Christ's Commandments

WeberHome

Re: Christ's Commandments

1Thess 4:3-5 . . It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control his own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God;

Some folk, not quite understanding the nature of the Spirit birth about which John wrote in John 1:12-13 and about which Christ spoke in John 3:3-8, have been led to believe that born-again Christians are supposed to be free of their libido and their romantic impulses. Well, obviously not, or why else would it be God's will to control them?

There's a downside to sleeping around; not only a spiritual downside but a practical downside too. The below is from a study done by two psychology researchers from the university of Denver after studying 418 people who participated in a Relationship Development Study.

"The more sexual partners one sleeps with prior to marriage, the less quality of life they can expect to have in marriage. This also goes for people who shack up prior to marriage; even among those whose only sexual partner has been the person they eventually marry. People who have been through a divorce, or who had shacked up with someone before meeting their current spouse, were also less likely to have a high-quality marriage."
_

WeberHome

1Thess 4:6 . . In this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him.

"this matter" refers to adultery.

"Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral." (Heb 13:4)

Christians commit adultery with Christians? Haw! Does that even need to be answered? Of course they do; and it goes on all the time, even among church officers; who by all rights should be setting the example for the rank and file.

My wife was once friends with the wife of a counselor in a very big church in San Diego. She confided with my wife (on the QT of course) that it was amazing the number of church officers and their wives who were messing around. She couldn't reveal their names of course due to confidentiality considerations.

1Thess 4:6-8 . . God has called us to be holy, not to live impure lives. Anyone who refuses to live by these rules is not disobeying human rules but is rejecting God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.

God's rules are the edicts of a monarch; and He expects compliance. But because people hear His rules as hear-say rather than straight from the horse's mouth, they quite naturally tend to be scofflaws.

NOTE: Why "gives" the Spirit instead of gave? Well; although Christ's believing followers are all equally endowed with the Spirit (1Cor 6:19, Eph 1:13) it's benefits are doled.

Jesus depicted the Spirit as a source of living water.

"On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice: If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said: streams of living water will flow from within him. By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive." (John 7:37-39)

When believers go rogue and live in accordance with their base nature instead of complying with Christ's commandments; the water is withheld. Consequently they dry up and become like yard debris. (John 15:1-10, Rom 8:5-13)
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

1Thess 4:11a . . Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life,

I highly recommend avoiding political activism like the plague. Demonstrations, protests, marches, and the like are not what I call a quiet life; and they sometimes result in violence and civil disobedience; which are really bad things for Christ's believing followers.

1Thess 4:11b . . and tend your own business

Getting one's self involved with stuff that doesn't pertain to you whilst neglecting your obligations. commitments, and responsibilities is irresponsible.
_

WeberHome

1Thess 4:11b-12 . . Work with your own hands, just as we instructed you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders; and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

In times of economic stress, such as the one the USA experienced due to the 2008 Wall Street collapse, downsizing, wage reductions, corporations expatriating for tax advantages and/or outsourcing and moving their manufacturing offshore to take advantage of cheap labor and skimpy government controls; a pretty large percentage of America's employable Christians were out of work not because they are lazy free-loaders; but because their opportunities for full time work with decent wages and benefits evaporated.

So tread lightly when services like SNAP, TANF, Unemployment Benefits, etc come up in conversations. Innocent people's feeling might get hurt if you become too critical of those kinds of social services. And don't ever assume that you are immune to poverty. It can happen to anyone; even overnight and then you'll be looking around for assistance; maybe even from the very agencies that you at one time thought were below you.
_

WeberHome

1Thess 4:18 . .Therefore encourage each other with these words.

Below are the words to which Paul referred

"Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. According to The Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of The Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.

. . . For The Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet The Lord in the air. And so we will be with The Lord forever." (1Thess 4:13-11)

None of our circumstances are permanent; none, because Christ's followers are on their way to something better; and bumps in the road are not the end of the road; they're just inconveniences. And if you somehow feel that life is passing you by; take heart that there's another in the works to make up for it.
_

WeberHome

1Thess 5:5-6 . . We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled.

Is it possible for a Christian to be asleep at the wheel? Yes, absolutely or why else would Paul encourage his friends to remain wide-awake and bushy-tailed?

"Others are like seed sown among thorns: they hear the word; but are distracted by the cares of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth; and longings for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful:" (Mark 4:18-19)

Well, the lesson is obvious. Christians ought not to be distracted by worldly pursuits to such an extent that the day about which The Lord spoke comes as a big disappointment. No; they ought to be glad to see it rather than be all broken up about it because like it nor not; Christians take no more out with them than the lost when they leave this sphere. So try not to get too attached.

"For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out." (1Tim 6:7)
_

marhig

-
John 14:21 . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.

God's commands as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are covenanted commands, i.e. contractual. Christ's followers are not contracted with God to comply with those particular commands; and lucky them because Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69 specify a large number of curses for non compliance.

Deut 27:26 . . Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out.

Note the grammatical tense of that curse; it's present tense rather than future, indicating that the very moment a Jew breaks one of the covenanted commands he racks up a curse upon himself-- no delay and no waiting period; for example:

Lev 19:11 . . You shall not deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

Every time a Jew is dishonest, he accrues a curse; for each offense. Lets say a Jew is dishonest ten times in a week. Well according to the covenant, his ten counts of dishonesty accrue ten curses; and those curses are contractual, i.e. God is obligated by the covenant to fulfil them lest He himself fall into breach of contract. Obviously then, serial dishonesty is pretty serious for people contracted with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

Ergo: I do not recommend converting to Judaism lest one find themselves under a sword of Damocles hanging by a slender thread easily broken by just one lie.

/
Matthew 22

Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law?Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.This is the first and great commandment. And the second islike unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS.

WeberHome

1Thess 5:8 . . Since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.

The hope of salvation isn't a wishing hope, nor is it a hope-for-the-best hope, nor a cross-your-fingers hope. The koiné Greek word is elpis (el-pece') which means to anticipate with pleasure and confident expectation.

Anticipation is way different than wishful thinking. When a daddy loads up the car with wife and kids for a day at Six Flags, his family is no longer wishing he'd take them there. No, they're in the car and on the way. They no longer wish, but are now looking forward to having a day of great fun, food, and excitement. That's elpis hope.
_

WeberHome

1Thess 5:11 . . Therefore encourage one another, and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

Building believers up is just the opposite of tearing them down. Those in Galatia were busy doing just that.

"But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another!" (Gal 5:15)
_

WeberHome

1Thess 5:12-13a . . Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in The Lord and who admonish you. Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work.

Real men respect real men. When church officers are mice; then 1Thess 5:12-13a becomes a challenge for real men to obey; but regardless; comply they must.

"Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you." (Heb 13:17)

I would say that if the officers in your church are just too impossible for you to respect then it's time to abandon ship. Don't mutiny though because mutiny is just as much a sin as heresy. The rank and file aren't called to reform church officers; but to cooperate with them. If they can't cooperate with them; then I sincerely believe the rank and file should leave and find a church where they can because Christ isn't pleased with grudging compliance; rather, with whole-hearted compliance. (cf. Mark 12:30)
_

WeberHome

1Thess 5:13b . . Live in peace with each other.

In this instance, "each another" probably refers to fellow believers.

The category of peace Paul is talking about is social; viz: harmony in personal relations. The Hippies and the peace-nics failed to achieve peace primarily because they couldn't be civil among themselves unless they were high on mood-altering drugs.

Peace can be defined as: calm, pacific, tranquil, at rest, quiet, and free of trouble and strife.

A lack of peace is characterized by war, quarrelling, debating, vendettas, hostility, grudging, fault finding, nit picking, chafing, competition, rivalry, cold shouldering, factions, taking sides, cliques, disorder, antagonism, fighting, conflict, struggles, et al.

NOTE: Never assume that everyone you meet in church is a believer. Going to church on Sunday is just what some people do, and probably have done ever since they were kids. There was a time when going to church on Sunday was considered good citizenship; and quite a few people were there for no other reason; i.e. church sort of fills out their social résumé. And then some people attend church because they're lonely and wanting to meet some new friends; etc, etc, etc, etc.
_

God's Truth

-
John 14:21 . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.

God's commands as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are covenanted commands, i.e. contractual. Christ's followers are not contracted with God to comply with those particular commands; and lucky them because Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69 specify a large number of curses for non compliance.

