If Evolution

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Unlike the honest creationist, we now see the dishonest evolutionist. Wise does not consider the horse series to be transitional.

He says that it's very good evidence for evolution. Would you like me to show you again? Do you think people can't go back and see that? While he prefers his new religious ideas, he's honest enough to admit that the facts support transitional forms, (which is what he calls them in the title of his paper).

After all, he believes God's Word

He's also honest enough to admit that it's his own understanding of what God's word is.

and talks about how there is scientific evidence for the young earth...

In this paper, he says that the horse series (among many others he mentions) is good evidence for evolution.

6days

The Barbarian said:
He says that it's very good evidence for evolution.
He says transitional is an interpretive thing only. It has meaning only with the evolutionary belief system.

The Barbarian said:
While he prefers his new religious ideas
If you mean he prefers God's Word over evolutionism... yes.

The Barbarian said:
he's honest enough to admit that the facts support transitional forms, (which is what he calls them in the title of his paper).
He is honest... you unfortunately aren't. He could also use words like 'UFO', or 'Sasquatch' in a title then address it from a Biblical perspective.

He says the term 'transitional is an "ambiguous" word.

The Barbarian said:
He's also honest enough to admit that it's his own understanding of what God's word is.
It's cool sort of that you are impressed with him telling you that you deny the veracity of God's Word.

The Barbarian said:
In this paper, he says that the horse series (among many others he mentions) is good evidence for evolution.
Why aren't you honest like Mr. Wise? In the article you cite, he says "conventional theory is much less successful at explaining some of their fossil evidence (namely the horse series) series then is the creation model."

Kurt Wise is an honest enough paleontogist to reject evolutionary interpretations of transitionals, and take a stand on the authority of God's Word.

Right Divider

Body part
Dude, your description to me about evolution was an "organism crawling out of a pile of poop" so give it up.

You're the one acting like some kid who's been denied X Box privileges...

:plain:
My comment was mean to be very "tongue in cheek", but I'll sure that any subtleties are bound to go right over your head. (oo.. I used another figure of speech, AB will get confused again).

If the prevailing "theory of evolution" is no longer that a some chemicals miraculously came to life, then please let me know.

Silent Hunter

If the prevailing "theory of evolution" is no longer that a some chemicals miraculously came to life, then please let me know.
There are no miracles involved in the "prevailing theory of evolution" but the "prevailing theory of creationism" is worthless without them.

Goddidit is an irrational way to do science. It explains nothing except that creationists are lazy.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Dr. Wise admits that the horse series is very good evidence for evolution.

He says transitional is an interpretive thing only.

Let's take a look...

From Kurt Wise's Toward a Creationist Understanding of Transitional Forms: (yes, he says they are transitional forms)

Evidence for not just one but for all three of the species level and above types of stratomorphic intermediates expected by macroevolutionary theory is surely strong evidence for macroevolutionary theory. Creationists therefore need to accept this fact. It certainly CANNOT be said dthat tradtional creation theory expected (or predicted) any of these fossil finds...At this point in time, the largest challenge from the stratomorphic intermediate record appears to this author to come from the stdratigraphic series of archaocete genera claimed by Gingerich (Ambulocetus, Rhodocetus, and Prozeuglodon[or the similar-aged Basilosaurus]) followed on the one hand by modern mysticetes, and on the other hand by the family Squalodontidae and then modern Odontocetes... (technical details)...This series of fossils is thus a very powerful stratomorphic series. Because the land mammal-to-whale transition (theorized by macroevolutionary theory and evidence by the fossil record) is a land-to-sea transition, the relative order of land mammals, archaeocetes, and modern whales is not explainable in the conventional Flood geology method (transgressing Flood waters).

It has meaning only with the evolutionary belief system.

See above. Wise honestly acknowledges the fossil record is strong evidence for evolution, and cannot be explained adequately by creationist belief. He holds out the hope that it might someday be so, but admits that presently, it is not possible to fit the evidence into YE belief.

If you mean he prefers God's Word over evolutionism... yes.

He's honest enough to admit that he prefers his interpretation of God's word over the evidence.
He is honest... you unfortunately aren't.

