CPAC silence on SSM is speaking volumes

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Thanks.

Last I checked, judicial review is part of the judiciary system's JOB.
To review laws which have been passed by those elected legislators and determine whether or not they are in fact constitutional.
Of course. You may have thought I was saying more than I was. You mentioned the majority polls and then 37/50 states so I thought you were making a point that 37/50 states have legalized gay marriage because the people wanted it. My point was that mostly I've seen judicial action which isn't as connected with what the people want. But with those polls I might be surprised at how many states would do the same thing if given to the people.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
National polls. It's easy for some congressman, or even some senators, to take a stand against gay marriage since their electorate are local in more conservative districts. Once a candidate's ambitions turn toward the White House their considered electorate suddenly takes on a broader, national position. Issues that got them elected in Kentucky or the 9th district of Louisiana may be the same issues that keep the Presidency out of their reach. Take the Presidency away from a party for a couple of terms and they will marry sheep if they think it will get them back there. To politicians morality is only a tool of the trade.

I think that's a good point. On the other hand, this is CPAC not the RNC. And I think some conservatives are looking back at the past couple Presidential elections in which they've lost while fielding a more moderate candidate and think that they need to field someone farther to the right. Gay marriage would still be a big issue to those candidates.

Granite

Hall of Fame
They know they've lost and that bigotry is toxic. Maybe they'll actually finally move on...or try to find someone else to pick on.

TracerBullet

The reference is me sitting in my country river home in the fall of 2004 when W Bush and many GOPs were considering a constitutional amendment defining marriage as one man, one woman, and a commercial coming on TV saying, "Gay Marriage: Let the States Decide" and me chuckling.....

So no references then