ELECT Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God

Rosenritter

But those who have never believed are condemned already- John 3:18 These verses MUST be reconciled, not ignored.

Easily reconciled if you use the correct quote. I fixed it for you below with the KJV stamp.

John 3:18 KJV
(18) He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Winston Smith

BANNED
Banned
God died for the elect, not for the world.

Isaiah 35:8-10
And a highway shall be there, and it shall be called the Way of Holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it. It shall belong to those who walk on the way; even if they are fools, they shall not go astray. No lion shall be there, nor shall any ravenous beast come up on it; they shall not be found there, but the redeemed shall walk there. And the ransomed of the Lord shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

My theory is that some people came up with the predestination thing to get around the rather knotty problem of condemning people for being fools. No way am I the first to notice that's a problem. But predestination is just desperate and rife with problems. For one, the Bible has nothing about God saying, "I decided ahead of time a few of you are golden and the rest are doomed to brimstone". Not to mention this contradicts "loving father", and us being made in His image - meaning we have the same notions of right and wrong (God isn't going to do an evil thing b/c He's the boss and can do w/e he wants); and His characters and ways being written in the stars and us... There's just no support for it. But without predestination you have to contend with figuring out how someone who is not smart enough to figure out Jesus was real deserves eternal damnation.

MennoSota

My theory is that some people came up with the predestination thing to get around the rather knotty problem of condemning people for being fools. No way am I the first to notice that's a problem. But predestination is just desperate and rife with problems. For one, the Bible has nothing about God saying, "I decided ahead of time a few of you are golden and the rest are doomed to brimstone". Not to mention this contradicts "loving father", and us being made in His image - meaning we have the same notions of right and wrong (God isn't going to do an evil thing b/c He's the boss and can do w/e he wants); and His characters and ways being written in the stars and us... There's just no support for it. But without predestination you have to contend with figuring out how someone who is not smart enough to figure out Jesus was real deserves eternal damnation.
LOL, you mean God when you say "some people?" You realize that it is the scriptures themselves that use the term. Or are you ignorant about scripture?

Rosenritter

LOL, you mean God when you say "some people?" You realize that it is the scriptures themselves that use the term. Or are you ignorant about scripture?

I'm fairly certain he meant "the Calvinist predestination thing" rather than the word "predestination" which has a rather different meaning.

Rosenritter

1. Are you smart enough to figure out Jesus was real?
2. What good would that do anyone to believe that Jesus was real? Judas believed Jesus was real, and he was called the son of perdition.

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
And so did Israel: thus my question of how Mary could be construed to have fled into a wilderness for that specific length of time or to have been pursued by a flood.
How could Israel be construed to have:
fled into the wilderness, where ISRAEL hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

given two wings of a great eagle, that ISRAEL might fly into the wilderness, into ISRAEL's place, where ISRAEL is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after ISRAEL, that he might cause ISRAEL to be carried away of the flood.

And the earth helped ISRAEL, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.

And the dragon was wroth with ISRAEL, and went to make war with the remnant of ISRAEL's seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

How does Israel make any more sense of this, than if Revelation 12:5 KJV is Mary? I'm not saying in this post that you're wrong, I'm asking how you understand it to be Israel instead of Mary?

Winston Smith

BANNED
Banned
1. Are you smart enough to figure out Jesus was real?
2. What good would that do anyone to believe that Jesus was real? Judas believed Jesus was real, and he was called the son of perdition.

If Jesus is a real thing, then no I'm not smart enough.

I thought you had to believe Jesus was nonfiction to get into Heaven.

Rosenritter

Where 'the elect' is synonymous with 'the Church' and with 'the Body of Christ,' I agree.

Hebrews 10:22-30 KJV
(22) Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
(23) Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised: )
(24) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
(25) Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
(26) For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
(27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
(28) He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
(29) Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?
(30) For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

As evidenced above, it also applies to those who depart from the elect (now counted as "the world.")

Rosenritter

How could Israel be construed to have:
fled into the wilderness, where ISRAEL hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

given two wings of a great eagle, that ISRAEL might fly into the wilderness, into ISRAEL's place, where ISRAEL is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after ISRAEL, that he might cause ISRAEL to be carried away of the flood.

And the earth helped ISRAEL, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.

And the dragon was wroth with ISRAEL, and went to make war with the remnant of ISRAEL's seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

How does Israel make any more sense of this, than if Revelation 12:5 KJV is Mary? I'm not saying in this post that you're wrong, I'm asking how you understand it to be Israel instead of Mary?

Other than the person of God and Christ, the prophetic sense of Revelation seems to be symbols (of groups) rather than individuals. For example, beasts would represent nations (or powers) rather than specific men, and even the horns on their heads might represent king-ships rather than specific kings. This is likely to be true for both instances of women: each being their own symbol.