Silent Hunter

I do so enjoy silly drivel ... thanks.
A few examples of how creationists do science:

Lightning - goddidit
Thunder - goddidit
Disease - goddidit
The origin of life - goddidit
Anything a creationist doesn't understand - goddidit
Anything a creationist can't explain - goddidit
Anything a creationist is too lazy to investigate - goddidit

:rotfl:

Right Divider

Body part

Lightning - goddidit
Thunder - goddidit
Disease - goddidit

:rotfl:
More silly drivel from the drivinator.

Go ahead and continue to humiliate yourself if that makes you feel better.

Silent Hunter

Lightning - goddidit
Thunder - goddidit
Disease - goddidit
More silly drivel from the drivinator.
Well, someone sure is "silly" and I'm absolutely certain it is the creationists.
Go ahead and continue to humiliate yourself if that makes you feel better.
Go ahead and continue to fill gaps in what is known with, godidit, and I'll continue look for the answers that expand knowlege.

Gap in knowledge:

Lightning - electricity, not goddidit
Thunder - expansion of air caused by lightning, not goddidit
Disease - viruses, bacteria, and parasites, not goddidit
The origin of life - presently unknown, and certainly not goddidit

Right Divider

Body part
Well, someone sure is "silly" and I'm absolutely certain it is the creationists.Go ahead and continue to fill gaps in what is known with, godidit, and I'll continue look for the answers that expand knowlege.

Gap in knowledge:

You're hilarious. So much pride and so little knowledge.

Silent Hunter

Well, someone sure is "silly" and I'm absolutely certain it is the creationists.Go ahead and continue to fill gaps in what is known with, godidit, and I'll continue look for the answers that expand knowlege.

Gap in knowledge:

You're hilarious.
No, I'm Silent Hunter. Hilarious is 6 days.
So much pride and so little knowledge.
When creationists lack knowledge they immediately insert goddidit. For creationists, not knowing something means goddidit by default. It's a convenient way of appearing smart and stupid at the same time.

Right Divider

Body part
No, I'm Silent Hunter. Hilarious is 6 days.
When creationists lack knowledge they immediately insert goddidit. For creationists, not knowing something means goddidit by default. It's a convenient way of appearing smart and stupid at the same time.
When you graduate from the sixth grade, then we can talk.

You have a good point. Would you be willing to use the accepted biological species definition? It works well for sexually reproducing organisms. Perhaps it would be best to use recognized mammalian species as a benchmark?

This is still a little ambiguous; because, even though something is a mammal it still might not necessarily be the same kind. This is why there is so much contention between creation and other world origin theories. I wish there was a cut and dry point in the classification system that we could say, "this is where the kind ends." For the most part, I would probably agree that the kind cut-off is at the family level of classification, but the lines are still hard to draw at times. Would it be ok if we resolve to use "kind" and "species" interchangeably to mean at the family level of classification (unless otherwise specified) for any future conversation between us?

Not families. Different genera. The hierarchy is: species, genus, family, order, class, phylum, kingdom, domain. "Domain' is a fairly new idea, separating eukaryotes, bacteria, and archae.

They didn't. These are different genera. You could make an argument for the later Hyracotherium being almost the same as early Orohippus. It is precisely because evolution leads to speciation that classifications are messy.

I believe there may have been a misunderstanding here. When I replied, I was referring to Hyracotherium and Orohippus being classified as different families, not your post with Orohippus and Mesohippus. I should have specified, I apologize.

I'm using differences small enough that each step is acceptable to creationists.

It seems that most creationists are opposed to any type of evolution. As soon as you say "evolution" they bring up a cross and hiss at you. There are types of evolution that are scientific, speciation being one of them, but it only goes so far before you step out of the realm of science and into the realm of religion. I fully admit that what I believe about the origin of the world is a religion, it is not scientific, but it seems impossible for most to admit that any world/life origin theory is a religion and not science.

They do. Although I'm pretty sure creationists admit Mesohippus into the "horse kind", it seems they don't allow Orohippus there. But as you see, they could be extreme varients of a single species.

I do not see why not... All we have to go on is the fossils of such animals; so, as far as what we observe from the evidence, I believe that they probably are "extreme" variants of a single species. I do not doubt that every variant that you would show me would not be a variant of a single species: but, that is my point, I believe that is all that they are; variants of a single species. That is as far as science goes when it comes to such evidence. As far as I am concerned, my objection of the evidence is not that they all appear to come from a single species; rather, my objection is the timeframe in which the supposed transitions took place. This is why I proposed the topic of the age of the earth without a biological component. It would seem that evolution (in the broadest, most general sense of the word) hinges on the age of our universe/planet.

