Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So many cliches and false ideas that are unbiblical have been spewed out of the mouths of Christians for soooooooo long, it gets so irritating. This one in particular has really been getting on my nerves lately.

"Christians MUST forgive, always. No matter what." ---FALSE

"Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and......( here it comes.... wait for it....) if he repents, forgive him." Luke 17:3

:doh:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
i like the morons in here who pretend to be Christian who claim that we shouldn't shouldn't judge ...because....reasons

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I don't think it's false. I think that rather we may not agree on what it actually means to forgive.

I consider Matthew 5:48. If ever we have the power of shining sunlight or raining down water on someone (Mt5:45), we should do that, indiscriminately. It doesn't mean we have to "friend" them or invite them over to dinner. But withholding sunlight and rain because we're holding a grudge is not doing things as our Father in heaven does things.

nikolai_42

So many cliches and false ideas that are unbiblical have been spewed out of the mouths of Christians for soooooooo long, it gets so irritating. This one in particular has really been getting on my nerves lately.

"Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and......( here it comes.... wait for it....) if he repents, forgive him." Luke 17:3

It is not necessary for you to confront your brother and for him to repent before you forgive him. We are told in one gospel that there is a good case for forgiving unconditionally :

And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

Mark 11:25-26

Granted, that's for your own benefit between you and God. If you forgive anyone, that doesn't mean you shouldn't go and address it with your brother (for his benefit).

Even Jesus forgave sins without an explicit repentance :

And he entered into a ship, and passed over, and came into his own city.
And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.

Matthew 9:1-2

Or what of the woman who washed Jesus' feet with her tears and hair. She didn't ask for forgiveness...

And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.

Luke 7:44-48

{EDIT : What about Paul's admonishment in 2 Corinthians 2:5-7...did that include a requirement for the individual to repent?}

On a broader note, look at the situation where Jesus told Peter to forgive his brother 70x7 times. The parable that follows has the King forgiving a massive debt to someone who didn't ask for it - he just asked for more time. The forgiveness went beyond the request. And the bottom line to the parable was that we should be quick to forgive because if we do, we will find ourselves forgiven much. It is good both for the offender and the offended that forgiveness be a continual state of the heart (for otherwise, we would reckon this forgiveness as a work by which we obtain forgiveness of every sin, eventually). So while the offended should certainly go to the one who has sinned against him, it should be with the view to forgive him - and to tell him as much. Even if he will not admit to wrong, the offended one needs to show love for the obstinate offender by praying for him (love your enemies) and being ready to give him the forgiveness he needs. Anything less is a seed for harboring resentment.

heir

TOL Subscriber

Actually, I believe that many get that idea from the Bible in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as they were required to forgive to be forgiven!

Matthew 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

Matthew 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

That's not our pattern of forgiving one another, either although I know why you think that it is.

We know that Paul is not only our pattern of salvation:

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

but the writer to whom we look to on forgiving one another (as we follow Paul 1 Corinthians 4:15-16 KJV) and that pattern is clear!

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The sinner, sinning is not forgivable, although the trespasser to us, in past tense, we shall forgive, for their trespass, not for their sins.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I must really enjoy torturing myself.

(Why else would she start such a thread?)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes, imagine how terrible the world would be if we always forgave and stressed letting go of hard feelings.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, imagine how terrible the world would be if we always forgave and stressed letting go of hard feelings.

Exactly!

Finally, somebody gets it. :up:

nikolai_42

Exactly!

Finally, somebody gets it. :up:

Forgive me...but reading the OP and that followup - I don't see the connect...the OP seemed pretty clearly to say that you don't forgive unless someone asks for forgiveness.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Also, sarcasm comes here to die.

maybe?

You know what? That Snoopy, or "Family Guy" avatar, dog drinking a Martini was the most atheist one I seen here. Now that you are "other' maybe the dog cartoon is a bit much.

Secretly, I liked it, the picture, not the hidden meaning, but don't spread it around.:)