I think taxes should be spent to fulfill Matthew 25:31

republicanchick

Jesus said to clothe the naked and feed the hungry.. as per Mt 25:31

I don't believe we have an obligation to enable the downtrodden to live in LUXURY... to be "equal" with the rich

but we do have an obligation to meet the basic needs of those who... for one reason or another cannot... do as well as others.. disability or whatever...

++

oatmeal

I don't believe we have an obligation to enable the downtrodden to live in LUXURY... to be "equal" with the rich

but we do have an obligation to meet the basic needs of those who... for one reason or another cannot... do as well as others.. disability or whatever...

++

Why would you trust the government?

In God we trust!

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

++

Define *basic needs*. Food? Water? Shelter? Transportation?

Define *luxury*. Food? Water? Shelter? Transportation?

Crowns&Laurels

BANNED
Banned
Helping the poor is not as important as the turf and giant gas guzzler in the front yard.

Because they 'worked' for it (they get paid more for the same work) , and everyone else can do the same (they cannot).
The wealthy also tend to think they are better then others, which nails the coffin pretty tight.

Study up on ancient Roman society- we haven't really fell too far from the tree. Jesus used this sort of society as a spectacle for one to relate his warnings of wealth on Earth.

Levolor

++

I see where you are coming from and agree that all need to be helping the less-fortunate.

However, I believe that one of this country's founding principles was/is that there is a separation of church and state so that the government couldn't impose a state religion. Hallelujah.

But, let's go further than that and think of how that would be handled?

The government is/has not been very efficient with their programs, maybe they are better now, I don't know. I remember in days past that there were people collecting (welfare, food stamps, etc) benefits from several different states.

Would the government be on top it when it came to what you are proposing? I have my doubts.

Then also, I think it is better that the churches continue to help the poor. They are closer to the people, and can actually contribute to meeting the needs of the community.

Lord, may there be more churches opening instead of closing for the less fortunate are not decreasing in numbers.

john w

Hall of Fame
"Jesus said.............................."-republicanchick

"Jesus said" to sell all you have.

I thought so.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

++

The verse you quoted, doesn't correspond to what you said.

Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the 3 holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory.

This Charming Manc

As I said you have no understanding of the scripture you keep quoting.

Whats more is you have no desire to have any understanding of the scripture, you are as happy as a hog in mud with your misreading of the scripture.

some questions for you

Who did Jesus say that to?
What question had young man asked?
Why did Jesus reply that way?
How does that apply to you and me?

No, you missed it. I'll slow it down for you, chump. She "argued:"

"Jesus said..."

Well, this "Jesus" she cites, also said to sell all you have.

Do it.

I thought so.

republicanchick

Define *basic needs*. Food? Water? Shelter? Transportation?

Define *luxury*. Food? Water? Shelter? Transportation?

eveyone should have a way to get out of the extreme weather.. Maybe part of the infrastructure we pay for in taxes could be spent on simple one room shelters people could go to when they find themselves homeless... maybe built by the govenment (maybe not)... maintained by private citizens..

There are many programs that give the homeless food and other necessities but not many that give them shelter.. .at least not where i have been.. haven't seen this

++

john w

Hall of Fame
As I said you have no understanding of the scripture you keep quoting..

Thanks-I take that as a compliment!

Whats more is you have no desire to have any understanding of the scripture, you are as happy as a hog in mud with your misreading of the scripture

Thanks, Oprah, for the psycho babble.

some questions for you

Who did Jesus say that to?
What question had young man asked?
Why did Jesus reply that way?
How does that apply to you and me?

Quite irrelevant, as I stay on topic, her "argument"-

I thought so.

genuineoriginal

I think taxes should be spent to fulfill Matthew 25:31

Matthew 25:41-45
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.​

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, I paid my taxes, doesn't that count?
Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.​

republicanchick

Matthew 25:41-45
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.​

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, I paid my taxes, doesn't that count?

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.​

and considering how high taxes are, the Lord would probably say, Yes, that was more than enough.

+++

genuineoriginal

and considering how high taxes are, the Lord would probably say, Yes, that was more than enough.

Mark 12:17
17 And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.​

Paying your taxes is rendering unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's.

Feeding the hungry and clothing the naked is rendering unto God the things that are God's.

There is a vast difference between you relying on someone else to forcibly take your money and hoping they use it for good and you personally feeding the hungry and clothing the naked.

This Charming Manc

Quite irrelevant, as I stay on topic, her "argument"-

I thought so.

Jesus said many things generally which still stand.

He also said things to individuals at certain times, which were pointed for that person at that moment, but is not general teaching

To use the second to discount the first is dishonest.

The context of this statement is the question is what must i do inherit eternal life?

In response to which Jesus says the bar for works based salvation as impossibly high.

This does not mean that the moral and general teaching of Jesus is not good for us or that it should be ignored by a believer, which you seem to use this scripture to insinuate time and time again.

Works, grace and faith are intrinsically linked, and to see them as separate or even contrary is dangerous to a good biblical worldview