I think taxes should be spent to fulfill Matthew 25:31

republicanchick

Mark 12:17
17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.​

Paying your taxes is rendering unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's.

Feeding the hungry and clothing the naked is rendering unto God the things that are God's.

There is a vast difference between you relying on someone else to forcibly take your money and hoping they use it for good and you personally feeding the hungry and clothing the naked.

straw man b/c no one said otherwise.

john w

Hall of Fame
Jesus said many things generally which still stand.

He also said things to individuals at certain times, which were pointed for that person at that moment, but is not general teaching

To use the second to discount the first is dishonest.

The context of this statement is the question is what must i do inherit eternal life?

In response to which Jesus says the bar for works based salvation as impossibly high.

This does not mean that the moral and general teaching of Jesus is not good for us or that it should be ignored by a believer, which you seem to use this scripture to insinuate time and time again.

Works, grace and faith are intrinsically linked, and to see them as separate or even contrary is dangerous to a good biblical worldview

Quite irrelevant, as I stay on topic, her "argument"-

"Jesus said.............................."-republicanchick

"Jesus said" to sell all you have. Peter, the 11, the early Acts believers, all did it. Do it.

I thought so.

genuineoriginal

straw man b/c no one said otherwise.

That is not a strawman argument, it is applying a standard technique to demonstrate that your statement about taxes results in an untenable result.

Reductio ad absurdum (Latin: "reduction to absurdity"; pl.: reductiones ad absurdum), also known as argumentum ad absurdum (Latin: argument to absurdity), is a common form of argument which seeks to demonstrate that a statement is true by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its denial,[1] or in turn to demonstrate that a statement is false by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its acceptance. ... First recognized and studied in classical Greek philosophy (the Latin term derives from the Greek "εις άτοπον απαγωγή" or eis atopon apagoge, "reduction to the impossible", for example in Aristotle's Prior Analytics),[1] this technique has been used throughout history in both formal mathematical and philosophical reasoning, as well as informal debate.​

The government taking your money (taxes) will not be recognized by Jesus as if you personally clothed the naked and fed the hungry.

Also, Jesus said to visit those in prison.
The government spends your taxes to put people in prison and to pay for the guards that keep them there.

Is a guard walking around in a prison the same as you visiting a person in prison?

republicanchick

The government taking your money (taxes) will not be recognized by Jesus as if you personally clothed the naked and fed the hungry.
How do u know? Does it say in the bible that Jesus will never accept your tax money given so the poor can be cared for is worthless? Where?? show me the passage. We cahtolics don't believe all God's truth can be found in the Bible but you non-Catholics do
Also, Jesus said to visit those in prison.
The government spends your taxes to put people in prison and to pay for the guards that keep them there.

Is a guard walking around in a prison the same as you visiting a person in prison?

no one is stopping anyone from visiting a prison to help someone.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need gummit to help take care of the poor. Are you willing to see what would happen if there were not more entitlemnets? moot point, I know..

I would be more than happy to get rid of all entitlemnts if I knew that people would care for the downtrodden ou of the goodness of hteir hearts... and maybe they would. The problem is that we don't know such a world... we cannot predict what would happen.

Still, i say we should do something to END the entitlement pograms..

it's just that neither party seems to have an answer or ... and/or does not want to talk about in an election cycle..

___

oatmeal

Jesus said to clothe the naked and feed the hungry.. as per Mt 25:31

I don't believe we have an obligation to enable the downtrodden to live in LUXURY... to be "equal" with the rich

but we do have an obligation to meet the basic needs of those who... for one reason or another cannot... do as well as others.. disability or whatever...

++

Don't you trust your church to do so?

genuineoriginal

How do u know? Does it say in the bible that Jesus will never accept your tax money given so the poor can be cared for is worthless? Where?? show me the passage.
Genesis 4:7

We cahtolics don't believe all God's truth can be found in the Bible but you non-Catholics do
Yes, Catholics often do not believe God's truth that can be found in the Bible.

no one is stopping anyone from visiting a prison to help someone.
Unfortunately for your argument, the government taking your taxes does stop you from using that money to help the poor and needy.

I would be more than happy to get rid of all entitlemnts if I knew that people would care for the downtrodden ou of the goodness of hteir hearts...
Government entitlements makes people despise their neighbor and refuse to have mercy on the poor.

Proverbs 14:21
21 He that despiseth his neighbour sinneth: but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he.​

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus said to clothe the naked and feed the hungry.. as per Mt 25:31

I don't believe we have an obligation to enable the downtrodden to live in LUXURY... to be "equal" with the rich

but we do have an obligation to meet the basic needs of those who... for one reason or another cannot... do as well as others.. disability or whatever...

++

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Mat 25:31 and following, dovetails with:

Joe 3:2 I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land.

These verses concern the returned Messiah's judgement upon the nations with regard to how they treat the Jews during Jacob's Trouble/The Great Tribulation.

They have nothing to do with Christian benevolence during the present timeframe.

republicanchick

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

Mat 25:31 and following, dovetails with:

Joe 3:2 I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land.

These verses concern the returned Messiah's judgement upon the nations with regard to how they treat the Jews during Jacob's Trouble/The Great Tribulation.

They have nothing to do with Christian benevolence during the present timeframe.

I will take the interpretation of Christ's ONLY Church, Thank you

++​

republicanchick

In the Apocalypse (book of Revelation), Jesus directed letters to be written to seven churches, and the Church of Rome was not one of them.

So, what scriptural evidence do you have that Jesus only had one Church?

he said "I will build my Church [not churches] and the gates of Hell will not prevail against IT [not them]"

mt 16:18

republicanchick

Jesus keeps His promises.
But Jesus never made a promise to the Church of Rome.

No, that is your apostasy speaking.

you are so wrong and you don't even want to find out how wrong you are by studying Catholicism from a Catholic.. so you listen to all the anticatholics instead..

well, that is your choice, to remain ignorant and bigoted

genuineoriginal

twisted logic is no logic at all

if u study history, you will see that there was ONE Christian Church in the world for 1521 years when Luther came along. And guess what?

there still is only ONE true Church
You calling it a "Church" only proves that it is not the ekklesia that Jesus established.