I, YHWH, the first, and the last, I am He.

beameup

Who has performed and done this,
calling the generations from the beginning?
I, the LORD
[YHWH], the first,
and with the last; I am he.

Isaiah 41:4 ESV

Thus says the LORD [YHWH], the King of Israel
and His Redeemer, the LORD [YHWH] of hosts:
“I am the first and I am the last;
besides me there is no god."

Isaiah 44:6 ESV

iamaberean

I, the LORD
[YHWH], the first,

Isa 41:4 Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first (Adam), and with the last (Jesus); I am he.

Isa 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts (Messiah, Jesus); I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Adam was the first man that became a living soul. He lost that life by being disobedient.

Jesus was the second man, and last, that became a living soul and by being obedient made a way for all to have eternal life.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
1Co 15:47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

beameup

Alef - Tav

בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָֽרֶץ׃

Last edited:

Elia

I, the LORD
[YHWH], the first,

Bs"d

And now the right translation, from the NIV, the name of God restored by me:

"This is what Y-H-W-H says— Israel’s King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God."

It is a mistake to give the "His" a capital like beameup does, because it refers back to ISRAEL, and not to God. So God is the king of Israel, and the redeemer of Israel. That is what "and his redeemer" means.

It is really very simple...

But then again, when you think that 1 + 1 + 1 = 1, then I understand that you cannot read such a simple text.

beameup

Bs"d

And now the right translation, from the NIV, the name of God restored by me:

"This is what Y-H-W-H says— Israel’s King and Redeemer, Y-H-W-H Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God."

It is a mistake to give the "His" a capital like beameup does, because it refers back to ISRAEL, and not to God. So God is the king of Israel, and the redeemer of Israel. That is what "and his redeemer" means.

Yes, Israel's redeemer... as in "Israel brought Israel through the Red Sea".
Lest we forget that "Israel" is the "redeemer" :confused: (of who, or what?):
1) It pleased God to punish Israel
2) Israel made his soul an offering for sin
3) Israel shall see the travail of his soul
4) Israel shall justify many
5) Israel shall bear their iniquities
6) Israel has poured out his soul unto death
7) Israel has born the sins of many
Isaiah 53 Jewish interpretation

בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָֽרֶץ׃

Elia

Isa 41:4 Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first (Adam), and with the last (Jesus); I am he.

Bs"d

Isaiah 41:4, NkJV: "‘I, Y-H-W-H, am the first; and with the last I am He.’”

What it says here, is that the one and only God Y-H-W-H who is one, that He is God with the first and the last.

Take good note that JC is nowhere to be found in this text. Just doesn't exist.

beameup

What is supposed to mean? אֵת is one of the most common words in the Hebrew Bible.

וְשָׁפַכְתִּי עַל־בֵּית דָּוִיד וְעַל יֹושֵׁב יְרוּשָׁלִַם רוּחַ חֵן וְתַחֲנוּנִים וְהִבִּיטוּ אֵלַי אֵת אֲשֶׁר־דָּקָרוּ וְסָפְדוּ עָלָיו כְּמִסְפֵּד עַל־הַיָּחִיד וְהָמֵר עָלָיו כְּהָמֵר עַֽל־הַבְּכֹֽור׃

“I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on [אֵת]> Me whom they have pierced;
and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn."
- Zechariah 12:10

chair

אֵת is one of the most common words in the Hebrew Bible. It appears close to 20 times in the first chapter of Genesis, and multiple times in nearly every chapter of the five books of Moses. Pick a chapter- try it. (I used Exodus 1)I am not even counting other forms of the word.

It looks like you are doing something really silly. The equivalent of saying that the word "the" in English has some special theological meaning.

beameup

אֵת is one of the most common words in the Hebrew Bible. It appears close to 20 times in the first chapter of Genesis, and multiple times in nearly every chapter of the five books of Moses. Pick a chapter- try it. (I used Exodus 1)I am not even counting other forms of the word.

It looks like you are doing something really silly. The equivalent of saying that the word "the" in English has some special theological meaning.

It "has meaning" or the ruach 'elohim would not have strategically placed it.

they will look on אֵת Me whom they have pierced - Who?

chair

It "has meaning" or the ruach 'elohim would not have strategically placed it.

they will look on אֵת Me whom they have pierced - Who?

It is not "strategically placed ". It is required by Hebrew grammar. Learn some Hebrew and you will see how silly this is.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Bs"d

What it says here, is that the one and only God Y-H-W-H who is one, that He is God with the first and the last.

thank you for your input.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Does the law require a redeemer to be next of kin?

daqq

Bs"d

Actually, in the Septuagint version of Exodus 3:14, the Father is "HO ON", that is, Ο ΩΝ (ο ων) which is of course, "He Who Is", or "He Who Exists", or "The Being", or "The One Who Exists", or "The Existing One". And "the last" whom He is "with" is called "ho erchomenos", the one whom Moshe promised was "to come", in other words, "the Prophet" of Deuteronomy 18:15-19 who was/is to come, "ο ερχομενος".

The Septuagint version of Isaiah 41:4 seems to confirm this understanding:

Isaiah 41:4 OG LXX
41:4 τις ενηργησεν και εποιησεν ταυτα εκαλεσεν αυτην ο καλων αυτην απο γενεων αρχης εγω θεος πρωτος και εις τα επερχομενα εγω ειμι

Luke 7:19 W/H
19 και προσκαλεσαμενος δυο τινας των μαθητων αυτου ο ιωαννης επεμψεν προς τον κυριον λεγων συ ει ο ερχομενος η ετερον προσδοκωμεν
19 And Yohanan calling unto him two of his disciples sent them to the Master, saying, Are you ο ερχομενος or look we for another?

So the Father alone is Ο ΩΝ and He is with "the last" who is ο ερχομενος.

beameup

Bs"d

Thus says the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel and its Holy One,
To the despised One,
To the One abhorred by the nation,
To the Servant of rulers,

[yet future]
“Kings will see and arise,
Princes will also bow down,
Because of the LORD who is faithful,
the Holy One of Israel who has chosen You[Israel].”

God's Truth

In the Old Testament, God calls HIMSELF THE FIRST AND THE LAST. That is exactly what Jesus calls himself in Revelation.

Isaiah 44:6 "This is what the LORD says--Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

Isaiah 48:12 "Listen to me, O Jacob, Israel, whom I have called: I am he; I am the first and I am the last.

JESUS calls HIMSELF the FIRST and the LAST in Revelation 1:17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.

Read Revelation 22:12 “Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.