Born Dead - Spiritual Stillbirth

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyStan

Dead people are lifeless. They cannot choose to do anything in this world. According to God's truth every person is a spiritual stillbirth. They are born dead in sins and transgressions (Eph2:1,3). Human nature is under God's wrath (Eph2:3). Everyone gratifies the cravings of their corrupted nature. Everyone follows the desires and thoughts of their sinful nature.
Everyone follows the ways of this world and the Devil (Eph2:2).
Such spiritually dead people cannot savingly choose Christ or please God. Their will is not free to choose Christ and so be born again. No! Logically not! First God makes dead sinners alive(Eph2:5). Then that new life through Christ(Eph2:5) demonstrates faith in Christ.
New birth precedes faith.

Samie

Dead people are lifeless. They cannot choose to do anything in this world. According to God's truth every person is a spiritual stillbirth. They are born dead in sins and transgressions (Eph2:1,3) . . .
I don't think Paul meant what you say is meant by the verse you used.

KJV Ephesians 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Paul was simply saying "you were dead" NOT "you were born dead" (stillbirth). They could either be born dead as in stillbirth, or born alive then died.

Who has the final say as to whether Paul meant they were born dead or born alive and then died. I guess it's neither you nor me. It's Paul himself:

KJV Romans 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Seems clear from Paul: alive first then died.

The same scenario described by Jesus in the parables of the lost sheep, lost coin, and lost son. Luke 15.

1. Before the sheep got lost, it was with its shepherd. vv4 – 7
2. Before the coin was lost, it was with its owner. vv8 – 10
3. Before the son went lost, he was with his father. vv11 – 24

The lost sheep, the lost coin, and the lost son, did not start out lost. So with us sinners. Before we got lost we were initially with God. We were born NOT lost. And to be NOT lost is to be in Christ. Hence, we were born in Christ, instead of born in sin.

And to be born in Christ, is to be born NOT apart from Him, born part of His Body. And born attached to Him Who is our Strength, we can do SOMETHING instead of NOTHING. We can repent.

This is why in the gospel that Christ preached, He calls people to repentance (Mark 1:14, 15), the same call to repentance God issued in the OT (Ezek 18:30), the same call for people to repent that God NOW COMMANDS all men everywhere to do (Acts 17:30). Repentance is a change of mind for that which is good, instead of doing evil, we change our minds and do good. In other words, we have to overcome evil with good (Rom 12:21).

Christ assures us that overcomers will NOT be blotted out from the book of life and will be seated with Him in His throne, even as He also overcame and sat down with the Father in His throne (Rev 3:5, 21). All not blotted out from the book of life will be ushered to the heavenly portals (Rev 21:27). All blotted out will have their portion in the lake of fire (Rev 21:27).

Jerry Shugart

Such spiritually dead people cannot savingly choose Christ or please God. Their will is not free to choose Christ and so be born again. No! Logically not! First God makes dead sinners alive(Eph2:5). Then that new life through Christ(Eph2:5) demonstrates faith in Christ.

First no one is saved by "choosing" Christ but insteadthey are saved when they "believe" the gospel.

And it is "believing" which brings life to those who are dead in sin:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:30-31).

Samie

First no one is saved by "choosing" Christ but insteadthey are saved when they "believe" the gospel.

And it is "believing" which brings life to those who are dead in sin:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name" (Jn.20:30-31).
Hi Jerry,

When one is NOT saved, he is APART from Christ. And when one is APART from Him, Christ said he can do NOTHING.

But here you are saying those not saved (those APART from Christ) can do SOMETHING - they can believe.

Is there no contradiction in what you are saying vis-a-vis what Christ Himself said? Please explain. Thanks.

BoyStan

Thanks Jerry for your comment. Spiritually dead persons cannot believe in Christ. As with the Ephesian saints God must first make them 'alive'(Eph2:5). Those 'gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts' cannot believe in Christ unless God first makes the 'alive'(Eph2:5).

Samie

Thanks Jerry for your comment. Spiritually dead persons cannot believe in Christ. As with the Ephesian saints God must first make them 'alive'(Eph2:5). Those 'gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts' cannot believe in Christ unless God first makes the 'alive'(Eph2:5).
You are saying that people are born spiritually dead then made alive. You base your order of events on verses written by the apostle Paul.

