all Protestants are united on this point is inaccurate.

Simply google “who wrote Genesis” and the first thing to pop up is

Tradition credits Moses as the author of Genesis, as well as Exodus, Book of Leviticus, Numbers and most of Book of Deuteronomy, but modern scholars increasingly see them as a product of the 6th and 5th centuries BC.
Book of Genesis - Wikipedia
Wikipedia › wiki › Book_of_Genesis
Many of us trust Jesus over Wiki... apparently not all of us.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Back on topic, Genesis, Moses tells us, is literal Exodus 20:11 (The Bible itself says so).

Not unless you've got a newly-revised Bible. The old versions don't have Moses saying anything at all like that. Anybody trying to say different is adding their own ideas to the text.

I realize a good many Catholics get caught up in what science (fallible men) says.

We don't add to scripture, as fallible men do, claiming that Moses wrote that Genesis is literal. He never did that. I'll question fallible men WAY before I question Moses[/quote]

You took the word of fallible men who told you that Moses said Genesis is literal. The two different creation stories and the notion of mornings and evenings without a sun make it clear why Moses didn't say it was literal.

Matthew 4:4 is literal.

But it doesn't say that Genesis is literal. It's a rebuke to those who would add that to what Moses wrote.

2003cobra

Many of us trust Jesus over Wiki... apparently not all of us.

I trust Jesus over Wikipedia too.

But I don’t presume to attribute to the Savior things that He did not say.

And my comment was about Lon’s wildly exaggerated claim that all Protestants are united on something they are not.