Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
6days writes:
Yes... we do see storms ( not as complex as a seed which you called simple).

Barbarian is skeptical:
Sounds unlikely. Let's see you numbers. Prediction: 6days is making up stories again, and will not show us the relative complexity of these two things.

Prediction confirmed:
6days declines to support his odd claim:
A storm has no specified complex information such as that which exists in a cell within a seed.

I know you want us to believe it, but since you've declined to provide any evidence for that (a second time), we can safely conclude you're just blowing smoke.

(6days denies the Creator in favor of a "designer")
Our cells are evidence of a designer...

No sign of design. God is still the best answer for why all of this exists. Nice try, though.

We're still waiting for you to show us that a hurricane has less information than a seed. Do you suppose anyone here doesn't know why you won't do that?

6days gets part of it right:
Natural selection is a process of elimination.

And preservation. This is why a new and useful mutation can rapidly spread through a population. If it gives the organisms having it an advantage over the old genome, it produces a new and different population. So it's both.

Thank you. As you learned some time ago, natural selection, by choosing the alleles available in each generation, produces evolutionary novelty. Would you like me to show you some more of that?

This is why a new and useful mutation can rapidly spread through a population.

Even faster than the spread of your useful mutation is the spread of deleterious mutations

If that were true, fitness would decline in a population, but we see just the opposite. If it were not for natural selection, this would not be true. But natural selection is a fact.

( it is impossible for natural selection to detect most mutations)

If a mutation doesn't negatively affect fitness, natural selection cannot detect it. Whenever a mutation does affect fitness, natural selection tends to remove it. You're between a rock and a hard place again. If it reduces fitness, natural selection removes it. If natural selection doesn't see it, then it doesn't reduce fitness.

6days tries again:
Even the 'fit' surviving populations tend to decrease in fitness over time.

Barbarian chuckles:
No, you got that wrong, too. For example, Tibetans are much more fit to live at high altitudes than their Chinese ancestors.

No, you got that wrong too. We may have lost the gene that the Tibetans have.

Nope. There would be no need whatever for it, unless you were living at high altitudes. The current allele is unknown in Denisovans, although the gene did exist in that population in a different allele. The same gene exists in Chinese populations, but not the allele that Tibetans have, which evolved after Tibetans diverged from Chinese.

Now, an international team of researchers has sequenced the EPAS1 gene in 40 Tibetans and 40 Han Chinese. Both were once part of the same population that split into two groups sometime between 2750 to 5500 years ago. Population geneticist Rasmus Nielsen of the University of California, Berkeley, his postdoc Emilia Huerta-Sanchez, and their colleagues analyzed the DNA and found that the Tibetans and only two of the 40 Han Chinese had a distinctive segment of the EPAS1 gene in which five letters of the genetic code were identical. When they searched the most diverse catalog of genomes from people around the world in the 1000 Genomes Project, they could not find a single other living person who had the same code.
http://news.sciencemag.org/archaeology/2014/07/tibetans-inherited-high-altitude-gene-ancient-human

They both have the EPAS1 gene; but the particular allele that mutated to provide high-altitude suvival didn't appear until the Tibetans diverged from other Han Chinese. And there you are. Favorable mutation. There are many others. Would you like to learn about some more of them?

6days tries another unsupported assertion:
There are some relatively rare mutations which have beneficial outcomes....Most, if not all mutations with a beneficial outcome have destroyed pre-existing information.

Barbarian chuckles:
But you don't even know what "information" is, or even how to calculate it. So you're just waving your hands, hoping that your new vocabulary will impress us.

Specified complexity is a definition I have used here previously.

I know you think just using the word makes you believable, but so far, every time you've been asked to support your claim, you dodge.

And we all know why. You don't know what "information" is, or even how to calculate it.

Meanwhile, evolutionists typically are waving their hands not seeming to understand the difference between Shannon info and biological info.

Claude Shannon first applied it to biological systems. And today, population geneticists use it to measure information in populations.