Your order of events: born dead then made alive.

But Paul himself tells of an order of events exactly opposite to yours.
His order of events: alive first then died and made alive.

Can you please explain? Thanks.

BoyStan

It is not my order. It is the apostle's order. A dead person can do nothing unless first made alive. This applies in the natural world and the spiritual realm also. There is no such possibility of a dead person making themselves alive. Dead is dead, both spiritually and naturally. Please explain what it is you understand about being dead spiritually?

BoyStan

Today's gospel invitation,'Invite Jesus into your life' or 'Accept Jesus died for your sins' or other versions of it all suggest that you get saved by choosing Christ. Choose Christ then be born again and your saved. I suppose choosing Christ implies some degree of belief in Christ. However, being dead in sin means you cannot believe in Christ unto salvation. first God grants you life in the new birth then that new life expresses itself in belief in Christ.(Eph2:5).

Zeke

Dead people are lifeless. They cannot choose to do anything in this world. According to God's truth every person is a spiritual stillbirth. They are born dead in sins and transgressions (Eph2:1,3). Human nature is under God's wrath (Eph2:3). Everyone gratifies the cravings of their corrupted nature. Everyone follows the desires and thoughts of their sinful nature.

Everyone is born a living man, the after birth is the strawman created on paper/birth certificate that becomes the artificial persona you grow up thinking you are, you are legally dead as long as you answer to that contract/covenant of death.

BoyStan

Thanks for the response Zeke. But it has nothing to do with spiritual birth and the text Eph 2:1-5.
I am completely bamboozled at what might be the connection

Samie

It is not my order. It is the apostle's order. . .
Apostle Paul's order of events:

KJV Romans 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Seems clear from the apostle: alive first then died.

To say that his order of events is, as you said, born dead then made alive, there is no point in time where he was first alive then died as per Rom 9:7.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
This blasphemous doctrine did not exist prior to Augustine. It is one of the clearest examples of the unjust nature of Calvin's god and why I insist that many Calvinists are not even Christians.

Notice that Ephesians 2 (nor any other part of Ephesians) says one syllable about our having been spiritually stillborn. Calvinists do this sort of thing seemingly constantly. It's as though they know no other way of doing bible study or of making biblical arguments. This kind of shameless eisegesis must be intentional, it seems to me. It is either an example of collosal ignorance to the point of stupidity or else it is an intentional lie because the text of Ephesians 2 simply isn't about Original Sin.

In fact, the very same author that wrote Ephesians also wrote Romans and we learn from him that God, through Christ's death at Calvary dealt with the effects of Adam's sin.

Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— 13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. 15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. 16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. 17 For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)

18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.​

Notice the phrase, "because all sinned", by the way. Further, in Romans 7 Paul states explicityly that he was once alive and then died WHEN HE SINNED!

Romans 7:7b I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.​

God does NOT punish people for the sins of their ancenstors! There is an entire chapter in the bible about that exact point. Here, read it!

READ IT!!! This is a text based web forum where we discuss doctrine. Reading one chapter of the bible won't kill you. Just read it! All of it!

Ezekiel 18:1 The word of the Lord came to me again, saying, 2 “What do you mean when you use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying:

‘The fathers have eaten sour grapes,
And the children’s teeth are set on edge’?

3 “As I live,” says the Lord God, “you shall no longer use this proverb in Israel.

4 “Behold, all souls are Mine;
The soul of the father
As well as the soul of the son is Mine;
The soul who sins shall die.

5 But if a man is just
And does what is lawful and right;
6 If he has not eaten on the mountains,
Nor lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel,
Nor defiled his neighbor’s wife,
Nor approached a woman during her impurity;
7 If he has not oppressed anyone,
But has restored to the debtor his pledge;
Has robbed no one by violence,
But has given his bread to the hungry
And covered the naked with clothing;
8 If he has not exacted usury
Nor taken any increase,
But has withdrawn his hand from iniquity
And executed true judgment between man and man;
9 If he has walked in My statutes
And kept My judgments faithfully—
He is just;
He shall surely live!”
Says the Lord God.