1. How could Israel have ... (fill in the blank) ... with emphasis on the could (past tense.)

If this woman is a symbol this does not have to be entirely completed in the past. Parts might be past, and other parts might represent future prophecy. Not so if this was a specific individual (like Mary) who is dead already.

2. How could Israel .... (fill in the blank) ... with emphasis on the Israel.

To clarify, I believe this is one of those contexts where all Israel is not Israel. Perhaps another way of describing this symbol might be "Abraham's seed" or "heirs to the promise" or "the Church." That is, those that are set apart for God amidst the hostile peril of this world that is at enmity against God. In times past this was the children of Israel through which God established a covenant in preparation for the Savior of the world. Now that covenant is abolished and there is a new covenant, and the heritage of Abraham is made manifest to all through Christ.

Galatians 3:27-29 KJV
(27) For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
(28) There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
(29) And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

3. How could Israel ... (fill in the blank) fulfill .... (emphasis on specific aspects within the prophecy)

How could Israel flee into the wilderness? Being scattered or hidden in seclusion or forsaken places might fulfill this description.

A thousand two hundred and threescore days? If each day represents a year this prophecy I think it likely that this prophecy has already begun. It is also possible that the days are a literal three-and-a-half years or even a symbolic number having specific meaning rather than a length of time. Daniel 12:7 does make reference to "time, times, and half a time" (3.5 times) and these 1260 days might be the same reference.

Fly with two wings of a great eagle? Exodus 19:4 makes reference to Israel being borne out of Egypt on eagle's wings. Isaiah 40:31 speaks of those that wait upon the LORD being renewed and mounted up with wings as eagles. This seems to be a positive reference indicating that God will assist in this rescue.

Nourished in the wilderness? Sustained wherever they are kept away from the attacks of the serpent.

Flood out of the mouth of the serpent? I understand the reference to flood water as to armies rather than a literal flood. Other examples of "flood" in this reference might include Daniel 9:26 "and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood" and Daniel 11:22 "and with the arms of a flood shall they be overflown from before him." Also Isaiah 59:19, Jeremiah 46:8, 47:2 for similar imagery. Or in other words, the devil shall mobilize large multitudes of people to seek after the woman to destroy her.

How can the earth help Israel? If the earth swallows the flood, this might be imagery of the armies being confounded, scattered, dispersed, or even slain by the environment or natural disaster.

Why is it now a dragon instead of a serpent? Both symbols represent the same thing. Serpent = dragon = Satan, or the devil.

Why is the dragon wroth with Israel and going to war with the remnant of her seed? That seed is defined by those that keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Christ. This would represent additional and sustained persecution of those in Christ.

--------------------------------

Comparing the two possibilities for the symbol of this woman,

If this is a specific person then the only person who gave birth to Christ is Mary. However, Mary has already died and thus this would be a description of a past event which leaves the following problems: first, why would this be in a description of what is to come; and second, how could any of this description be construed to have already happened.

So how would this make better sense?

If this is a larger symbol (like spiritual Israel) then it can also be described as giving birth to the Messiah. In this case the symbol continues beyond the death of any specific person and these events can be interpreted as a prophecy of what will play out in the future. It would be a description of Satan seeking to destroy the line of Christ all the way from the prophecy in Genesis 3:15 ("it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel") and the rebellion of Lucifer and the fall of the third of the angels with him, the birth of the Christ (Rev 12:15) and his ascension to heaven, and the scattering of the saints even to their deaths (Rev 12:11). Christ preserves his church but what is preserved is the church, rather than the lives of any specific individual (whom He shall raise at His coming.) It will flee from armies but be protected not from might of itself (the earth swallows the waters, not the woman.) This fight continues until the coming of Christ.

I'm not saying that is a perfect understanding but that seems to make a better sense than the woman being a specific woman (Mary.)

Rosenritter

1. Is it really a matter of "not smart enough" or is it rather "not willing to consider the questions already given?" For example, I asked why Rome would have allowed itself to fall apart rather than to produce the body of whom they had crucified... or why their own hired historian Josephus would refer to Jesus as a real person if he was a fabrication.

Are you saying you are not smart enough to consider the question, or is it a matter of not being willing to consider the question?

2. Plenty of people believe Jesus is non-fiction. There is a huge difference between "believing that Jesus" and "believing in Jesus."

James 2:19 KJV
(19) Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

ttruscott

Easily reconciled if you use the correct quote. I fixed it for you below with the KJV stamp.

John 3:18 KJV
(18) He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

This interpretation changes nothing...it is the same.

ttruscott

[FONT=&quot]James 2:19 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the[/FONT][FONT=&quot] demons believe that--and shudder.

Mark 1:24 "What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are--the Holy One of God!"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Belief in the known truth of His nonfiction without any faith or trust is worthless.

