ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
ItIsWritten said:
This formulation of course is simply another way of claiming that God doesn't know THE TRUTH about the future, i.e. God isn't sure / can't know what will ACTUALLY HAPPEN.
On the contrary. If the future exists as contingencies then to know those contingencies would be to know the truth about the future.

This is of course no different than someone knowing ALL THE POSSIBLE WINNING LOTTERY COMBINATIONS for next week -- but what they DON'T know is WHICH OF THE POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS WILL ACTUALLY OCCUR.
Exactly.

But the idea that God does not know what will ACTUALLY OCCUR does not fit with what we find revealed in scripture.
Saying it doesn't make it so.

This is in fact a mindless comment. There are dozens of books written on the subject of open theism and many thousands of open theists, all of whom believe in open theism precisely because of the Biblical evidence.

Resting in Him,
Clete

ItIsWritten

Saying 'x' DOES NOT make 'x' true

Saying 'x' DOES NOT make 'x' true

Clete said:
This is in fact a mindless comment.
Clete said:
Saying it doesn't make it so.
Your second statement is correct. Your first statement is simple name-calling and your second statement applies to the first.

Clete said:
There are dozens of books written on the subject of open theism and many thousands of open theists, all of whom believe in open theism precisely because of the Biblical evidence.
This nonsense is as silly as 'the one with the most books on the subject wins'!

What because the Catholics or Jehovah's Witnesses or ANY OTHER GROUP OF BELIEVERS IN THIS-OR -THAT IDEA have "dozens of books" espousing their position THEREFORE IT IS TRUE? Don't you recoginze a logical error when you've made one?

"Because LOTS OF PEOPLE BELIEVE 'x' (open theism), 'x' (open theism, i.e. Clete in this case) CAN'T BE WRONG."

Give me a break!

Remember, Saying it doesn't make it so -- and that's true even if "thousands" of people say it's so -- because it's just more of the same.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
ItIsWritten said:
This formulation of course is simply another way of claiming that God doesn't know THE TRUTH about the future, i.e. God isn't sure / can't know what will ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

This is of course no different than someone knowing ALL THE POSSIBLE WINNING LOTTERY COMBINATIONS for next week -- but what they DON'T know is WHICH OF THE POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS WILL ACTUALLY OCCUR.

But the idea that God does not know what will ACTUALLY OCCUR does not fit with what we find revealed in scripture.

Chapter and verse for your last assumption? There are two motifs in Scripture. God settles/knows some of the future, while some of the future is unsettled, contigent, and known as possible until it becomes actual.

What is the rational explanation for God knowing who will win the 2006 Stanley Cup (hockey) trillions of years before it is actually, freely played out?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
epistemaniac said:
I never said anything about debating you. If that is what you think everyone wants to do, then you are apparently an egomaniac and think that its all about you.
Yeah, Clete, you seem to think that everyone who comes to this debate site and picks at your posts trying to prove that your ideas and beliefs are wrong must want to debate you. Get with it!

Be that as it may, given your apparent lack of even how to spell certain basic words, I am a little uncertain at the prospect of debating you. If you can’t spell the concepts correctly, how could I expect you to even understand the issues involved? ;)
epistemaniac, should we likewise make assumptions based on your inability to use quote tags? :rolleyes:

You might find this to be helpful.

blessings
"Lol... you're ignorant. Lol... You're just like the Jehovah's Witnesses. Lol... You're an idiot. Blessings!"

:freak:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
ItIsWritten said:
Your second statement is correct. Your first statement is simple name-calling and your second statement applies to the first.

This nonsense is as silly as 'the one with the most books on the subject wins'!

What because the Catholics or Jehovah's Witnesses or ANY OTHER GROUP OF BELIEVERS IN THIS-OR -THAT IDEA have "dozens of books" espousing their position THEREFORE IT IS TRUE? Don't you recoginze a logical error when you've made one?

"Because LOTS OF PEOPLE BELIEVE 'x' (open theism), 'x' (open theism, i.e. Clete in this case) CAN'T BE WRONG."

Give me a break!

Remember, Saying it doesn't make it so -- and that's true even if "thousands" of people say it's so -- because it's just more of the same.
Yes, I do recognize when I've made a logical error. I did not commit the error you accuse me of but I can see why you made that conclusion. I should have worded my comment differently. The emphasis was intented to be on the point about thousands of people having come to the open view position based on the Biblical evidence. The Biblical evidence being to cornerstone of the entire movement and the theme of every book written on the subject. I was not making the argument that "thousands of people can't be wrong". I was simply establishing (although less than thoroughly) the comment about your mindlessness for having flatly asserted that open theism is not Biblical, which you made on a website created expressly for the purpose of presenting and debating the Biblical argument for Open Theism.

Resting in Him,
Clete

epistemaniac

Turbo said:
Yeah, Clete, you seem to think that everyone who comes to this debate site and picks at your posts trying to prove that your ideas and beliefs are wrong must want to debate you. Get with it!

epistemaniac, should we likewise make assumptions based on your inability to use quote tags? :rolleyes:

You might find this to be helpful.

"Lol... you're ignorant. Lol... You're just like the Jehovah's Witnesses. Lol... You're an idiot. Blessings!"

:freak:

inane babble....

blessings

epistemaniac

Clete said:
epistemaniac,

The typical open theist believes that God does know all future contingencies, but that He knows them as just that, contingencies.

And as I've already pointed out your guilt by association argument does not hold any water, either from a theological or a rational perspective and yet you presist in presenting it. Typical. :rolleyes:

Further, your arrogance is astounding. Pastor Hill has been an open theist probably longer than you've been alive and certainly longer than you've been studying open theism or even theology for that matter. Show some respect and pay attention to what you are being told, you might just learn something.

I haven't read your post in response to me yet. If I don't respond within the next 24 hours it will be because I've determined that you are not interested in honest debate. Judging by the way you reacted to Pastor Hill, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Resting in Him,
Clete

look, I responded to a question that wasn't from you at all... you initiated this nonsense by being sarcastic, so I returned the favor, now you and Turbo want to start whining because I speak as I am being spoken to. You are the typical TOL bully, trying to sneer and ridicule anyone or everyone that dares to disagree with you, but then you start whining like wimps when you get the same treatment. It is apparently just fine for you to say that I look silly, that I make ignorant and erroneous (“erronious”!!) statements, but if the same is said about your not even being able to spell out your accusations that someone else is making ignorant and blatantly “erronious” statements, you can't take it. Either stop dishing it out, or start taking it like a man and expect to be spoken to in the same way you are being addressed. IOW, if you get sarcastic, expect it in return.

You speak of the "typical open theist"... ok.... where are your stats to back up your claim?... surely you do not expect me to just take your word for it, do you? As if you would just take mine!! lol....

Whatever your impression of what the typical open theist believes, quoting what Clark Pinnock says is to quote a leading Open theist apologist. If you disagree with him, thats fine. But I was just responding to another poster (ninjashadow) who asked a question accompanied by some stereotypical caricatures of classical theism, I simply responded to their post with the same sort of reply, if you want to chime in then fine, but I wasn't talking to you in the first place....

you are right as far as the guilty by association comments go.... of course, this sword cuts both ways, and Open Theists are often very quick to commit this fallacy by comparing classical Christianity to Greek Philosophy... so my suggestion to you is this... don't compare classical Christianity to Greek philosophy (as you have already done), or, if you do, don't whine when similarities in Open Theistic beliefs to Deism, Process philosophy and the Socninians are pointed out ..... you can't have it both ways... again, either don't dish it out, or learn to take it because you have dished it out.....

as far as my "arrogance" goes, I have to say that it is your denseness that is astounding... YOU are the one who started all this business of "you don't know me very well do you" and the "don't assume you know what I believe" etc.... so what do you do? the typical double standard hypocrisy.... you tell others to not assume they know you, while you go ahead and presume and assume you know about me....!! and then, you complain when I take the time to tell you a little bit about my background....! the level of arrogance is indeed incredible.... you complain either way.

as far as Bob Hill goes, I made no accusations about what he knows or how long he has been an open theist, I was pointing out to YOU that while I am no scholar, I am well aware of Open Theists beliefs contrary to your insinuations and your assuming otherwise about me (while complaining that I was supposedly assuming things about you!!), and had nothing to do with Bob. In fact, as you will no doubt recall, I said that I was around when TOL first started and had several discussions with Bob back then, and even read some articles when they were first posted back during the early days of TOL.

secondly, there are people who have been Jehovah's Witnesses longer then Bob Hill has been alive or has been studying theology.... so what? Does that automatically mean that they are right? Does the length of time that someone has been studying this or that subject automatically guarantee freedom from error? Of course not, to think otherwise is frankly just stupid. I could point out Calvinists who have been studying theology as long as he has or longer, what does that information mean to you? Nothing. Thats exactly what the length of time Bob has been an open theist means to me, nothing. For the length of time someone has a belief means nothing in and of itself in regard to their beliefs being true or false. It only means that whatever one's beliefs are, hopefully.... hopefully... he or she will be able to defend them well, and in that sense their experience may be beneficial to others. But, I never said otherwise.

Lastly, your arrogance is further evidenced by your thinking that I would lose sleep or something if you do not reply within 24 hours ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please. You have got to be kidding. Oh man... I gotta stop laughing my stomach hurts... whew!!! thats rich!! What!?!? DO you think you are God's gift to theology or something!?!? I could give a flip less if you ever respond to me again, and the fact is, it would be no great loss at all if you never responded to me again. Respond or don't respond, you are the one who started this conversation and I could really care less either way.

blessings

epistemaniac

Clete, you said “epistemaniac, The typical open theist believes that God does know all future contingencies, but that He knows them as just that, contingencies.”
Here is some further proof that you are mistaken, apparently both you and Bob either do not really know what Open Theism believes, or your own beliefs differ from that of the typical Open Theist.
“In the openness debate the content of divine omniscience centers around the nature of the future: is it real? Does is already exist? Is it fully knowable, fully unknowable or partially knowable and partially unknowable? We believe that God could have known every event of the future had God decided to create a fully determined universe. However, in our view God decided to create beings with indeterministic freedom which implies that God chose to create a universe in which the future is not entirely knowable, even for God. For many open theists the “future” is not a present reality—it does not exist—and God knows reality as it is: as both actual and possible. http://www.opentheism.info/

My point is further proven by the approval that numerous leading Open Theists give to the information that follows, these theologians are approving exactly what I said about Open Theists and their view of God not knowing future contingencies because they are not yet “there” yet to know, thus I am exactly correct, contrary to you and Bob. The theologians are: John Sanders, William Hasker, Clark Pinnock, David Basinger and Greg Boyd. This is a veritable “who's who” in Open Theism, and if they all agree with what I said regarding the status of God's knowledge and God not being able to know future contingencies, then I can rest assured that both you and Bob are the ones mistaken regarding what the “typical” Open Theist believes, and not me.
“Open theists on the other hand insist (primarily on biblical grounds) that possibilities are real for God, not because God is other than omniscient, but because creation is other than exhaustively definite. Because creation is dynamic and not static, God is seen as dynamically omniscient. His knowledge of the universe changes as the universe changes.... However, if the future already exists “out there” somewhere in some unknown dimension of time, open theists agree of course that God would know it in that sense. On the other hand, if the future is unformed as such, then our future free choices simply aren’t there to view, and to suggest that such choices are not eternally known by God as what will certainly be is in no way a denial of his omniscience.... The open view argues that God is temporally eternal and not absolutely timeless and that our future free choices do not yet exist in any objective sense of the word for an omniscient being to know.”
http://www.opentheism.info/pdf/belt/summary_aog.pdf

So remember what you said earlier? Lol.... Here are your “words of wisdom”, spelling errors and all.. ;) :
You might want to stick with what you know and stop guessing. You look silly when you make such blatently erronious and ignorant comments

ROFLOL!! whew... what a riot!!! You comment refers not only to you and your inability to at least spell check your insults, you were apparently so concerned to insult me that you failed to take into account exactly how silly your attempt at insult would look, and at how silly your own “ blatently erronious and ignorant comments” would look!! lol.... you failed to take into account that your attempt at “correcting” me would iitself contain “ blatently erronious and ignorant comments”!!!!!

blessings

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
"There is a third way of understanding divine foreknowledge, which I believe, avoids the difficulties of the above two views. But it does so by denying that God possesses EDF, and for this reason it is somewhat controversial. It is generally labeled "open theism" because it holds that God faces a partly open future. It denies that future self-determining actions are more than possibilities before agents actualize them, and thus it affirms that God knows them as possibilities until agents actualize them." - Greg Boyd - The Bible and the Open View of the Future - Page 1: Pargraph three

Epistemaniac,

It took me maybe thirty seconds to find that quote. Your telling me that I don't know what open theists believe is laughable. Everyone who has been on this website for any length of time at all is laughing at you for suggesting otherwise. Open theism is the primary topic that I focus on and I engage anyone who brings it up as soon as the opportunity presents itself, especially if the person who brought it up is new here. I have not been sarcastic or even the slightest bit abusive toward you at all until you decided to be openly disrespectful to Pastor Hill without cause, speaking about things that you clearly do not know to the degree you pretend.

You strike me as an intelligent enough person, but you do not strike me as being at all intellectually honest. However, I am willing (although honestly I can't tell you why) to give you one last chance. If you are willing to step back and reset, so am I. If you think you have a compelling argument then I want to “hear” it, but know that I simply will not tolerate an abusive attitude. You will respond with some intellectual honesty and some rational substance beyond pointing out typos or I'll simply put you on my ignore list and you can debate open theism with someone else who is less tough minded and more easily persuaded by fallacious and emotionally based arguments.

It's up to you. If you want to try this again then post something substantive and I’ll respond.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
William Lane Craig's Molinism/middle knowledge is another problematic view. It should be considered when discussing these issues. Boyd is more understandable and considers his view neo-Molinism (if I recall)...it is different than middle knowledge in the areas of God's knowledge of future contingencies. I also distinguish proximal vs remote knowledge. God has a better idea of what I will chose tomorrow than He did trillions of years ago (I did not exist as an object of knowledge to make future extrapolations based on perfect past and present knowledge of my choices and existence).

Modal logic is another relevant discipline, but it can be complex (deals with contingencies, probabilities, certainties, necessities, etc.). It is relevant in academic discussions. One has to know the symbols. I have enough problems with run of the mill logic.

epistemaniac

Clete said:
"There is a third way of understanding divine foreknowledge, which I believe, avoids the difficulties of the above two views. But it does so by denying that God possesses EDF, and for this reason it is somewhat controversial. It is generally labeled "open theism" because it holds that God faces a partly open future. It denies that future self-determining actions are more than possibilities before agents actualize them, and thus it affirms that God knows them as possibilities until agents actualize them." - Greg Boyd - The Bible and the Open View of the Future - Page 1: Pargraph three

Epistemaniac,

It took me maybe thirty seconds to find that quote. Your telling me that I don't know what open theists believe is laughable. Everyone who has been on this website for any length of time at all is laughing at you for suggesting otherwise. Open theism is the primary topic that I focus on and I engage anyone who brings it up as soon as the opportunity presents itself, especially if the person who brought it up is new here. I have not been sarcastic or even the slightest bit abusive toward you at all until you decided to be openly disrespectful to Pastor Hill without cause, speaking about things that you clearly do not know to the degree you pretend.

You strike me as an intelligent enough person, but you do not strike me as being at all intellectually honest. However, I am willing (although honestly I can't tell you why) to give you one last chance. If you are willing to step back and reset, so am I. If you think you have a compelling argument then I want to “hear” it, but know that I simply will not tolerate an abusive attitude. You will respond with some intellectual honesty and some rational substance beyond pointing out typos or I'll simply put you on my ignore list and you can debate open theism with someone else who is less tough minded and more easily persuaded by fallacious and emotionally based arguments.

It's up to you. If you want to try this again then post something substantive and I’ll respond.

Resting in Him,
Clete

listen Clete, I really could care less whether or not we discuss this or any topic. But one thing that you have to get straight is this, you have got to realize (and this is sad that I have to point it out to you) that saying:
You look silly when you make such blatently erronious and ignorant comments
and you say
you do not strike me as being at all intellectually honest
you are in fact, like it or not, deny it or not, being disrespectful..... surely you don't think they are compliments... do you? And if you do, then you need to realize that I have been nothing, if not equally as complimentary to you. You should be thanking me instead of complaining! lol....

Now, you seem to be an intelligent enough person, but perhaps you were honestly unaware of this bit of rather common sense etiquette... (though I doubt it), so if you are willing to apologize for this, I am willing to say let bygones be bygones and put it behind us. But I will have none of the arrogance or egocentric attitude that wants to think they can talk this way to others and have it over looked as if you have some inherent right to speak condescendingly to me or anyone else for that matter, or that I somehow deserve to be spoken to in this way. I can't even fathom the personality that could think this way, to be honest. What do you think gives you the right to speak in this way? Is it because you think you are so much smarter and spiritual then everyone else? If you think that you have some inherent right to say that my comments were “silly”, “blatantly erroneous” and “ignorant”, and can accuse me of this--> "you do not strike me as being at all intellectually honest" then you have lost the right to complain if others speak to you in the same way.

Secondly, you said
opinions are rubbish and will be basically ignored
This reveals exactly that same kind of attitude that I mentioned above. If you don't think that you have "opinions", that you just “speak the word of God” and nothing else, then once again, perhaps it is either the case that you are not as intelligent as I initially thought, or you are just, in a seriously mentally deficient sense, completely unaware of this fact. If it is the latter, then I urge you to try and be objective and see that you have “opinions” just like anyone else, and that you have no right to speak in insulting/condescending way to others, as if you are in some sense so far above them that for you to even deign to speak to them, they better be counting their blessings. This is arrogance and egocentrism of the first order. I hope that these have just been honest oversights on your behalf, and you will take steps to reorder your thoughts accordingly, that you are not God’s gift to theology, and that you are not so intelligent and spiritual that you think otherwise, such that you may call other people’s comments “silly”, “blatantly erroneous” and “ignorant” and by these kinds of statements, you are somehow being complimentary or something. Even if I was wrong, I do not deserve to be spoken to in this way, and doing so opens the door for like treatment, if, for nothing else, then the hope that you might come to see what it feels like to be on the other end of such language, and thus would change your tone.

So what is rather frightening is that despite all this, you can say
I have not been sarcastic or even the slightest bit abusive toward you at all
Wow.... yeah... frightening... are you that self deceived? If so, I truly feel sorry for you. Saying that someone’s comments are “ignorant” and “blatantly erroneous” is in fact abusive, and if you think they are not, then nothing that I have said to you thus far can be considered “sarcastic” or “abusive” either. You can’t have it both ways…. If you speak to others in such condescending ways, then don’t cry “foul” when you are spoken to in the same exact way.

You said that it took you all of 30 seconds to find the one of the quotes… and….? What? Am I supposed to be impressed by this fact or something? Google is pretty easy for anyone to use, my 6 and 10 yr old sons have mastered this fine art already :)

Secondly, if it was so easy for you, it makes it even sadder that you consider yourself to be an expert in the Open Theistic system of theology and were/are completely mistaken about this basic elementary aspect of their beliefs. I have pointed out to you what the main proponents of Open Theology, Sanders, Pinnock, Hasker, Rice believe regarding the inability, so they say, for God to know future contingencies, for they are not “there” yet to know. Therefore you are mistaken regarding this point, if you are unable or unwilling to admit this, then there truly is no sense in continuing a conversation where you seem to think you have all the answers and cannot admit to even one obvious error. The typical Open Theist believes this, and if you and Bob disagree, then fine, but don’t say that you represent the typical Open Theist in this regard.

So here are my words of counsel to you:
You strike me as an intelligent enough person, but you do not strike me as being at all intellectually honest. However, I am willing (although honestly I can't tell you why) to give you one last chance. If you are willing to step back and reset, so am I. If you think you have a compelling argument then I want to “hear” it, but know that I simply will not tolerate an abusive attitude. You will respond with some intellectual honesty and some rational substance beyond pointing out what you take to be silly or ignorant, or I'll simply put you on my ignore list and you can debate open theism with someone else who is less tough minded and more easily persuaded by fallacious and emotionally based arguments.

Got it? Good. If you can follow these directions, then I am willing to do the same. But don't set yourself up as some kind of god-like guru who is descending to the mere mortals with words of wisdom, wit, sarcasm and abuse, and expect anyone you speak to be walked on like a dirty rug. If you think you have found a patsy who will just roll over at your sarcasm and abuse, you are most assuredly mistaken. But, in all seriousness and due (that is the key word here) respect, I will extend courtesy and respect as it is extended to me, and will do so gladly.

blessings

Last edited:

epistemaniac

here are more thoughts from a "typical" open theist, Greg Boyd, regarding the belief that God can't know future contingencies:

"In the Christian view, God knows all of reality --- everything there is to know. But to assume He knows ahead of time how every person is going to freely act assumes that each person's free activity is already there to know --- even before he freely does it! But its not. If we have been given freedom, we create the reality of our decisions by making them. And until we make them, they don't exist. Thus, in my view at least, there simply isn't anything to know until we make it there to know. So God can't foreknow the good or bad decisions of the people He creates until He creates these people and they, in turn, create their decisions." (Letters From a Skeptic, p30)

Now, lest it be forgotten, one of my original points was that Open Theism resembles Socinianism in this regard (the impossibility for God to know future contingencies). The quotes I gave from Francis Turretin in his battle with the Socinians shows this to be the case. Now this does not, in and of itself mean that either Socinianism or Open Theism are wrong, all it means is that the view that Open Theism takes in regard to the impossibility for God to know future contingencies is not, itself, a new belief, and has ties to a belief system that the church considered heretical in the 1600's. And all this is to point out that just as classical theism has similarities to other worldviews, e.g. the `oft chanted mantra of classical theisms resemblance to some Greek philosophy or other, that this, in and of itself, does not mean that classical theism is itself mistaken. This has to be established, if it can be established, on biblical grounds, and not based on any similarities to any other worldview.

blessings

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
epistemaniac said:
here are more thoughts from a "typical" open theist, Greg Boyd, regarding the belief that God can't know future contingencies:

"In the Christian view, God knows all of reality --- everything there is to know. But to assume He knows ahead of time how every person is going to freely act assumes that each person's free activity is already there to know --- even before he freely does it! But its not. If we have been given freedom, we create the reality of our decisions by making them. And until we make them, they don't exist. Thus, in my view at least, there simply isn't anything to know until we make it there to know. So God can't foreknow the good or bad decisions of the people He creates until He creates these people and they, in turn, create their decisions." (Letters From a Skeptic, p30)

Now, lest it be forgotten, one of my original points was that Open Theism resembles Socinianism in this regard (the impossibility for God to know future contingencies). The quotes I gave from Francis Turretin in his battle with the Socinians shows this to be the case. Now this does not, in and of itself mean that either Socinianism or Open Theism are wrong, all it means is that the view that Open Theism takes in regard to the impossibility for God to know future contingencies is not, itself, a new belief, and has ties to a belief system that the church considered heretical in the 1600's. And all this is to point out that just as classical theism has similarities to other worldviews, e.g. the `oft chanted mantra of classical theisms resemblance to some Greek philosophy or other, that this, in and of itself, does not mean that classical theism is itself mistaken. This has to be established, if it can be established, on biblical grounds, and not based on any similarities to any other worldview.

blessings

Fair enough... I have always supported this balanced concept. It should be remembered that Boyd's thinking has developed and changed over the years. Your quote was not from a recent theology book, but letters that he wrote to his agnostic father (who later became a Christian as the Open view undermined atheistic objections to God's love and goodness). Other teachings of Boyd go a step further. He emphasizes that God can and does know some of the future as settled. He affirms the two motifs in Scripture, not just the one set of texts. God certainly can know contingencies (Craig's Molinism or 'middle knowledge' says that He can know all of them without determining them, but this is still problematic to genuine freedom/contingencies). What OT's disagree with is that He exhaustively saw or knows all future contingencies (this is closer to simple foreknowledge/Arminianism vs Calvinism/determinism). He knows many contingencies, especially proximal to the choices (as opposed to trillions of years ago when there was no relevant objects of knowledge). God knew Peter's and Judas' character based on perfect past and present knowledge. It cannot be extrapolated that He knew these things before the earth was created.

God knows I will likely have a slurpee or ice cream this week. When does He know this? Not from before I was born and developed my addictions. He still knows these contingencies as possible, not certain. I could get sick and die before I have my next fix. I could get motivated and not give in to my cravings. The slurpee machines might be broke.

Failing to distinguish certainty, necessity, possibility, probability, actuality, etc. violates modal logic. God correctly knows things as they are. He knows possible/probable things as such. He knows certain/actual things as such. He knows reality as it is. It is an unwarranted assumption to think the future is there as a possible object of knowledge.

Your understanding of Boyd and Open Theism needs refining lest you reject a straw man caricature of the view. I commend you for at least trying to understand it (I hope you are not just getting quotes from anti-OT books...their Calvinistic assumptions and comments will jade the OT author's intents and credibility).

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
epistemaniac,

As an Open Thiest, I would not say God is learning. He knows all that is knowable. I also think He also knows every possible thing that will happen in the future. But, from Scripture, we see that He is surprised at the things that man actually does, at times.

Man Repents
Ex 13:17 Then it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God did not lead them by way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest perhaps the people change their minds when they see war, and return to Egypt.
Job 42:6 Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes.
Jer 8:6 I listened and heard, but they do not speak aright. No man repented of his wickedness, saying, what have I done? Everyone turned to his own course, as the horse rushes into the battle.
Jer 31:19 Surely, after my turning, I repented; And after I was instructed, I struck myself on the thigh; I was ashamed, yes, even humiliated, because I bore the reproach of my youth.
The same used when God Repents
Gen 6:4-9 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. 5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord repented [it repented the LORD] that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I repent that I have made them. 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. 9 This is the genealogy of Noah. Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Bob Hill said:
epistemaniac,

As an Open Thiest, I would not say God is learning. He knows all that is knowable. I also think He also knows every possible thing that will happen in the future. But, from Scripture, we see that He is surprised at the things that man actually does, at times.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

Clarify. Some things are not possible objects of knowledge. If He knows ever possible thing, did He know who would be playing in this year's Stanley Cup from before creation? No, in an Open View. If we die prematurely in an accident, He would not have known the possibility of what the person would do in retirement. The more proximal to an event, the more possible things He knows. As history unfolds, some possibilities develop while others are taken off the shelf. Once I marry and have kids, new variables come into play. In a sense, God 'learns' about these as it unfolds. His learning is not the same as our learning. However, after testing OT saints, He did say...'now I know...'. God's knowledge of certain things increases as they move from possible to actual. As some choices are made, a new myriad of contingencies become possible. God can extrapolate many things, but I think 'learning' and knowing 'all' possibilities needs to be qualified.

epistemaniac

Bob Hill said:
epistemaniac,

Man Repents
Ex 13:17 Then it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God did not lead them by way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest perhaps the people change their minds when they see war, and return to Egypt.
Job 42:6 Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes.
Jer 8:6 I listened and heard, but they do not speak aright. No man repented of his wickedness, saying, what have I done? Everyone turned to his own course, as the horse rushes into the battle.
Jer 31:19 Surely, after my turning, I repented; And after I was instructed, I struck myself on the thigh; I was ashamed, yes, even humiliated, because I bore the reproach of my youth.
The same used when God Repents
Gen 6:4-9 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. 5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord repented [it repented the LORD] that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I repent that I have made them. 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. 9 This is the genealogy of Noah. Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

as I said, that’s fine if that what you believe, but your belief that God does not learn is contrary to the typical Open Theist which says not only that God can and does learn new things, her can very well be surprised at what he learns.

As far as your proof texts go (and, as I mentioned, I am very well aware of them), it seems reasonable to me to say that a viable alternate interpretation (actually, historically your interpretation would be the alternate interpretation) exists which well explains how God could be said to repent etc., yet still know the future via EF (exhaustive foreknowledge).

blessings

epistemaniac

godrulz said:
Fair enough... I have always supported this balanced concept. It should be remembered that Boyd's thinking has developed and changed over the years. Your quote was not from a recent theology book, but letters that he wrote to his agnostic father (who later became a Christian as the Open view undermined atheistic objections to God's love and goodness). Other teachings of Boyd go a step further. He emphasizes that God can and does know some of the future as settled. He affirms the two motifs in Scripture, not just the one set of texts. God certainly can know contingencies (Craig's Molinism or 'middle knowledge' says that He can know all of them without determining them, but this is still problematic to genuine freedom/contingencies). What OT's disagree with is that He exhaustively saw or knows all future contingencies (this is closer to simple foreknowledge/Arminianism vs Calvinism/determinism). He knows many contingencies, especially proximal to the choices (as opposed to trillions of years ago when there was no relevant objects of knowledge). God knew Peter's and Judas' character based on perfect past and present knowledge. It cannot be extrapolated that He knew these things before the earth was created.

God knows I will likely have a slurpee or ice cream this week. When does He know this? Not from before I was born and developed my addictions. He still knows these contingencies as possible, not certain. I could get sick and die before I have my next fix. I could get motivated and not give in to my cravings. The slurpee machines might be broke.

Failing to distinguish certainty, necessity, possibility, probability, actuality, etc. violates modal logic. God correctly knows things as they are. He knows possible/probable things as such. He knows certain/actual things as such. He knows reality as it is. It is an unwarranted assumption to think the future is there as a possible object of knowledge.

Your understanding of Boyd and Open Theism needs refining lest you reject a straw man caricature of the view. I commend you for at least trying to understand it (I hope you are not just getting quotes from anti-OT books...their Calvinistic assumptions and comments will jade the OT author's intents and credibility).

thanks for the update on Boyd's thinking... I was not aware that he had shifted in this way... what would you recommend (hopefully something free online, being disabled my income is extremely limited) to help me get up to speed on these developments?

I have gone by books that are both older and newer that are from a non-OT perspective... I would not think that this necessarily makes their account of OT wrong any more then I should think that if you read primarily pro-OT books or literature that this would inordinately prejudice you against the Calvinist view, or, even more importantly, that because you read mostly books from the pro OT perspective you cannot get accurate and fair information about what it is that Calvinists believe, though you may hear it second hand, through the works of OT authors. In the end, for me, it is simply a matter of not being able to afford to buy many books any more, so I regret not being able to go out and buy any and every book I would like to get. Sure, it would be nice to get it from the horse's mouth so to speak, and I do have a couple of books from OT authors, but I do not think it any embarrassment to say that out of my relatively large personal library, the majority are Calvinistic. I have had to thin out my books many times over the years due to pressure from my wife!! loll!!!!! So I had many books from all sorts of theological positions, but when forced to weed out many many books, I think you could understand that I kept the reference books from the theological position I eventually came to adapt, ie Calvinistic. At any rate, either side will biased, there is just no avoiding that, but the authors I do have from the non-OT perspective are reputable men who would not, IMHO, intentionally misrepresent OT. I would no think that these authors would be any more likely to intentionally or unintentionally misrepresent the OT view any more then the OT writers would intentionally or unintentionally misrepresent the Calvinistic view.

Overall, however, the point still stands that the typical OT thinks that much of the future, being created by beings with libertarian freedom, simply cannot be known by God because it is not a reality of any sort, and is thus not there for God to know. And if you think about how many decisions these billions of beings make every day, and if the best God can do is surmise what they will do, based on perfect and exhaustive knowledge of the past and present., there is still a great deal (billions upon billions of free will decisions made every moment) that God cannot know.

You said
Failing to distinguish certainty, necessity, possibility, probability, actuality, etc. violates modal logic.
Well, I would think that failure to distinguish between these things would violate any kind of logic. ;)
At any rate, I will have to do some reading to understand modal logic as you are using the phrase. From what I have seen if has the possibility of several different definitions.

You said
It is an unwarranted assumption to think the future is there as a possible object of knowledge
True, if it was truly an unwarranted assumption. However, those who believe in a fixed/combatibilistic view of the nature of God’s relationship to time do not, in fact, feel as if it is either unwarranted, or that it is a careless assumption. If they did, they would not hold to it! Lol…… You need to give credit where credit is due. For the most part, you are very cordial, and I appreciate the level of respect you have given to myself and others, but don’t fall into the trap that just because people disagree with your view, or the OT view, that they do so for irresponsible reasons. I mean, imagine, if you will, if I were to say that you and those in the OT camp think “It is an unwarranted assumption to think that the future is not there as a possible object of knowledge for God.” I do not think you would be very impressed by such an accusation, would you? Likewise, any accusations aimed towards myself or of the authors I mentioned of such careless activities will not be accepted very warmly.

So when you say
What OT's disagree with is that He exhaustively saw or knows all future contingencies.
you are simply saying what I have been saying all along, and what you say is in direct disagreement with Bob and Clete. Either that, or they are having trouble saying what they mean, which seems unlikely as I was able to immediately understand your views, so if there is any trouble in communication per se, it is not coming from my end. The fact is, I think that Bob and Clete's understanding of this issue is at odds with typical OTthey are either unaware of what the typical OT believes, or they consider themselves and their view to be what the typical OT believes. I have shown that this can't be the case, since the authors I cited earlier are all the primary spokesmen fo rthe OT view, and their view is just what I have been saying all along, that God can't know future congencies with certainity, becasue there is no-thing (as I have seen it put) there to know.

As far as the specifics, your slurpee example etc, as I mentioned by giving the books I have read on the subject, I am well aware of the views that OT have regarding the nature of time and God’s relationship to it. The only thing you have clarified is that God can know some things for certain in the future. And this is really not that new either, nor did I deny it, it’s just that I have not had an opportunity to speak about the nuances of OT as I have not been able to even get Bob and Clete to understand the very worldview they claim to have. They claim to be typical OT, but they are anything but. At any rate, I know that the OT say that there are some things God will accomplish (ie “settled”) regardless of what anyone does with their free will, and these things have been settled from before the foundation of the world. The point here is that when you say
He still knows these contingencies as possible, not certain.
God’s knowledge of the future is still not certain, that because of the contingencies brought on by your/their understanding of free will being libertarian in nature, God can’t possibly know for certain what will happen in the future in so far as contingencies based on free will, and not based on other aspects of creation which can be "settled" without interfering with man's exercise of his free will, though God may have some good guesses. God’s knowledge of the future is based on possibilities, i.e. He is the consummate chess player, and not on certainty.

At any rate, I am very grateful for the sane, cordial conversation.

as an aside, the negative rep points are very funny!! As if any Christian who is convinced that their views are biblical is concerned with what "man" thinks!!! lol.... I mean, lets face it, if OT were in the opposite position, posting on a non or even anti OT board and recieved negative rep points for defending OT, they shouldn't give one iota of credence to what anyone there says. If they are convinced that their view is the biblical view, then their reputation to others who disagree, who they think to be in serious doctrinal error, is a moot point. And thats exactly how I feel posting here.

Gal 1:10 esv For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.

blessings

Last edited:

Bob Hill

TOL Subscriber
epistemaniac,

You wrote:
God can't know future congencies with certainity, becasue there is no-thing (as I have seen it put) there to know.

I can agree with your statement: "God can't know future congencies with certainity". But I do believe that God knows every possibility. I also believe that the Bible shows He is surprised with man's choices at times, according to the Bible.

In Christ,
Bob Hill

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Contingencies are essential to genuine freedom, which is essential for reciprocal love relationships. Contingencies are correctly known as possible/probable until they become certain/actual after a present choice. The exhaustive foreknowledge of free will contingencies (they are not determinate by definition) is a logical contradiction/absurdity.

Status
Not open for further replies.