Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwight

Seriously? You are going to claim that DNA is only stored and never transmitted?
Yes and no :).
Unlike you I perhaps don't know enough about genetics for me to conclude that DNA information is never "transmitted", at least in a way you could apply Shannon to it, perhaps you know something I don't. Indeed a sperm is way to transmit DNA from A to B, but a very special case perhaps.
However since more generally DNA information does not typically need to be conveyed over any significant distance then it can be utilised directly by means of transcription and division. Calling that "transmission" is where I think you are going wrong.
That said, even for a sperm being an arguable means of transmission it involves the transportation of a physical copy of the information required, like taking a letter from one place to another, so I really can't see how Shannon might be applied to that.:think:
But do enlighten me anyone.

Shannon doesn't dictate anything about the form a message is transmitted in as to whether that defines if it is a message or not. Transcription is a form of transmission.
That may be your interpretation but for me transmission only involves attempting to maintain the original information. Transcription implies changes. If I take a letter from here to there I have transmitted information, so do you really want to apply Shannon to that process? The letter I sent to "there" could then be transcribed into Chinese and sent on to China where it would only be as good as the transcription process, as a representation of the original, would you want to find a role for Shannon here?

But go right ahead and grab your copy of The Mathematical Theory of Communication and show me otherwise.
:rolleyes:

Jose Fly

You and 6days have this penchant for often telling us what “science says”, yet the premier science institutions in the world almost universally disagree with your claims.

That's one of the things that makes these debates so fascinating. It's one of the reasons I wrote in the other thread...

See, we all know how things are in the world of science. Every single accredited university that has a science program teaches evolution and that the universe is billions of years old. Every single biotech firm operates under the paradigm of evolutionary theory. Every single scientific organization that has voiced their opinion on the issue has unequivocally stated that evolution is reality. Every single biological journal publishes multiple papers per year expanding our understanding of how evolution works, how it proceeded in the past, and uses that information to add to our scientific knowledge. And when you get into "billions of years" it's just as clear. IOW, in the earth and life sciences, evolution and "billions of years" are an essential part of the entire framework and have been for a very long time.

At the same time, not one accredited university, scientific organization, biotech firm, scientific journal, or other productive scientific endeavor incorporates or utilizes creationism or the idea that everything is less than 10,000 years old in any way, shape or form. Creationism hasn't accomplished or even contributed to anything science in well over a century. From a scientific standpoint, creationism is 100% irrelevant and has been for a very long time.

So the state of the issue from a scientific perspective couldn't be any more clear, right? There is no debate, there is no controversy, there really isn't even anything to discuss.

Yet if you come into forums like the one I showed you, you encounter all sorts of Christians who will tell you...apparently with a straight face and in all seriousness (if you could see them)...that the exact opposite is true. Evolution is failed and/or disproven, and has not only failed to contribute anything to science in any way at all, it has actually "hindered science". Creationism is the superior explanation, has produced all sorts of wonderful contributions to modern science, and is without any doubt perfectly in line with all the evidence.​

It's such a stark and blatant denial of obvious reality, I can't look away. I just have to poke and prod to see just how far they'll push their denialism.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey All,

How was your Easter this year? Did you make it to Church? I overslept. Such a bummer when I woke up. I will go next weekend instead. I made a spiral cut ham. I haven't had any yet though. Maybe later today. I watched a movie called 'Barrabas.' It was very different. I've never seen it before. A real eyeopener!! Hope that you saw it too. Well I am going to have some brunch. May God Live Inside Your Hearts!!

Michael

Lon

You and 6days have this penchant for often telling us what “science says”, yet the premier science institutions in the world almost universally disagree with your claims.
:nono: Common source is different than common descent. In a nutshell, I do have things in common with a houseplant but this doesn't not necessitate that I 'evolved' from a houseplant, or it from me. It is merely speculation on the part of scientists with nadda. On this, not even science has done a good job of employing the scientific method toward the hypothesis (it can't). Imperializing and claiming in the name of science is an intellectual abuse, frankly. It is definitely nothing but an assertion game at that point. The problem? I don't have a problem with what science can prove, don't overstate your case.

