I think we should nation build

lighthouse99

not many people seem to think we should have overthrown Saddam and all that

But i think we just didn't do it right. When we go in, we should just totally take over everything (to the winner go the spoils) and then, once there is no serious threat, we can hand things over

lighthouse99

problem is, they're in Russia's backyard

Russia can't win against the USA

so i would just take over, grab whatever land i could and it would be US property from then on, until i saw fit to give it back to the Iraqis, which who knows how long tht would be

:)

hey, why not, Russia does that kind of thing

as the Trumpster said (to Rand?): "Oh, so they can [do that] but we can't?"

:)

PureX

But i think we just didn't do it right. When we go in, we should just totally take over everything (to the winner go the spoils) and then, once there is no serious threat, we can hand things over
Just the opposite.

Back before we invaded Iraq, I heard an interview with a man that had spent some years living in Iraq, and operating a U.S. sponsored library in the capital. And he said that many young Iraqi men were coming in every day, hungry for information on how a democratic government works; particularly the style of democracy practiced in Europe and the U.S. But most of them could not read english, and there were almost no books written on that subject in arabic.

This man tried hard to convince the Clinton and then Bush administrations that if we would just send as many books as we could print into Iraq, written in arabic, explaining the basic functions of a democratic republic, we could have fueled a revolution that would have toppled Saddam without our having to send in one single U. S. soldier. They were that curious, and desirous of real democracy, and they already had a relatively free market economy.

But of course our government ignored the idea. Printing books doesn't make any money for the military industrial conglomerates that own our politicians. So they had other plans (and now we all know what they were). So nothing was done about the books. And a nation was destroyed. And ISIS grew up in the rubble and hate we left behind.

There are lots of different ways to "nation build", but guns and bombs are not one of them. Because you don't win the hearts and minds of anyone while your killing members of their families, and their neighbors, and their friends, and destroying their homes and businesses.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
if i were pres, he wouldn't have a choice. I would bomb the crud out of ISIS and Syria and take Syria and Iraq both

they would belong to the US

(Sorry, got a little carried away there) :)

Oh. You wish to have ownership of them. You do realize that babies as well as unborn babies would die in the bombings as well, correct?

How does that stance coincide with your claims of being prolife?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

Hand things over to whom? The people left after we carpet bombed and killed people indiscriminately? I'm sure all the people left will be happy with us.

Do we need to make sure they are the correct religion? Do we rebuild factories and infrastructure.

Your lack of understanding is amazing.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Oh. You wish to have ownership of them. You do realize that babies as well as unborn babies would die in the bombings as well, correct?

Well, most of the people in Syria are sorta dark, so yeah.

Indiscriminately killing unborn as well as infants? Not a problem, just following the Genesis god when he got mad and caused the big flood.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Winning a military victory is the easy part - trying to dictate to Near/Middle East nations how to reconfigure their government and society has proven to be an impossible task.

Americans would take exception to an outside nation trying to impose its culture and ideology onto them - why would they expect these nations to react otherwise?

PureX

Americans would take exception to an outside nation trying to impose its culture and ideology onto them - why would they expect these nations to react otherwise?
Because we are self-deluded idiots, most of us. We think our way of life is so superior to all others that we can't even imagine that there would be people who don't want to live in a land governed by greed. In fact, we are such self-deluded idiots that most of us don't even realize that we ARE living in a land governed by greed. We think we're living in a John Wayne movie.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

False! there is no mandate for America to deploy every time there is injustice in the world, and whether you or the rest of the neocons get it, those petty dictators keep the peace. This nation building crap has killed more people than it has saved, not to mention destabilized the entire world. Let people work out their own problems

drbrumley

False! there is no mandate for America to deploy every time there is injustice in the world, and whether you or the rest of the neocons get it, those petty dictators keep the peace. This nation building crap has killed more people than it has saved, not to mention destabilized the entire world. Let people work out their own problems

No doubt. Great post.

Zeke

Israel was built for that very reason, a Hegelian Trojan horse of the west.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

i know you know it, rocketdude, but i'm gonna say it anyway

it's all about oil

nobody gives a crap about all the injustice in the heart of africa or asia or south america in regions that have no strategic value

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Because we are self-deluded idiots, most of us. We think our way of life is so superior to all others that we can't even imagine that there would be people who don't want to live in a land governed by greed. In fact, we are such self-deluded idiots that most of us don't even realize that we ARE living in a land governed by greed. We think we're living in a John Wayne movie.

I somewhat agree, yet not with the direction you head towards. and conclude they have a higher moral ground. All nations are lead by those who can lead, thus there is always some element of a power elite. The difference is we in a democracy attempt to place value on people, while in a theocracy, or monarchy, or aristocracy, that element of greed, manifested as power, tends to sway in the direction of what benefits those in power.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Do like Ann Coulter said? Conquer and make them become Catholics, Republicanchick?

That is what she said? Sometimes I think she is a surreptitious comedian! If there was a way to unMuslum them, that would be swell.:cool: Making then Catholics would seem like something Ann would say, it that Catholics, in terms of ideology, may be believed to lead to lead a group towards conformity and solidarity. This may be where Republicanchick comes into the picture. :rolleyes: A wacky contradiction, a self promoting member of the collective faith preaching individuality.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

No doubt. Great post.

Ditto :plain:

i know you know it, rocketdude, but i'm gonna say it anyway

it's all about oil

nobody gives a crap about all the injustice in the heart of africa or asia or south america in regions that have no strategic value

Well...Petrodollars, to be exact. :plain: