For Sincere Inquisitors ONLY: MAD Explained

Pam Baldwin

I do know at least a few settled view guys who are Mid acts dispies.

Whether it's "necessarily" OV or not, I think is a tricky question. I don't think it is, but I know some people do think that way. I'm an OV guy btw.

Cool thread Chickenman. :up:

.....a few gals too :peach:
settled view and Mid Acts dispie

Pam

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then let me add my support to this idea. Why must TOL limit itself to debate? Isn't there room for discourse of another nature here? It's frustrating when naysayers interrupt the flow of what is otherwise the clear enumeration of principles and a study in their application. That's the goal here and I, for one, don't require anyone playing the devil's advocate to keep me from falling into anyone's ideological trap.
I agree. I am enjoying and learning things from the discussion, but dislike having to trip over so many with opinions sans honest substance.

Would that there was room for simple information sharing and like-minded discourse without all the sniping from the sidelines. Would be edifying and educational. Said it before and will say it again. We need an invitation-only thread feature.

AMR

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I would like to see dialogue followed by discourse and argument, at a civil rather detached manner; however, this being the internet and not a symposium, I doubt such discipline would be possible.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Perhaps Christ was giving the Spirit as the means to abide in him. I think this was different than being sealed with the Spirit.

SaulToPaul 2

Perhaps Christ was giving the Spirit as the means to abide in him. I think this was different than being sealed with the Spirit.

Yes, it definitely wasn't baptism WITH the Spirit, baptism BY the Spirit,
or being sealed with the Spirit.

I'm not sure what is going on there, volt. We just have to dig in and keep studying, maybe
we will understand one day. :chuckle:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are we there yet? :jump:

Hey, J.

I was sort of waiting to see more input on the idea of the requirement of the apostles' presence in order for one to receive the Spirit under the kingdom program. But I guess with your and JohnW's posts, it made it pretty clear.

So let's move on. I've got some questions about the eunuch...

God calls Philip for a special mission to go south and catch up with the Ethiopian eunuch. Long story short, the eunuch is returning to Ethiopia after having worshipped in Jerusalem. Philip teaches him about Christ from the very passage he's pondering, and the eunuch believes and is baptized. Philip is then caught away by the Spirit.

Questions:
  • Why does God call Philip on this special mission? What's so important about that event that warrants that action from God?
  • Was the eunuch a circumcised (no jokes about eunuchs, please :chuckle:) proselyte, or just a God-fearing Gentile?
  • Do you think the Ethiopian going to Jerusalem has anything to do with prophecy?
  • Did the eunuch receive the gift of the Spirit?
I've got thoughts :)shut:). What say ye?

Thanks,
Randy

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
  • Why does God call Philip on this special mission? What's so important about that event that warrants that action from God?
  • Was the eunuch a circumcised (no jokes about eunuchs, please :chuckle:) proselyte, or just a God-fearing Gentile?
  • Do you think the Ethiopian going to Jerusalem has anything to do with prophecy?
:help:

john w

Hall of Fame
Hey, J.

I was sort of waiting to see more input on the idea of the requirement of the apostles' presence in order for one to receive the Spirit under the kingdom program. But I guess with your and JohnW's posts, it made it pretty clear.

So let's move on. I've got some questions about the eunuch...

God calls Philip for a special mission to go south and catch up with the Ethiopian eunuch. Long story short, the eunuch is returning to Ethiopia after having worshipped in Jerusalem. Philip teaches him about Christ from the very passage he's pondering, and the eunuch believes and is baptized. Philip is then caught away by the Spirit.

Questions:
I've got thoughts :)shut:). What say ye?

Thanks,
Randy

_
I believe the reason it was an Ethiopian Eunuch is tied to Gen. 10-"Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth"...These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood."

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
_
I believe the reason it was an Ethiopian Eunuch is tied to Gen. 10-"Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth"...These are the families of the sons of Noah, after their generations, in their nations: and by these were the nations divided in the earth after the flood."

Hi, John.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks, my friend.

Randy

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Some other passages that might be relevant to the event are:
  • Is. 56:1-8
  • II Chr. 6:32-33
  • Gen. 12:1-3
And perhaps the really obscure yet interesting Is. 18.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I like Is. 56:10

They are all dumb dogs,

They cannot bark;

Sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber"

Not a greedy dog am I.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
STP, Perhaps the power to bind and loose came when Jesus breathed on them and said receive the Holy Spirit. Didnt judges lile gideon and samson and deborah have similar powers? Werent the 12 supposed to be judges as well?

john w

Hall of Fame
Hi, John.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks, my friend.

Randy
___
Noah's 3 sons: Shem, Ham, Japeth

Acts, Chapter 8(verse 37):"behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians..."(Ethiopia, a nation south of Egypt)*, representing a son of Ham

Acts, Chapter 9:Saul, representing a son of Shem

Acts, Chapter 10(verse 1):"There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band, ...", representing a son of Japeth

*Ham, progenitor of "Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan."-Gen. 10:6, 1 Chron. 1:8

Cush: "And the sons of Cush; Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabtechah: and the sons of Raamah; Sheba, and Dedan." Gen. 10:7

The descendents of Cush settled primarily in Africa and western Arabia. Two of Cush's descendants, Sheba and Dedan, settled in Southern Arabia. The territories of Sheba and Ethiopia were once part of this same kingdom. Thus, the direct descendants of Cush were the Ethiopians.

This may be worth further study. However, those who have studied this great Book know that the Holy Spirit is very careful, not only in His choice of words, but in the order He places them, and that He does it for a reason-no "accidentally's." It is up to us to study, and "dig", per Proverbs 25:2 , i.e., Acts 8-representative of Ham/Acts 9-representative of Shem/Acts 10-representative of Japeth.