Evolutionary theory allows that. Extinction is a fact, and organisms that go extinct still existed in the past.

Extinction is most certainly a fact, and organisms that go extinct certainly did exist in the past. Creation also allows for that. You seem to be pretty honest, and I would expect that, if I could give you a plausible alternative to the evidence, you would admit that creation could be a viable theory. Is that a fair assumption? I'm not trying to turn you into a creationist, I would just like to know that you would respect creation as a viable theory. I truly believe that evolution (again in the broadest, most general sense of the word) is an incorrect theory, but I do respect it as a viable theory, and that is all I ask in return. I am not here to prove evolution wrong, I am here to show that it is not the only viable theory.

They tell us that the general trend in horse evolution (there were a lot of branches, and some didn't follow the general trend) is toward larger size, more robust teeth more adapted to grazing than browsing, reduction in toes and a less flexible spine.

This occurred during a cooler and drier time in the Earth's history, when forest were reduced and grasslands spread widely. So it makes sense.

They do not tell us that... They allow us to theorize that the trend in horse speciation was toward larger size, more robust teeth adapted to grazing, and reduction in toes with a less flexible spine. And I would be inclined to agree with that theory.

It only matters that some of them did, not the particular one that happened to fossilize.

Logically, if the only evidence he have are dead fossilized bones, we cannot conclude something, that cannot be directly observed in said evidence, is a fact. We can certainly theorize all we want, but the observable evidence does not tell us what actually took place.

As Darwin pointed out, every organisms is slightly different than its parents.

This was a great observation, and I believe that he made many great observations, but I wonder why it is that so many people consider Darwin such a great scientist when his only formal education was in Theology... Sorry this is just a rant. It has always bothered me though.

Depends on the fossil. Dating fossils is accurate in the context of geologic ages.

You are quite correct, and I applaud you for making sure you said that the dating of fossils is accurate in the context of geologic ages. That is what it really comes down to is it not? The accuracy of the geologic ages?

Thank you for taking the time to continue our discussion, especially when this subject has been hashed out so badly over and over again.

This is known as "the god of the gaps" and it is a straw-man fallacy. I would appreciate it if you would discontinue the use of such fallacies. Not only is it annoying, it makes you sound like you lack the honesty and intelligence to hold a real conversation with anyone. 6days and Right Divider may not be able to articulate there beliefs in the most logical and clear manner, but it does not make their arguments any less valid, and it certainly should be beneath you to use such low tactics to make it seem as if your arguments hold any water when they are simply based on a dishonest fallacy.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
This is still a little ambiguous; because, even though something is a mammal it still might not necessarily be the same kind. This is why there is so much contention between creation and other world origin theories.

Blame evolution. If there were discrete "kinds", we'd have nice clean classifications with no ambiguity. The ambiguity, with many "in between" cases, is a prediction of evolutionary theory. Darwin pointed this out in The Origin of Species.

I wish there was a cut and dry point in the classification system that we could say, "this is where the kind ends." For the most part, I would probably agree that the kind cut-off is at the family level of classification,

Years ago, I was discussing this with John Woodmorappe of "Ark Feasibility Study" fame. He had the same opinion. New species, genera and families evolved, in his opinion, but that was it. Order was the limiting taxon for "kind", he thought. Problem is, we have transitional forms between orders and genetic data indicates relationships.

but the lines are still hard to draw at times. Would it be ok if we resolve to use "kind" and "species" interchangeably to mean at the family level of classification (unless otherwise specified) for any future conversation between us?

I have no problem with using "kinds" that way, but for sexually reproducing species, "population of interbreeding organisms" would be the proper term.

I believe there may have been a misunderstanding here. When I replied, I was referring to Hyracotherium and Orohippus being classified as different families, not your post with Orohippus and Mesohippus. I should have specified, I apologize.

No problem. But Hyracotherium and Orohippus are classified in different genera, but the same family.

It seems that most creationists are opposed to any type of evolution. As soon as you say "evolution" they bring up a cross and hiss at you.

I think they object to the word "evolution." However, most of the prominent creationists seem to accept speciation and new genera and families appearing, as you suggested. The ICR and "Answers in Genesis" positions accept speciation as a fact.

There are types of evolution that are scientific, speciation being one of them, but it only goes so far before you step out of the realm of science and into the realm of religion. I fully admit that what I believe about the origin of the world is a religion, it is not scientific, but it seems impossible for most to admit that any world/life origin theory is a religion and not science.

Evolution is not about how the world began, or how life began. It's about how living things vary over time.

I do not see why not... All we have to go on is the fossils of such animals; so, as far as what we observe from the evidence, I believe that they probably are "extreme" variants of a single species. I do not doubt that every variant that you would show me would not be a variant of a single species: but, that is my point, I believe that is all that they are; variants of a single species.

Hyracotherium and Orohippus could be extreme variants of a single species. Orohippus and Mesohippus are alike enough to be extreme variants of a single species. But Hyracotherium and Mesohippus are a little beyond the range of variation in a single species. I'm sure you've already figured out what the point is. As we go forward in time, these incremental changes that are small enough to admit in one species, add up to rather drastic change over time. Which is why Kurt Wise mentions that the horse series is strong evidence for evolution.

That is as far as science goes when it comes to such evidence. As far as I am concerned, my objection of the evidence is not that they all appear to come from a single species; rather, my objection is the timeframe in which the supposed transitions took place. This is why I proposed the topic of the age of the earth without a biological component. It would seem that evolution (in the broadest, most general sense of the word) hinges on the age of our universe/planet.

This is true. If the Earth is no more than 10,000 years old, there is no time to have all these different species. For that matter, there's no space. If all of them existed at one time, there would be extreme crowding. Just for the ones we know about, one calculation figured a large mammal for an area the size of a football field over the entire earth, including water.

Extinction is most certainly a fact, and organisms that go extinct certainly did exist in the past. Creation also allows for that. You seem to be pretty honest, and I would expect that, if I could give you a plausible alternative to the evidence, you would admit that creation could be a viable theory.

Creation is a fact. But it's miraculous, an act of God, and therefore not a theory. Creationism, if it's presented as a scientific theory, open to evidence, could be so. But theories stand or fall on evidence alone, not faith. Could God have, as some creationists suggest, produce evidence for evolution to perhaps test our faith? Yes, God is omnipotent, and could do anything. However, the God I worship is truth embodied, and would not have done that. Still, I could be wrong about God being truthful, although I would never believe it.

Is that a fair assumption? I'm not trying to turn you into a creationist, I would just like to know that you would respect creation as a viable theory.

Dr. Wise is doing a great deal of work trying to develop a consistent baraminology (biology based on "kinds") I respect his work, although he has not yet produced a theory. Theories are ideas or groups of ideas that have been repeatedly validated by evidence. If he succeeds, I'd be willing to grant that he had a valid theory.

I would also grant that creationism is a valid religious doctrine, much as Arminianism and Calvinism are valid religious doctrines, although it seems that they can't both be true. They are Christian beliefs, and while they may be wrong, they are not contrary to Christian belief. Nor is YE creationism; the only YE doctrine that is contradicted by the Bible, is the "life ex nihilo" belief, and it seems fewer and fewer creationists hold to it these days.

I truly believe that evolution (again in the broadest, most general sense of the word) is an incorrect theory, but I do respect it as a viable theory, and that is all I ask in return. I am not here to prove evolution wrong, I am here to show that it is not the only viable theory.

It's the only viable scientific theory at present. That's not to say that something might someday overturn it. This is what Kurt Wise is looking toward. My guess is that it is, like Newton's Theory of Gravitation, so fundamental that it will remain valid long after better theories (like relativity) have been confirmed.

They do not tell us that... They allow us to theorize that the trend in horse speciation was toward larger size, more robust teeth adapted to grazing, and reduction in toes with a less flexible spine. And I would be inclined to agree with that theory.

Theories are ideas that have sufficient evidence to support them that it's perverse to deny them. But we do know that such changes are those that permit grazing, and life in the open, where speed is a better way of avoiding predators than hiding.

This was a great observation, and I believe that he made many great observations, but I wonder why it is that so many people consider Darwin such a great scientist when his only formal education was in Theology...

Because he had such a grasp of biology. It's stunning to read his books and realize how much of biology he had learned by reading, observing, and discussing it with others. His research on barnacles, for example, is the foundational work in that field. He was the first to correctly identify the cause of Pacific atolls, which had been a problem for geologists.

An amazing man.

Sorry this is just a rant. It has always bothered me though.

