Honor God's Son or Perish

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Then what did, and why?

Paul said something distinctive about his ministry had not before been revealed by God to anyone, but had been revealed THROUGH (not "by") Paul.

Do you know what that previously hidden information (musterion) was?
I was talking about the gospel.

Start with Jesus. Read about Him. Learn even about the use of the term gospel.

There are the twelve apostles. The twelve disciples.

Paul is considered an apostle as well. Paul did preach the gospel, and his gospel. You can also read about the life of Paul.

From the words hidden and ages.

1 Corinthians 2:7 NASB - 7 but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory;

Ephesians 3:9 NASB - 9 and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery which for ages has been hidden in God who created all things;

Colossians 1:26 NASB - 26 that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints,

See also: mystery.

This is what Jesus said to Ananias about Paul.

Acts 9:15-16 NASB - 15 But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; 16 for I will show him how much he must suffer for My name's sake."

It is my hope and prayer that the scriptures become clear or plain to you. That you can see them for what they are.

Do you believe the Spirit of God was first poured out on believing Jews? I encourage you to read the Gospels and the Acts of the Apostles.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
So which is it.
I don't understand your question.

Galatians 1:1-24 NASB - 1 Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead), 2 and all the brethren who are with me, To the churches of Galatia: 3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be the glory forevermore. Amen. 6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed! 10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ. 11 For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. 13 For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it; 14 and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. 15 But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased 16 to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus. 18 Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him fifteen days. 19 But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord's brother. 20 (Now in what I am writing to you, I assure you before God that I am not lying.) 21 Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia. 22 I was still unknown by sight to the churches of Judea which were in Christ; 23 but only, they kept hearing, "He who once persecuted us is now preaching the faith which he once tried to destroy." 24 And they were glorifying God because of me.

Romans 2:16 NASB - 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

Romans 16:25 NASB - 25 Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret for long ages past,

2 Timothy 2:8 NASB - 8 Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descendant of David, according to my gospel,

Did the gospel exist before Paul? That is the question that you need to seek out and or answer.

SimpleMan77

Paul said, "The life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" Galatians 2:20.

I probably could have done a better job of framing my question with a better hypothetical. What about this:

Say a guy is living with his girlfriend outside of marriage. In today's culture many people have never heard it's wrong.

He hears the word preached, and the preacher says "your salvation has nothing to do with your works". He believes, and one day as he is reading the Bible he reads that fornication is a sin, a work of the flesh.

He come to you and says "I see in scripture that God says fornication is a sin. I want to please Him, but I am afraid if I take steps to change my life to be obedient to God's desires I will be guilty of trying to become justified by works".

What do you tell him?

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Robert Pate

Banned
I probably could have done a better job of framing my question with a better hypothetical. What about this:

Say a guy is living with his girlfriend outside of marriage. In today's culture many people have never heard it's wrong.

He hears the word preached, and the preacher says "your salvation has nothing to do with your works". He believes, and one day as he is reading the Bible he reads that fornication is a sin, a work of the flesh.

He come to you and says "I see in scripture that God says fornication is a sin. I want to please Him, but I am afraid if I take steps to change my life to be obedient to God's desires I will be guilty of trying to become justified by works".

What do you tell him?

Turning from sin to Christ should never be thought of as a work that will justify.

The Gospel calls for holy living, but our holy living is not the basis for our salvation.

The only basis of our salvation is the doing and the dying of Jesus and not our obedience.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

What do you tell him?

Galatians 3:3 KJV -

SimpleMan77

Galatians 3:3 KJV -

For the sake of others reading, Galatians 3:3 says:

Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

So the I'm sure the new convert would take that scripture as meaning that nothing he does in his flesh can get him any closer to perfection or closer to God, so there is obviously no need to obey that scripture. His flesh likes that anyway, so win-win. Continue in sin so grace can abound it seems.

SimpleMan77

Turning from sin to Christ should never be thought of as a work that will justify.

The Gospel calls for holy living, but our holy living is not the basis for our salvation.

The only basis of our salvation is the doing and the dying of Jesus and not our obedience.

So you are saying obedience, if it isn't done to try to justify ourselves, and isn't done with us thinking it is the basis for our salvation, is good, right?

So would you say it's how we feel about our obedience that makes them either "works" or a "result of grace at work in our lives". Would it fall under what Paul said, when he said it's "not I, but Christ that lives within me"?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
For the sake of others reading, Galatians 3:3 says:

Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

So the I'm sure the new convert would take that scripture as meaning that nothing he does in his flesh can get him any closer to perfection or closer to God, so there is obviously no need to obey that scripture. His flesh likes that anyway, so win-win. Continue in sin so grace can abound it seems.

Ephesians 1:13 KJV - by putting the arrow over the scripture it pulls it up to read -

Robert Pate

Banned
I do believe Paul. The gospel did not begin with him. He is the Apostle to the Gentiles. There is only one gospel. However, consider that the truth has been proclaimed to both Jew and Gentile. "He who worked effectually". Galatians 2:7-10 NASB.

