chrysostom

Hall of Fame
-anyone who agrees with my interpretation of the bible
-anyone who is saved
-anyone who has been elected
-anyone who believes Jesus suffered and died so we might be saved

-which one is a christian?

jimiduzit

it's very interesting that the Bible teaches that it was in Antioch that they first began to be called Christians. Before that they were disciples and the apostles. Anyone who is honest with themselves and willing to do whatever it takes to be like the Savour will find out through diligent study that the "Christian church" today and for many centuries even millennia is steeped in paganism through man-made traditions and the customs of their particular sect. The RCC teaches that a man has the authority to absolve people of their personal sins or that you should pray to dead people asking them to intercede for the penitent. The protestant reformers are not a whole lot better. Luther and Calvin while making some contribution both authored some very bitter, hateful, vitriolic, poison directed at the Jews. There was no Catholic church in the first century. There were Jewish and Gentile believers in the Messiah. You had believers and pagans. Most "Christians" celebrate pagan holidays, use names that could refer to any religion's god as God for Yahweh and Yahshua. I am sure many good loving "Christians" will respond to any of this with the sarcasm and hatred that litters these boards. But this is the truth and it is easy to discover if you put aside your books by your favourite reformer or denomination.

Last edited:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My opinion on this probably won't be popular. Belonging to a specific denomination or flavor of Christianity does not make a person a Christian.

The admonition in scripture is quite simple.

Acts 16:31 -- And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

As human beings we tend to make it harder than it really is, the Catholic Church included.

Yes of course.
Everybody has a supreme pastor. Whether it's the pope, or someone else who acts a lot like the pope, or they make themselves into their own pope.

Everybody has a supreme pastor.

There are a group of pastors, mainly with the Lord now, I listen to and find trustworthy. I don't believe any like-minded would ever say anything but that we listen to each other, but there is only Jesus Christ supreme, in anything, and no gospel of man, only the gospel of Jesus Christ. I don't have nor have ever had any supreme pastor man nor certainly self, rather the communion of those in Christ of scripture, a list of names of revered pastors I could not say who was better than the other, each having their own merit, just as their own personalities, and, again, only Christ supreme, to any of us.

So, I believe you must speak for Catholics, who have a supreme man, or maybe Mormons with their Prophets, any cults who have their exclusive prophets, people preaching some man's gospel, whatever, but you can't lump everybody into having some supreme man. I know I don't, but for the God-man. It's even more apparent it's the Holy Spirit and scripture that's the supreme influence in the lives of believers, no man. I have only ever listened to any man, to the extent he faithfully teaches the things of God from scripture, not for their person, nor any claim of their person. All true men of God I've known are humble and avoid like the plague being put on a pedestal, would rebuke anybody doing this. As a matter of fact, show me some supreme man, and I'll show you a cult! After all, isn't true Christianity much to do with the supremacy of Christ alone?

TOL doctrines are just getting curiouser and curiouser. Is there some "Church of the Latter Day Supreme Man" I missed? Got a link to a congregation, with this doctrine everybody has a supreme pastor man? Or did you get that from a Bob Dylan lyric? Or is this like some guru? I was wondering, because maybe you have Christianity confused with Hinduism? They have supreme men. And cows.

Anyway, as to the OP, yes a Catholic can be a Christian, many so, despite themselves.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
There are a group of pastors, mainly with the Lord now, I listen to and find trustworthy. I don't believe any like-minded would ever say anything but that we listen to each other, but there is only Jesus Christ supreme, in anything, and no gospel of man, only the gospel of Jesus Christ. I don't have nor have ever had any supreme pastor man nor certainly self, rather the communion of those in Christ of scripture, a list of names of revered pastors I could not say who was better than the other, each having their own merit, just as their own personalities, and, again, only Christ supreme, to any of us.