[/FONT]

MennoSota

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God.
When the authors wrote "predestined"...God was writing "predestined."
If you deny that God wrote His word through the Apostles, Prophets, Kings, etc, within the Bible, then we have no common ground from which to discuss. I will not bother with one who denies that God spoke forth His word in scripture.

Idolater

I suppose that if one didn't believe Christ was real in the first place, it would naturally follow that one wouldn't believe Christ was real in any sense
There were those who believed in Him in a real sense, and they were the same who believed in His Real Presence in the Eucharist.
, certainly not real in the sense of being magically transmogrified into a literal wafer.
Climate change opponents sometimes call it 'global warmening.'
But isn't that beside the point? Those that belief in Christ in the very real sense also disbelieve that he is literally kept in a box.
A minority of Christians today disbelieve in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. And none of them think that Christ is 'kept in a box,' anymore than climate change proponents would call it 'global warmening.'
It just meant that the point still stands on its own with or without accepting the Catholic church as being legitimate. No, I do not accept the Catholic church as being the tradition started by Christ. Built by men and put into power by the Roman empire... but not by Christ.
You have all Christians from just after the Apostolic age onward, until the 1500s, being idolaters. I have trouble believing that, not because humans are incapable of error, but because it makes Christ and His Apostles virtually complete failures in building the Church.
More accurate to say that the Eucharist resembles the bread and the cup and the words spoken. Which is supposed to resemble which?
The Eucharist also resembles the feeding of the 5000. A very small amount of food fed very many people. Which is one reason why we believe that the second part of John chapter six concerns the Eucharist.
Did the Catholic church stop adoring the Eucharist after the Reformation (that is, wouldn't they still be idolatrous by that measure?)
The point was that the whole entire Church were idolaters according to your view, up until the Reformers saved the day. That view imo beggars belief, because it would make the Apostles virtually complete failures.
No, you shouldn't worship or adore an item or an object.
The doctrine of the Real Presence makes adoring the Eucharist not idolatry, unless that doctrine is error.
Do you remember a brasen serpent later known as Nehushtan?

2 Kings 18:3-4 KJV
(3) And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that David his father did.
(4) He removed the high places, and brake the images, and cut down the groves, and brake in pieces the brasen serpent that Moses had made: for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it: and he called it Nehushtan.
If the doctrine of the Real Presence is error, then adoring the Eucharist is idolatry, we're agreed on that conditional premise. We disagree that the antecedent is true.
There would have been nothing wrong with preserving that serpent as a memorial, as a symbol to remind themselves of what they had learned, as an object lesson... but when they started to adore it it became idolatry. Our God today is the same today and yesterday: he didn't hate idolatry then and suddenly desire it now.
We never disagreed on that.
Then yes, if it is as you describe then that is a fatal error. Perhaps not so fatal that it cannot be forgiven through Christ's blood, but it is specifically against what God has warned us about and that level of superstition would keep you from seeing God as he intends himself to be known.
If and only if the Real Presence is "specifically against what God has warned us about," and "superstition."
1 John 5:20-21 KJV
(20) And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.
(21) Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.
The only dispute about the Real Presence mentioned in antiquity was between the bishops who taught it, and those who taught that Christ hadn't come in the flesh.

Idolater

I had written:

Your reaction to what I wrote, there, was:

Not knowing what, if anything, you were talking about, I asked you:

Your reaction to what I wrote, there, was:

You're right! Good eye! I did say the word 'preterism'! So what, though? I have no clue as to what, if anything, you are referring by the word 'it', when you tell me to "Call it whatever you like." What, exactly, are you telling me to "call...whatever like"?
Examine the context, of my original post, and of the followup. The context is yours, so it shouldn't be too tough for you to apprehend.

Idolater

You are saying, here, that all the "scriptures that talk about the Eucharist" are ambiguous, at best. You are, thus, admitting that, from just reading those texts, you cannot conclude that they are to be taken literally--though you profess to take them literally, anyway. Of course, not everybody agrees, with you, that the texts to which you refer are ambiguous.

If all the "scriptures that talk about the Eucharist" are ambiguous, at best, as you claim they are, then, also:

And thus, you must subject those texts to eisegesis to assure yourself that they are to be interpreted the way you want them to be interpreted; whereas, those who know that those texts aren't ambiguous, and that those texts are to be taken metaphorically, have no need of such eisegesis.

And, the un-Scriptural traditions you revere are that "something outside the text" that you read into Scripture.
Because you disregard our ancestors in the faith as rank idolaters, you baldly assert (again) that the scriptures concerning the Eucharist are unambiguously metaphorical. Because I do not so disregard them, combined with a reading of those scriptures that allows for them to not be metaphorical, I believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist.