How important is the Sabbath?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you have a verse for that? I have never seen anything like that in the bible. The body is a temple for God's spirit. Christ said his body is a temple. Christ also said he is not spirit.

The word for spirit is translated as ghost in the KJV. Jesus said he was not a ghost.

daqq

And of course what I said about broma and the teachings of Paul are true; so essentially, without checking into what was said, Clete has now labeled the true teachings of Paul as the teachings of a lunatic because Clete does not understand Paul. First of all broma does not always mean physical food as Paul employs it for spiritual food in a spiritual sense:

1 Corinthians 3:2 KJV
2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat:
[1033 broma] for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

1 Corinthians 10:3-4 KJV
3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
[1033 broma]
4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Secondly broma typically only concerns halachic foods either allowed in the Torah, (or disallowed depending on the context in which it is used). Therefore when Clete applies broma to PIG FLESH Clete shows not only a complete misunderstanding of what Paul is saying but likewise that Clete walks according to the carnal belly of the flesh in understanding.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
NT 1033: βρῶμα
meat, food.
From the base of bibrosko; food (literally or figuratively), especially (ceremonially) articles allowed or forbidden by the Jewish law -- meat, victuals.

There are scant places where a word for actual flesh is used and that word is kreas, as shown in the following passage, where the understanding of Clete is refuted by Paul himself. It is fairly clear from the passage, if one understands what broma refers to, that what Paul speaks about are foods allowable in the Torah but having rather been offered in gentile or heathen settings, ("idol's temple", etc.). This has nothing to do with eating PIG FLESH. :crackup:

1 Corinthians 8:10-13 KJV
10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
13 Wherefore, if meat
[1033 broma] make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh [2907 kreas] while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

And again elsewhere in the same context Paul refutes yet again the understanding of Clete:

Romans 14:20-21 KJV
20 For meat
[1033 broma] destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
21 It is good neither to eat flesh,
[2907 kreas] nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

And even at that the KJV here is a terrible rendering:

Romans 14:21 ASV
21 It is good not to eat flesh,
[2907 kreas] nor to drink wine, nor to do anything whereby thy brother stumbleth.

The Young's Literal Bible says it plainly and uprightly:

Romans 14:21 YLT
21 Right it is not to eat flesh,
[2907 kreas] nor to drink wine, nor to do anything in which thy brother doth stumble, or is made to fall, or is weak.

"Right" herein above is kalos, that is, virtuous or upright in this context.

IT IS RIGHT NOT TO EAT FLESH! says Paul.
YOU ARE A LUNATIC FOR SAYING SO! says Clete. :chuckle:

clefty

[FONT="]Exodus 20:6[/FONT]
[FONT="]And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Exodus 20:8[/FONT]
[FONT="]“[B]Remember the Sabbath[/B] day by keeping it holy. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Exodus 31:17-16[/FONT]
[B][FONT="]Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath,[/FONT][/B][FONT="] to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. [B]It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: [/B]for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Romans 9:6[/FONT]
[FONT="]It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. [/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Revelation 12:17[/FONT]
[FONT="]And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with [B]the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God[/B], and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Revelation 14:12[/FONT]
[FONT="]Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.[/FONT]
[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]Revelation 22:14[/FONT]
[FONT="]Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life,[/FONT][/B][FONT="] and may enter in through the gates into the city.[/FONT]

"The Protestants claim to stand upon the written word only. They profess to hold the Scripture alone as the standard of faith. They justify their revolt by the plea that the Church has apostatized from the written word and follows tradition. Now the Protestants' claim that they stand upon the written word only, is not true. Their profession of holding the Scripture alone as the standard of faith, is false. Proof: The written word explicitly enjoins the observance of the seventh day as the Sabbath. They do not observe the seventh day, but reject it. If they do truly hold the Scripture alone as their standard, they would be observing the seventh day as is enjoined in the Scripture throughout. Yet they not only reject the observance of the Sabbath enjoined in the written word, but they have adopted and do practice the observance of Sunday, for which they have only the tradition of the Church. Consequently the claim of 'Scripture alone as the standard' fails; and the doctrine of 'Scripture and tradition' as essential, is fully established, the Protestants themselves being judges."

http://www.remnantofgod.org/romeadmits.htm

Having changed both times and laws...come out of her My people...

CherubRam

Actually Mia ton sabbaton is "first of seven".

Seven what? Days of the week or first of seven sabbaths in the count to Pentecost?

The first of the week is Tuesday?

You are losing me.

The Passover floats on a calendar with first days through the fixed calendar of Sunday's.

Are you saying that the biblical first day that year was a Tuesday on the fixed one?

That SUNDAY the 15th was also a rest day. NO WORK was to be done. Two rest days together make the word Sabbath plural. The Greek script of Matt 28:1 does not have the word "DAY," because it was added. THAT first of the week would have been Tuesday morning.

clefty

The Catholics changed Gods Sabbath day law.

Yes they claim that...but they also claim they were given the authority to do so...

Oh and I hear many claim that they wrote the bible...which makes them the only true authority on it.

But the Sunday counterfeit is not just Roman and began before the Catholics became their inc.

achduke

The word for spirit is translated as ghost in the KJV. Jesus said he was not a ghost.

Modern versions of the bible including the NKJV translate it as spirit. In any case the word Jesus uses and the word ghost/spirit are all the same origin word of pneuma in Greek. In NKJV there are only two translations left as ghost. They are Matt 14:26 and Mark 6:49 which are translated from the word phantasma. This is not the word Christ used in Luke 24:39. In Luke 24:39 in Greek it uses the word pneuma which is the same word for other references of spirit in the Greek. Christ said he is not pneuma but flesh and bones even after his resurrected body. In John 4:24 Christ said God is Spirit. This is from the same Greek word pneuma/spirit that he was not. Jesus is not spirit/pneuma in his very own words.

achduke

Actually Mia ton sabbaton is "first of seven".

Seven what? Days of the week or first of seven sabbaths in the count to Pentecost?

The first of the week is Tuesday?

You are losing me.

The Passover floats on a calendar with first days through the fixed calendar of Sunday's.

Are you saying that the biblical first day that year was a Tuesday on the fixed one?

I believe the references of "Mia Ton Sabbaton" are all a bad translation. It makes more sense to mean one of the Sabbaths instead of the 1st of the week. Christ died just before Passover and was risen on the first of fruits. The time between the first fruits and Shavuot are a count down of weeks(7 sevens) until Shavuot/penecost. "Mia ton sabbaton" is making reference to one of the Sabbaths here and not Sunday in all these cases.

clefty

Modern versions of the bible including the NKJV translate it as spirit. In any case the word Jesus uses and the word ghost/spirit are all the same origin word of pneuma in Greek. In NKJV there are only two translations left as ghost. They are Matt 14:26 and Mark 6:49 which are translated from the word phantasma. This is not the word Christ used in Luke 24:39. In Luke 24:39 in Greek it uses the word pneuma which is the same word for other references of spirit in the Greek. Christ said he is not pneuma but flesh and bones even after his resurrected body. In John 4:24 Christ said God is Spirit. This is from the same Greek word pneuma/spirit that he was not. Jesus is not spirit/pneuma in his very own words.

But the Spirit can become flesh...but the flesh can not become spirit...unless it is of Him.

The Word became flesh as Abraham washed His feet.

Ahhh yes foot washing...not so readily embraced as the idea of His Spirit being eaten as flesh.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus is not spirit/pneuma in his very own words.

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!”

Flesh and bones require blood, flesh and blood cannot enter the family.

Romans 8:8-9 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

clefty

I believe the references of "Mia Ton Sabbaton" are all a bad translation. It makes more sense to mean one of the Sabbaths instead of the 1st of the week. Christ died just before Passover and was risen on the first of fruits. The time between the first fruits and Shavuot are a count down of weeks(7 sevens) until Shavuot/penecost. "Mia ton sabbaton" is making reference to one of the Sabbaths here and not Sunday in all these cases.

I struggle with it too...

but "was risen" on first fruits does not mean He rose on that day. Just He was risen on that day. As He was risen also yesterday. He is a risen Savior.

achduke

But the Spirit can become flesh...but the flesh can not become spirit...unless it is of Him.

The Word became flesh as Abraham washed His feet.

Ahhh yes foot washing...not so readily embraced as the idea of His Spirit being eaten as flesh.

Body/flesh are a temple. Spirit can enter into the temple. Christ said his body is a temple. The spirit told Paul our bodies are temples.

achduke

Romans 8:8-9 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Romans talks of the fleshly mind vs the spiritual mind. If you have the spirit of God in you then you are in the Spirit. If you do not have the Spirit of God then you are in the flesh.

clefty

Being in the Spirit and having the Spirit dwelling in us does not mean we no longer have flesh and bones.

Or else John the revelator would have difficulty typing his revelations as he was in the spirit.

achduke

I struggle with it too...

but "was risen" on first fruits does not mean He rose on that day. Just He was risen on that day. As He was risen also yesterday. He is a risen Savior.

True. He only had to be presented/wave offering on first fruits. He would have most likely have risen on the Sabbath.

Still just the same. Luther translated Mia Ton Sabbaton as one of the sabbaths in at least one place.