God is Jesus vs. Jesus is God

Status
Not open for further replies.

God's Truth

An interesting concept was shared further down in that link I found.

What if it was satan transformed into an angel of light that tempted Abraham?

This from the link....

https://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/14917/does-god-tempt-abraham-in-genesis-221

God did not need to tempt Abraham to see Abraham's faith, let's look at the story again.
In verse 2 of Genesis 22, it is recorded that God called Abraham and set him to sacrifice Isaac, but let's see from verse 11:

And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me. (Genesis 22:11-12)

Was it God? He feared God and did not with hold his only son from me, who? The angel. Let's not forget that in the old testament, Satan the devil was not often identified.

Let's compare:
And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah. (2 Samuel 24:1)

Now this verse seems to suggest God moved David to sin, but let's look at another report of same incident:

And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel. (1 Chronicles 21:1)

Now if we don't know God, we accept the first report, but indeed it was the devil. The same who tempted Jesus.

In the New Testament, the devil and deceiver is exposed, so we know that the temptations were not of God, hence James 1:13:

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Don't you know that God tests us?

Don't you understand that God was testing Abraham's faith? And it was a prophecy of what God the Father was going to do, and that is sacrifice His own Son?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Don't you know that God's tests us?

All souls are God's and yes some of em test my patience quite a bit.

And it was a prophecy of what God the Father was going to do, and that is sacrifice His own Son?

Sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean that God didn't let satan try to kill the promise.

Satan could have tricked Abraham and God stopped him just short of doing it.

What I see, is it must have been God the son who stopped him, or my idea that God is omniscient is wrong.

God already knew what Abraham would do because He is the one who gave him his faith.

God the son learned it by watching Abraham.

Or satan was the one there all the time and what he meant for bad God made good.

In that case my idea that this is evidence of a difference between God and his son is mute.

Last edited:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Thanks.

I think my source of discomfort with “God is Jesus”is that the name God may be, for lack of better terms, “more inclusive” or “broader” than the name Jesus.

Could we say that Jesus is the mirror in which we see the Father?
That's beyond Scripture. Scripture says that the Father generates the Son, and that the Spirit proceeds from the Father, and from the Son. The Father is distinct from the Son, and distinct from the Spirit; and the Son, and the Spirit, are distinct. Believing that the Lord Jesus is risen from the dead, is the way in which the Father wants us to believe in Him.

God's Truth

All souls are God's and yes some of em test my patience quite a bit.

Sure, but that doesn't necessarily mean that God didn't let satan try to kill the promise.

Satan could have tricked Abraham and God stopped him just short of doing it.

What I see, is it must have been God the son who stopped him, or my idea that God is omniscient is wrong.

God already knew what Abraham would do because He is the one who gave him his faith.

God the son learned it by watching Abraham.

Or satan was the one there all the time and what he meant for bad God made good.

In that case my idea that this is evidence of a difference between God and his son is mute.

God tested Abraham's faith. God knew what Abraham would do, but Abraham needed to know what he would do too. It is for us all.

2003cobra

That's beyond Scripture. Scripture says that the Father generates the Son, and that the Spirit proceeds from the Father, and from the Son. The Father is distinct from the Son, and distinct from the Spirit; and the Son, and the Spirit, are distinct. Believing that the Lord Jesus is risen from the dead, is the way in which the Father wants us to believe in Him.

Thank you for the post.

Please quote the passage that says “the Father generates the Son.”

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Father is Spirit.

There is the earthy and the spiritual.
There you go again, GT.
Nothing in my post argued anything about being Spirit.
Just more filibusterer of yours to distract from the fact that you refuse to accept the many scriptures that clearly show that the Father and the Son are 2 distinct persons that interact with each other.

You say God is not Spirit.
You won't find one place in this entire thread where I have said that.
Why would you present such a blatant lie, GT?

You have not the truth.
I have been showing you the truth, GT.
But you continue to avoid the truth and spend all your energy on filerbuster posts instead of addressing the clear evidence in scripture showing the Father and the Son interacting with each other as 2 distinct persons.
You keep saying you want to debate, but instead of debating what someone actually posts, you use your familiar childish antics once again to avoid what is being debated.

So, once again, here is the word of GOD showing plainly that a distinct person (the Son) is interacting with another distinct person (the Father).

John 17
(5) And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.​
A distinct person, the Father, interacts with another distinct person, the Son.

And that's just one of many of the holy scriptures that proclaim this truth.

2003cobra

Back to original post, I was trying to think of a parallel set of sentences.

What about:
A pear is a fruit
vs.
A fruit is a pear.

Compared to
Jesus is God
vs.
God is Jesus.

Is anyone uncomfortable with either:
A pear is a fruit
Or
A fruit is a pear.

Right Divider

Body part
God tested Abraham's faith. God knew what Abraham would do, but Abraham needed to know what he would do too. It is for us all.
Abraham was declared righteous by faith before any test.

Circumcision was a sign of that righteousness by faith.

Rom 4:12 (AKJV/PCE)
(4:12) And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which [he had] being [yet] uncircumcised.

God's Truth

Abraham was declared righteous by faith before any test.

Circumcision was a sign of that righteousness by faith.

Rom 4:12 (AKJV/PCE)
(4:12) And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which [he had] being [yet] uncircumcised.

Abraham OBEYED before that faith scripture. Abraham obeyed and it made his faith complete.

Look at the scripture in Genesis; that scripture is spoken about in Hebrews. Abraham OBEYING in the first thing we see about Abraham.

Hebrews 11:8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.

The Call of Abram

1The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.

2“I will make you into a great nation,

and I will bless you;

I will make your name great,

and you will be a blessing.a

3I will bless those who bless you,

and whoever curses you I will curse;

and all peoples on earth

will be blessed through you.”b

4So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran.

Not only was obedience the first sign of any faith, it is WHY he receives all the promises from God.

Not only that, Abraham's faith was tested when he was asked to sacrifice his son.

God tests all of our faith.

Genesis 26:5 because Abraham obeyed me and did everything I required of him, keeping my commands, my decrees and my instructions."

God's Truth

There you go again, GT.
Nothing in my post argued anything about being Spirit.

The trins here say that the Father is not Spirit He is a Person and the Holy Spirit is His Spirit and separate Person.

I understand now how you all don't know each other and your doctrine at all.

I think you all just start making things up as you go along. Your own doctrine does state it is not understandable.

If it is not understandable it it not defendable.

Right Divider

Body part
Abraham OBEYED before that faith scripture. Abraham obeyed and it made his faith complete.

Look at the scripture in Genesis; that scripture is spoken about in Hebrews. Abraham OBEYING in the first thing we see about Abraham.

Hebrews 11:8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.

The Call of Abram

1The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.

2“I will make you into a great nation,

and I will bless you;

I will make your name great,

and you will be a blessing.a

3I will bless those who bless you,

and whoever curses you I will curse;

and all peoples on earth

will be blessed through you.”b

4So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran.

Not only was obedience the first sign of any faith, it is WHY he receives all the promises from God.

Not only that, Abraham's faith was tested when he was asked to sacrifice his son.

God tests all of our faith.

Genesis 26:5 because Abraham obeyed me and did everything I required of him, keeping my commands, my decrees and my instructions."
God declared him righteous BY FAITH.

Gen 15:6 (AKJV/PCE)
(15:6) And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Counted IT (that he believed God) FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

You just cannot handle the truth and therefore you must abuse scripture to tell your falsehoods.

God's Truth

God declared him righteous BY FAITH.

Gen 15:6 (AKJV/PCE)
(15:6) And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Counted IT (that he believed God) FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

You just cannot handle the truth and therefore you must abuse scripture to tell your falsehoods.

Read what's said.

Faith and obedience go together.

If ever alone---it is DEAD, dead like a rotten decaying body.

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

God's Truth

Back to original post, I was trying to think of a parallel set of sentences.

What about:
A pear is a fruit
vs.
A fruit is a pear.

Compared to
Jesus is God
vs.
God is Jesus.

Is anyone uncomfortable with either:
A pear is a fruit
Or
A fruit is a pear.

I don't think that is a fair and accurate comparison.

'God' is singular. It would be better to keep that in mind when looking for similarities in the English language.

How about:

God is good.

Good is God.

The topic of the thread is just a play on the English language.

It doesn't really make or break the fact that there is only one God and He is the Father, and Jesus is God the Father come as a Son.

Right Divider

Body part
Read what's said.

Faith and obedience go together.

If ever alone---it is DEAD, dead like a rotten decaying body.

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
Obedience comes after salvation.

Eph 2:7-10 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:7) That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in [his] kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. (2:8) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: (2:9) Not of works, lest any man should boast. (2:10) For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Gal 3:1-14 (AKJV/PCE)
(3:1) O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? (3:2) This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (3:3) Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? (3:4) Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if [it be] yet in vain. (3:5) He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, [doeth he it] by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (3:6) Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. (3:7) Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. (3:8) And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed. (3:9) So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. (3:10) For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. (3:11) But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith. (3:12) And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. (3:13) Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangeth on a tree: (3:14) That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.