Claude Shannon founded information theory in the 1940s. The theory has long been known to be closely related to thermodynamics and physics through the similarity of Shannon's uncertainty measure to the entropy function. Recent work using information theory to understand molecular biology has unearthed a curious fact: Shannon's channel capacity theorem only applies to living organisms and their products, such as communications channels and molecular machines that make choices from several possibilities.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1538977/

6days tries again:
For example in chromosomal mutations that lead to antibiotic resistance in bacteria, cell function is routinely lost.(Such as a loss of specificity of an enzyme).

Barbarian chuckles:
Nope. In fact, it's usually from a gene duplication, which leaves the old enzyme intact while producing a new one. C'mon, you've been shown that, too.

A gene duplication, or transfer between bacteria

Sorry, that's not what a gene duplication is. Are you beginning to realize that not knowing what you're talking about, can be a handicap?

And it has been demonstrated that bacteria that 'develop' resistance are less fit in other environments.

Sort of the way that Tibetans are more fit only in terms of the environment in which they live. That's how evolution works. It fits populations to specific environments.

Again, not knowing what you're talking about, is holding you back from understanding.

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
The theory of evolution has become, in practicality, a legal fiction in our society to promote an adversarial concept of God and creation.

The Catholic Church, in cowardice, remained neutral on Darwin's findings, saying not to take Genesis literally. I suppose Galileo had weakened her, and Darwin finished the job. With a bit of a liberal push, she now commands the laity to accept evolution.

seehigh

The theory of evolution has become, in practicality, a legal fiction in our society to promote an adversarial concept of God and creation.

The Catholic Church, in cowardice, remained neutral on Darwin's findings, saying not to take Genesis literally. I suppose Galileo had weakened her, and Darwin finished the job. With a bit of a liberal push, she now commands the laity to accept evolution.
It's amazing that a staid institution like the Catholic Church can actually endorse and accept science rather than fairy tales from the past.

DavisBJ

Uh... Sorry Davis, but I have to plead ignorance. I tried googling this, and you might disagree with my answer but.....
I found similar type experiments... none as you describe. But from the few I looked at they called it "attempts at damming" or "tricks" . They said although it appears the 2nd law was 'broken' it really wasn't. It was also explained that "pretty patterns" that result does not mean order has truly increased.
Again..... Sorry, but I'm not understanding it good enough. I suspect you know that your experiment is not really breaking the 2nd law of thermodynamics??
6 days, very good, and I largely agree with you. The experiment I described is found in a number of statistical mechanics texts as a way to illustrate parts of the second law. It is, for all reasonable intents and purposes, silly to think that you would ever expect to find such a system in a highly ordered state, once mixing has started.

But that was just laying the groundwork. Now I am going to move to the part of what you originally quoted that caught my attention:
No exception to the second law of thermodynamics has ever been found – not even a tiny one. … the overall amount of disorder in a closed system cannot decrease …
“not even a tiny one.” OK, I will make my scenario more “tiny”. Instead of a gazillion oxygen and nitrogen molecules, I am going to have ten molecules of each gas. No other change to the scenario. Gas molecules often have average velocities near the speed of sound. If the containers they are in are 1 gallon (4 liters for you folks in sensible countries), after the dividing membrane is removed then each molecule bounces end to end probably a hundred times every second. Typically, if you take a “snapshot” of the system, there will be an average of ten molecules in each end. But what are the odds that all 10 of the molecules in the “oxygen” end are in fact the oxygen molecules? Not good, but a long ways from zero. The configuration of molecules changes a hundred or more times every second, which means it is highly likely that several times each day the system, for a brief moment, finds itself right back in its original totally ordered state. QED.

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
It's amazing that a staid institution like the Catholic Church can actually endorse and accept science rather than fairy tales from the past.

The Catholic Church does whatever is convenient. There is not one single bone of martyrdom in it's body anymore, notice the lack of her saints, where there were over three thousand before.

Protestant martyrdom is more common now, Catholics are under the delusion that they escape such through their vicar- it wasn't long ago however that their vicar was putting them to death.

Young Earth Creationism cannot be proven wrong, because it nulls scientific notions. Empiricism fails under the vice of God, and that's why atheists hate it.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
6days writes:
Yes... we do see storms ( not as complex as a seed which you called simple).

