Every day is a new circus.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
ows_146663823194076.jpg

Somehow I knew the GOP would get blamed for this nonsense. :chuckle:

Brian Ellison, who is running against Democratic incumbent Debbie Stabenow, says homeless people are “constantly victims of violent crime” and providing them with firearms would provide a deterrent.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...proposes-arming-homeless-people-with-shotguns

Given that Ellison is expected to get the Republican nomination, why shouldn't the GOP "get blamed for this nonsense" - given that he is one of their own candidates?

Last edited:

lifeisgood

Oh, absolutely. What's key here is that they didn't see it as hate or outrage when the right-wing media was bashing Obama day in and day out for eight years.

Oh, I saw the bashing, annabenedetti, and I was not in agreement with it.
However, what is going on with our actual president is definitely unprecedented.

lifeisgood

Oh, I saw the hate, it pretty much became a regular bullet item in every little hate Obama conspiracy theory going around.

You saw the hate then as it is displayed day in and day out now in almost every single news reportage?

I have to be honest with you, I saw the bashing of President Obama, and I did not like it, but I did not see the hate that is being displayed against our actual president.

The hate that is being displayed against their actual president is irrational from where I am sitting. I am not talking about speaking the truth, I am talking about visceral hate. No president is perfect for every man is imperfect, only the Lord Jesus Christ is perfect.

I do expect some bashing of every single president, but what is going on with President Trump is not at all becoming of news reportage. There has been a 'we will only report one side of the story'. Reporters are falling over themselves to see which one will say the right thing to degelitimize this administration. Even before anyone knew Donald Trump would be the president, some people were already talking about impeachment, which in my view was and is still ridiculous. (Yes, I know a president can do something and be impeached, if I am not mistaken it is in our Constitution.)

If you had no TV, no radio, no Internet, etc. would you have felt any change in your personal life because of the Helsinki summit hoopla?

President Obama wanted better relations with Moscow. He said so in a speech in Moscow in January 3, 2009. Did you hear any outrage then that President Obama wanted better relations with Russia? I didn't. BTW: I believe President Obama was right in wanting better relations with Russia.

President Clinton wanted better relations with Russia. Any outrage then?
President Bush wanted better relations with Russia. Any outrage then?

I want reportage that is balanced. Reportage that I can trust. That I do not need to be spending time to research to see if it is not fake news. I want to be told what the administration at the time does wrong, however, I also want to hear what the administration at the time does right.

I saw a pastor the other day on TV saying he was friends with a couple for more than 40 years (good friends he said) and they said they do not want to speak with him ever again because he 'says good things about' President Trump. They could not (he said) explain to him why they hated President Trump. They just did (he said they said). For me that is insane, that I will break fellowship with friends of more than 40 years because of a man I have never met and has done absolutely nothing to me personally.

lifeisgood

No and No.

But you were the one implying the only option beside his 'mistake' was to declare war on Russia. Having watched his lack of common sense over the campaign and presidency, I fully expect these types of mistakes from Trump, so they don't surprise me. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if he declared war on Russia by mistake.

No and No.

But you were the one implying the only option beside his 'mistake' was to declare war on Russia. Having watched his lack of common sense over the campaign and presidency, I fully expect these types of mistakes from Trump, so they don't surprise me. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if he declared war on Russia by mistake.

I was trying to make a point of the ridiculousness of the reportage of the hoopla at Helsinki summit. I mean c'mom, even President Obama then said 'what good would have done if I ridicule in public the president of Russia' (or words to that effect). And, again, President Obama was right.

I remember that 'by mistake' World War III almost started and I can tell you that it had absolutely nothing to do with President Trump. Do you remember that? I believe it was in 1983 (don't quote me on that though.)

And the example of the mistake in 1983 is one of the reasons why we need better relations with Russia.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
What is really sad is we don't even know if Trump really needs shielding. The left has been as bad as the right in hyping up Trump's involvement that when the truth does come out it all too likely that the public as a whole will react after all this build up with "oh is that it?".

that's my take on it - i'm not interesting in responding to the hyper-excited yelping of a bunch of sore-loser whiners who spent the first year of trump's presidency alternating between hugging puppies and crying in the fetal position and shouting impotently in incoherent rage for the cameras

Of course, Trump is to blame himself for stupidly attacking his own justice department instead of just staying silent...

trump?

stay silent?

:darwinsm: good one!

However, what is going on with our actual president is definitely unprecedented.

everything about trumps candidacy and presidency has been unprecedented

don't expect it to change until he's out of office

Last edited:

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
I just don't think people appreciate how robust our Constitution is. President Trump cannot damage our 'democracy,' the institutions instituted by the Constitution are all mature organizations, and they are all functioning as designed, except with centuries of institutional practice, as compared with when they began. The separation of powers is still vibrant, and President Trump cannot do anything about that, not just because of what the Constitution reads, but because of the actual institutions that already exist and operate, that were born out of the Constitution. fwiw. :idunno:

Idolater

everything about trumps candidacy and presidency has been unprecedented

don't expect it to change until he's out of office
I agree that he's setting precedents, but due to them being precedents, I don't think they'll go away when he does. He's changed the office of President, irreversibly. And I think for the better.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I agree that he's setting precedents, but due to them being precedents, I don't think they'll go away when he does. He's changed the office of President, irreversibly. And I think for the better.
I was with you right up until the end when you sudden veered into "better" territory. Not placing your financial interests in a blind trust, a willful lack of transparency, defaming your own government while you side with an active enemy of our interests, acting like a teenager on Twitter...I'm not sure where the better comes in. :think: Unless you meant to write bitter and just missed a key.

ok doser

I was with you right up until the end when you sudden veered into "better" territory. Not placing your financial interests in a blind trust, a willful lack of transparency, defaming your own government while you side with an active enemy of our interests, acting like a teenager on Twitter...I'm not sure where the better comes in. :think: Unless you meant to write bitter and just missed a key.

you're an intelligent man, clouded by emotion - take a deep breath, close your eyes and let all your bitterness and anger at trump wash away

better, right?

now examine his progress over the last 15 months and come up with 10 things he's done that are commendable

ok doser

come on - this is the sort of exercise you used to do in law school, if you were ever in law school - examine your adversary's position, adopt their arguments and anticipate the debate

you can do it :thumb:

Idolater

lol. :chuckle:

I like how he's nosing into everything that all the federal agencies are doing. I really like that, and I think that's one of the precedents that he's setting for the office. It is in the job description, even if only by implication, but that is the job of the chief executive of any organization, is to oversee its operation. And while past presidents might have been just as insinuating, they weren't as public about it, and President Trump's openness about what he's saying to whom is also one of the precedents that I think he's setting, and that is a step in the right direction for our government too imo.

His bombastic approach is off-putting for many people, I can appreciate that. His apparent lack of attention to detail in his utterances. I don't believe though, that when the rubber meets the road, that he lacks attention to detail. It is one of the reasons for his financial success, his attention to details of how things run, and how things are built.

fwiw. :)

ok doser

an interesting analysis of the current political climate and state of the democratic party by historian Victor Hanson:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Quote Originally Posted by Kit the Coyote View Post
What is really sad is we don't even know if Trump really needs shielding. The left has been as bad as the right in hyping up Trump's involvement that when the truth does come out it all too likely that the public as a whole will react after all this build up with "oh is that it?".

The extreme left certainly lowered expectations for Trump's behavior. What's surprising is that his performance was worse than they predicted. Even many on the right have been angered and embarrassed by his behavior at this meeting.