Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stripe,

Baumgardener's estimate was of the energy released by the process. Try and keep up.

Do try to keep up, Fly. Energy released is not necessarily heat going toward boiling water.

There were mountains raised, remember?
The mountains are still there, remember?

Do try to keep up. :up:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Honestly, this stuff is elementary physics; even a four-year-old would have a shot at figuring it out on his own.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Oh Stripe, every time I think you can't get any dumber you manage to top yourself.

Well played. :thumb:

Dear Jose Fly,

I think that Stripe is doing excellent as a speaker, quite frankly! You don't like him when he doesn't speak and also when he does. Make up your mind. But because of your last post, I will be friendly instead. It would be much nicer to have peace with you!!

Sincerely,

Michael

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh Stripe, every time I think you can't get any dumber you manage to top yourself. Well played. :thumb:
:darwinsm:

Anything to avoid correcting your error, right?

This is a common Darwinist tactic: They get caught espousing nonsense, so they pick a random comment, throw out a non-specific insult and hope everyone forgets how stupid their challenge was.

Sorry, Fly; that stuff doesn't work. The energy packets used to raise my hypothetical mountain in the lake and the real mountains raised by isostasy have roughly the same chance of being used to boil away the water in each case.

That you will not see this is only more evidence that you are not interested in a rational conversation; your sole ambition here is to protect your precious religion from scrutiny.

Jose Fly

Sorry, Fly; that stuff doesn't work. The energy packets used to raise my hypothetical mountain in the lake and the real mountains raised by isostasy have roughly the same chance of being used to boil away the water in each case.

So let's get specific then. Prior to the flood, did the Himalayas exist? If so, what was their elevation? Then, over what period of time did they rise to their current elevation?

Silent Hunter

This is a common Darwinist tactic: They get caught espousing nonsense, so they pick a random comment, throw out a non-specific insult and hope everyone forgets how stupid their challenge was.
Simply unblievable. If this statement were made by anyone else I would be in total shock, except it came from you. That you don't seem to grasp that this is EXACTLY your MO is sufficient testament to just how out of touch you are with reality.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So let's get specific then. Prior to the flood, did the Himalayas exist? If so, what was their elevation? Then, over what period of time did they rise to their current elevation?

And this is another Darwinist tactic when called on an obvious error: They refuse to concede the point, preferring to reset the debate or slide down a rabbit trail so they can find something else to mock.

They are desperate to avoid rational discourse because it exposes their precious religion to scrutiny.

McFly: Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to concede that almost no energy used to raise a mountain via isostasy would go toward heating water.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Simply unblievable. If this statement were made by anyone else I would be in total shock, except it came from you. That you don't seem to grasp that this is EXACTLY your MO is sufficient testament to just how out of touch you are with reality.Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
:darwinsm:
Figured out how the word "could" works yet, Munter?

Jose Fly

And this is another Darwinist tactic when called on an obvious error: They refuse to concede the point, preferring to reset the debate or slide down a rabbit trail so they can find something else to mock.

Nice dodge.

McFly: Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to concede that almost no energy used to raise a mountain via isostasy would go toward heating water.

What type of energy raised the mountains?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What type of energy raised the mountains?

Where do you get the temerity to lecture people on geological processes when you have no idea what isostasy is?

How about you stay silent and quit exposing your ignorance. :up:

Jose Fly

Where do you get the temerity to lecture people on geological processes when you have no idea what isostasy is?

How about you stay silent and quit exposing your ignorance. :up:

How about you answer a pretty simple question. What type of energy raised the mountains? Mechanical? Kinetic? Nuclear? Chemical?

Rosenritter

I see, rather than actually engage the subject you'd rather get in your initial ad hominem, as if that alone scores a victory. Sad. I am glad you chose the topic you seem to understand the least.
As I expected, you didn't understand the analogy at all. I suppose that if you devoted more than a cursory reading to the article you would understand what Milne was driving at. As for predation being a curb on a given population of rabbits have you not considered there might be other population controls? At what point do the number of rabbits in a habitat become too many? Unfortunately, this is a rabbit trail (pun intended) that takes away from Milne's point.Specific how? That the "prediction" applied to the temple? That is clear enough. What isn't so clear is when this "tumbling down" was supposed to occur. As I said, he could have been talking about any structure, the result would be the same given enough time. You could point to other "predictions" that Jesus supposedly made such as his return. Jesus says in Matthew, "Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom". Certainly, he gives a time frame, which is unlike practically any other biblical prediction, but there's a problem, where is he? The people he was speaking to have been dead nearly 2000 years! Oops! I think Punxsutawney Phil could have done better.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Can you do this forum a favor and cut down on the spam? If I cannot wade through your messy inline on a cell phone and I say I cannot get to it tonight, don't waste space on that. If your question style were more intelligent and or efficient you'd have precision answers on all things already.

Rabbits... Define your question if you do not like the form of answer. I suppose I could also say the gravitational pull of too many bunnies would crush overpopulation into oil deposits, or that the thinning of the atmosphere is a real limitation because bunnies need air to breathe. However, the best and most practical answer is that predators control bunny populations in real life. Remove predators and their population booms until they are everywhere, such as bunny island where they almost trample visitors hoping for lettuce or other treats.

Bobcats... Limited by behavior and bunnies. They need a food supply. Not enough bunnies to eat and fewer bobcats. Besides that they are territorial and don't work well with others. This is very easy to understand why we aren't living on the Planet of the Bobcats.

As for the temple... It would be really convenient for board space if you knew what you were arguing against instead of just reacting blindly. First, if the temple were destroyed and any stones had been left upon each other, the prophecy fails. It doesn't need a year (although there is a time frame predicted for the general destruction of the city...) Second, the prophecy completed precisely as predicted. The Romans first burned the temple in response to the Jewish rebellion. Then they proceeded to loot it... And realized that all of the gold inside the temple that adorned walls etc had melted and flowed between the stones in the floor. The Roman army disassembled that temple to the very last rock to get that gold.

Concerning "shall not taste death" ... Completed already. He did not say he would return before they tasted death, he said that someone there would see it. There's a whole book of the Bible that has has the details. Revelation. Saw the son of man come in glory.

Revelation 19:11-18 KJV
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. [12] His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. [13] And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. [14] And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. [15] And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. [16] And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS . [17] And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God; [18] That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

I grant that his audience may have misunderstood but they were prone to do that sometimes when they substituted their own idea for what was actually said. For example...

John 21:22-23 KJV
Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. [23] Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

It is important to judge what was actually said, not what we paraphrase.

Rosenritter

Pay attention...it's not my theory, it's yours. And that forming entire mountain ranges in a single year or less requires so much energy that it would boil off the oceans doesn't come from me, it comes from your fellow creationists, i.e., John Baumgardner who estimated 1028 joules of energy would be released under this scenario. That's more than enough to turn the entire planet into a steam cooker.

Again, there's a very good reason why no one outside of fundamentalist Christians believes this nonsense. It's just wrong....very, very wrong.

Then you should tell your fellow creationists and generate a new estimate yourself.

First, it's not my theory, it's yours. You are the one that took someone else's calculation and applied it to make your theory. I sincerely doubt that this Mr. B theorized an earth sized pressure cooker. So at this point (unless you show me that he did submit THAT theory) it's not even his theory, it is yours.

Second, I do not know whether such an energy estimate is on target or not, even if your memory is reporting someone else's number accurately. I would be most intrigued to see how you would prove by experiment that the amount of water weight needed to weigh on top of a rock sheet to cause deformation would then BOIL AWAY once the rock started to deform. Even allowing for some heat the water is a massive heat sink. The more you add to deform the plate the more it absorbs. Seriously, your hypothesis needs a sanity check before you accept it as fact.

Make a replica experiment where you add water until it exceeds the strength of the floor thus boiling itself away and THEN I might take you seriously on this.

Jose Fly

First, it's not my theory, it's yours. You are the one that took someone else's calculation and applied it to make your theory.

?????? You're saying the idea of mountain ranges across the earth forming in less than a year is my theory and not something you proposed?

I sincerely doubt that this Mr. B theorized an earth sized pressure cooker. So at this point (unless you show me that he did submit THAT theory) it's not even his theory, it is yours.

It's his. CLICK HERE. Pay special attention to the "The Thermal Problem" section and make note of how many times he basically says "another mechanism is needed" to account for the massive amounts of heat generated. I especially like the conclusion of that section...

These observations all point to the need to remove
large amounts of heat from extensive bodies of rock in
the earth in order to account for the geological change
proposed for the Flood. It is the author’s conclusion
that this cannot happen within the framework of
time-invariant physics. Therefore, an important clue
as to the nature of the change that occurred seems
to be that it involved a decrease in thermal energy
throughout the planet.

IOW, "This is impossible under the laws of physics".

Second, I do not know whether such an energy estimate is on target or not, even if your memory is reporting someone else's number accurately. I would be most intrigued to see how you would prove by experiment that the amount of water weight needed to weigh on top of a rock sheet to cause deformation would then BOIL AWAY once the rock started to deform. Even allowing for some heat the water is a massive heat sink. The more you add to deform the plate the more it absorbs. Seriously, your hypothesis needs a sanity check before you accept it as fact.

Maybe you can answer the questions Stripe avoided. Did the Himalayas exist prior to the flood? If so, what was their elevation, and how long did it take them to reach their current elevation?

Make a replica experiment where you add water until it exceeds the strength of the floor thus boiling itself away and THEN I might take you seriously on this.

You kinda have things backwards here. No one....no one...outside of fundamentalist Christianity takes any of this flood nonsense seriously. It's been that way for over 200 years now. So if you really want this goofy stuff to make some sort of roaring comeback then you need to do some work and back it up with a lot more than what you've presented here.

If you're looking for me to do it for you, then you'll be waiting a very long time. :chuckle:

Rosenritter

?????? You're saying the idea of mountain ranges across the earth forming in less than a year is my theory and not something you proposed?

It's his. CLICK HERE. Pay special attention to the "The Thermal Problem" section and make note of how many times he basically says "another mechanism is needed" to account for the massive amounts of heat generated. I especially like the conclusion of that section...

These observations all point to the need to remove
large amounts of heat from extensive bodies of rock in
the earth in order to account for the geological change
proposed for the Flood. It is the author’s conclusion
that this cannot happen within the framework of
time-invariant physics. Therefore, an important clue
as to the nature of the change that occurred seems
to be that it involved a decrease in thermal energy
throughout the planet.

IOW, "This is impossible under the laws of physics".

Maybe you can answer the questions Stripe avoided. Did the Himalayas exist prior to the flood? If so, what was their elevation, and how long did it take them to reach their current elevation?

You kinda have things backwards here. No one....no one...outside of fundamentalist Christianity takes any of this flood nonsense seriously. It's been that way for over 200 years now. So if you really want this goofy stuff to make some sort of roaring comeback then you need to do some work and back it up with a lot more than what you've presented here.

If you're looking for me to do it for you, then you'll be waiting a very long time. :chuckle:
I didn't see him say the oceans would boil away. That remains your theory.

You avoided my indirect question. Does it seem even remotely possible that if you piled enough water on a slab of rock it would eventually vaporize?

I doubt Stripe is avoiding any question of yours, seeing that your post is only some hours old. Himalayas I reckon are about 4400 years old. Probably formed from deformation of tectonic plates as water weight moved from below to above, pushing weaker areas down and them other areas up.

I suppose its possible that the Hand of God could have turned on his map editor mode instead and even supplied push or pull where he wanted it, but I am not submitting that for discussion, only completeness.... After all the nature of this discussion is supposed to consider the possibility of powerful intelligent creative force... As opposed to all the matter in the Universe "poofing" into being from absolutely nothing. Just putting this in scale for you as a reminder.

Incidentally your "no one else thinks your way" is a bogus and flawed argument. First it doesn't matter because truth is not measured by majority, second your reasoning is circular since you redefine flood belief as "Bible fundamentalist." Third, you ignore non Bible sources that support the flood so you're wrong there too.

Interesting how the fossil distribution favors a fast massive extinction with that which would drown or be sucked down first at the bottom. It proves inconsistent with the "evolution geologic table" theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.