Barbarian is skeptical:
Sounds unlikely. Let's see you numbers. Prediction: 6days is making up stories again, and will not show us the relative complexity of these two things.

Prediction confirmed:
6days declines to support his odd claim:

I know you want us to believe it, but since you've declined to provide any evidence for that (a second time), we can safely conclude you're just blowing smoke.

(6days denies the Creator in favor of a "designer")

No sign of design. God is still the best answer for why all of this exists. Nice try, though.

We're still waiting for you to show us that a hurricane has less information than a seed. Do you suppose anyone here doesn't know why you won't do that?

6days gets part of it right:

And preservation. This is why a new and useful mutation can rapidly spread through a population. If it gives the organisms having it an advantage over the old genome, it produces a new and different population. So it's both.

Thank you. As you learned some time ago, natural selection, by choosing the alleles available in each generation, produces evolutionary novelty. Would you like me to show you some more of that?

This is why a new and useful mutation can rapidly spread through a population.

If that were true, fitness would decline in a population, but we see just the opposite. If it were not for natural selection, this would not be true. But natural selection is a fact.

If a mutation doesn't negatively affect fitness, natural selection cannot detect it. Whenever a mutation does affect fitness, natural selection tends to remove it. You're between a rock and a hard place again. If it reduces fitness, natural selection removes it. If natural selection doesn't see it, then it doesn't reduce fitness.

6days tries again:

Barbarian chuckles:
No, you got that wrong, too. For example, Tibetans are much more fit to live at high altitudes than their Chinese ancestors.

Nope. There would be no need whatever for it, unless you were living at high altitudes. The current allele is unknown in Denisovans, although the gene did exist in that population in a different allele. The same gene exists in Chinese populations, but not the allele that Tibetans have, which evolved after Tibetans diverged from Chinese.

Now, an international team of researchers has sequenced the EPAS1 gene in 40 Tibetans and 40 Han Chinese. Both were once part of the same population that split into two groups sometime between 2750 to 5500 years ago. Population geneticist Rasmus Nielsen of the University of California, Berkeley, his postdoc Emilia Huerta-Sanchez, and their colleagues analyzed the DNA and found that the Tibetans and only two of the 40 Han Chinese had a distinctive segment of the EPAS1 gene in which five letters of the genetic code were identical. When they searched the most diverse catalog of genomes from people around the world in the 1000 Genomes Project, they could not find a single other living person who had the same code.
http://news.sciencemag.org/archaeology/2014/07/tibetans-inherited-high-altitude-gene-ancient-human

They both have the EPAS1 gene; but the particular allele that mutated to provide high-altitude suvival didn't appear until the Tibetans diverged from other Han Chinese. And there you are. Favorable mutation. There are many others. Would you like to learn about some more of them?

6days tries another unsupported assertion:
There are some relatively rare mutations which have beneficial outcomes....Most, if not all mutations with a beneficial outcome have destroyed pre-existing information.

Barbarian chuckles:
But you don't even know what "information" is, or even how to calculate it. So you're just waving your hands, hoping that your new vocabulary will impress us.

I know you think just using the word makes you believable, but so far, every time you've been asked to support your claim, you dodge.

And we all know why. You don't know what "information" is, or even how to calculate it.

Claude Shannon first applied it to biological systems. And today, population geneticists use it to measure information in populations.

Claude Shannon founded information theory in the 1940s. The theory has long been known to be closely related to thermodynamics and physics through the similarity of Shannon's uncertainty measure to the entropy function. Recent work using information theory to understand molecular biology has unearthed a curious fact: Shannon's channel capacity theorem only applies to living organisms and their products, such as communications channels and molecular machines that make choices from several possibilities.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1538977/

6days tries again:

Barbarian chuckles:
Nope. In fact, it's usually from a gene duplication, which leaves the old enzyme intact while producing a new one. C'mon, you've been shown that, too.

Sorry, that's not what a gene duplication is. Are you beginning to realize that not knowing what you're talking about, can be a handicap?

Sort of the way that Tibetans are more fit only in terms of the environment in which they live. That's how evolution works. It fits populations to specific environments.

Again, not knowing what you're talking about, is holding you back from understanding.

Dear The Barbarian,

Your speech is too difficult to understand more often than not. It is a real turn-off. You know I love you and am not trying to hurt you at all. How do you expect others to respond to you when you talk that way. Anyways, just wanted to say "Hello!!" It's been a while. Good to see you back again. I was back on Pg. 734, and trying to read til I got to this page, but the more I read from then, the more further this goes on. I can't catch up. So I have given up reading every post of this thread. Will chat with you soon. Don't forget to click on the box on the bottom right {"go advanced?"} and you will get to see this is a nice color and font. I think it's worth it.

Okay, will chat with you shortly. If you get tired of my colored posts, just let me know.

Much Love For You, The Barbarian!! We're Brothers!!

Michael

:angel: :angel: :cloud9: :thumb:

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Dear gcthomas,

You all have been having a blast on this thread, eh? I cannot keep up with it, so I'm not going to read every post on this thread. I just can't do it, so I won't try to ever again. But I will keep pretty up to snuff. You all just go wampum on me.

So how have you been doing? How was yesterday?? What do you got going for today. It's Friday here, but only 1:30a.m. You're in England? Greenwich Mean Time? What time is it there? You seem to be like a very nice person, but your avatar's are scary. Life has been wonderful for me. It's an exceptional year for me. I just hope that the people I reach here is worth my energy and effort. I could be somewhere else witnessing there. Well, this seems to be best.

Michael

:angel: :angel: :cloud9: :cheers: :thumb:

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Dear Cons&Spires,

I know what you mean! The Pope is really coming into the 2015/6 {the 21st century}. I don't agree with homosexual marriages. They can have civil unions, and address everything else in legal forms with their lawyers. Of course, they can designate their partner to have any say-so about how much treatment they should or should not have when they are dying, etc. Things can work out without going so far as marriage. Whatever the reason, deal with that and work it out with a lawyer and your partner. Marriage is going too far. {See Rev. 21:27KJV}. "And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defiles, nor whatsoever works abomination, or makes a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life."

Now there is no reason to be excluded from being there. You just have to pray and tell God that you want Him to take charge of your life. He did for me. Someday, I will tell you all of the vast changes I've made in my life for God and Jesus, because I'd rather be with them than not, and that is based upon the fact that I love them more than I love the sin I'm trying to hold onto. Okay, I should go. I hope you aren't offended by me saying these things!! It does not mean that gays won't go to Heaven whatsoever. Look what happened to me. God has loved me through 40 years of being gay. It's just that I've repented nine years ago and have been an abstainer from sex that long. A eunuch for Jesus!

Will close for now. If anyone is gay, is doesn't mean that God does not love them in the slightest. I know He's loved me through all of my years, gay or not. Okay, I should get going for now. Take good care, cons&spires!!

Much Love, In Christ!!

Michael

:angrymob: :rip: :salute: :eek:

Jose Fly

If you read the thread I suggested you will see we agree but sometimes use different terminology.
We agree that God 'programmed' organisms for diversity and survival, and that we live in a world that now has a corrupted creation.

I hardly think this is a matter of semantics.

Your version of the "Biblical model" includes populations that evolve, speciation, and natural selection. In Stripe's "model", no population evolves ever, speciation never happens, and natural selection never happens.

Which model is the true "Biblical model"?

I'm not sure... Tell me....please. :)

If you don't know whether a water molecule is in a higher or lower state of entropy than two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, you are completely unqualified to comment on the subject.

noguru

The theory of evolution has become, in practicality, a legal fiction in our society

What is "a legal fiction"? Are you saying that evolution is "fiction", and that fiction should be "illegal"?

So, can you please tell us how your theoretical model of origins is superior in explaining all the evidence?

to promote an adversarial concept of God and creation.

It might be adversarial to the theological ideas of moronic obstinate dogmatic "traditionalists", but that does not mean it is adversarial to God.

The Catholic Church, in cowardice, remained neutral on Darwin's findings,

Scholars and other students of history and theology have long recognized the use of figurative speech in Scripture. The RCC, though some of its past leaders were blinded by their own egos, has accepted as core doctrine that science is best at doing what science does. And that static theological ideas on origins are usually not meant as scientific descriptions of the details and nuances of biodiversity.