That's one of the things that makes these debates so fascinating. It's one of the reasons I wrote in the other thread...
See, we all know how things are in the world of science. Every single accredited university that has a science program teaches evolution and that the universe is billions of years old. Every single biotech firm operates under the paradigm of evolutionary theory. Every single scientific organization that has voiced their opinion on the issue has unequivocally stated that evolution is reality. Every single biological journal publishes multiple papers per year expanding our understanding of how evolution works, how it proceeded in the past, and uses that information to add to our scientific knowledge. And when you get into "billions of years" it's just as clear. IOW, in the earth and life sciences, evolution and "billions of years" are an essential part of the entire framework and have been for a very long time.

... From a scientific standpoint, creationism is 100% irrelevant and has been for a very long time.

So the state of the issue from a scientific perspective couldn't be any more clear, right? There is no debate, there is no controversy, there really isn't even anything to discuss.

Yet if you come into forums like the one I showed you, you encounter all sorts of Christians who will tell you...apparently with a straight face and in all seriousness (if you could see them)...that the exact opposite is true. Evolution is failed and/or disproven, and has not only failed to contribute anything to science in any way at all, it has actually "hindered science". Creationism is the superior explanation, has produced all sorts of wonderful contributions to modern science, and is without any doubt perfectly in line with all the evidence.​

It's such a stark and blatant denial of obvious reality, I can't look away. I just have to poke and prod to see just how far they'll push their denialism.

Yet it is certainly true that masses are easily led. If you buy into everything because "it is science" then you are a mindless science-follower and not an innovator or deep thinker. Not sure how many atheists hide behind it, but it is substantial in that small and insignificant community. Oh sure, we'll buy from the pharmaceuticals, but it is the thoughtless drone of the lab work we are supporting when we, as a nation, obviously tell you to take the vitriol and assertion elsewhere. Science needs drones to operate the machinery but I don't 'have' to buy into 'billions' of anything to do good science. :nono:
Again, and pay attention both of you: The majority in America 'have' gone through evolution training and yet hold it suspect. The verdict? That you who are 'supposedly' brilliant are horrible teachers at the minimum (means 'inept' own it). It does no good to assert here Davis. It doesn't matter, and I mean 'at all' what science asserts even if 'all universities' teach it, when the students of these universities walk away and say "uh, no."

Main point: Science hasn't 'proven' thus is merely asserting. Then we can just go back to the assertion game, and evolution as a religion and 'wish-with-all-my-might' nothing-but-hypothesis-strong-on-'hype.'

So, we can discuss how inept you think Creationism or YEC is all you like but the problem is, when it comes to actual plausibility, America thinks it is you oddballs that are all wet. Sorry, this ineptitude then, is in fact, all on you, I'd reckon.

DavisBJ

Common source is different than common descent. In a nutshell, I do have things in common with a houseplant but this doesn't not necessitate that I 'evolved' from a houseplant, or it from me. It is merely speculation on the part of scientists with nadda. On this, not even science has done a good job of employing the scientific method toward the hypothesis (it can't). Imperializing and claiming in the name of science is an intellectual abuse, frankly. It is definitely nothing but an assertion game at that point. The problem? I don't have a problem with what science can prove, don't overstate your case.
Lon, I was faulting 6days and Yorzhik for their gratuitous claims that science was supportive of creationism. Not only do the scientists in academia disagree with creationism, but many professional scientific organizations have specifically authored position papers decrying the nonsense that creationists would foist on the public as science.

The divide between science and creationism is much more than just over evolution. Recent posts have shown that geologists, including many Bible-believing geologists, do not accept the flood of Noah as a world-wide event. Astronomers, nuclear physicists, geneticists, and geologists each have independently concluded that the world is millions of years old.

So, Lon, I don’t see much that you made much effort to understand or respond to what I actually said. In summary I see that you are of the opinion that evolution is a poorly supported theory. My time is limited, and I see little value in responding to broad generic complaints. If you want me to respond more in depth, you will need to be much more specific, and you will need to address what I actually said.