So, I believe you must speak for Catholics, who have a supreme man, or maybe Mormons with their Prophets, any cults who have their exclusive prophets, people preaching some man's gospel, whatever, but you can't lump everybody into having some supreme man. I know I don't, but for the God-man. It's even more apparent it's the Holy Spirit and scripture that's the supreme influence in the lives of believers, no man. I have only ever listened to any man, to the extent he faithfully teaches the things of God from scripture, not for their person, nor any claim of their person. All true men of God I've known are humble and avoid like the plague being put on a pedestal, would rebuke anybody doing this. As a matter of fact, show me some supreme man, and I'll show you a cult! After all, isn't true Christianity much to do with the supremacy of Christ alone?

TOL doctrines are just getting curiouser and curiouser. Is there some "Church of the Latter Day Supreme Man" I missed? Got a link to a congregation, with this doctrine everybody has a supreme man? Did you get than from a Bob Dylan lyric? Or is this like some guru? I was wondering, because maybe you have Christianity confused with Hinduism? They have supreme men. And cows.

Anyway, as to the OP, yes a Catholic can be a Christian, many so, despite themselves.
Your supreme pastor is the one who judges what is, and what is not, "faithful teaching."

'Sounds like it's you.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Some people find a hearing aid helpful for their comprehension problems.
All I had to do was plod through that wall of text of a post of yours to find how full of crap you are. You said, not me, "I have only ever listened to any man, to the extent he faithfully teaches the things of God from scripture, not for their person, nor any claim of their person." How do you know "to what extend he faithfully teaches?" How do you determine that, exactly?

It's you. You're your own supreme pastor.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
Can a Roman Catholic be a Christian?

My opinion on this probably won't be popular. Belonging to a specific denomination or flavor of Christianity does not make a person a Christian.

The admonition in scripture is quite simple.

Acts 16:31 -- And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

As human beings we tend to make it harder than it really is, the Catholic Church included.

Well spoken! The Full Kingdom is indeed invisible to us and built of stones founded on the Cornerstone the builders rejected.

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

Cruciform

Still spewing lies... as usual.
Still spewing ignorance...as usual.

There is absolutely no proof of your claims other than your churches prideful self proclamation. History does not back your claims at all, and scripture itself has to be full of lies to believe what you do.
Yes, the entirely non-authoritative opinions fed to you by your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect are noted. (Again.) :yawn:

6days

CabinetMaker said:
Of course they can! So can Mormons and JW's and a great many others who attend churches that "we" don't see a being really Christian. A Christian is determined by who they put their faith in, not what pew they sit in. I think it is much MUCH harder to be a follower of Christ in certain denominations, but that does not automatically mean that a person is not a Christian.
WOW CabinetMaker!! Well said. I seldom agree with you, but I totally agree with every word here.
Now.... do you think a Baptist can be a Christian? :) You already answered that. :)

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Not only can they be Christians, Catholics are the original Christians, the Catholic Church having been the only Christian Church in existence for the first millennium-and-a-half of Christian history, and having continued as Christ's one historic Church right down to our own day.

For example, see THIS and THIS.

Rome made Christianity it's state religion, and beforehand, it was just a pagan church.

It did nothing but usurp whatever Peter's Seat was and became a gentile Pharisee.

Cruciform

Rome made Christianity it's state religion, and beforehand, it was just a pagan church. It did nothing but usurp whatever Peter's Seat was and became a gentile Pharisee.
In fact, Christ's one historic Church was already commonly referred to as "the Catholic Church" by the end of the 1st century A.D.---a good two centuries BEFORE Constantine legalized the Christian religion in Rome. Better try again.

6days

Cruciform said:
In fact, Christ's one historic Church wasalready commonly referred to as "the Catholic Church" by the end of the 1st century A.D.---a good two centuries BEFOREConstantine legalized the Christian religion in Rome. Better try again.
So, you are agreeing that Catholics can be Christians, but it does not make them a Christian? The name above the church door might indicate what theology is taught there, but the building...the denomination....the leader do not save. The only name on the door that matters is found in John 10:9