10 “If he begets a son who is a robber
Or a shedder of blood,
Who does any of these things
11 And does none of those duties,
But has eaten on the mountains
Or defiled his neighbor’s wife;
12 If he has oppressed the poor and needy,
Robbed by violence,
Not restored the pledge,
Lifted his eyes to the idols,
Or committed abomination;
13 If he has exacted usury
Or taken increase—
Shall he then live?
He shall not live!
If he has done any of these abominations,
He shall surely die;
His blood shall be upon him.

14 “If, however, he begets a son
Who sees all the sins which his father has done,
And considers but does not do likewise;
15 Who has not eaten on the mountains,
Nor lifted his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel,
Nor defiled his neighbor’s wife;
16 Has not oppressed anyone,
Nor withheld a pledge,
Nor robbed by violence,
But has given his bread to the hungry
And covered the naked with clothing;
17 Who has withdrawn his hand from the poor
And not received usury or increase,
But has executed My judgments
And walked in My statutes—
He shall not die for the iniquity of his father;
He shall surely live!

18 “As for his father,
Because he cruelly oppressed,
Robbed his brother by violence,
And did what is not good among his people,
Behold, he shall die for his iniquity.

19 “Yet you say, ‘Why should the son not bear the guilt of the father?’ Because the son has done what is lawful and right, and has kept all My statutes and observed them, he shall surely live. 20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

21 “But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 22 None of the transgressions which he has committed shall be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he has done, he shall live. 23 Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?” says the Lord God, “and not that he should turn from his ways and live?

24 “But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? All the righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; because of the unfaithfulness of which he is guilty and the sin which he has committed, because of them he shall die.

25 “Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not fair.’ Hear now, O house of Israel, is it not My way which is fair, and your ways which are not fair? 26 When a righteous man turns away from his righteousness, commits iniquity, and dies in it, it is because of the iniquity which he has done that he dies. 27 Again, when a wicked man turns away from the wickedness which he committed, and does what is lawful and right, he preserves himself alive. 28 Because he considers and turns away from all the transgressions which he committed, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 29 Yet the house of Israel says, ‘The way of the Lord is not fair.’ O house of Israel, is it not My ways which are fair, and your ways which are not fair?

30 “Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, everyone according to his ways,” says the Lord God. “Repent, and turn from all your transgressions, so that iniquity will not be your ruin. 31 Cast away from you all the transgressions which you have committed, and get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O house of Israel? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies,” says the Lord God. “Therefore turn and live!”​

That last paragraph is one my very favorite passages in all the bible. The chapter crushes Original Sin into dust but right there at the end, in six short little sentences, God's own words rip Calvinism's guts out. I wonder what percentage of Calvinists even know that this chapter exists. How many of their core doctrines cannot survive a single reading of it?

Reading in Him,
Clete

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
They are born dead in sins and transgressions (Eph2:1,3)

Really? Because I don't see that in those verses, at all :rolleyes:
I think a lot of people make the mistake of concluding with more than what the scriptures actually conclude with.

Do you believe that stillborn babies go to Hell? If not, than you render God's covenant with us arbitrary alongside a notion that infants are nonetheless some accursed, pagan beings to be evangelized.

Jerry Shugart

But here you are saying those not saved (those APART from Christ) can do SOMETHING - they can believe.

Of course those who are spiritually dead can believe since the gospel comes in the power of the Holy Spirit. And once they believe they are given life as a result of believing:

The Calvinists teach that one must be given life prior tobelieving to enable them to believe but the Scriptures teach that life comes as a RESULT of believing.

The Calvinists believe that the Holy Spirit which comes with the gospel is impotent to bring life to those who are dead in sin.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Thanks Jerry for your comment. Spiritually dead persons cannot believe in Christ.

According to your mistaken view those who are spiritually dead mustreceive life PRIOR to believing in orderto enable them to believe. However, the Apostle John makes it plain that this life comes as a result of believing and not prior to believing:

Jerry Shugart

However, being dead in sin means you cannot believe in Christ unto salvation. first God grants you life in the new birth then that new life expresses itself in belief in Christ.(Eph2:5).

No, here we see that the Jews who received the Lord Jesus received the new life as a resultof their believing in Him:

"He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God" (Jn.1:11-13).

Status
Not open for further replies.