DavisBJ

Pulling snow out of a hat

Pulling snow out of a hat

Dear DavisBJ,

I sense that you are hoping that I am perfect. Yes, Mount St. Helens was erupting at the time that I received the word about it….
Michael, you are pretty much on schedule. It has been a couple months since you last unloaded on me, but all is back to normal now.

On the volcano issue, all you would have needed to do was spend a minute or so on the internet to come up with the same information I did. But no, your style is to spout off on things you know nothing about, and then get irate when corrected.

… Moses and Jonah made mistakes also. All of the prophets did not claim to 'know everything,' despite the prophecies they had. And neither do I.
Your self-perception as a prophet seems to be pretty important to you. Probably an innocent fantasy that you like to immerse yourself in. But, if Moses, or any of the Biblical prophets, to prove their gift of prophecy, had told me that they correctly predicted the depth of a snowfall, then I would probably burst out laughing. I have seen stage magicians do things that were far more impressive than that. As a prophet, you are just a dim shadow next to your mentor, Uri Geller.

Lon

Lon, I was faulting 6days and Yorzhik for their gratuitous claims that science was supportive of creationism...
I appreciate that, but I think it okay for everyone to sync scientific finding with their belief systems, or adjust them as may be the case.

Recent posts have shown that geologists, including many Bible-believing geologists, do not accept the flood of Noah as a world-wide event. Astronomers, nuclear physicists, geneticists, and geologists each have independently concluded that the world is millions of years old.
I'm not sure if science has any business trying to assert that. Such doesn't make any sense, scientifically or otherwise. Even the theory of Pangea could sync with the survival of man. We are as much trying to understand this from the theology story as much as science speculation from observation. Plate tectonic movement ensures, I think, that neither science nor the theology conveyance would be easily verifiable.
So, Lon, I don’t see much that you made much effort to understand or respond to what I actually said. In summary I see that you are of the opinion that evolution is a poorly supported theory. My time is limited, and I see little value in responding to broad generic complaints. If you want me to respond more in depth, you will need to be much more specific, and you will need to address what I actually said.
Well, more specifically, it is reported as high as 80% of the American population doubting seriously, aspects of Evolutionary theory in one or more forms. You can be as general as you'd like given such daunting statistics. The reality is that science has not done a good job of conveying what is true, or convincing people of what they think is true. Both must be considered as science's failures. A college pow wow of consensus is worth less than the university papers they are written on. 20% understand and/or accept? Sorry, that's dismal, despite how adept you think your academic or mental prowess. A PhD doesn't mean a hill of beans. We'll buy your 'product' but not your preaching, teaching, or prognosticating, it seems. It basically makes you an academic blue-collar so low-brow even if collegiate, in overall effect. This again, is completely the failure of scientists to 1) appreciate the limitation of what science may actually address, 2) to communicate a supposed clarity your group happens to buy-into and 3) to be anywhere near relevant or communicating anything in veracity. "If" it were uncontestably true, you'd not have the rejection statistics you have in America (and other countries).

6days

DavisBJ said:
Lon, I was faulting 6days and Yorzhik for their gratuitous claims that science was supportive of creationism.
Science IS consistent with Biblical creation.

DavisBJ said:
Not only do the scientists in academia disagree with creationism
False.
Evolutionists in academia disagree with creationism.

Bible believing scientists in academia say that science is consistent with God's Word.

Reactions: Lon

6days

Evolution is failed and/or disproven, and has not only failed to contribute anything to science in any way at all, it has actually "hindered science".
Very Good Jose, but not entirely accurate.
It is evolutionism that has hindered the progress of science.
Common ancestry beliefs have never been responsible for any new technology nor any advancement in medicine.
Evolutionism not only has hindered scientific progress but has lead to increased racism, genocides and the holocaust.

DavisBJ

Wegner was right

Wegner was right

…I think it okay for everyone to sync scientific finding with their belief systems, or adjust them as may be the case.
I don’t view science as malleable. I am not saying that it always gives perfect answers, but when careful repeated scientific investigations gives consistent answers, then I have no choice but to accept them. If that means a previous deeply held religious belief must be abandoned, then so be it.

I said:
Recent posts have shown that geologists, including many Bible-believing geologists, do not accept the flood of Noah as a world-wide event. Astronomers, nuclear physicists, geneticists, and geologists each have independently concluded that the world is millions of years old.
I'm not sure if science has any business trying to assert that. Such doesn't make any sense, scientifically or otherwise.
What?? Age of the earth has been a field of scientific interest and inquiry for a long time. I fail to see anything about that that disqualifies it as valid science.
Even the theory of Pangea could sync with the survival of man.
You lost me. Multiple lines of evidence show Pangea broke up and basically reformed into the continents as we now see them long before man, even primitive forms of man, had evolved.
We are as much trying to understand this from the theology story as much as science speculation from observation. Plate tectonic movement ensures, I think, that neither science nor the theology conveyance would be easily verifiable.
I will leave it to you as to whether or not you think something like Pangea is actually what is spoken of in some of the Bible passages. But the “science speculation from observation” over the past century has yielded a pretty consistent picture of plate tectonic movement.
… it is reported as high as 80% of the American population doubting seriously, aspects of Evolutionary theory in one or more forms. You can be as general as you'd like given such daunting statistics. The reality is that science has not done a good job of conveying what is true, or convincing people of what they think is true. Both must be considered as science's failures.
It is no secret that America is a hotbed of creationism. I travel internationally at least once a year, and I have often seen a dramatic change as I depart from the fanatical religious devotion in some places in America to a complete reversal overseas. Many average citizens of the countries I visit think it is funny (in a sad way) that the average American is so suspicious of science.
… the failure of scientists to 1) appreciate the limitation of what science may actually address, 2) to communicate a supposed clarity your group happens to buy-into and 3) to be anywhere near relevant or communicating anything in veracity.
I don’t share your wanting to limit what science can investigate. If something has a real existence in the physical world, then that thing is fair game for science.

I don’t disagree with the idea that science in America is not being effectively taught, but I blame many religions for actively being adversarial in that regard.

DavisBJ

The forked tongue

The forked tongue

Science IS consistent with Biblical creation.
I know a lot of good Christians who maintain that the old earth and ideas of evolution are indeed the way in which God created and populated the earth.
False.
Evolutionists in academia disagree with creationism.
False, A week or so ago I posted two papers from geological groups that disagree with creationism.

Bible believing scientists in academia say that science is consistent with God's Word.
A small minority.

A couple months ago I listed the highest-ranked universities in the world in several disciplines of science. They all teach old-earth and Darwinian evolution. What reputable universities would agree with your views on creationism?

And, a few days ago you posted a long reply to show:

…Here are a few answers as to why theistic evolution and long ages contradicts scripture.

At least the young-earth creationists are consistent, for they embrace supernatural causation across the board.
You appear to be speaking with a forked tongue, arguing that science supports your ideas, yet claiming that YECs “are consistent, for they embrace supernatural causation across the board.”

Lon

Wenger was right.
He was also right in suggesting that science must itself be set for correction. This obviously includes time-tables and evolutionary theory. 80% rejection rate? You might want to rethink just how well conceded science conclusion is. Oh, sure, we get blamed for not knowing science, but the funny thing it is exactly opposite: Scientists are more concerned about themselves and being ingrown and high-fives of 'right' than correctly passing on information to students. Part of the problem? You don't like parental input. That's too bad. I'd suggest 20% is a failure rate. You guys get so myopic. Of course I can and do read science articles, but I invariable am saying 'uh, no,' with what I view as erroneous and indoctrinated differences. I don't care what you 3 came up with for consensus (I realize the science community is more than 3, I'm employing percentage exaggeration to make a point). Either you don't care what 80% of the population thinks and so shouldn't cry about it, and probably should leave schools alone, or you can own the fault in as a scientific community. It certainly is a reflection upon you, nobody else.

I don’t view science as malleable. I am not saying that it always gives perfect answers, but when careful repeated scientific investigations gives consistent answers, then I have no choice but to accept them. If that means a previous deeply held religious belief must be abandoned, then so be it.
Er, Wenger disagreed with you. Read the link for the quote. Imho? Indoctrination and unmalleable science, er isn't. It isn't science if you are no longer open to proofs. Fact, where other school disciplines apply. It is an over-assertion and over-importance.

My problem: Science is not as high-and-might imperially as all that. I realize 'scientists' and atheists hiding behind it get caught up in that odd thinking, but I know for a fact experientially and logically (different class discipline), that science can ONLY test what is physical. You can't, for instance, scientifically prove to me love exists, though I've seen some ridiculous attempts (they have to, science sadly is all they know).

What?? Age of the earth has been a field of scientific interest and inquiry for a long time. I fail to see anything about that that disqualifies it as valid science.
I think you are missing the point. You were trying to assert, or claim science is asserting that Noah's flood could not have happened. Science has no business trying to assert such a thing against theology. It'd be nothing but a dubious agenda.

You lost me. Multiple lines of evidence show Pangea broke up and basically reformed into the continents as we now see them long before man, even primitive forms of man, had evolved.
Yet there are dinosaur tracks with human foot-prints. I realize science 'thinks' they have all the answers but I 'think' you guys get a little myopic at times well-past your own good.
I will leave it to you as to whether or not you think something like Pangea is actually what is spoken of in some of the Bible passages. But the “science speculation from observation” over the past century has yielded a pretty consistent picture of plate tectonic movement.
Again, a bit myopic, I think. I wasn't debating plate tectonic theory at all, in fact Pangea would support such. My point? Plates subvert one another and with such global movements, we can't be certain if the world wasn't at one time all under water, or at least subverted so that a flood account would not just be in a bible account, but accounts of other historical writings as well. Imho? It is foolish to think all of them making something up at that point. Science oddly, when it should be verifying facts (and I use science here as 'acadamia,' sadly), discards as 'if' religion has no place in verification. Again, that is myopic. Some scientists actually look into this and have a general science audience on National Geo or Discovery or BBC. I know they are just shows, but real PhD's.

It is no secret that America is a hotbed of creationism. I travel internationally at least once a year, and I have often seen a dramatic change as I depart from the fanatical religious devotion in some places in America to a complete reversal overseas. Many average citizens of the countries I visit think it is funny (in a sad way) that the average American is so suspicious of science.
Again, this is ALL on science. They have done the poor job. Do you know what all the stink over this has done? Caused reactionary authoritarianism, exacerbating it. Indoctrination will never be a friend to science. The whole goal of science is the method: Inquiry-first. This is shut down by Darwinism etc.

I don’t share your wanting to limit what science can investigate. If something has a real existence in the physical world, then that thing is fair game for science.
:plain: Nope. You'll never (ever) quantify love. You can explain things about it, but will never scientifically be able to provide a plan for every parent on earth. That just ain't gonna happen. I think, again, scientists, get caught up in their own hype. You (science collectively) just aren't that good (capable).

I don’t disagree with the idea that science in America is not being effectively taught, but I blame many religions for actively being adversarial in that regard.
1) I think we are smarter than your average Joe. 2) We don't worship science, it does not, in point of fact, have all the answers and is a secondary addition to life. We have our cars and cellphones, and electricity, but I'm saying those are all support services. I don't live to see the doctor, I see the doctor that I can go about my living business. We don't live to go to the moon. It doesn't matter, as a father, if the earth is a billion or few thousand years, to raising my kids, nor to their intellectual prowess. I have smart kids. Finally, it isn't religion that forces the question, it is the way evidence is given. I think American kids can actually do better in science, because they are bringing broader resources and questions to their studies and query long before they draw a hasty conclusion, ending the Method and settling for perhaps a hasty or conceded solution. That's good, imho, and incredibly better than indoctrination. I'd rather have a lab room full of unsatisfied hypothesizers than any uncritically buying what is sold to the masses. That doesn't teach critical thinking. For the most part, I'm happy with a bit of adversarial involvement. I think it 'can' lead to good and better science where 'inquiry' is the meat anyway. Indoctrination is worse/less preferred to fostering critical thinking and further inquiry going the extra-mile.

Stuu

80% rejection rate? You might want to rethink just how well conceded science conclusion is.
Science is not democratic. Even if it was, you need an educated population to make democracy work properly. Do you really think the Merican people have the background to vote on how well evolution by natural selection fits the evidence?

Do you?

Stuart

Lon

Science is not democratic. Even if it was, you need an educated population to make democracy work properly. Do you really think the Merican people have the background to vote on how well evolution by natural selection fits the evidence?

Do you?

Stuart
Yes, of course. I realize you hold up science as a shield but it is incapable of giving that. Atheists try to hide behind it but all that one is saying is "Man, science is my life." It is like saying "Video games are my life." :nono:

Families will always be the centerpoint of mankind on the earth. They are the only organic unit for education, love, and meaning upon the face of the earth. It is great we have cell-phones, inoculations, and computers. "Computers" however, can never be our life. Of course you can vote on whether you accept a scientific offering or not. Of course you can. I realize you are asking if we can 'undo' truth from science. 1) it is the 'nature' of science to always allow for questioning its veracity and 2) I'm not saying we can change a scientists published observation. We can, and in fact do, question the veracity however. Even scientists question scientists. Shoot, even theologians question theologians. In the end, we focus more on the more important things of life like family, love, friends, and finding purpose. As long as these are guaranteed by our Declaration and provided for by our Constitution, this science disagreement too, shall pass. I try to look at this like a flat-earth, or geocentrism. Atheists will continue to try and hide behind science as if, Christians will continue to try and assert some authority. The rest of us will seek what is true, adjust, if necessary, and move on. It already is, we aren't stopping anything here. As long as we live in community, and even just 3 or so, we will have to play politics, even on science. Shoot, we even have to debate if we actually went to the moon or not. I have no scientific way of verifying that we went, but I think the greater evidence supports that we were there, despite what the conspiracy theorist thinks. Is it that important? I don't think so. Let them doubt we were there. Whatever benefit we have, will benefit him too, despite his conspiracy denial :)

Stuu

Yes, of course. I realize you hold up science as a shield
Far from it. My attitude is a scientific one, that science should attempt to destroy its own ideas as much as it can. The ideas it fails to destroy despite its best efforts get the grudging respect of the title "theory". Even then the theory is only ever provisional. But science does give a fleeting glow with which to see what is really going on, like a small candle in the dark, as Carl Sagan might have said.

In my experience the religious texts of the world tend to be the opposite of that, black holes of light sucking.

Of course you can vote on whether you accept a scientific offering or not. Of course you can.
Can you vote electricity out of existence? I don't think you believe that.

Shoot, even theologians question theologians.
It would be a much more interesting world if more theologians were to shoot other theologians. Not fatally, of course, just a winging here or there.

In the end, we focus more on the more important things of life like family, love, friends, and finding purpose.
Our species is rightly centred on those things, given our nature as social African apes. I think there is some room in there for awe at the staggering good fortune there is in being born capable of some understanding of how the universe works. We are the way for the universe to know itself, the only one as far as we know.

Shoot, we even have to debate if we actually went to the moon or not. I have no scientific way of verifying that we went, but I think the greater evidence supports that we were there, despite what the conspiracy theorist thinks. Is it that important? I don't think so. Let them doubt we were there. Whatever benefit we have, will benefit him too, despite his conspiracy denial
Well, I'm glad you understand the nature of evolution by natural selection. It doesn't matter who doubts it (or votes against it), the benefits of having that knowledge and using it are as available to everyone as education and technology and economics can allow.

Stuart

Reactions: Lon

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Michael, you are pretty much on schedule. It has been a couple months since you last unloaded on me, but all is back to normal now.

On the volcano issue, all you would have needed to do was spend a minute or so on the internet to come up with the same information I did. But no, your style is to spout off on things you know nothing about, and then get irate when corrected.

Your self-perception as a prophet seems to be pretty important to you. Probably an innocent fantasy that you like to immerse yourself in. But, if Moses, or any of the Biblical prophets, to prove their gift of prophecy, had told me that they correctly predicted the depth of a snowfall, then I would probably burst out laughing. I have seen stage magicians do things that were far more impressive than that. As a prophet, you are just a dim shadow next to your mentor, Uri Geller.

Dear DavisBJ,

It was not super-important how many volcanoes were in the continental U.S.A. Whether any other volcanoes are able to erupt, it doesn't really matter. My vision was regarding Mount St. Helens erupting, so nothing much besides that fact makes a difference.