Deut 27:26 . . Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out.

Note the grammatical tense of that curse; it's present tense rather than future, indicating that the very moment a Jew breaks one of the covenanted commands he racks up a curse upon himself-- no delay and no waiting period; for example:

Lev 19:11 . . You shall not deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

Every time a Jew is dishonest, he accrues a curse; for each offense. Lets say a Jew is dishonest ten times in a week. Well according to the covenant, his ten counts of dishonesty accrue ten curses; and those curses are contractual, i.e. God is obligated by the covenant to fulfil them lest He himself fall into breach of contract. Obviously then, serial dishonesty is pretty serious for people contracted with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

Ergo: I do not recommend converting to Judaism lest one find themselves under a sword of Damocles hanging by a slender thread easily broken by just one lie.

/

Jesus came and gave his teachings for the NEW Covenant.

WeberHome

1Thess 5:14a . . And we urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly

The koiné Greek word for "unruly" is ataktos (at-ak'-toce) which means: irregular; viz: out of order; disorderly. Unruly people are like kindergartners; but that's to be expected from their age group: little kids are disruptive, they're boisterous, they go off-subject and say whatever they want right out of the blue. They provoke and antagonize each other, they don't listen, they talk out of turn, they're impulsive, they can't stay in their seats, and they meddle and can't mind their own business.

When I hear of four supposedly adult women on television like "The View" throwing hissy fits and walking off the set, and/or talking out of turn; and spontaneously interrupting each other in mid sentence-- sometimes all four speaking at once --I have to wonder. And so-called presidential debates where two supposedly mature adults, competing for the power to run the country, are hurling accusations and recriminations, assassinating each other's character, and calling each other names; I get disgusted. God forbid that Christ's followers act like that either in church or out in the world.
_

God's Truth

1Thess 5:14a . . And we urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly

The koiné Greek word for "unruly" is ataktos (at-ak'-toce) which means: irregular; viz: out of order; disorderly. Unruly people are like kindergartners; but that's to be expected from their age group: little kids are disruptive, they're boisterous, they go off-subject and say whatever they want right out of the blue. They provoke and antagonize each other, they don't listen, they talk out of turn, they're impulsive, they can't stay in their seats, and they meddle and can't mind their own business.

When I hear of four supposedly adult women on television like "The View" throwing hissy fits and walking off the set, and/or talking out of turn; and spontaneously interrupting each other in mid sentence-- sometimes all four speaking at once --I have to wonder. And so-called presidential debates where two supposedly mature adults, competing for the power to run the country, are hurling accusations and recriminations, assassinating each other's character, and calling each other names; I get disgusted. God forbid that Christ's followers act like that either in church or out in the world.
_

It should be called the stupid women of the view. It is how most society is, men and women, and Christian and not.
Many are called few are chosen

WeberHome

1Thess 5:14b . . comfort the discouraged

A discouraged person is someone who's given up all hope that a situation will improve or change; viz: despairing.

In order to obey that directive, it's necessary to become personal with the people with whom you attend church. Too many Christians are like little islands of humanity in church. They warm a pew on Sunday morning and then get up and leave without bothering to spend even one minute mingling. They don't attend Sunday school because in Sunday school you meet people-- you associate with them; you get to know them, and they get to know you.

As disagreeable as that might be for private types of Christians, Sunday school is the best place in church to go for sympathy, for encouragement, and for support. Unfortunately, not many Christians can deal with negativity; and tend to distance themselves from people down in the dumps.

NOTE: In Dr. Laura Schlessinger's book "Ten Stupid Things That Men Do To Mess Up Their Lives" she lists men's propensity to fix things. In other words: instead of simply lending a sympathetic ear to people's problems, some men tend to see people with problems as "broken" and in need of repair; and then of course they take the initiative to begin offering unsolicited remedies. No; the idea is to console the discouraged, not to "fix" them.

But even Sunday schools have their problems. If the class size is enormous, then you will be swallowed up and no more visible than a termite in the floor boards. Look for small classes; especially those where the people sit around tables rather than in rows of chairs. You get to meet people around tables, while rows of chairs tend to isolate people from one another.

