Can a person be a Jew and a Christian at the same time?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
No, Jews do NOT worship Christ.

Christians worship Christ.

Therefore, you have your answer...

Incorrect. Many Jews who believe in Messiah worship Christ, as do Christians.

edit

Romans 11:11 NASB - I say then, they did not stumble so as to fall, did they? May it never be! But by their transgression salvation [has come] to the Gentiles, to make them jealous.

clefty

No, Jews do NOT worship Christ.

Christians worship Christ.

Therefore, you have your answer...

He is hoping that by misrepresenting them as Christ lovers we will forget jews HATE Christ and because in HIM there is no jew...

Hawkins

I am a Jewish Convert and a Christian and I say yes.

In order to answer that question, you need to first make sure what a Jew is in God's eyes, not by your own standard.

Luke 16:16-17 (NIV2011)
The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.
It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.

God asks the preaching of OT Laws should stop at the point of John the Baptist. It is so because it is expected that at a certain point, no Jews nor gentiles can rely on the old covenant to be saved. Since then everyone (both Jews and gentiles) should preach the new gospel.

At the same time it by no means says that the OT laws are obsolete from a legal and lawful point of view. The Law are still there but no one (including Jews and gentiles) can rely on it to be saved. Thus everyone needs to preach the new gospel in order to enter the Kingdom of God.

So if you are doing the opposite, you may no longer be a Jew in God's dictionary. It's because you are standing in God's way of providing His salvation to humankind (both Jews and gentiles).

Revelation 3:9 (NIV2011)
I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

A male Jew is thus,

1) one who was circumcised on the 8th day after his birth
Stop preaching the OT also bears the meaning that no convert from gentiles will be accepted as a Jew.

2) one chooses to continue to abide by the old covenant (i.e., Mosaic Law) the best he can
which is, you may choose to observe but not to preach.

3) one who's not standing in God's way of providing salvation for humankind.
he thus needs to stop preaching the Law and Prophets. Everyone starting from the point of John the Baptist shall preach only the new gospel.

This is how one like you can be both a Jew and a Christian.

Last edited:

meshak

BANNED
Banned

here it is:

John 8:39-44New King James Version (NKJV)

39 They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.”

Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.”

Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father—God.”

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.

clefty

here it is:

John 8:39-44New King James Version (NKJV)

39 They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.”

Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.”

Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father—God.”

42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. 43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.

Nope I see nothing there about spiritual jew...Israel maybe but if you squint...

clefty

Jew and the Israel is symbol of faithful followers.

there are many like it like David and so forth...

You said

“If you are Jesus' follower, you are a spiritual Jew.
Jesus says so.”

Still waiting to see it...

Paul says no more jews in Him...I do see that

meshak

BANNED
Banned
You said

“If you are Jesus' follower, you are a spiritual Jew.
Jesus says so.”

Still waiting to see it...

Paul says no more jews in Him...I do see that

I just explained that.

Jews and Israel are both symbol of faithfulness.

end of discussion.

take it or leave it.

good day.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
In order to answer that question, you need to first make sure what a Jew is in God's eyes, not by your own standard.
It is possible to be a convert. Because a person can accept the Torah when he once was not required to do so.
Luke 16:16-17 (NIV2011)
The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.
It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law.
Good Scripture.
God asks the preaching of OT Laws should stop at the point of John the Baptist.
I am not sure about this because Jesus instructed that He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets.
It is so because it is expected that at a certain point, no Jews nor gentiles can rely on the old covenant to be saved.
True. The old covenant or the Law does not save anyone.
Since then everyone (both Jews and gentiles) should preach the new gospel.
What do you mean by new gospel? Do you believe that there was a gospel called old? The word gospel can mean message. Sometimes though people refer to the gospel message.
At the same time it by no means says that the OT laws are obsolete from a legal and lawful point of view.
I am not sure what you mean here.
The Law are still there but no one (including Jews and gentiles) can rely on it to be saved.
No one can be saved by the Law.
Thus everyone needs to preach the new gospel in order to enter the Kingdom of God.
What a person preaches does not determine if they may enter the Kingdom of God as far as I know.
So if you are doing the opposite, you may no longer be a Jew in God's dictionary.

It's because you are standing in God's way of providing His salvation to humankind (both Jews and gentiles).
Oh, okay. I think I understand your point.
Revelation 3:9 (NIV2011)
I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.
Amen. I am not sure the context of this however.
A male Jew is thus,
Listening...
1) one who was circumcised on the 8th day after his birth
Stop preaching the OT also bears the meaning that no convert from gentiles will be accepted as a Jew.
Incorrect. To become a Jewish convert one must be circumcised. I already was circumcised. Some people remain uncircumcised.
2) one chooses to continue to abide by the old covenant (i.e., Mosaic Law) the best he can
which is, you may choose to observe but not to preach.
There is no problem sharing God's commands and commandments with others. Many forget this. What a person does, how he does this, is important.
3) one who's not standing in God's way of providing salvation for humankind.
he thus needs to stop preaching the Law and Prophets. Everyone starting from the point of John the Baptist shall preach only the new gospel.
You will be forgetting to preach all of God's Word. Do preach the gospel. Not without or apart from God's word or commands I think. Your thoughts here?
This is how one like you can be both a Jew and a Christian.
Thank you for your thoughts. I am not sure what this means, but it is important to try to understand it. My understanding is that you either mean that it allows for this or that it caused this. I think you are saying that a person who preaches the gospel and obeys God's commandments personally is not in a bad situation.