If the sign of snow had happened to you, you would have been freaking out. The reporter was terrified. You would hardly break out laughing if you knew what was going on. You don't seem to know what is all going on in depth. So you would laugh at God's works? It was given to me that I could pray to God for rain or for drought, and all manner of plagues upon the earth, like earthquakes, tornadoes, blizzards, hail, hurricanes, etc. DavisBJ, you don't know diddly squat about me or what my life has entailed. I don't do any of the miracles. God does the works when He feels it's necessary.

Michael

Lon

Far from it. My attitude is a scientific one, that science should attempt to destroy its own ideas as much as it can.
True, though I conceded that some scientists just need to keep working at what they are doing. Example: I DO think we can do better than Chemo and radiation (In Seattle, they think they finally have a pill that will cure one particular childhood cancer).

The ideas it fails to destroy despite its best efforts get the grudging respect of the title "theory". Even then the theory is only ever provisional. But science does give a fleeting glow with which to see what is really going on, like a small candle in the dark, as Carl Sagan might have said.
If only I could get you to apply that to your atheism, could systematically crush it. It is untenable. I know that God exists. I 'believe' He is the Christian God but that isn't necessary to get the concession.

In my experience the religious texts of the world tend to be the opposite of that, black holes of light sucking.
Here show me:
Gen 1:1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
Gen 1:3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
Gen 1:6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters."
Gen 1:7 And God made the expanse and separated the waters that were under the expanse from the waters that were above the expanse. And it was so.
Gen 1:8 And God called the expanse Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
Gen 1:9 And God said, "Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear." And it was so.
Gen 1:10 God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:11 And God said, "Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth." And it was so.
Gen 1:12 The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:13 And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.

Can you vote electricity out of existence? I don't think you believe that.
Yes. I lived in a logging camp in Alaska at one time. I realize you are talking about 'undoing' principles here, but I think once it isn't relevant, it doesn't matter. I mean, who cares 'if' I'm choosing to live by candles and lanterns? Relevancy is an important factor. I'm not sure the Amish need to teach electricity on the farm. It just isn't a need. I'm in no way saying and agreeing with you that we need to know science toward world relevancy and communication, I'm just trying to also keep it in proper perpective. I 'can' live without a cell-phone. Laptop? Yeah, it'd be tough for awhile.

Our species is rightly centred on those things, given our nature as social African apes. I think there is some room in there for awe at the staggering good fortune there is in being born capable of some understanding of how the universe works. We are the way for the universe to know itself, the only one as far as we know.
Even the atheist should steer from 'apes' language. If what we 'were' (for the Darwinist and or atheist) it is insignificant in light of holding your child in your arms, valuing and experiencing love. It is supernatural, however else you want to see it. If not, love is a shallow thing for that one and sadly. Love is incredibly more and beyond the grave. I 'still' love my father. I have his ashes. It'd be nice if an atheist would change his/her moniker. It is such a purposefully antagonistic and confrontational moniker. Even if you don't agree, note that that is the conveyance. It is a hateful thing and I don't value rebellion or hate. They are completely opposite of love and meaning.

Well, I'm glad you understand the nature of evolution by natural selection. It doesn't matter who doubts it (or votes against it), the benefits of having that knowledge and using it are as available to everyone as education and technology and economics can allow.

Stuart
It is yet good, as far as science is concerned to talk about it. While it doesn't seem we do much, I do think there are ripple effects, depending how big the splash. That too is a fodder for scientific investigation. I "think" Jose is right that sometimes it serves as coffee-table and lunch-table discussion. I try to get out a bit more these days and actually carry the conversation outside cyber walls. -Lon

gcthomas

Science only destroys the superstition of religion. And religion gives meaning to the life of the scientist.

Science does a lot more than that, while religion offers no real meaning to my life, only simplistic and sometimes harmful platitudes.

DavisBJ

Science only destroys the superstition of religion. And religion gives meaning to the life of the scientist.
Destroying superstition is a good thing. But when superstition is removed from religion, I find little good left that religion offers that can’t be derived equally well outside of religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.