I have to disagree that this is cowardice, though. It takes courage to face reality squarely. Perhaps you should try it.

saying not to take Genesis literally.

Scholars and other students of history and theology have long recognized the use of figurative speech in Scripture.

I suppose Galileo had weakened her,

So you think the geocentric model of our solar system that was held prior to Galileo is more accurate?

and Darwin finished the job.

Darwin elucidated the physical mechanisms for biodiversity. If that ruins your "stupid party", then I am real sorry.

With a bit of a liberal push, she now commands the laity to accept evolution.

Ah so being accurate about the world around you is a"liberal" agenda, in your opinion?

6days

DavisBJ said:
6days said:
No exception to the second law of thermodynamics has ever been found –*not even a tiny one.*… the overall amount of disorder in a closed system cannot decrease …

“not even a tiny one.” OK, I will make my scenario more “tiny”. Instead of a gazillion oxygen and nitrogen molecules, I am going to have ten molecules of each gas. No other change to the scenario. Gas molecules often have average velocities near the speed of sound. If the containers they are in are 1 gallon (4 liters for you folks in sensible countries), after the dividing membrane is removed then each molecule bounces end to end probably a hundred times every second. Typically, if you take a “snapshot” of the system, there will be an average of ten molecules in each end. But what are the odds that all 10 of the molecules in the “oxygen” end are in fact the oxygen molecules? Not good, but a long ways from zero. The configuration of molecules changes a hundred or more times every second, which means it is highly likely that several times each day the system, for a brief moment, finds itself right back in its original totally ordered state. QED.
I'm easily baffled. :)...

I'm not sure I follow. *It seems like you are saying that a random pattern can be considered orderly? *But that is because you have added intelligence into the mix to look for a pattern?

Apologies if my analogy is out to lunch.*
I see it like this... you throw a 100 pennies on the floor. I connect the dots drawing a unicorn. .....
Oh!! Wait ... I think it just dawned on me what you are getting at.*
Let's use Mexican jumping beans in my analogy. So we take shifts watching these beans bouncing around on the floor for a couple years and suddenly they are all in the exact pattern of the unicorn again.*

So... you are suggesting that in a tiny way there has been an exception to the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

noguru

I'm easily baffled. :)...

That is the most honest statement you have made in this thread (well actually on this whole site for the entire time you have been here). I am proud of you for finally being honest, I hope this marks a turning point for you.

:rotfl:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Your speech is too difficult to understand more often than not. It is a real turn-off.

Sorry. The issues of information, entropy, and thermodynamics are pretty arcane, if you don't know the basics. I'd be pleased to explain here or privately if you have a specific questions.

You know I love you and am not trying to hurt you at all.

No offense taken;I know you're not trying to be offensive.

Let me know what I can to do make it easier.

6days

Barbarian said:
6days said:
Even faster than the spread of your useful mutation is the spread of deleterious mutations

Natural selection is a fact.... but you don't understand it. *Natural section can SOMETIMES eliminate the unfit. It has no power to create the fit.*Natural selection causes the loss of genetic information.

And we do see the decline in fitness. The more natural selection eliminates pre-existing information, the more fragile that population becomes. *Natural selection causes a loss of genetuc variation, which can lead to extinction. Island populations are usually very highly adapted....and fragile.

It's like evolutionist biologist Lynn *Margulis explained... you can breed chicken for a certain trait but you lose overall fitness.

Or
(Negative frequency dependant selection) is one of the few forms of natural selection that can act to preserve genetic variation, most forms of natural selection lead to the loss of genetic variation as unfit alleles are "weeded out" of the population.
http://www.uic.edu/classes/bios/bios101/Selexio.htm

Barbarian said:
6days said:
Nonsense! Perhaps that is what some evolutionist Prof once told you..... perhaps you believe it still... but it's false. (You we're corrected on this previously)*

Most slightly deleterious mutations don't negatively effect fitness in a noticeable manner... not immediately. *

Crow in PNAS 94 (1997) said " I do regard mutation accumulation as a problem. It is something like the population bomb but with a much longer fuse.

You have thousands of deleterious mutations. Kondrashov in 2002 (Human Mutation 21) drastically underestimated the number of new deleterious mutations at about 10 new per generation. He said "at least 100 new mutations" per generation and at least"10%" of these are deleterious". With the Encode results, he has now said there could be 300 additional mutations per generation with as much as 30% deleterious."
KONDRASHOV: "The total number of new mutations per diploid human genome per generation is about 100.....[/b]analysis of human variability suggests that a normal person carries THOUSANDS OF DELETERIOUS MUTATIONS"[/quote]

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Natural selection is a fact.... but you don't understand it.

Well, let's take a look at your belief:

Natural section can SOMETIMES eliminate the unfit.

Organisms which are less likely to live long enough to reproduce tend to be removed from the gene pool. But that's only half of the story. You fail to understand that new mutations that increase the likelihood of survival to reproduce, are increased in the population by natural selection. And thereby natural selection introduces novelty into a population.

Natural selection causes the loss of genetic information.

Let's test your belief:
Suppose that we have a population that has two alleles for a given gene locus, each 50% of the population. What is the information for this locus?

Then suppose a useful mutation occurs, and natural selection eventually brings it to 50%, with the two other alleles at 25% each. What is the information now? (prediction: 6days won't tell us, because he has no idea what "information" means, and can't even calculate it)

In the case of disruptive selection, natural selection can greatly increase genetic diversity. The few insects arriving at the newly formed Hawaiian islands found all niches open. As a result, a huge percentage of all fruit fly species are native to Hawaii, as genetic variation exploded as speciation filled those empty niches.

Barbarian chuckles:

Nonsense!

Observably true. You've been shown a good number of examples. Would you like me to show you some of them, again?

Most slightly deleterious mutations don't negatively effect fitness in a noticeable manner... not immediately.

And when they do affect fitness, natural selection starts to remove them. Rock and a hard place.

Crow in PNAS 94 (1997) said " I do regard mutation accumulation as a problem. It is something like the population bomb but with a much longer fuse.

As long as the selective disadvantage of the mutant is of a larger order of magnitude than the mutation rate and the heterozygote fitness is not out of the range of that of the homozygotes, the load (measured in terms of fitness) is equal to the mutation rate for a recessive mutant and approximately twice
the mutation rate for a dominant mutant. A detailed calculation of the value for various degrees of dominance has been given by KIMURA (1 961 ) . In all these studies it has been assumed that the population is so large and the conditions so stable that the frequency of a mutant gene is exactly determined by the mutation rates, dominance,
and selection coefficients, with no random fluctuation. However, actual populations are finite and also there are departures from equilibrium conditions because of variations in the various determining factors. Our purpose is to investigate the effect of random drift caused by a finite population number. It would be expected that theload would increase in a small population because the gene frequencies would drift away from the equilibrium values.This was confirmed by our mathematical investigations, but two somewhat unexpected results emerged. One is that for a given population size, a mildly deleterious mutant may create a considerably larger load than a more deleterious one. The second is that, under some circumstances, a finite population may have a smaller load than an infinite one.

Motoo Kimura, James F. Crow:THE MUTATION LOAD IN SMALL POPULATIONS Genetics 48: 1303-1312 October 1963

Graphing the actual genetic load, Kimura and Crow showed that for population sizes typical for most species, genetic load was not a problem.

You have thousands of deleterious mutations.

Almost all of them recessive, and therefore not an issue unless I had chosen to marry a relative. It should be a tip-off for you, that populations that are very inbred, have very little in the way of harmful mutations. This probably puzzles you, but if you could get your head around it, it would help you understand why this isn't the problem you think it is.

Last edited:

Cons&Spires

BANNED
Banned
What is "a legal fiction"? Are you saying that evolution is "fiction", and that fiction should be "illegal"?

A legal fiction is an assertion accepted as true in order to achieve a given agenda.

So, can you please tell us how your theoretical model of origins is superior in explaining all the evidence?

It is not interesting that the Bible proposes sea fossils on mountain tops are due to a global flood, while the theory of evolution proposes that it's the movement of plates over many millions of years colliding?