I accept the scripture Robert Pate.

Do you accept the law as good? No one is saved by the law. You can find these things in scripture.

Do you obey God's commands?

You are justified by the blood of Jesus. You are justified by faith. You cannot be justified by the Law.

Jesus never sinned.

We should not sin either.

Do you obey God?

What is the role of the Holy Spirit in your life, and in the life of the believer?

Do you believe that all believers have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them?

There are those who believe, and profess or have faith. We are not to judge, but we do know that salvation is important. In what way can we judge? Can or does anyone judge anyone?

God is the Judge, and He appointed Jesus to be the judge.

How are we to understand Romans 8:1-2 NASB?

How does a person know if they are saved?

Can you help someone to know if they are saved? Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.

Assurance of salvation, eternal security, once saved always saved.

Work out your salvation with fear and trembling. Is this for the individual?

See Romans 13:11 NASB. These verses should be read in context.

What does it mean to be sealed by the Holy Spirit?

Are you baptised? Are you baptised by the Holy Spirit?

What does it mean to be filled with the Spirit? What about for the Holy Spirit to come upon someone?

Do all who believe or have faith have the Holy Spirit?

Romans 8:9 NASB.

If you are under grace you are not under law. We should obey God. We should obey God's Law, even His commands, and the governing authorities.

See Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB.

The new covenant came in Jesus Christ.

How do you know what prophesies of scripture have been fulfilled? How can we grow in our understanding of scripture?

Sent from my SM-G900T using TheologyOnline mobile app

The law is good because it reveals the nature and the Character of God.

The law is good because it convicts sinners of their need for Christ.

But the law is not for the Christian. The Christian is called to live by the Spirit of Christ and not the letter of the law, "For the letter (law) kills, but the Spirit gives life" 2 Corinthians 3:6.

Jesus taught the law to reveal the nature and character of God. But the law also revealed that we don't measure up to God's standards.

This is why Paul wrote, "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23.

We are called to live our lives before God as sinners, always in need of forgiveness, always in need of mercy and grace. We never reach a point where we can say that we have arrived.

You can't do or keep the law, no one can, except Jesus. He was the epitome of God's holy law.

All that Jesus did in his life and his death was for your justification, Romans 3:26. We are called to enter into his rest. We rest in his righteousness and in his atonement for our sins, Hebrews 4:10.

SimpleMan77

But the law is not for the Christian. The Christian is called to live by the Spirit of Christ and not the letter of the law, "For the letter (law) kills, but the Spirit gives life" 2 Corinthians 3:6.

Jesus taught the law to reveal the nature and character of God. But the law also revealed that we don't measure up to God's standards.

This is why Paul wrote, "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23.

We are called to live our lives before God as sinners, always in need of forgiveness, always in need of mercy and grace. We never reach a point where we can say that we have arrived.

You can't do or keep the law, no one can, except Jesus. He was the epitome of God's holy law.

All that Jesus did in his life and his death was for your justification, Romans 3:26. We are called to enter into his rest. We rest in his righteousness and in his atonement for our sins, Hebrews 4:10.

When you understand the difference between law and grace it all makes sense. The law says "honor God above all", "don't steal", "don't kill", etc, but the thrust of the law is love. If you truly love God you'll be true to Him, and if you truly love others you won't harm them or do things that cause them to stumble.

Jesus said that all the law was contained in 2 commandments: love God with everything you are, and love your fellow-man as yourself.

The problem with the law wasn't that it required people to love, it was that it tried to impose that change from the outside in. It was a list of commandments that tried to dictate love. Love doesn't work that way, so the law was flawed and had to be replaced.

Grace comes along and 1)forgives our sins, and 2) fills us with God's Spirit before we are like him at all

Paul said it's like we look in a mirror, and instead of seeing our filth, we see His Glory, and when we see His Glory we are changed into the same image.

That's why Paul said "Faith worketh by love". That's why he said "the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost".

Grace imputes righteousness to us we don't have, and through that changes us to live lives of love.

"Thou shalt not steal" is good, but not if it is an external law that we are scared to break, while our hearts are scheming a way to steal when we won't get caught.

Grace is designed so it changes us so we love everyone so much we wouldn't dream of taking from them something they worked so hard for.

Same result, but totally different approach.

Last edited:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

God will help you with your understanding. I am thinking that we should pay attention to what we say.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Which is why you shouldn't try to instruct others. You can't even see the contradiction in what you just said.
Please explain. Also, you didn't answer the question I asked you. Did you read the entire post you are here responding to?

Robert Pate

Banned
To what measure of honor, believing and faith in His Son Jesus Christ is required from you
to be acceptable to God for Him to save you?

Saving faith is always faith in Christ. If you have faith in Christ you will not need a religion. If you have to have a religion, chances are you don't have faith in Christ.