Hey everyone, I'm Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

El DLo

So last night I stumbled upon this forum (to be honest I don't actually recall how as it was far later than I should have been awake). Well at first I was skeptical, thinking that it would be another message board full of closed-minded individuals that bash everything that they don't represent. To my surprise I discovered that this site is full of people of every religion and denomination of every religion. I never thought that in a place called "Theology Forum" I would find a place where I could freely post as an Atheist and not be automatically ridiculed for my beliefs.

That said, as my topic suggests, my name is Dan. I'm a tad younger than most people on this site are from what I can tell (I'm a freshman in college), but don't take that to mean that I'm ignorant to what I'm talking about. As you can see, my beliefs are rooted in science and reasoning as I am an Atheist. There are many Atheists out there who are blatantly ignorant and who take a stance of sheer superiority and closed-minded arrogance to the thoughts and beliefs of any other people. I am not one of those Atheists.

I make it an integral part of life to understand the beliefs and practices of other cultures. I come here, not as a rambunctious teenager who is dead-set on converting every last person to an Atheist, but as an educated young man who understands and respects the beliefs of all other people on here.

In a similar vein of understanding, I do not expect to have people attempt to convert me. I understand that beliefs are something that people hold dear, but I know, and everyone should know as well that religious beliefs in any form are something that a person has to find for themselves. Generally speaking, I have heard, read, and understand many of the ideals of several religions that people hold to be absolute truth, and they just don't do it to me.

A little back story on how I arrived at Atheism (as someone is bound to ask me); I started life in a Jewish family. My family was semi-conservative, not excessively, but with some regard to the practices. We kept Kosher in the house, separated our dishware to correspond with the Kosher ideal, went to temple on the high holidays, and enrolled me in Hebrew school. Throughout the entire venture I never entirely bought into the whole religion thing, and when I became old enough to understand what it was that I was reading, I just couldn't find myself a reason to believe what I was reading as truth, and as I delved into the realm of science and reasoning, I found that taking a literal and objective stance on life and the universe was something that appealed to my nature much more than religion could.

Besides that, I'm a musician with a passion for 70s rock, a fanatic of ancient history, and an avid enthusiast of technology. I'm here to find good discussion, not make enemies, so feel free to ask me whatever you please about my beliefs or my upbringing, and you can expect to see me around here more often.

-Dan (El DLo)

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
...so feel free to ask me whatever you please about my beliefs or my upbringing, and you can expect to see me around here more often.
Okies. Let's start here...
In a similar vein of understanding, I do not expect to have people attempt to convert me. I understand that beliefs are something that people hold dear, but I know, and everyone should know as well that religious beliefs in any form are something that a person has to find for themselves.
Am I interpreting this correctly as a refusal to allow your beliefs to be challenged?

Welcome to TOL. ;)

El DLo

Oh not in the slightest. I welcome for anyone to change my realm of thought, I just expect it to be done in a civilized and factual manner. Far too often I see "The bible clearly says...". I know what the Bible says, and I do not view it as a book of truths, so if someone wishes to challenge my beliefs, it's going to take more than scripture. That's all that I meant by that statement.

fool

Hall of Fame
Howdy.
So, where are you at on;
Abortion
Age of the Earth
Assination of JFK
Moon landings
9/11
H1N1
Bigfoot
Aliens
Birth Certificates
Miricles
Ghosts
Demons
Hula hoops
Microwave ovens
?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Oh not in the slightest. I welcome for anyone to change my realm of thought, I just expect it to be done in a civilized and factual manner. Far too often I see "The bible clearly says...". I know what the Bible says, and I do not view it as a book of truths, so if someone wishes to challenge my beliefs, it's going to take more than scripture. That's all that I meant by that statement.

I like you already. :D

You probably won't like me much but that's absolutely okay. As long as I can bring something more than tater salad to your cook out, I'll be happy. :thumb:

El DLo

Abortion - Pro Choice. Not to say I'm in favor of abortion, but it's the mother's decision to make.

Age of the Earth - Billions and billions of years old. I believe in the big bang formation of the universe.

Assination of JFK - A tragedy? If you're asking if I believe it was a conspiracy, I just think it was a heated assassination.

Moon landings - Real.

9/11 - Completely caused by terrorists, though I do believe America saw SOME signs of it coming in some regard.

H1N1 - Completely overblown and non-fatal in almost all cases.

Bigfoot - Fabricated photos (though who knows for sure?)

Aliens - Strong believer in the existence of extraterrestrial life in some form, though extremely doubtful of their existence on earth (but not dismissing the idea of alien influence on the beginning of civilization)

Birth Certificates - Not sure what you're looking for in this one.

Miracles - Non-believer. I think that unusual circumstances stand out more than usual circumstances, so a not so impressive occurrence seems to be more than it is (much like when you get the feeling that every time you look at a digital clock, the time is either your birthday or 9:11)

Ghosts - Non-believer. Even if it were possible for the chemicals and electrical impulses that make up the human consciousness to exist outside of the body, they would only last for a fraction of a second before dissipating.

Demons - Non-believer. Not much else to say on this, there's no physical evidence beyond the Bible.

Hula hoops - Quite fun.

Microwave ovens - Fantastic for heating up burritos.

El DLo

American presidential birth certificates in particular, I am guessing. :p

Ahh, if that's the case, then the Birth Certificate is forged. I'm taking a Journalism class in college, and my professor used to be a chief editor for Newsday. His career specializes in being able to tell if a source is legitimate, and he said that the document that supposedly says Obama is not from America is completely fake.

allsmiles

I too am a fan of 70's rock. Do you like the song Never Been Any Reason by Head East? One of my favorites. Listening to it now in point of fact.

I'm also a fan of good spelling :thumb:

Good to see you here.

fool

Hall of Fame
Abortion - Pro Choice. Not to say I'm in favor of abortion, but it's the mother's decision to make.
Why shouldn't she decide that before she gets naked?

Age of the Earth - Billions and billions of years old. I believe in the big bang formation of the universe.
Where did the Bang come from?

Assination of JFK - A tragedy? If you're asking if I believe it was a conspiracy, I just think it was a heated assassination.
What do you mean by "heated"?

Moon landings - Real.
OK
9/11 - Completely caused by terrorists, though I do believe America saw SOME signs of it coming in some regard.
Ft. Hood?

H1N1 - Completely overblown and non-fatal in almost all cases.
Although it would suck to be one of those not non-fatal cases hmm?

Bigfoot - Fabricated photos (though who knows for sure?)
People have been yapping about him since before cameras.

Aliens - Strong believer in the existence of extraterrestrial life in some form, though extremely doubtful of their existence on earth (but not dismissing the idea of alien influence on the beginning of civilization)
Why are you not dismissing it?

Birth Certificates - Not sure what you're looking for in this one.
OK

Miracles - Non-believer. I think that unusual circumstances stand out more than usual circumstances, so a not so impressive occurrence seems to be more than it is (much like when you get the feeling that every time you look at a digital clock, the time is either your birthday or 9:11)
I smashed all my clocks for that reason.

Ghosts - Non-believer. Even if it were possible for the chemicals and electrical impulses that make up the human consciousness to exist outside of the body, they would only last for a fraction of a second before dissipating.
Why?

Demons - Non-believer. Not much else to say on this, there's no physical evidence beyond the Bible.
Ever watch Ghost Hunters?
Hula hoops - Quite fun.
You own one?

Microwave ovens - Fantastic for heating up burritos.
Not so good at cooling them off.

El DLo

I too am a fan of 70's rock. Do you like the song Never Been Any Reason by Head East? One of my favorites. Listening to it now in point of fact.

I'm also a fan of good spelling :thumb:

Good to see you here.

Actually I haven't heard it, but I'm going to give it a listen right now. Some of my favorite bands are Queen (all time favorite), Journey, the Who, and a ton of others.

Spitfire

Actually I haven't heard it, but I'm going to give it a listen right now. Some of my favorite bands are Queen (all time favorite), Journey, the Who, and a ton of others.
Stupid Pinball Wizard... you have to concentrate so hard to hold a 4x combo during the main riff, it's like you have to be in a trance. Those Journey songs can be annoying too, they're so easy until suddenly along comes a crazily hard solo.

El DLo

Why shouldn't she decide that before she gets naked?

Rape comes to mind. Not every irresponsible decision is the fault of the women in question.

Where did the Bang come from?

I'm a believer in the idea that the universe is constantly expanding until it reaches a point where it can't expand any further and then it collapses into the kind of mass that the big bang originated from. The concept of infinity is hard to grasp, but in the same sense, where did God come from?

What do you mean by "heated"?

I just meant that a crazy guy wanted to kill the President. I don't think any conspiracy was attached.

Ft. Hood?

Can't say for sure whether or not this is a terrorist act. We can't assume that because the shooter was Middle Eastern that he was a terrorist, though the possibility can't be ruled out either, especially given the circumstances.

Although it would suck to be one of those not non-fatal cases hmm?

Absolutely, but people die every year from not treating the common cold. The casualties only seem dire because they're the only things brought to light.

People have been yapping about him since before cameras.

It's entirely possible that he does exist, but the inspiration for the potentially doctored photo had to arrive from the legend first.
Why are you not dismissing it?

As a believer in evolutionary thought it seems quite peculiar that the race of homo sapiens has been around for at least 200,000 years ago as indicated by fossil record, and it wasn't until the past 8000 years that civilization started to boom. That and the fact that some of the oldest monuments (Pyramids, Sphinx, ect) contain engineering feats that would be difficult to reproduce to this day, and would have been impossible at the time. I'm also keen to the idea that civilization could have boomed on Earth at some point in the past and was wiped out prior to ours developing, but again, that's just another theory to fill in the gap.

I smashed all my clocks for that reason.

You see my logic though, right?

For the chemicals and electrical impulses to exist outside of the body, they'd have to take the form of a gas in some regard (or else there would be no container to bind them). Assuming it's in a gas state, the molecules would dissipate as would any other gas.

Ever watch Ghost Hunters?

I like to think that if anyone thought there was real merit to shows like Ghost Hunters, that more acceptable authorities would research the claims in the shows. Until I'm proven wrong, I can only assume that what you see on Ghost Hunters is Hollywood effects.

You own one?

I'm sure somewhere in my garage I could locate one.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
I never thought that in a place called "Theology Forum" I would find a place where I could freely post as an Atheist and not be automatically ridiculed for my beliefs.

Just wait...you will.

Starting now:

As you can see, my beliefs are rooted in science and reasoning as I am an Atheist.

What do you mean by "As you can see,..." See what? You have shown nothing to indicate that your beliefs are rooted in science and reasoning. In fact, you have shown just the opposite. To be an atheist one must reject reasoning altogether.

I make it an integral part of life to understand the beliefs and practices of other cultures. I come here, not as a rambunctious teenager who is dead-set on converting every last person to an Atheist, but as an educated young man who understands and respects the beliefs of all other people on here.

What if it was my belief that a black person is only three-fifths of a white person? Would you respect that belief?

Generally speaking, I have heard, read, and understand many of the ideals of several religions that people hold to be absolute truth, and they just don't do it to me.

Do you believe that it is absolutely wrong to rape and murder a 12 year old girl? If so, how did you come to that conclusion?

I found that taking a literal and objective stance on life and the universe was something that appealed to my nature much more than religion could.

Could you define what you mean by "religion"?

...so feel free to ask me whatever you please about my beliefs or my upbringing, and you can expect to see me around here more often.

-Dan (El DLo)

Sweet. Welcome aboard.

allsmiles

What do you mean by "As you can see,..." See what? You have shown nothing to indicate that your beliefs are rooted in science and reasoning. In fact, you have shown just the opposite. To be an atheist one must reject reasoning altogether.

This is as big an ipse dixit as what you're pointing a finger at, pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.