Atheism died in the 20th century

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I am going to guess that if someone believes they are a squirrel, they are either super high or nuttier than a fruitcake. In both cases, the belief wouldn't be criminal, though there might be the need for medical or legal intervention if they were a threat to themselves or others.

If it were real, not silly, then what would be needed is a certificate of mental illness. Then would have to be treated in a mental institution. The same, if anyone's religious beliefs meant to them, they needed to kill nonbelievers.

shopkinslpskids

Yep ... which is exactly why I am against the outlawing of ANY religion. We outlaw *actions* ... not beliefs.
Home*>*Beyond the Pilgrim Story*> Text of Mayflower Compact

Search PHM Site**

Text of Mayflower Compact:

In the name of God, Amen. We whose names are under-written, the loyal subjects of our dread sovereign Lord, King James, by the grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland King, Defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one of another, covenant and combine our selves together into a civil body politic, for our better ordering and preservation and furtherance of the ends aforesaid; and by virtue hereof to enact, constitute, and frame such just and equal laws, ordinances, acts, constitutions and offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the general good of the Colony, unto which we promise all due submission and obedience. In witness whereof we have hereunder subscribed our names at Cape Cod, the eleventh of November [New Style, November 21], in the year of the reign of our sovereign lord, King James, of England, France, and Ireland, the eighteenth, and of Scotland the fifty-fourth. Anno Dom. 1620.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

shopkinslpskids

Yes, you have made that claim and have still not backed it up. America is and always has been a nation for people who are religious as well as non-religious.
Once again, this is not an atheist nation. The founding fathers made this clear in various speeches and documents. It isn't a Muslim nation, either. Separations between church and state occur to protect the church.

shopkinslpskids

Yes, you have made that claim and have still not backed it up. America is and always has been a nation for people who are religious as well as non-religious.
Please re-read my earlier comments where I quoted the Mayflower Compact, which clearly states the purpose of our conception was to advance Christianity. Thanks.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
America is a Christian nation.
Rather, it is a nation founded largely by and largely comprised of Christians. It is a nation that protects religious liberty. Even the liberty of faiths you find undesirable.

Read the Declaration of Independence and the Mayflower Compact.
Rather, read the actual operating manual of our nation, the Constitution.

I think for common sense security measures, Islam should be temporarily banned.
Which only underscores that "common sense" isn't reliable and remains demonstrably inferior to actual reason. Islam is overwhelmingly peaceful. A segment, a sliver of that 1.5 billion strong faith are acting against its interests.

Most of those dying at the hands of ISIS are Muslim. And most of those dying to correct and fight it are also Muslim.

Once again, this is not an atheist nation.
It's a secular republic that professes, as that republic, no particular faith.

The founding fathers made this clear in various speeches and documents.
The only document that controls the operation and foundation of the republic is the Constitution. The founders understood that when they failed to establish a national religion or to reference a particular faith in its operating manual.

It isn't a Muslim nation, either. Separations between church and state occur to protect the church.
Separation of church and state is meant to protect us from a state sanctioned church and the evils that historically attended. We never erased a third of our population over whose exegesis was superior. Catholic and Protestant lived and live in peace here. As does the Jew, the Muslim, the Hindu, the Buddhist, and even those who determine to live their life without a particular faith.

The freedom to hold our own beliefs so long as the exercise thereof fails to encroach upon the free exercise of the rights of others is fundamental to our social compact. What you propose is a violation of the core of that republic and should be opposed by anyone who values it.

The Mayflower Compact has no legal effect on the state or numerous peoples who came after it and formed a new nation among men.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Once again, this is not an atheist nation.

I never stated it was ... it is a nation that promotes freedom OF religion as well as freedom FROM religion. What that means is that you are free to worship whatever deity you please ...

What you are not free to do is use your personal religious beliefs as a way to deny the rights of those who do not believe as you do. It's a simple concept and anyone who truly values freedom would support it.

glorydaz

I never stated it was ... it is a nation that promotes freedom OF religion as well as freedom FROM religion. What that means is that you are free to worship whatever deity you please ...

What you are not free to do is use your personal religious beliefs as a way to deny the rights of those who do not believe as you do. It's a simple concept and anyone who truly values freedom would support it.

Always adding to the Constitution. Freedom "FROM" religion. :chuckle:

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Interplanner

Rather, it is a nation founded largely by and largely comprised of Christians. It is a nation that protects religious liberty. Even the liberty of faiths you find undesirable.

Which only underscores that "common sense" isn't reliable and remains demonstrably inferior to actual reason. Islam is overwhelmingly peaceful. A segment, a sliver of that 1.5 billion strong faith are acting against its interests.

Most of those dying at the hands of ISIS are Muslim. And most of those dying to correct and fight it are also Muslim.

The only document that controls the operation and foundation of the republic is the Constitution. The founders understood that when they failed to establish a national religion or to reference a particular faith in its operating manual.

Separation of church and state is meant to protect us from a state sanctioned church and the evils that historically attended. We never erased a third of our population over whose exegesis was superior. Catholic and Protestant lived and live in peace here. As does the Jew, the Muslim, the Hindu, the Buddhist, and even those who determine to live their life without a particular faith.

The freedom to hold our own beliefs so long as the exercise thereof fails to encroach upon the free exercise of the rights of others is fundamental to our social compact. What you propose is a violation of the core of that republic and should be opposed by anyone who values it.

The Mayflower Compact has no legal effect on the state or numerous peoples who came after it and formed a new nation among men.

There are however surveys of Islamic youth in the UK where the approval of recent acts is as high as 50%. By and large, the figure I usually hear for the violent percent is 8-10, because it means about 150M. The theological problem that generates violence remains: Medinia naqzic Meccia (doctrines taught in Medina trump tolerant doctrines taught earlier in Mecca).

shopkinslpskids

Nowhere is it found that the Constitution has anything that says freedom from religion, sorry.

shopkinslpskids

1) The Constitution is a system of laws. It does not state the Christian ideals that we were indeed built on because it is giving laws, not ideals.

2) America put the Japanese in camps. In times of war, you do what is necessary to protect the nation and we are indeed in a time of war.

3) The cemetery stones of the people who gave us our freedoms have crosses.

4) We are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights, that all men are created equal.

5) I pledge allegiance to the flag...one nation, UNDER GOD, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
1) The Constitution is a system of laws.
Well, it sets out the parameters, limitations and underpinnings of codified law found elsewhere.

It does not state the Christian ideals that we were indeed built on because it is giving laws, not ideals.
Not really. Check out the preamble. "We the people, in order to..." no "establish or protect a Christian state" in sight, though it's a clear statement of founding principle and the inclusion would have been easy enough, as it would have been in the Declaration.

2) America put the Japanese in camps. In times of war, you do what is necessary to protect the nation and we are indeed in a time of war.
A decision widely recognized as both unjust and questionable as a matter of law in relation to Constitutional protections. See: Ex Parte Endo. The camps were undone before the war actually ended, in large part because of the challenges to the action. Congress appointed a committee to look into the episode and it concluded it was largely an unreasonable product of wartime hysteria and racism. Reparations were paid out to many in time.

It's a dark moment in our nation's history, but unsurprising given the anti-Semitic and racist streaks that ran through Roosevelt (see: his treatment of Jesse Owens and slow to no action in relation to Jews he knew were being slaughtered, appointment of Klan friendly Justices and general coziness with racist policy).

3) The cemetery stones of the people who gave us our freedoms have crosses.
Do you even know anyone who has been to Arlington? :plain:

Historically, crosses marked graves because most of the people lying there were Christian.

4) We are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights, that all men are created equal.
You want a list of religions that would be comfortable with the word Creator?

5) I pledge allegiance to the flag...one nation, UNDER GOD, indivisible with liberty and justice for all.
Again, you want the list?

shopkinslpskids

Well, it sets out the parameters, limitations and underpinnings of codified law found elsewhere.

Not really. Check out the preamble. "We the people, in order to..." no "establish or protect a Christian state" in sight, though it's a clear statement of founding principle and the inclusion would have been easy enough, as it would have been in the Declaration.

A decision widely recognized as both unjust and questionable as a matter of law in relation to Constitutional protections. See: Ex Parte Endo. The camps were undone before the war actually ended, in large part because of the challenges to the action. Congress appointed a committee to look into the episode and it concluded it was largely an unreasonable product of wartime hysteria and racism. Reparations were paid out to many in time.

It's a dark moment in our nation's history, but unsurprising given the anti-Semitic and racist streaks that ran through Roosevelt (see: his treatment of Jesse Owens and slow to no action in relation to Jews he knew were being slaughtered, appointment of Klan friendly Justices and general coziness with racist policy).

Do you even know anyone who has been to Arlington? :plain: Historically, crosses marked graves because most of the people lying there were Christian.

1) Allah is not God, or he would be called God instead.

2)Washington, the only President voted in unanimously, that you cannot properly GOVERN a nation without the BIBLE.

3) Last I saw, we don't swear people in on the Koran.

4) Wake up. In the past we killed or deported Communists. Now Muslims are attacking us. It's just war. Common sense!

shopkinslpskids

Do you even know anyone who has been to Arlington? :plain:

Historically, crosses marked graves because most of the people lying there were Christian.

Roosevelt saved the Jews from camps. Everyone is anti Semitic to you guys.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
America is a Christian nation. Read the Declaration of Independence and the Mayflower Compact. I think for common sense security measures, Islam should be temporarily banned.

Try reading the Constitution. that is the final document

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
If it were real, not silly, then what would be needed is a certificate of mental illness. Then would have to be treated in a mental institution. The same, if anyone's religious beliefs meant to them, they needed to kill nonbelievers.
Like the Pilgrims who killed native Americans?