Read The Origin of Species the detail is overwhelming. And it's not just citing the work of others, although there's a lot of that. There's an amazing amount of personal research in his theory. It was his first love; his father made him study theology, as being an Anglican priest was a good career at the time.

You are quite correct, and I applaud you for making sure you said that the dating of fossils is accurate in the context of geologic ages.

There are lots of problems with the process, not the least of which is we rarely can directly date fossilized material; we have to date other things in the same strata. Ideally, igneous rock above and below gives us good information.

That is what it really comes down to is it not? The accuracy of the geologic ages?

Isochrons have made that pretty accurate. But even if it didn't, the temporal sequence of horses shows the process regardless of how long it took.

Thank you for taking the time to continue our discussion, especially when this subject has been hashed out so badly over and over again.

No problem. Good to hear from you. I won't take it badly if you strongly assert your ideas; I value bluntness, and do not feel offended if one disagrees with me. As far as the age of the Earth is concerned, you might want to check how dating works at some of these sites.

Joe Meert's site:
http://gondwanaresearch.com/radiomet.htm

A nice summary of the way it works, based on his own work in geochronology.

http://www.sciencecourseware.com/virtualdating/
This one is a bit simplistic, aimed at HS or introductory college level, but it is interactive and interesting.

6days

It seems that most creationists are opposed to any type of evolution. As soon as you say "evolution" they bring up a cross and hiss at you. There are types of evolution that are scientific, speciation being one of them, but it only goes so far before you step out of the realm of science and into the realm of religion. I fully admit that what I believe about the origin of the world is a religion, it is not scientific, but it seems impossible for most to admit that any world/life origin theory is a religion and not science.
http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?110849-Rapid-Adaptation

What exactly are you trying to say by quoting a portion of my post and just replying with a link? You do nothing when you do not state a position for or against a quote. Have you even bothered to read my posts? I am well aware that speciation happens quite rapidly, but that does not mean that it is not evolution; however it does implicate that the timeframe that evolution holds is incorrect.

I defended you when you were attacked by the “god of the gaps” straw man fallacy, but it seems that you have also created a straw man regarding evolution. There are many types of “evolution” some of which are scientific. Just because I can admit that some forms of evolution are scientific does not mean that I agree with every conclusion. That is the beauty of science.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Silent Hunter

When you graduate from the sixth grade, then we can talk.
When you are able to separate myth from reality, THEN we can talk. Goddidit is an excuse for what is unknown, a fantasy. Now that I know you haven't passed kindergarten I'd like to wish you good luck with your belief in Santa Claus.

6days

What exactly are you trying to say by quoting a portion of my post and just replying with a link? You do nothing when you do not state a position for or against a quote. Have you even bothered to read my posts? I am well aware that speciation happens quite rapidly, but that does not mean that it is not evolution; however it does implicate that the timeframe that evolution holds is incorrect.

I defended you when you were attacked by the “god of the gaps” straw man fallacy, but it seems that you have also created a straw man regarding evolution. There are many types of “evolution” some of which are scientific. Just because I can admit that some forms of evolution are scientific does not mean that I agree with every conclusion. That is the beauty of science.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Hey Veritas... thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't add a comment to the link. The point I was trying to make is that I agree with you. The link was to a post I made previously showing organisms can sometimes adapt,and even speciate rapidly. (it does not take vast amounts of time).

Silent Hunter

This is known as "the god of the gaps" and it is a straw-man fallacy.
[/quote]You should probably brush up on your knowledge of informal fallacies. "God of the gaps" is an "argument from ignorance" fallacy creationists routinely use.
I would appreciate it if you would discontinue the use of such fallacies.
Since I'm not the party guilty of the fallacy your objection is misplaced.
Not only is it annoying, it makes you sound like you lack the honesty and intelligence to hold a real conversation with anyone.
It is creationists who are guilty of the "god of the gaps" fallacy so I suppose it makes you [n]creationists[/b] sound like you they lack the honesty and intelligence to hold a real conversation with anyone.
6days and Right Divider may not be able to articulate there beliefs in the most logical and clear manner, but it does not make their arguments any less valid, and it certainly should be beneath you to use such low tactics to make it seem as if your arguments hold any water when they are simply based on a dishonest fallacy.
As you now know, any argument that ends, "In the beginning goddidit", is an "argument from ignorance" fallacy. Never in the history of debate/discussion/conversation has goddidit been a valid argument.