Scholars and other students of history and theology have long recognized the use of figurative speech in Scripture.

I recognize the figurative speech in Scripture. The problem with the Creation account of Genesis, however, is that even if you do not take it literally, you still cannot concede to evolution_

noguru

A legal fiction is an assertion accepted as true in order to achieve a given agenda.

Biological evolution is the best explanation we have for biodiversity given all the evidence. So in that sense it is far less fictitious than a reading of Genesis as scientific text.

Do you have a problem with the scientific agenda of trying to describe our environment accurately?

It is not interesting that the Bible proposes sea fossils on mountain tops are due to a global flood, while the theory of evolution proposes that it's the movement of plates over many millions of years colliding?

Yes, it is interesting. The evidence does not support a global flood 6-10k years ago, over the long ages model in natural history. All the evidence supports the long ages model, rather than the chronology that Bishop Ussher published in the 17th century when science was still in its infancy.

I recognize the figurative speech in Scripture. The problem with the Creation account of Genesis, however, is that even if you do not take it literally, you still cannot concede to evolution_

:rotfl:

Oh yeah, why is that?

You are not pulling the old "shuck and jive" here are you?

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
More Hidden Water!

More Hidden Water!

There's a giant, underground ocean hidden in the middle of this Chinese desert
Business Insider By Jessica Orwig
10 hours ago



View gallery
Taklamakan_desert
(Pravit on Wikipedia) Taklamakan desert in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region.

When we think about the deserts of the world, water abundance is one of the last things that come to mind. But that might change for the Taklamakan Desert in northwest China.

While studying the amount of carbon dioxide in the desert's air, a team of researchers were surprised to learn that large amounts of the greenhouse gas were disappearing around a region of the desert called the Tarim basin.

The most likely explanation, they recently reported in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, is a massive underground ocean that has more water than all of the great lakes in North America combined.

"Never before have people dared to imagine so much water under the sand," professor Li Yan — who led the study at the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography in Urumqi, the Xinjiang capital — told the South China Morning Post, where we first learned about the study. "Our definition of desert may have to change."

A basin is, by definition, a valley that collects water from drainage systems, like water that has melted and is running down the face of nearby, snow-capped mountains. Two mountain ranges border the Tarim basin: to the north are the Tian Shan mountains and to the south are the Kunlun Mountains.

But, if you look at the Tarim basin, you won't see any water:

View gallery
Wfm_tarim_basin
(NASA Landsat)

That's partly because locals collect most of the melt water to irrigate crops. The rest either seeps into the ground or evaporates into the dry desert air.

The team visited nearly 200 different locations across the desert to collect deep, underground water samples. They then measured the amount of carbon dioxide in each water sample, and discovered that it had high concentrations of carbon dioxide — enough that suggested the ground was absorbing about 500 billion pounds of the greenhouse gas each year. (For comparison, 500 billion pounds is about 0.0005% of the amount of carbon dioxide stored in Earth's oceans.)

This qualifies the Tarim basin as what experts call a carbon sink zone, where carbon dioxide is absorbed from the atmosphere in significant amounts. Most carbon sink zones are densely populated with plants that absorb carbon dioxide from the air and produce oxygen. Being sparse of plants, deserts are not usually considered for this title.

View gallery
jamaica, rain forest, caribbean
(Flickr/dbraaten)
An example of a common carbon sink zone in a rain forest of Jamaica.

So how did this desert come to be such an active carbon dioxide sucker?

It dates back to 2,000 years ago when settlers in the region began irrigating the land, the scientists suspect. And the soil of the local farmlands is salty, like the ocean, which dissolves carbon dioxide from the air more readily than fresh water.

"As a result, agricultural development over human history has enhanced the carbon sink," they write in their report.

The team also used their carbon dioxide measurements from underground water samples and compared it with CO2 levels in the surface water to calculate how much water had seeped into the basin over time and overall amount of water underground. They estimate that as much as 10 times the amount in all of the great lakes could be down there, they told South China Morning Post.

The scientists don't advise locals to go digging for it, though, because it's extremely salty and highly carbonated from all of the carbon dioxide it's been absorbing for the last two millennium.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.