And don't forget your church's pastors, deacons, and elders. They need encouragement and support too just like anybody else. Don't ever assume your leaders are rocks who don't need anybody. No, they're only human, and if they're truly humble, they'll really appreciate your interest in their welfare-- usually.

I once complimented a young speaker at a men's breakfast about the lecture he delivered that morning. He glared at me with daggers-- his mouth a tight grimace, his eyes narrow slits of hate and suspicion --and turned away without speaking a single word in response. That young man's reaction took me by surprise; chilling me to the bone and causing me to forget everything he said that day up in front. Obviously he was a rock in his own mind and insulted by encouragement from the audience. Well, I kept my distance from then on. God pity a church with people like that on staff.
_

God's Truth

1Thess 5:14b . . comfort the discouraged

A discouraged person is someone who's given up all hope that a situation will improve or change; viz: despairing.

In order to obey that directive, it's necessary to become personal with the people with whom you attend church. Too many Christians are like little islands of humanity in church. They warm a pew on Sunday morning and then get up and leave without bothering to spend even one minute mingling. They don't attend Sunday school because in Sunday school you meet people-- you associate with them; you get to know them, and they get to know you.

As disagreeable as that might be for private types of Christians, Sunday school is the best place in church to go for sympathy, for encouragement, and for support. Unfortunately, not many Christians can deal with negativity; and tend to distance themselves from people down in the dumps.

NOTE: In Dr. Laura Schlessinger's book "Ten Stupid Things That Men Do To Mess Up Their Lives" she lists men's propensity to fix things. In other words: instead of simply lending a sympathetic ear to people's problems, some men tend to see people with problems as "broken" and in need of repair; and then of course they take the initiative to begin offering unsolicited remedies. No; the idea is to console the discouraged, not to "fix" them.

But even Sunday schools have their problems. If the class size is enormous, then you will be swallowed up and no more visible than a termite in the floor boards. Look for small classes; especially those where the people sit around tables rather than in rows of chairs. You get to meet people around tables, while rows of chairs tend to isolate people from one another.

And don't forget your church's pastors, deacons, and elders. They need encouragement and support too just like anybody else. Don't ever assume your leaders are rocks who don't need anybody. No, they're only human, and if they're truly humble, they'll really appreciate your interest in their welfare-- usually.

I once complimented a young speaker at a men's breakfast about the lecture he delivered that morning. He glared at me with daggers-- his mouth a tight grimace, his eyes narrow slits of hate and suspicion --and turned away without speaking a single word in response. That young man's reaction took me by surprise; chilling me to the bone and causing me to forget everything he said that day up in front. Obviously he was a rock in his own mind and insulted by encouragement from the audience. Well, I kept my distance from then on. God pity a church with people like that on staff.
_

That last part is what I go through all the time with people I come in contact with when I try to give some positive comment of encouragement. It is a strange phenomenon that I am surprised to hear someone else talk about.

WeberHome

1Thess 5:14c . . support the weak

That could probably be stretched to mean any number of things; but I should think it includes care for your church's aged and/or infirm; viz; people on crutches, people getting around in wheel chairs, people who can no longer drive a car, people lacking enough health to even leave their residences and go shopping on their own, people stuck in assisted living: that sort of thing.
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

1Thess 5:14d . . Be patient with everyone.

The koinè Greek word for patient is makrothumeo (mak-roth-oo-meh'-o) which has little to do with getting fed up with people. In James 5:7-8 it speaks of giving things space to happen in their own good time.

I would say that in this case, makrothumeo speaks of giving people a chance to either catch on or catch up. For example: we all perfectly understand what we're saying while those hearing may need to have us restate ourselves in different words in order to clear up a misunderstanding.
_

popsthebuilder

1Thess 5:14d . . Be patient with everyone.

The koinè Greek word for patient is makrothumeo (mak-roth-oo-meh'-o) which has little to do with getting fed up with people. In James 5:7-8 it speaks of giving things space to happen in their own good time.

I would say that in this case, makrothumeo speaks of giving people a chance to either catch on or catch up. For example: we all perfectly understand what we're saying while those hearing may need to have us restate ourselves in different words in order to clear up a misunderstanding.
_
I enjoy reading your common practice takes on things of faith.

GOD bless,

May you carry on friend, by HIS will.

peace

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk